Team Needs

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What positions do we need to draft next year and why?

My opinion:

RB: Need a workhorse, or at least someone big to take at least half of the load from Harris and complete the stable. That's assuming they don't immediately disintegrate as soon as they step on to Lambeau. The value just isn't there to take a back in the first. Never overpay for skill players.

S: MD Jennings CANNOT start, and McMillian is a bit of a box safety. Burnett has great ball skills, you like him in coverage, but he has limited range and gets fooled playing the run. Need to find someone in the same general mold as Burnett, or a true, rangy FS to compliment him. Burnett and Jennings are also in contract years. Seems like the Lebeau 34 is predicated on excellent S play, and our communication in our secondary needs to take a huge leap forward.

TE: La Californa is supposedly reporting Finley is gone. Even if he's not he probably will be next year. Not one of the remaining TE is a decent receiver or match-up.

DL: Pickett and Wilson are in contract years. Pickett, who happens to be the only other NT on the team besides Raji, is aged and will probably not get renewed, and Wilson is the only other decent run stuffer on the team. Worthy was supposed to develop in that regard, but with his injury, he'll probably end up way behind on his development. Give all the young boys some time. Length seems like a fad and an excuse at this point, but that's just my opinion. Still, you can never have too many big boys, right?

C: Some are not ready to hand the starting job to EDS. I can understand, but he will get his shot, and I don't see many guys in this draft beating him out. Gerhart and GVR I have no confidence in. C/G depth need.

WR: Jennings is gone, Jones is in a contract year, and Boykin and Ross are our 4th and 5th options. Ted almost never takes WR in the 1st though, and hasn't since he got here. We like guys that get YAC, run clean routes, and block. All of our WR tend to have big arms too for some reason. Speed need.

OLB: Moses can take the #3 role, but depth, quality depth, is still a must. depth/rotation need.

ILB: Hawk will probably cling to the roster for one more year til he's 30 and we actually save money by cutting him, but the only ILB on the roster (including Hawk) with the potential to be decent in coverage is Manning, who we've yet to see. Future starter need.

QB: I don't know a single guy who likes Harrell. Hopefully Coleman can show some serious improvement. MM likes to have 4 QB in camp anyway. Back-up need.

K: Just for competition, plenty of options. UDFA need.

FB: Kuhn is 30 and in a contract year. We only pay him to pass block on 3rd down. Taylor will probably take over after this year. "If you want to" need.

T: Sherrod is not an unknown. After Flanagan, I'm positive that this fanbase knows more about this injury than any other fanbase. How quickly we forget. He was on his way when he got injured, and he'll be ready to start by next year, but he won't beat out Newhouse this year, nor will anybody we draft. Sherrod WILL get his look though. Barclay will swing between G/T, and contrary to popular naivete, did not do well enough to start at RT. Besides, Barclay is not a LT, neither is Lang. Datko is still around. Bulaga may switch to LT, but I doubt it. Newhouse is less suited for RT, and Sherrod is utterly unsuited. They both see themselves as LT. "Deal with it" need.

CB: Some fans think we don't have a #1 CB. We usually grab a CB anyway. "Why not" need.

Your Opinion?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My opinion:
OL: Specifically C, but I'm starting to believe Sherrod may not be the answer at LT.
DL: Worthy has nothing but his step, and if he can't get that (sometimes even if he can) he fizzles. Neal is a bust, I don't believe in Wilson, and we need another NT (depth)
RB: No lights on the horizon there
WR: If Jennings leaves
TE: If we let go of Finley, we need another matchup guy.
LB: Depth mainly, but I'm also not sold on Perry.
LS: If we let Goode go
K: Don't really need to "draft" one, but Crosby has one job, put the ball between the beams, and one year is all I need to send him off.

Your Opinion?

OL: Agree completely. We need a center that blows people off the line. Barrett Jones and Jonathan Cooper both should be available in the late 1st round. Sherrod's future worries me too, but the top 3 OTs will probably be gone when it comes our turn.

DL: I still have hope for Worthy, but we're gonna need a NT to replace Pickett and a very good one at that. Pickett has been one of the few solid players this year. Unfortunately, Star Lutolelei and Jonathan Hawkins, the top 2 NTs in the draft at this moment, will go early in the 1st round. That leaves Jonathan Jenkins of Georgia and Kawaan Short of Purdue, both of which are probably worth a serious look in round 1. Jesse Williams of Alabama might be a good 2nd round pick.

WR and TE and OT are the next biggest needs. I don't see either Jennings or Finley being here next year. Is Tyler Eifert worth a 1st round pick if he's available? Not sure. WalterFootball has us taking Zack Ertz in round 2. That might be a good pick rather than reaching for Eifert in round 1.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

My opinion:
OL: Specifically C, but I'm starting to believe Sherrod may not be the answer at LT.
DL: Worthy has nothing but his step, and if he can't get that (sometimes even if he can) he fizzles. Neal is a bust, I don't believe in Wilson, and we need another NT (depth)
K: Don't really need to "draft" one, but Crosby has one job, put the ball between the beams, and one year is all I need to send him off.

Your Opinion?

Goode singed a 3 year ext in Oct, he isnt going anywhere

We havent seen Sherrod and Perry enough to say they arent the answer..

Rest I am ok with

12theTruth

We have enough talent on the roster in most position groups but both lines need MAJOR help.

Quality over quantity in next years draft. We have a few compensatory picks so that should give Ted some latittude to package a few picks if he should feel compelled to move up and snag a d lineman in the first or second round.

Outside of the lines, if a Doug Martin falls to us in top two rounds I think if conditions are right Ted should take an "Ahman Green" type talent. I'd also spend a pick at some point during the draft to give competition to Harrell for #2 QB. Finally, good ole Ted should pick up the K from the Cornhuskers.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We have enough talent on the roster in most position groups but both lines need MAJOR help.

Quality over quantity in next years draft. We have a few compensatory picks so that should give Ted some latittude to package a few picks if he should feel compelled to move up and snag a d lineman in the first or second round.

Outside of the lines, if a Doug Martin falls to us in top two rounds I think if conditions are right Ted should take an "Ahman Green" type talent. I'd also spend a pick at some point during the draft to give competition to Harrell for #2 QB. Finally, good ole Ted should pick up the K from the Cornhuskers.
Love the Nebraska K, kids got real talent and even punts, and a RB in the second is not inconceivable. I truly believe that a good C who can make the kind of adjustments Wells did and win 1on1's will make a RIDICULOUS impact on our line play. There are only a handful of guys I would trust in this year's draft to do that.
I also agree on trading up, we don't really have a lot of true "needs" outside of our line. RB and WR come (UDFA) cheap, I can live with Fin for another year, we have a young developing secondary who are on the rise, our starters on LB are more than satisfactory. We may also need a new FB, Kuhn is 30 already (once again, UDFA cheap)

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score

My opinion:

Your Opinion?
TOUGHNESS!!!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT: This would be on top of my list. A pass first team needs a stud at left tackle period.

RB: A guy who can stay on the field for three downs and block. I want a homerun threat that can take it the distance on any given play.

Center: A mean somebody who will maul you every play...all while being smart enough to call line adjustments and protections.

Guard: ^^^^ see above.

MLB: can run run run and able to stand rb's up in th hole. Can bring the wood.

DE: Has to be the strongest guy on the team, able to set the edge against the run. Has burst to get consistent pressure and eats up blockers.

TE: 6'4 or taller, 4.5 to 4.6 speed, great hands, 36 to 38 inch vertical former basketball player (a must). I won't settle for anything less at tightend sorry. He has to meet all qualifications.

Wr: Does not have to be a former basketball playe but ^^^ see above for everything else.

Offensive coordinator: Yea i said it, it's time for MM to hand over that duty fully. We need an innovative, creative, play caller who can adjust to what the defense is trying to do on the fly. Can't afford to wait until half time or even after the game to make adjustments has to be in the moment. loves to run uptempo and not afraid to throw in a trick play once or twice a game to keep the defense guessing. Can't be conservative, i've seen to much of that.

Reaction score
O-line we need. OT and C being the main positions
D-Line we need a replacement for Pickett other than that we have nice depth of pass rushing options for 3rd down. We need another run stuffer.
RB- We need an actual starter. We need a complete back. Running , catching, and blocking.
TE we could use another option.
WR we could use another option if Jennings leaves
S we could use depth

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
TE: 6'4 or taller, 4.5 to 4.6 speed, great hands, 36 to 38 inch vertical former basketball player (a must). I won't settle for anything less at tightend sorry. He has to meet all qualifications.
You won't find sub 4.6 and over 6'4, closest you'll get are Jordan Reed 6'3 4.62, Chris Gragg 6'3, Travis Kelce 4.68, Kyler Reed 6'3 4.67, Brandon Ford 6'3 4.67 if you believe NFLDraftScout. Then again Fin only ran a 4.82 at the combine and a 4.66 at his proday. Gronk was 4.68 at his pro. Sub 4.7 will do nicely (I'll even give it to 4.75) it opens a lot more options.[/quote]

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Centers need to be smart and athletic to call adjustments and get off the snap. Tackles need to have elite footwork to deal with all the speed rushers we see and struggle against today. Guards need to have the strength and leverage to push off the line. Don't think we'll get a new guard with Lang's contract and (hopefully) development.

We need a backup NT and starting DE that can effectively eat blocks to free up rushers, yet shed those blocks to stop the run, all while pushing and collapsing the pocket.

We need a RB with lateral explosiveness that can hold on to the rock, push the pile, and run to daylight, all without getting hurt.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now I really think that Barrett Jones would be a great 1st round pick for us, and there's a decent chance he'll be still be available. He could be a real anchor for our OL and give us a quality C for years to come. And we need that badly.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
P

Packerfan1977

I see 3 glaring areas that need to be upgraded.

1. O-Line. We've got talent at 4 positions but right now specifically at Center we have an old man playing and a back-up that hasn't proven he CAN play. I would draft either Braxton Cave of Notre Dame if he slips to the 3rd round or Mike Golic Jr. if he slips to the 4th. Golic while playing guard THIS year stepped in when Cave went down with a foot injury last year.

2. Tight End. This is a no-brainer for me. You've got Jermichael Finley who we aren't sure WHICH version is gonna show up, the best or the guy who couldn't catch a cold, as well as 3 or 4 'guys' as backups. None of them truly distinguish themselves on a constant basis for me to name them the starter. My solution? Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame he's 6'6 251 and can go down the field like Keith Jackson and Chmura did in the Superbowl years. He has also improved his blocking, something that can still be worked on at the pro-level, and I think even now he might be better than what we have. We could also go with Philip Lutzenkirchen of Auburn, but I'd rather have Eifert who is more of a down the seam type of guy.

3. Inside Linebacker. Here is my problem area to fix. 1st let's say it. Hawk has to go. Leading the team in tackles doesn't cut it when you are causing coverage issues on the back end. In a PERFECT world we somehow end up with Mantei Te'O but there's no such thing as perfection. In this particular case I'm not sure who to take...unless Borland out of Wisconsin is a Senior.

Sorry for the Notre Dame bias guys, but I only really follow Auburn and Notre Dame, and I'm not sure aside from Jeff Blake's kid and Lutzenkirchen that any of the Auburn players are even NFL talents.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Sorry for the Notre Dame bias guys, but I only really follow Auburn and Notre Dame, and I'm not sure aside from Jeff Blake's kid and Lutzenkirchen that any of the Auburn players are even NFL talents.
No love for Cierre Wood or Theo Rid****?

P

Packerfan1977

Cierre is too small to fit the need at running back IMO, and at wide receiver I think we're set with what we've got, and even if we don't re-sign Greg Jennings I believe Theo is too small to fit Green Bay's style of play.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Cierre is too small to fit the need at running back IMO, and at wide receiver I think we're set with what we've got, and even if we don't re-sign Greg Jennings I believe Theo is too small to fit Green Bay's style of play.
Cierre is 6' 215. That's a about prototypical. Theo plays RB too, and is 5'11 200, once again, that's just about prototypical for RB. He's only slightly short for one of our WR

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
MLB: can run run run and able to stand rb's up in th hole. Can bring the wood.
3. Inside Linebacker. Here is my problem area to fix. 1st let's say it. Hawk has to go. Leading the team in tackles doesn't cut it when you are causing coverage issues on the back end. In a PERFECT world we somehow end up with Mantei Te'O but there's no such thing as perfection. In this particular case I'm not sure who to take...unless Borland out of Wisconsin is a Senior.
Here's MY question:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=A.J.&l=Hawk&i=7389

WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good question. I'm an Ohio State guy and i was for sure Hawk would be the next great Packer lb, and make multiple Pro-bowls. He was soooo good at Ohio State it's almost sad watching him be an average lb. Him and Bobby Carpenter were some bad dudes! Anthony Schoegel wasn't bad either. Best trio of lb's i've watched on the college level. But hey i'm only 26 so..

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Good question. I'm an Ohio State guy and i was for sure Hawk would be the next great Packer lb, and make multiple Pro-bowls. He was soooo good at Ohio State it's almost sad watching him be an average lb. Him and Bobby Carpenter were some bad dudes! Anthony Schoegel wasn't bad either. Best trio of lb's i've watched on the college level. But hey i'm only 26 so..
His Combine speed was so fast, but he's always just a bit behind, it just does not compute. He was great his rookie season, then something happened.

P

Packerfan1977

Actually as I remember Hawk ran a 4.62 I saw his 40 on the NFL network that year. Why did he run a 4.62 instead of the high 4.4s low 4.5s they thought he would? He tripped on his first step, so even at the combine he wasn't fleet of foot.

As a Notre Dame fan I hadn't seen AJ play until the Fiesta Bowl his senior year. I was extremely impressed at his ability to rush the passer from the outside, garnering 2 sacks, one of which practically knocked Notre Dame starting QB Brady Quinn stupid, and in the process almost getting dove on by his fiancee at the time for hitting her little brother that hard. I admit it, coming out of OSU I thought he'd be the next Nitschke, now I'd be happy if he'd just leave town without us having to pay him any more money.

As far as Cierre Wood and Theo Rid**** I'm quite surprised that Cierre Wood is that size. He looks smaller when he's playing. Theo is about the size I thought when I made the comment that I don't think he's big enough.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
To give some credit, AJ has had some improvement this year, and without Bishop, he's being asked to do a lot. He's had his moments both ways.

Staff online

Latest posts