Tar-Var-Is starting Thursday

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick Dendy & AJ Hawk get 2 INTERCEPTIONS this game!

Kampman and Jenkins combine for 6 sacks!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[align=center]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

The Vikings expected to start rookie QB Tar Jackson against the Packers Thursday on a short week to get ready.

Like red meat to the sharks the Packers D can go crazy. Just don't let him run like scared rabbit.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

I'd rather have Johnson playing. he's having a horrible year. This guy is a scrambler, and recent history has been unkind to the Packers when we face a scrambler. I still have nightmares of our guys trying to chase Michael Vick.

Hopefully he'll do something stupid. Or better yet, hopefully our offense will work up such a lead, he'll be forced to do something stupid.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay - The smart money is on the Minnesota Vikings benching veteran Brad Johnson and starting rookie Tarvaris Jackson in their NFC

But the Green Bay Packers probably won't know for sure until game time which quarterback will be under center, so they'll have to have two different approaches ready for Thursday night. Johnson, 38, is a pocket passer with a fading arm and no mobility, while Jackson is an excellent runner with a cannon arm.

"It's a challenge because anytime you play a new quarterback, definitely when they're physically diversely different from the starter, I mean, that's a challenge in itself," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "Yes, he's young, inexperienced, but also he's got a very strong arm, he's athletic, so I mean that is a challenge because it does affect the way you may set your edges and things like that when you get into defensive game-planning. That's part of our challenge this week."

The coaches basically have two days to install their game plan because of a short week. There was no practice Monday, there will be a full practice today and there will be a walk-through Wednesday. Then it's game time.

The Vikings have the same challenge, but at least they know whom they're facing Thursday. The Packers aren't sure after Johnson was benched in favor of Jackson in Minnesota's 26-13 loss to the New York Jets at the Metrodome Sunday.

Vikings coach Brad Childress refused to commit to a starter on his radio show Monday, but there are very few people in the Twin Cities who think he'll continue with Johnson at quarterback. Jackson is the future and though Johnson might be able to handle complicated defensive looks better, he's probably not any more equipped to get the Vikings to the playoffs than Jackson.

"You know what? We're still mulling that over right now," Childress said of the quarterback situation. "We just went through some preliminary practice today. We'll see as we go."

The 6-1, 232-pound Jackson has played in two games this season and completed 17 of 27 passes for 212 yards and one touchdown with one interception. His passer rating is 84.2. He has rushed three times for 20 yards.

Regardless of who starts at quarterback, the Packers will be cramming to get ready for the Vikings because there just isn't much time. McCarthy said the most important thing will be to not overwork the players and to make sure they are as fresh as possible for the game.

"We're in for a long evening and we need to get it all in tomorrow," McCarthy said. "We're going to spend a little more time with the players than we normally do. We're going to keep them here a little longer, so we'll have everything in, cleaned up by the time they get out of here tomorrow night."

Familiar spot
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, right tackle Mark Tauscher will be back in his starting spot against the Vikings.

McCarthy said Tauscher will practice full-go today and provided he doesn't suffer any setbacks or doesn't look ready to play, he will be in the starting lineup. Tauscher suffered a severe groin pull in the last Vikings game on Nov. 12 and has missed five games.

The running game has not been as good without him in the game, although rookie Tony Moll has made improvement over the five weeks he has been in the lineup.

Playoff considerations
McCarthy said he was not poring over the numerous possibilities the Packers have for getting into the playoffs because more than likely it will take victories over the Vikings and Chicago Bears to even give the Packers a chance.

As a result, he prefers to stay focused on the next game.

"I talked about it a little bit in yesterday's press conference. We clearly need to focus on one day at a time," he said. "That's where we are as a football team and I think when we accomplish that, good things happen and that is our focus."

There are a number of scenarios in which the Packers can get into the playoffs, including ones where they wind up in a three-way tie with teams from other divisions and win tiebreakers because of a superior conference record. But that's all predicated on them sweeping their last two games.

The scenario that seems most likely should the Packers sweep their last two games would be the New York Giants losing twice, the St. Louis Rams and Atlanta Falcons losing once and the Seattle Seahawks winning once.

It was incorrectly reported Monday that the Packers couldn't overtake the Seahawks because of a head-to-head loss. In fact, if they are involved in a three-way tie with Seattle and the New York Giants, Carolina Panthers or Atlanta Falcons for the final playoff spot (at 8-8), the Packers would enter the playoffs based on a better conference record than Seattle, one of the criteria for breaking a three-way tie.

Seattle would have to lose its last two games against Tampa and San Diego.

The Packers cannot overtake Chicago, Dallas, New Orleans or Philadelphia.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
agopackgo4 said:
He is a runner isnt he? Seems that we get beat by runners a lot. I wish it was johnson starting ;)

What running QB's have we faced other than McNabb?

Mike Vick

We played the Falcons last year. Not this year. Not with this team. Sorry, I thought that was implied.

edit, and we won that game so how the heck does that matter? lol

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have Johnson playing. he's having a horrible year. This guy is a scrambler, and recent history has been unkind to the Packers when we face a scrambler. I still have nightmares of our guys trying to chase Michael Vick.

We have slightly more speed at linebacker now than we did then...

First start. One day of practice. Loud, hostile crowd. Facing Brett Favre in what may be his last home game ever. All the indications point to this being a waking nightmare for Mr. Jackson. I hope Childress doesn't know something we don't...

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we stop the run we have this game won because that forces a rookie qb to have to throw alot and that means he will make more mistakes.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has to prepare for a guy they have 0 film on and no nothing about. It's going to be tougher than you think. Though he is a rookie in his first start, outdoors in cold weather. This could be good for us.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has to prepare for a guy they have 0 film on and no nothing about. It's going to be tougher than you think. Though he is a rookie in his first start, outdoors in cold weather. This could be good for us.

We just have to get after him. A rookie under pressure usually spells disaster. They were way down and the Jets were laying back when he got in there. The most ideal time to produce good numbers a rookie QB could ask for.

I predict Brett will bounce back in this one. He usually does after he doesn't play to well. We need him to. We aren't going to run over these guys.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id always rather play a rookie then a vet. When he gets to Lambeau and see's the sold out stadium screaming, he will get nervous and make mistakes. This could very well be Bretts last game at Lambeau. We are gonna be out for blood on thursday.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah theres film of him...he has played before, just not as a starter.

blitz him, and blitz him many different ways..even if they dont get the job done 100% he has to think about it. And lets shut down their run and keep their Rbs under 100 yards like we did last time we faced them and their gajillion dollar offensive line.

We got this one guys....we got this.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not too concerned about this guy being a runner. If it was Vince Young, I'd probably be concerned. Who the hell is Tavaris Jackson? I'm not afraid, this guy is going to throw a couple picks after Woodson and Harris take away two of his receivers with their blanket coverage.

go_pack_go

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't the Packers have really fast Linbebackers? I think that pretty well negates a running style QB.

I think that the problem is that for some reason on passing plays, the middle of the field is almost always wide open for the opposing QB to pick up some yards.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

and you don't think the Packers defense is gonna throw new things at him?

The rookie QB does not have the advantage here.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be interesting to say the least. I always had respect for BJ, but he just can't get it going anymore.

The weather could be be a big factor.

With that said, I hope that the Packers introduction to T-Jack will prove to be most disheartening.

A new young quarterback begins his career, as the old "gunslinger" bids his final farwell at Lambeau.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Should be interesting to say the least. I always had respect for BJ, but he just can't get it going anymore.

With that said, I hope that the Packers introduction to T-Jack will prove to be most disheartening.

A new young quarterback begins his career, as the old "gunslinger" bids his final farwell at Lambeau.

I dunno if its just me, but why does it seem like the Vikings can only get one good year out of a QB? Cunningham, Moon, BJ, Cultpepper and then another decent year out of BJ. Then the following year they flounder.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:

I dunno if its just me, but why does it seem like the Vikings can only get one good year out of a QB? Cunningham, Moon, BJ, Cultpepper and then another decent year out of BJ. Then the following year they flounder.

Agree on part of that.
How often does a team have a quarterback of Favres caliber, and for 15 years? That is extremely rare.
GB fans better get used to "no more Favre" and perhaps a succesive string of QB's

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Agree on part of that.
How often does a team have a quarterback of Favres caliber, and for 15 years? That is extremely rare.
GB fans better get used to "no more Favre" and perhaps a succesive string of QB's

No, I'm saying, why is it they are only good for one year? Why can't they string a few years together? If it wasn't for Peytons TD shattering Cultpepper would have gotten MVP. Then he sucked, then got injured, now he's sucking while injured.

I thought it was because of Randy Moss, but BJ had a decent year last year didn't he? I think he filled in pretty good for Daunte. This year? Fell apart. Typical Vikings QB. Once the new season rolls around, they suck.

Members online

Latest posts