TE prospects

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://withthefirstpick.com/2015/01/16/jesse-james-freak-2015-nfl-draft/

Freak of the 2015 draft class is going to be Penn State Nittany Lions tight end Jesse James. James is 6’7″, 272 pounds, has been clocked at 4.6 in the 40 and seen bench pressing 225 pounds 27 times. He’s also been seen performing an insane 12 reps of 495 pounds on the dead lift.

I didn't realize his workout numbers were so impressive...damn.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://withthefirstpick.com/2015/01/16/jesse-james-freak-2015-nfl-draft/

Freak of the 2015 draft class is going to be Penn State Nittany Lions tight end Jesse James. James is 6’7″, 272 pounds, has been clocked at 4.6 in the 40 and seen bench pressing 225 pounds 27 times. He’s also been seen performing an insane 12 reps of 495 pounds on the dead lift.

I didn't realize his workout numbers were so impressive...damn.

First of all James weighs 261 pounds and he ran a 4.83 40 at the combine.

Can he catch, run routes, block and understand the playbook? I am not sold on a combine freak show.

Here´s the NFL´s scouting report on him:

STRENGTHS:
Long frame with room for more muscle. Flashed some straight-line speed in space. Shows a feel for when he comes open in the seam and will turn quickly to find the throw. Can make the occasional spectacular, one-handed catch. Works to the open space against zone coverage. Not content to stand in space. Continues to maneuver around within his area to uncover and present an open target to the quarterback. Can go up and over smaller defenders in red zone as a split end.

WEAKNESSES:
Sluggish off the release and runs somewhat labored and mechanical routes, getting very limited separation against man coverage. Play demeanor lacks desired fire and aggressiveness. Does just enough as a run blocker. Doesn't handle power and movement in space as well as he needs to as a blocker. Gets hung up against jams at line of scrimmage and against physical defenders within his routes. Will try to run through defender rather than adjusting route. Inconsistent adjusting to poorly thrown balls and making the tough catch.

BOTTOM LINE:

Big, in-line tight end with room on his frame for more muscle, but he's limited by a lack of functional athleticism and a mechanical play demeanor. James isn't a plus receiver with great hands and he lacks the quickness to consistently free himself from man coverage, so he must become a more determined run blocker in order to have a shot at starting in the NFL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this thread gave me hope it was about multiple TE options not just one.....if he is still there (which I doubt) in the 3rd or 4th I see a good pick...but not early for sure, too many unknowns or possible flaws.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was intrigued by his size too when i first saw him, but he appears to lack anything at all noteworthy aside from being a large person

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather the Packers just decide to draft a basketball prospect TE every year in the draft in round five or later and see what happens. I've never been a fan of drafting a TE in the first round because they pretty much never contribute in their first season; so just draft a less "pro-ready" TE that needs to develop since no TE comes into the NFL ready to actually play significantly.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned it's that scouting reports are dodgy at best. How many times do they give glowing reviews to guys who turn out to be duds and then totally discredit guys who end up being Pro Bowl players?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Media scouting reports are for tv ratings. All that matters is how the personnel staff and scouts for each team rate these guys. Let's not forget that some guys bloom and peak early (high school / college) and some bloom and peak later in their athletic careers. It's quite the magic trick to predict who those guys may be.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all James weighs 261 pounds and he ran a 4.83 40 at the combine.

Here´s the NFL´s scouting report on him:

STRENGTHS:
Long frame with room for more muscle. Flashed some straight-line speed in space. Shows a feel for when he comes open in the seam and will turn quickly to find the throw. Can make the occasional spectacular, one-handed catch. Works to the open space against zone coverage. Not content to stand in space. Continues to maneuver around within his area to uncover and present an open target to the quarterback. Can go up and over smaller defenders in red zone as a split end.

WEAKNESSES:
Sluggish off the release and runs somewhat labored and mechanical routes, getting very limited separation against man coverage. Play demeanor lacks desired fire and aggressiveness. Does just enough as a run blocker. Doesn't handle power and movement in space as well as he needs to as a blocker. Gets hung up against jams at line of scrimmage and against physical defenders within his routes. Will try to run through defender rather than adjusting route. Inconsistent adjusting to poorly thrown balls and making the tough catch.

BOTTOM LINE:

Big, in-line tight end with room on his frame for more muscle, but he's limited by a lack of functional athleticism and a mechanical play demeanor. James isn't a plus receiver with great hands and he lacks the quickness to consistently free himself from man coverage, so he must become a more determined run blocker in order to have a shot at starting in the NFL.

His 4.5/4.6 was his pro day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Then where did that website get those measureables at? They said it, not me, buddy.
What a minute: You cite a website story which says, James "has been clocked at 4.6 in the 40" and when challenged, you post: "His 4.5/4.6 was his pro day." and when corrected again, you're pissed at captainWIMM? If you can show us where the story mentioned his pro day I'll stand corrected. And BTW where did the 4.5/4.6 stat come from?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a minute: You cite a website story which says, James "has been clocked at 4.6 in the 40" and when challenged, you post: "His 4.5/4.6 was his pro day." and when corrected again, you're pissed at captainWIMM? If you can show us where the story mentioned his pro day I'll stand corrected. And BTW where did the 4.5/4.6 stat come from?

That website states those numbers. I assumed it came from his pro day since he didn't put those numbers up at the combine? I don't pay attention to pro day dates, sorry.

Did you even read that article? It clearly says he ran a 4.6. So where is this 4.6 business coming from? Unless you're assuming that website is lying. I seen the 4.5 posted elsewhere on a Penn State forum and I don't feel like digging for it.

And I wasn't pissed off at Captain.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna go out on what I feel is a pretty sturdy limb and guess that the 4.86 and 4.83 he put up at the combine are more representative of his speed. A TE of his size running a 4.5-4.6 just doesn't exist... outside of Jimmy Graham.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That website states those numbers. I assumed it came from his pro day since he didn't put those numbers up at the combine? I don't pay attention to pro day dates, sorry. Did you even read that article? It clearly says he ran a 4.6. So where is this 4.6 business coming from? Unless you're assuming that website is lying. I seen the 4.5 posted elsewhere on a Penn State forum and I don't feel like digging for it. And I wasn't pissed off at Captain.
You were the one that stated without qualification, "His 4.5/4.6 was his pro day." Call it an assumption if you like but it looks like you made that up. I did read the article: When I posted where did the 4.5/4.6 come from I bolded the 5. Now you post you saw that on a Penn State forum? :rolleyes: And when captainWIMM corrects your assumption, you post "Then where did that website get those measureables at? They said it, not me, buddy." Well buddy it's not captainWIMM that should have answered that question, it's the poster who advanced their number (and added another) as a fact without qualification.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our young TE is going to be just fine. Probably better than fine.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our young TE is going to be just fine. Probably better than fine.
I too believe that Richard Rodgers will make huge strides in 2015. To me, he seems hungry and looks to soak up all of the knowledge he can. We know that he can catch - his blocking was an issue but I believe after being in our system for a year his technique will improve and will help the run game. I say put TE down on the list and make CB and ILB our top priority.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why we are constantly fighting in these threads... We're all on the same team and we're all armchair GMs. It's not like anything we say really matters, it's just opinion. However, the Pack seemed very interested in Jesse. The guy is a big target and they said he was catching everything at the combine. He may be stiff, but I'm guessing he will be used mostly in the redzone anyway.

What about Walford or Maxx? What do you guys think of them? I'm actually liking Walford the more I watch tape on him. I've also liked Maxx quite a bit since the beginning. From the tape the guy has really good control of his body and some really nice hands. Needs work on blocking though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't understand why we are constantly fighting in these threads... We're all on the same team and we're all armchair GMs. It's not like anything we say really matters, it's just opinion. However, the Pack seemed very interested in Jesse. The guy is a big target and they said he was catching everything at the combine. He may be stiff, but I'm guessing he will be used mostly in the redzone anyway.

What about Walford or Maxx? What do you guys think of them? I'm actually liking Walford the more I watch tape on him. I've also liked Maxx quite a bit since the beginning. From the tape the guy has really good control of his body and some really nice hands. Needs work on blocking though.

The Packers have more pressing needs, addressing the TE position early in the draft shouldn't be a top priority.

Members online

Latest posts