TD passes

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are TD passes an over rated statistic ? I would think a 50 yard non TD pass is much more impressive than a 5 yard TD pass.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are TD passes an over rated statistic ? I would think a 50 yard non TD pass is much more impressive than a 5 yard TD pass.

As regards nearly all stats, I'd say the bold indicates that they are over-rated - to you. If somebody else thinks that anything not resulting in points is less important, so be it. Never going to settle an argument like that.

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only one of those puts points on the board, so no. You can have a 50 yard pass on a drive that results in a FG or no points at all. Give me a TD statistic any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one of those puts points on the board, so no. You can have a 50 yard pass on a drive that results in a FG or no points at all. Give me a TD statistic any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

The man has a point. It really simply depends on context for which was a more impressive play/stat

Example: Bubba used to catch a ton of one yard TDs for us but did little else other then block. Is that more impressive say any other pass catching option that catches 60+ balls for 800 yards but only 2 went for TDs?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't there a fantasy league with troy aikman where a 50 yard pass to the one yard line was better than the person that scored from the 1

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
give me points, i don't care where they come from. Things tighten up in the redzone and in the end, it's the big picture that matters. People take stats too seriously I think.

H

HardRightEdge

Is this a fantasy football question? I don't engage in it myself, so I'll render an opinion from a winning and losing perspective.

There might be a temptation to think 5 yd. TD passes are overrated when they appear to come easy over a few weeks span.

It's when you don't convert them, swapping 7 points for 3, that their importance hits home.

TDs are money, no matter how you get them. They're hard to overrate.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man has a point. It really simply depends on context for which was a more impressive play/stat

Example: Bubba used to catch a ton of one yard TDs for us but did little else other then block. Is that more impressive say any other pass catching option that catches 60+ balls for 800 yards but only 2 went for TDs?

Catching TDs on a short field is a rare talent. My view on that is that it takes all kinds. Ideally, you have some guys who can stretch the field for TDs. It's rare they're the same guys who excel in close quarters, although elite receivers do it all. Bubba wasn't an elite TD producer, but he was a reliable option in the red zone. We haven't had that out of a TE since he left, and there's no question our offense is most dangerous when multiple TE's have to be accounted for on a short field. I still sigh with nostalgia thinking about Favre being able to pick between Chmura and Jackson. Imagine ARod with those additional options beyond Jordy, Cobb and Lacy. VIDEOGAME NUMBERS...

I don't care whether guys fill the TD category with short or long catches, so long as they make them when the opportunity presents itself. TD's are like any other play- some feel pretty mundane while others are breathtaking things of beauty. I don't know you can judge the quality of a play simply on the distance traveled to score...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Give me TD's over yards any day and any time.....at the end of the game, only one matters.

Edit: Unless you are playing fantasy football :coffee:

Last edited:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The final score is the only statistic that matters to me. A win is a win, no matter how ugly it may have been.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say they are two separate things:

- TD matters, for obvious reasons.
- A pass is a pass, irrespective of final result.

So yeah, a TD pass should not be in any way treated differently to any other pass. It's just yardage that matters.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stat wise, I never agreed with yards per pass. I think yards per completion is a better indicator of how successful your passing game is.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But does the 15 yard strike through a tight window not count more than the 5 yard out that the receiver runs 30 yards for a TD?

Yards in air minus drops is an interesting stat as well since it removes the skill of the receiver but it has drawbacks as well because a really good QB puts the receiver in better position to run with the ball than a bad QB. There isn't one great stat. Yards per attempt and yards in air give you a pretty good idea (obviously INTs are indicative as well).

828Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But does the 15 yard strike through a tight window not count more than the 5 yard out that the receiver runs 30 yards for a TD?

Yards in air minus drops is an interesting stat as well since it removes the skill of the receiver but it has drawbacks as well because a really good QB puts the receiver in better position to run with the ball than a bad QB. There isn't one great stat. Yards per attempt and yards in air give you a pretty good idea (obviously INTs are indicative as well).

I'm purely separating my argument into points versus no points. Great plays are great plays, and good statistics are always a plus, but I don't think TD statistics are overrated which was the original question by the OP. TD's directly effect the outcome of the game, greater than any nonscoring play. That's the point I was making.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know points, not yards, decide the outcome of a game, doesn't it???
I was talking about a pass specifically. Not the game as a whole. As in a normal pass and TD pass are just both measured in yards, so there's nothing special between them.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking about a pass specifically. Not the game as a whole. As in a normal pass and TD pass are just both measured in yards, so there's nothing special between them.

Very good ! That was my original intention. So in my opinion total passing yards, average yards per completion and completion percentage are more important QB measures than TD's. Some long drives with brilliant passing may be finished off with a field goal or a rushing TD. I love TD's... passing or running, but QB TD passes can either over or under emphasize a QB's true ability.

D

Deleted member 6794

As in a normal pass and TD pass are just both measured in yards, so there's nothing special between them.

Aside of the six points a team receives for a TD pass of course, which is pretty important for the outcome of a game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I love TD's... passing or running, but QB TD passes can either over or under emphasize a QB's true ability.

Just like every other stat. You have to take a look at the overall picture and make an evaluation based on it.

For example, Rodgers has never led the league in completion percentage, passing yards, yards per completion (BTW a terrible way to measure a QB's success) or TD passes in a single season. Yet I would argue he has by far been the best QB since becoming a starter in 2008.

D

Deleted member 6794

What is the best way to measure a QB's success ? QB Rating ?

There isn't a perfect stat to measure a QB's performance. I prefer passer rating or ESPN's QBR over some total numbers because both of them provide a ranking basedon efficiency.

Having said that, the eye test is the most important thing evaluating a player's performance though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a perfect stat to measure a QB's performance. I prefer passer rating or ESPN's QBR over some total numbers because both of them provide a ranking basedon efficiency.

Having said that, the eye test is the most important thing evaluating a player's performance though.

This whole thread is what makes sports such a fun/exciting/controversial thing to discuss/argue/opine. The value of any stat or rating is only determined by what follows, i.e., the reason it's being referenced. Emmitt Smith gained 18,355 yards in his career. He is therefore, unquestionably, the NFL's all-time career leader in rushing. Is he the best runner in history? Certainly, yes or no, it's not unquestionable.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a QB had one game 20/40 145 yards, 5 TD's 3 Int., would that be a great performance because he had 5 TD's ?
I don't think that it would be a high QB rating.

This has been a point that I have wondered about for a long time. It came to mind again in the Chiefs game when they hyped Rogers 5 TD's. Taking nothing away from Rodgers of course !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts