Team needs: Green Bay Packers

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
We wrap our look at the needs of the teams from the NFC North by considering the state of the defending NFL champions. It would be tempting to simply say “none” and move on. OL:* The Packers have had their share of struggles along the offensive line over the past two years.* They need a…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the number one need is OL and particularly OT in anticipation of Clifton "falling off a cliff" performance-wise or getting hurt. I hope Newhouse can play OT in the NFL but I don't think they should count on that. I think they can plug in Lang or McDonald at LG but an OG would be good to add in the middle of the draft, for depth if not a starter. The number one priority of the Packers should be to protect their franchise QB for the foreseeable future and that means offensive linemen.

I think DE and WR are next, ahead of OLB. Jenkins will soon be gone and Pickett is getting up there in age. Jones is likely gone and Driver is getting up there in age.

OLB and CB are next for me. Of course it would be fantastic if they could find a pass rushing threat opposite Matthews but I think the winner of Walden, Zombo and Jones are good enough if they don’t strike gold in the draft. Williams and Shields as “starting” CBs with (even an aging) Woodson is still damn good IMO but if Lee doesn’t make a big step up next season they’ll need someone else to. IMO it would be foolish to count on Underwood.

Having said all that we know Thompson isn’t going to reach no matter how he prioritizes their needs. And that’s a good thing. So if at #32, there’s a CB who they have rated as the BPA and if he can’t find a trading partner, I’m sure he’ll take the CB. But my guess for his first pick, whether or not it’s at #32, is either a DE or OL. As Thompson has said, God didn’t make a lot of talented big men.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have any 'needs' - except 1. Kick and punt returner.

We have a couple of "Good to haves". DE, T, WR, OLB, and CB. (in order IMHO)

DE: I'm assuming we are loosing both Jenkins and Jolly. And of course I'm not counting on Harrell. I am counting on both Neal and Wilson. Still, we need some bodies to rotate through there - Raji too big to be playing as many snaps as he has.

T: No telling if this is as big a need as we fans think. TT may think highly of a few of the guys already waiting in the wings: Lang, Campbell, and Newhouse to name a few.

WR: Would not be surprised if a WR isn't the first or 2nd player we take. One who can double as a KR would be ideal. (Little anyone?)

OLB: We have 3 guys coming back who started games opposite Clay. Jones could be pretty good if he can shake that injury bug.

CB: Extra player to have in case of injury. Won't need to start for a couple of years.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like to see an OT followed by a WR. First protect Aaron and then give him some weapons for years to come. Finley coming back is a bonus. Capers will find a way to work with what he has - he has proven that year after year.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the kickoff rule change will affect our special teams efficiency. Hopefully for the better. I agree with Helmets that protecting Aaron is of utmost importance. Although he handles pressure well, his performance is positively noted when he has more time. (memories of 2009 sack fest)

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd like to see some shoring up of the O-line. You have to protect that SB MVP if he has any chance of doing anything and if we have a chance of repeating, and if you want him to survive in the league for more than a few years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts