Take Your Pick...

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mathew said:
anyone who refers to themselves as a monster, a freak, and a beast in the same sentence has my pick. this rampage jackson looking kid (with the chain around his neck) would eat the sub-par, or even worse, quarterbacks in the NFC North alive. If the pack gets him as a pick Orlovsky,Culpepper,Orton,Grossman,Ferrote,Jackson will all be shakin and ****** in their athletic shorts. i list 6 quarterbacks because each team can't seem to play one of them consistantly and orakpo may simply anilate all of them.

Google Mike Mamula. He was considered a "beast", "freak", and "monster" too.

oomparific

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe Michael Jenkins (CB, Ohio) isn't on the list! As soon as we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 (THANK GOD!!!) our needs changed. DE's are good with two top-tied (IMO) DE's in Kampman and and HEALTHY Cullen Jenkins. They're backed up by capable players like Montgomery and Thompson, both of which are very young and gained a lot of experience this year which I think will bode well for the future. DT is pretty solid with Jolly and Pickett, ESPECIALLY since there would only be one in at a time, which should increase their performance late, as well as help prevent injury.

A lot of people will think this means we need an ILB, but that's not right. Hawk SHOULD excel as the second ILB along side Barnett - I should add that saying we don't need an ILB is based on a full recovery by Barnett. I also feel that Hodge and Bishop (I'm a Bishop fan, have been since his rookie preseason) can fill in well here.

This means our need becomes CB, OLB, and OL.

Since we have two ancient corners; I still think they're shut down, but they can only go so long... Also, I read something about Harris not thinking he'd be back? (I don't remember the source though, does anyone know about this?) IMO, Lee is the only long-term corner we have after Harris and Woodson. Williams and Blackmon are great against 3rd and 4th recievers, but I don't have a good feeling about them against elite recievers.

For OLB, all we really have is Poppinga and Chillar - both of which have struggled in coverage. If SOMEHOW he manages to fall this far, I'd LOVE Rey Maualuga. He could play on OLB in a 3-4 or switched to inside for whatever reason. Assuming he'll be gone, Orakpo. If his upside doesn't outweigh his horrid bowl performance, trade back a couple spots and get Curry. The third option is to trade even further back for Cushing (late teens-VERY early 20's)... I just don't think he's a top 15 guy.

OL - Really needs no explanation. We'll have two 10 year tackles (Clifton, 32 and Tauscher *ended up on IR*, 31) who both IMO underperformed this year with no quality backups.. As for the interior line, it's appalling; Wells, Sitton, Barbre, Spitz, and Colledge all should be backups.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oomparific said:
I can't believe Michael Jenkins (CB, Ohio) isn't on the list! As soon as we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 (THANK GOD!!!) our needs changed. DE's are good with two top-tied (IMO) DE's in Kampman and and HEALTHY Cullen Jenkins. They're backed up by capable players like Montgomery and Thompson, both of which are very young and gained a lot of experience this year which I think will bode well for the future. DT is pretty solid with Jolly and Pickett, ESPECIALLY since there would only be one in at a time, which should increase their performance late, as well as help prevent injury.

A lot of people will think this means we need an ILB, but that's not right. Hawk SHOULD excel as the second ILB along side Barnett - I should add that saying we don't need an ILB is based on a full recovery by Barnett. I also feel that Hodge and Bishop (I'm a Bishop fan, have been since his rookie preseason) can fill in well here.

Since we have two ancient corners; I still think they're shut down, but they can only go so long... Also, I read something about Harris not thinking he'd be back? (I don't remember the source though, does anyone know about this?) IMO, Lee is the only long-term corner we have after Harris and Woodson. Williams and Blackmon are great against 3rd and 4th recievers, but I don't have a good feeling about them against elite recievers.

For OLB, all we really have is Poppinga and Chillar - both of which have struggled in coverage. If SOMEHOW he manages to fall this far, I'd LOVE Rey Maualuga. He could play on OLB in a 3-4 or switched to inside for whatever reason. Assuming he'll be gone, Orakpo. If his upside doesn't outweigh his horrid bowl performance, trade back a couple spots and get Curry. The third option is to trade even further back for Cushing (late teens-VERY early 20's)... I just don't think he's a top 15 guy.

OL - Really needs no explanation. We'll have two 10 year tackles (Clifton, 32 and Tauscher *ended up on IR*, 31) who both IMO underperformed this year with no quality backups.. As for the interior line, it's appalling; Wells, Sitton, Barbre, Spitz, and Colledge all should be backups.

We were one of the best teams in interceptions and the best in defensive scoring. Meanwhile, we sucked at rushing the pass and especially at stopping the run. I agree with the aging corners, but to spend a 1st round pick when we drafted a CB in the last draft and Tramon picked up 4 int's isn't a smart move. Our glaring needs are DT and OLB ( 3-4 ), then we move on to OL ( we couldn't run either, and don't put the blame only on Grant ) and THEN CB. Every stupid mock draft puts CB Jenkins on the Packers 1st round, but NO ONE in here, a serious Packer forum, puts CB as a first need. That says something. TT please pick up O-SACK-PO, Cushing or Maybin!

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
oomparific said:

We were one of the best teams in interceptions and the best in defensive scoring. Meanwhile, we sucked at rushing the pass and especially at stopping the run. I agree with the aging corners, but to spend a 1st round pick when we drafted a CB in the last draft and Tramon picked up 4 int's isn't a smart move. Our glaring needs are DT and OLB ( 3-4 ), then we move on to OL ( we couldn't run either, and don't put the blame only on Grant ) and THEN CB. Every stupid mock draft puts CB Jenkins on the Packers 1st round, but NO ONE in here, a serious Packer forum, puts CB as a first need. That says something. TT please pick up O-SACK-PO, Cushing or Maybin!

I agree with you. Tramon Williams and Patrick Lee look to be the future corners on this team. Woodson is playing at an extremely high level and can only be helped out by a better pass rush. The ideal fit would be 2 OLB's who can rush the passer and get consistent pressure on the QB. The good thing about the 3-4 is that only a handful of teams run it, making the right players for the system more widely available.

Take Terrell Suggs for instance. He can only play the rush lineback in a 3-4 scheme. If he ever played in a 4-3 his career would be over.

GB should be targeting DE Tyson Jackson from LSU in the 2nd round... bank on it!

Reaction score
id love to pick up suggs for are defense hes a beast one of the best pass rushing lbs ive seen besides merrimanif we pick him up from free agency then we can change are draft picks we wont need a de end anymore lbs not really with hawk barnett suggs maybe a new corner thats all i can think about for defense .Then for offense we can get a nice o line tackle or gaurd for 1st round

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, if you count on Free Agency, Mike Jenkins would be a great pick, he's terrific. BUT with TT I just can't count on it. That's why I want a pass rushing DE/OLB or a DT and a OL. But yeah, add Suggs, or Peppers, and a DT and/or a OL in FA and Mike Jenkins is the pick. Prove me wrong TT!

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fili Moala from USC should be on the list also.

He was basically unblockable in the Senoir Bowl practice on ESPN in the one on one drills.

He seemed to have both speed and power rush capability.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yourout said:

He was basically unblockable in the Senoir Bowl practice on ESPN in the one on one drills.

As of right now he's projected as an early second round pick. GB would be reaching for him at #9, but I have a really good feeling TT is going to trade down this year and acquire picks. I like Moala. USC produces quality talent every year.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
yourout said:

As of right now he's projected as an early second round pick. GB would be reaching for him at #9, but I have a really good feeling TT is going to trade down this year and acquire picks. I like Moala. USC produces quality talent every year.

Probably the second best pass rusher was his teammate Kyle Moore.

There was an O-lineman from Ole Miss that looked decent....Michael Oher.

Granted this was only watching about 15 minutes of practice.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yourout said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
yourout said:

Probably the second best pass rusher was his teammate Kyle Moore.

There was an O-lineman from Ole Miss that looked decent....Michael Oher.

Granted this was only watching about 15 minutes of practice.

Oher looks to be a top-10 pick. He's getting a lot of buzz.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
yourout said:

I see online that Fili Moala is 6'5" 295 lbs. I was wondering if he would be a good candidate for DE in the 3-4 or would he beef up a little and be the NT possibly. If anybody has some good insight that would be sweet.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I don't know why, but when people start talking about drafting DT in the 1st round, Dewayne Robertson always comes up my mind. And let's not forget about Justin Harrell, the last 1st rounder TT picked up. But I know, DT is a MAJOR need, and Raji and Moala are PROBABLY good players, but...
The Draft is so unpredictable, 6 months from now, we could be kicking our ***** thinking " how could we want that guy over that!".

Reaction score
i wouldnt want to pick up a dt now since we are using a 3-4 now id be concerning on lb or o line. In this draft its supposed to be loaded with defense so if we pick a raw o line first we can get some good quality defense players later. Remember a small portion of are team is number 1 picks. most of are good players are 2nd and 3rd round picks

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I would love to see a good speed rush olb/de in the #9 spot (Orakpo would be awesome) and then draft Fili Moala if he would still be there with the round 2 pick. Obviously this will all depend on if/when we sign a free agent or two. Possible free agents like Suggs, Bart Scott and even Peppers are all possibilities for the speed rush olb spots we will need to figure out.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay needs to get a pass rushing OLB. It looks more and more now like Kampman is going to play one OLB position since Jolly and Jenkins are going to be the ends. I'm hoping they sign a pass rusher just so that they aren't limited in the draft.

Mel Kiper has GB taking Malcom Jenkins (CB - OSU) with their first round pick.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, we are forgetting about a HUGE need. PUNTER. I don't know how well Kapinos is doing, but I just can't see another season with a horrid punter like Frost. Is there any good punter in the draft?
And I know a lot of people like him, but Crosby ALWAYS miss when we need him. Last year vs. NYG and the season finale vs. the ****** bears was though to digest...

Aa-rodg_is_cool

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS said:
And I know a lot of people like him, but Crosby ALWAYS miss when we need him. Last year vs. NYG and the season finale vs. the ****** bears was though to digest...

Don't forget about his miss against MN.. If he hits those 2 then we'd be 8-8 instead of 6-10..

Reaction score
i say if are defense is clutch instead of relying on crosby wed be fine . One crosby missed a 52 yarder against min now thats a tough kick for any kicker. he should of made at least one against the bears i know he should be more clutch but if are defense steps up he wont have tio take as many kicks

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, Crosby is a fine kicker overall. A single disappointing season isn't enough to give up on him. He's young and has a strong leg. Let's see him the next couple of years to judge.

Punter is a big issue (why did we let Ryan go??), but defense comes first. Good punters may be available later in the draft. Is there any veteran P on the market this offseason?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eclipse612 said:
Punter is a big issue (why did we let Ryan go??), but defense comes first. Good punters may be available later in the draft. Is there any veteran P on the market this offseason?

Yeah, I know I brang up the Crosby thing, but what I'm really worried is about a Punter. Any good ones in FA? In the draft? Or is Kapinos doing well enough that we'll keep him? Anyone knows or have an idea what we'll do?

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are some stats from Kevin Huber of Cincinatti:
2008 stats:
PUNTING No. Yards Avg Long TB FC I20 50+ Blkd
Huber, Kevin 60 2697 45.0 64 3 13 24 20 0
------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007: Named a consensus all-American ... received first-team Walter Camp Foundation and The Sporting News All-America honors ... named a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, given to the nation's top punter ... led all of college football with his 46.9 yards per punt average ... BIG EAST Conference Special Teams Player of the Year ... all-BIG EAST first-team pick ... Cincinnati's Special Teams Player of the Year Award recipient ... served as the holder for field goals and PAT kicks ... booted 27 punts for 50 yards or more ... totaled 20 punts inside the opposition's 20-yard line, with four downed on the 1-yard line ... averaged better than 50 yards per punt in five separate games ... established a single-game record with a 59.7 yards per punt average on three kicks against Marshall ... received BIG EAST Special Teams Player of the Week honors after averaging 51.5 yards per punt on four punts at Rutgers ... boomed four punts an average of 47.0 yards per punt, with two stopping inside the opposition's 10 yard line, in the Papajohns.com Bowl.

2006: Boomed two punts for a 50.5 yards per punt average in the International Bowl ... named to the BIG EAST all-Academic Team ... Bearcat Honor Roll (Fall 2006, Winter 2007).

2005: Notched five punts for an average of 33.2 yards, having two eff orts stop inside the 20-yard line vs. Eastern Michigan.

2004: Redshirted ... Topcat Honor Roll (Winter 2005) ... Bearcat Academic Honor Roll (Spring 2005) ... C-USA Commissioner's Honor Roll (2004-05).

McNicholas High School: Three-time all-league selection for head coach John Rodenburg ... Greater Catholic League's Punter of the Year his junior and senior seasons.

Kevin J. Huber: Born July 16, 1985 ... son of Ed and Kathi Huber.

Academic Major: Finance.

Academic Major: Business.

Single Game Bests:
Punts: 4 vs. Eastern Michigan (9/1/05)
Punting Yards: 117 vs. Eastern Michigan (9/1/05)
Average: 50.5 vs. Western Michigan (1/6/07)
Long: 51 vs. Western Michigan (1/6/07)
Inside 20: 2 vs. Eastern Michigan (9/1/05)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
60 punts, 24 Inside 20 and only 3 tb? talk about coffin corner...
What round is he predicted to go? Man, Imagine OLB pass rusher in the FA, DT, OL and CB in the first 3 rounds ( no order ) and this guy in the late 3 / early 4 round... We would be super bowl contenders.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kapinos has potential to be our punter for good. It would be great to draft a stud out of college (like this Huber kid that you mentioned) to have a little old competition. Here are Kapinos' stats for the games he played for the Pack in '08.

WK OPP ...........PUNTS=AVG=LNG=YDS=TB=TB%=IN20=IN20%=RET=AVG=NET
14 HOU L 24-21 ..... 8 = 39.5 = 49 = 316 =1=12.5 = 3 =37.5 = 5 = 4.0 = 34.5
15 @JAC L 20-16 .... 2 = 43.5 = 48 = 87 = 0 = 0.0 = 1 = 50.0 = 1 = 0.0 = 43.5
16 @CHI L 20-17(OT) 4 = 37.8 = 44 = 151= 0 = 0.0 = 1= 25.0 = 3 = 3.3 = 27.8
17 DET W 31-21 ..... 3 = 37.7 = 55 = 113 = 0 = 0.0 = 2 = 66.7= 0 = 0.0 = 37.7
2008 ..................17=39.2 =55 = 667=1= 5.9= 7= 41.2= 9 = 6.7= 34.5

Career ............... 22=39.8=55= 875 =2 =9.1= 9 = 40.9= 10= 6.6= 36.7

Members online

Latest posts