Taysom Hill

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Sean feels that the Wildcat will be a huge part of the Saints playbook next season. And who better than Hill?
Agreed. Sean is visionary. He sees the Wildcat as being the future of the NFL and is just getting ahead of the game. Seam also thinks leather helmets without facemarks will be next because, yknow, those NFL players would never take a cheap shot on a defenseless player. This makes it easy for everyone, even the refs, because every player becomes defenseless. Brilliant.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Sean is visionary. He sees the Wildcat as being the future of the NFL and is just getting ahead of the game. Seam also thinks leather helmets without facemarks will be next because, yknow, those NFL players would never take a cheap shot on a defenseless player. This makes it easy for everyone, even the refs, because every player becomes defenseless. Brilliant.
Helmet to helmet could become leather to leather.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you know that I think that?

He has had many chances to become the starter, yet as you and many have pointed out, he hasn't. I accept that.

At this point in his career, what I think he is, is a pretty decent backup QB, that does way more than most backup QB's. I look around the league at what some of the backup QB's are being paid and unless the starter is injured, they never play. Hill provides backup, while filling quite a few other roles pretty well.

I trust Sean Payton and the Saints know what they have in Hill and are paying him accordingly to what they expect to get from him.

You have been pretty outspoken about believing that Hill has a chance to develop into a decent quarterback at the pro level in the past.

There's not a single quarterback in the NFL who received as much guaranteed money as Hill despite not being counted on to start at any time.

In addition the Saints didn't even consider him the backup for this year as Siemian has taken over as starter after Winston suffered a season ending injury.

On top of it I definitely don't consider he's being paid accordingly as at this point he's scheduled to have a similiar cap hit as Jaire Alexander in 2022.

In my opinion that's borderline insane.

I believe Sean feels that the Wildcat will be a huge part of the Saints playbook next season. And who better than Hill?

The Saints could have used Hill in a more prominent role this season after Brees retired yet he has touched the ball only 32 times in seven games.

I don't expect that number to significantly increase next season either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Borderline insane? As Kirk Lazarus says, "everybody knows you don't go Full retard" and they appear to be doing just that.

He's had ample opportunity to be the starting QB and in the past the 2 seasons alone I think they've brought in Winston, Bridgewater, and Siemian to play that bump him back down the QB depth chart. I think that says something.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You have been pretty outspoken about believing that Hill has a chance to develop into a decent quarterback at the pro level in the past.

Taysom Hill has been in the NFL since 2017, I would hope that you allow my views on a player to change over time. I also stated a few years back, that he had a chance to potentially develop into a starter, added to everything else he offered to the Saints, that was a valuable commodity.

he's scheduled to have a similiar cap hit as Jaire Alexander in 2022.
Come on man, you know that cap hits don't always equate to pay and can be very deceiving.

In addition the Saints didn't even consider him the backup for this year as Siemian has taken over as starter after Winston suffered a season ending injury.
There's not a single quarterback in the NFL who received as much guaranteed money as Hill despite not being counted on to start at any time.
Every game he suits up for he is the backup QB, so not really sure what you mean by the first statement. As far guaranteed money for backups, I don't think there is a single backup QB in the league, that if he isn't playing on game day, provides what Hill does for the Saints.
The Saints could have used Hill in a more prominent role this season after Brees retired yet he has touched the ball only 32 times in seven games.

I don't expect that number to significantly increase next season either.
I guess if you want to base your observations solely on this year, go right ahead. I think with the contract they just gave him, the Saints understand what he has been capable of doing on the field when healthy and this hasn't been his best season in the way of health.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Taysom Hill is hurt. He is not injured but he is hurt. That is why he has only touched the ball 32 times this season. He dresses as the emergency #2 QB. Have you seen Siemen, or at least looked at his numbers? If not hurt Hill would have definitely relieved Siemen twice or would have been the starter at least a couple of those games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Taysom Hill has been in the NFL since 2017, I would hope that you allow my views on a player to change over time. I also stated a few years back, that he had a chance to potentially develop into a starter, added to everything else he offered to the Saints, that was a valuable commodity.

It was last season that you were pretty adamant about Hill being a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Come on man, you know that cap hits don't always equate to pay and can be very deceiving.

I understand that but the Saints guaranteed to pay him $20 million. At some point that will count against the team's cap.

Every game he suits up for he is the backup QB, so not really sure what you mean by the first statement. As far guaranteed money for backups, I don't think there is a single backup QB in the league, that if he isn't playing on game day, provides what Hill does for the Saints.

I guess if you want to base your observations solely on this year, go right ahead. I think with the contract they just gave him, the Saints understand what he has been capable of doing on the field when healthy and this hasn't been his best season in the way of health.

My point being that despite Hill being the Saints' backup quarterback they haven't felt confident enough about naming him the starter once Brees retired or Winston suffered a season ending injury. While he does more than most other backup QBs I don't see any reason in paying him that much money.

With the Saints effectively being $70 million over the cap for next season I'm not sure they understand a whole lot about how the cap works ;)

Taysom Hill is hurt. He is not injured but he is hurt. That is why he has only touched the ball 32 times this season. He dresses as the emergency #2 QB. Have you seen Siemen, or at least looked at his numbers? If not hurt Hill would have definitely relieved Siemen twice or would have been the starter at least a couple of those games.

Have you seen Hill play quarterback last season? He might be fine for a gadget play or some but there's no way he should be a starting QB at the pro level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you seen Hill play quarterback last season? He might be fine for a gadget play or some but there's no way he should be a starting QB at the pro level.
Sounds like he will get another chance to prove you wrong. Maybe the Saints just want to justify paying him so much money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was last season that you were pretty adamant about Hill being a starting quarterback in the NFL.
I think you are remembering things wrong. I was never "adamant" about Hill being a starting QB in the NFL. What I was though, was giving him a chance to prove himself and at what level he can play. People had dismissed him after a start or 2. This was one of many of my posts from last year.

Potential VS Expectations

Very well said and an enjoyable article. I agree with the author, Taysom has proven to his doubters that he can play the QB position in the NFL, now its just a matter of at what level.

Taysom Hill: Potential vs Expectations - Canal Street Chronicles

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are remembering things wrong. I was never "adamant" about Hill being a starting QB in the NFL. What I was though, was giving him a chance to prove himself and at what level he can play. People had dismissed him after a start or 2. This was one of many of my posts from last year.
I was a little surprised that when Winston went down, they gave the ball to Siemian. I admit I don't know much about the guy and he seems to be handling the team about as expected for a #2 QB. I just don't get why they didn't give Hill the chance. Hill has flashed potential and I agree we won't know what he's capable of until he gets to start a game. Looks like we may have to wait longer. Although as long as the Saints are paying him so well, why would he want to go anywhere else? It's confusing. They're paying him a lot of money. I would think they expect more from him down the road, even if it's not at the QB position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was a little surprised that when Winston went down, they gave the ball to Siemian. I admit I don't know much about the guy and he seems to be handling the team about as expected for a #2 QB. I just don't get why they didn't give Hill the chance. Hill has flashed potential and I agree we won't know what he's capable of until he gets to start a game. Looks like we may have to wait longer. Although as long as the Saints are paying him so well, why would he want to go anywhere else? It's confusing. They're paying him a lot of money. I would think they expect more from him down the road, even if it's not at the QB position.
I think Hill has been injured (concussion and foot) so that might have something to do with it. As sschind just pointed out, it appears that Hill might be getting the start tomorrow night, depending on todays practice and his foot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hill has been injured (concussion and foot) so that might have something to do with it. As sschind just pointed out, it appears that Hill might be getting the start tomorrow night, depending on todays practice and his foot.

You're right I do recall he's been hurt. It's hard for me to tell because I really don't follow the Saints. But I do keep an eye on Hill because I thought the Packers were nuts to waive him a few years ago. My impression - the guy is just an athlete. Find something for him to do. He was probably a multi-sport guy in HS and college, he looks like he works hard to stay in shape. Sort of a poor man's Russel Wilson (that is NOT a direct comparison to Wilson, lest I upset some commenters). I hope he gets the start tomorrow night. That would be interesting to watch. Thanks for the info.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're right I do recall he's been hurt. It's hard for me to tell because I really don't follow the Saints. But I do keep an eye on Hill because I thought the Packers were nuts to waive him a few years ago. My impression - the guy is just an athlete. Find something for him to do. He was probably a multi-sport guy in HS and college, he looks like he works hard to stay in shape. Sort of a poor man's Russel Wilson (that is NOT a direct comparison to Wilson, lest I upset some commenters). I hope he gets the start tomorrow night. That would be interesting to watch. Thanks for the info.
This is the part that some people forget about Hill, his ability to do other things other than stand around on the sidelines with a clipboard like most backup QB's do. Is he the best QB, TE, WR, special teams player on the team or in football? Not at all, but he is about the only guy that can play all of those positions at a decent NFL level, on any given day. How does that help a team? They have a guy that can sub in at a lot of positions, which allows a bit more flexibility with your game day lineup. Which is why the Saints find him to be a valuable player and once again, paid him like one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the part that some people forget about Hill, his ability to do other things other than stand around on the sidelines with a clipboard like most backup QB's do. Is he the best QB, TE, WR, special teams player on the team or in football? Not at all, but he is about the only guy that can play all of those positions at a decent NFL level, on any given day. Which is why the Saints find him to be a valuable player and once again, paid him like one.
Well said and I think describes Hill pretty well. I remember the Packers holding onto Jeff Janis for what seemed like years past his due date. The reason - he was a kickers gunner on STs and those guys are rare. He was listed as a WR of course and his ultimate downfall was his inability to run routes. But for a period of time and for a reasonable price he added value. Anyway, yeah I think Hill could step in and play any of those positions.

And as for what they're paying him - it seems excessive but these are pretty sharp financial people in the front office. I still think it's high but don't know what they know. Again, time will tell.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I read (wrote) this somewhere before. Oh yeah I did , I did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand that but the Saints guaranteed to pay him $20 million. At some point that will count against the team's cap.

My point being that despite Hill being the Saints' backup quarterback they haven't felt confident enough about naming him the starter once Brees retired or Winston suffered a season ending injury. While he does more than most other backup QBs I don't see any reason in paying him that much money.

With the Saints effectively being $70 million over the cap for next season I'm not sure they understand a whole lot about how the cap works ;)

Think he will wild cat a lot this Thursday?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, we can calculate a running "Taysom Hill's $$$ per Wildcat". That would be an interesting stat, cause, well, ya know, stats are everything.
He still has that plantar fascitis. But if it were that bad he would not be out there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still has that plantar fascitis. But if it were that bad he would not be out there.
Thanks, I didn't know that's what was bugging him. As long as it's a strain and nothing is torn, that injury responds well to stretching and ice and good ol ibuprofen. They wouldn't dare play him if there was a chance he could tear it. Thanks for the update.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't played at all(no ST- no wildcat) the last 2 weeks because of the plantar. He is suppose to be starting tonite at QB against Dallas.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that's what was bugging him. As long as it's a strain and nothing is torn, that injury responds well to stretching and ice and good ol ibuprofen. They wouldn't dare play him if there was a chance he could tear it. Thanks for the update.
I know with plantar you can get it to feel just good enough to play for several hours. But when you hit the locker room it can stiffen and then the pain sets in. Then the next morning can be worse. But they have all kinds of ways to treat now including toe therapy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know with plantar you can get it to feel just good enough to play for several hours. But when you hit the locker room it can stiffen and then the pain sets in. Then the next morning can be worse. But they have all kinds of ways to treat now including toe therapy.
Yeah I used to get it when I ran. Cortisone injections help, stretching helps more. I'd have to walk backwards in the morning until it loosened up. He won't feel it during the game.

Members online

Latest posts