Taylor Mays-USC (Thread)

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about his big hits.

It's when he whiffs on those, and costs his team that I'm worried about.

The good thing about him is his work ethic, dedication and physical skills.

But he's the farthest from a cerebral player you'll ever find...

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to play safety.

Here is the only coaching he will need. "See the football? Good. Watch where the football goes. Now remove the head from the guy who is carrying the football. Nice job."

Hell, I could coach in the NFL.

MSA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a safety is more than just knocking people's head off....yes that's good but you got to be able to cover guys too...ya know help over top and read the quaterback and make jumps on the ball and knowing the difference in bad jump "knock the guys head off" and good jump "go for the ball" and also not letting play action throw you out of your assignment all in all the I see Taylor Mays as the Next Roy Williams all hit no coverage but he also could be the next Sean Taylor a human missle of destruction that is solid in coverage

If we draft him I'm cool with that I just hope with some good coaching he can be better in coverage thier is no doubt he has all the tools and with his chip on his shoulder it could motivate him to be a star in the league I just hope he doesn't lose motivation when he proves himself as a star kinda like Larry Johnson for the Chiefs played with a chip on his shoulder and had back to back 1700+ rushing seasons then once he got the huge contract and the recognition he hasn't done jack squat since

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a safety is more than just knocking people's head off....yes that's good but you got to be able to cover guys too...ya know help over top and read the quaterback and make jumps on the ball and knowing the difference in bad jump "knock the guys head off" and good jump "go for the ball" and also not letting play action throw you out of your assignment all in all the I see Taylor Mays as the Next Roy Williams all hit no coverage but he also could be the next Sean Taylor a human missle of destruction that is solid in coverage

If we draft him I'm cool with that I just hope with some good coaching he can be better in coverage thier is no doubt he has all the tools and with his chip on his shoulder it could motivate him to be a star in the league I just hope he doesn't lose motivation when he proves himself as a star kinda like Larry Johnson for the Chiefs played with a chip on his shoulder and had back to back 1700+ rushing seasons then once he got the huge contract and the recognition he hasn't done jack squat since

The problems that I saw with Mays are the same problems that I saw with some other safeties this season as well, Eric Berry for instance. What I saw from both Berry and Mays' tapes is that both get their interceptions when covering the deep pass or when they are dropping back to the deep middle parts of the field. IDK why but both Carroll and Kiffin had the brilliant idea to move both Mays and Berry closer to the line to "experiment" their coverage instincts. Obviously that experiment failed.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our first pick we need to get away from guys that have sooooo many questions and get guys that are positively going to be at lest good in the NFL, at the position they played in college, and especially on our team!!!!! Save the question marks for later rounds.

SidelineScouting

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a HUGE Taylor Mays hater. I can't stand him. I went to all the Senior Bowl practices and was able to watch him next to the other top prospects. He has no idea what he's doing in coverage. His legs are two times faster than his brain. I would be really mad if he ends up in a Packer uniform.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a HUGE Taylor Mays hater. I can't stand him. I went to all the Senior Bowl practices and was able to watch him next to the other top prospects. He has no idea what he's doing in coverage. His legs are two times faster than his brain. I would be really mad if he ends up in a Packer uniform.
I found my soul mate!!!

;) (Don't take it the wrong way).

Yeah, I hate Taylor Mays. When you put on the film, the awareness and ball skills are not there.

When you look at the production, only 5 ints and 1 FF in his whole college career (3+ years starting), it's not there.

There's only athleticism, and some very positive intangibles.

But I could list 10 Safeties more talented than him coming out of this years' draft...

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting him if he fell to us.
Of course only if the high OL prospects are gone.
And then if all the high CB prospects are gone.
And then if CJ Spiller is gone.

If all those are gone I saw we go for Taylor Mays.

Members online

Latest posts