Taking a look at possible candidates who the Packers might look at in this year's NFL Draft

Will the Packers take T.J. Watt with their first round pick?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should go Forrest Lamp, TJ Watt, or Christian Mccaffrey.
We agree on McCaffrey but I don't understand drafting Watt in 1st when we could get Willis who I think will be better in the 2nd. I think Watt will be a solid pro but I think it will take him more time than a guy like Willis to become starter.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to predict. There are a good dozen players who the Packers could take. TJ Watt is who I think is most likely. There are 4 or 5 CBs that will be available as well. McCaffery would be a great addition. I dont think Lamp or Taco are on the Packers radar. TT doesnt value OG very highly and Taco has questions about motivation.

Last edited:

Chris H

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs therefore it doesn't make sense to select a guard or running back in the first round.
McCarthy said he isn't moving spriggs or Balaga Inside to guard, so it might sound like they are thinking about get an OL men, they took spriggs last year in the 2nd, y not again this year in 1-2 rounds

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We agree on McCaffrey but I don't understand drafting Watt in 1st when we could get Willis who I think will be better in the 2nd. I think Watt will be a solid pro but I think it will take him more time than a guy like Willis to become starter.

Why would you just bank on Willis being around at pick 61?

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy said he isn't moving spriggs or Balaga Inside to guard, so it might sound like they are thinking about get an OL men, they took spriggs last year in the 2nd, y not again this year in 1-2 rounds

The Packers obviously drafted Spriggs to play tackle. Thompson has never used an early pick on a guard though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers didn't value Sitton or Lang enough to keep either of them around, thus I doubt TT values a rookie G enough to use a first round pick on one. I think TT figures Clay's time is up, they look for someone to replace him for 2018....McKinley, Watt, Cunningham or Charles Harris. If for some reason one of the top CB's falls to #29, that might be the direction.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers didn't value Sitton or Lang enough to keep either of them around, thus I doubt TT values a rookie G enough to use a first round pick on one. I think TT figures Clay's time is up, they look for someone to replace him for 2018....McKinley, Watt, Cunningham or Charles Harris. If for some reason one of the top CB's falls to #29, that might be the direction.
I think they may draft a guy they think would be able to backup at both guard and center adequately by 18 season. Barclay may make the final 53 this year. I too expect an edge rusher to be drafted either first or second this year.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they may draft a guy they think would be able to backup at both guard and center adequately by 18 season. Barclay may make the final 53 this year. I too expect an edge rusher to be drafted either first or second this year.
God Im tired of hearing the name Barclay!! If you were to predict which pass rusher we take who would it be? My prediction is Taco Charlton if he's there. If not then TT goes to the UCLA pond for Tak McKinley. Neither Im high on really!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
God Im tired of hearing the name Barclay!! If you were to predict which pass rusher we take who would it be? My prediction is Taco Charlton if he's there. If not then TT goes to the UCLA pond for Tak McKinley. Neither Im high on really!
I keep coming back to TJ Watt but I'm the wrong guy to ask that question. I'm usually a total failure at guessing Thompson's draft picks.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep coming back to TJ Watt but I'm the wrong guy to ask that question. I'm usually a total failure at guessing Thompson's draft picks.
Understand you there. Who would you want. Watt I wouldn't be surprised or upset with, I just think it will be a couple seasons before we see his true capabilities. I honestly think Fackrell will be just as good of a pro as Watt. My choice would be Willis as a 2nd but it's very possible he doesn't last that long.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Understand you there. Who would you want. Watt I wouldn't be surprised or upset with, I just think it will be a couple seasons before we see his true capabilities. I honestly think Fackrell will be just as good of a pro as Watt. My choice would be Willis as a 2nd but it's very possible he doesn't last that long.
2 other guys to look for in the 2nd rd are Tarell Basham and Derek Rivers. I'd also be happy w/ Zach Cunningham who could slide into the 1st rd conversation or if we traded back into the top of the 2nd rd

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who would you want.

I think Watt will be there at #29, but have to rely on the Packer scouts if he is worth the pick or not.

I want to see 4 QB's taken before the #29 pick.

I want a non-bust, don't have to wait until 4th year to decide if they are worth keeping.....player, at any position. If nothing significant happens between now and the draft, I see the Packers drafting either an OLB or CB with their first pick, unless they have a player at another position that was high up on their board and happens to fall way back. Corey Davis, John Ross, Dalvin Cook and Christian McCaffrey are guys (not all of them) I see potentially falling back and being available. If one of them is available, do the Packers pick him or trade back 4-6 places with a team that desperately wants him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the 29th pick in the 1st rd of the 2017 NFL Draft, the GREEN BAY PACKERS select.......Chidobe Awuzie CB, Colorado

This will make you really happy or kind of sad.....but I think Awuzie might still be available when the Packers pick in the second round. I know his name is moving up draft boards, but for a guy who was originally projected by some to be a 3-4 round guy, I don't think his combine numbers will move him into the first and I think the Packers will have better options at #29.

Reaction score
I would be completely ok if we got Watt. I just want us to get 2 guys on Defense who can contribute their rookie year.
My feelings wouldn't be hurt tho if we went OLB, CB and RB and (or some derivative of this) 1,2,3 ..
but also adding a trade up in either the 2nd or 3rd to get a solid player without waiting until the bottom of all 3 rounds.
We have roughly 19 picks over the next 2 years.. let's do some innovative bargaining to move up if needed. I'm not sure what the formula is, but theres a time value of players like there is a time value of money $
1st- OLB
2nd CB/PR (trade Up into top 50 if there's a reasonable pick using our 2nd rounder, a 2017 4th rounder and/or a 2018 4th rounder.
3rd-RB
4(traded above)
5thWR 5th Comp- G
6thCB
7. DE

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

2nd CB/PR (trade Up into top 50 if there's a reasonable pick using our 2nd rounder, a 2017 4th rounder and/or a 2018 4th rounder.

The Packers shouldn't care about a player's ability to return punts at all when selecting in the second round. Adding a playmaker on defense is the only thing important.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
This will make you really happy or kind of sad.....but I think Awuzie might still be available when the Packers pick in the second round. I know his name is moving up draft boards, but for a guy who was originally projected by some to be a 3-4 round guy, I don't think his combine numbers will move him into the first and I think the Packers will have better options at #29.
This will make you really happy or kind of sad.....but I think Awuzie might still be available when the Packers pick in the second round.
I have viewed Awuzie as a 1st rd pick since before the combine...I can't see him falling past pick #40 in this draft. Some may say then why pick him in the 1st rd? I view him as a top 25 talent, teams just have other needs, and that's why he could end up in the top of the 2nd rd.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Watt will be there at #29, but have to rely on the Packer scouts if he is worth the pick or not.

I want to see 4 QB's taken before the #29 pick.

I want a non-bust, don't have to wait until 4th year to decide if they are worth keeping.....player, at any position. If nothing significant happens between now and the draft, I see the Packers drafting either an OLB or CB with their first pick, unless they have a player at another position that was high up on their board and happens to fall way back. Corey Davis, John Ross, Dalvin Cook and Christian McCaffrey are guys (not all of them) I see potentially falling back and being available. If one of them is available, do the Packers pick him or trade back 4-6 places with a team that desperately wants him?
If Corey Davis falls all the way to 29 I think the Packers would snap him up immediately.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't expect any of our draft picks to be instant opening day starters. I too think that Watt is probably 2 years away from being a stellar performer but I'd be happy if the Packers drafted him. I don't think everyone league wide is convinced he's a 1st round pick though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect any of our draft picks to be instant opening day starters.

Unfortunately the Packers most likely need two draft picks capable of starting immediately at cornerback and right guard though.

Members online

Latest posts