Take it east on our defensive performance

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember this kid Cutler is an up and coming star. Ive said it all season our D might bend but they dont break, id take our defense over maybe 28 or 29 other teams in the league. And i know most of us can agree with that.

The truth came out when they held on the last posession of regulation for only a field goal. That was a sign of a mature defense.

We are getting better every game, this was the only sub-par defensive game ive seen this year.

With that being said, I love this friggin team

GO PACK!!!!!!

Reaction score
They were playing after a bye week, so it isn't inconceivable that the players were a little rusty/stiff (what ever term you want to use) at the start, and needed some reps to get going.

I think the altitude was also a big factor, our D looked really tired on occasions when they really shouldn't have been as tired as they looked.

Also, I noticed a few players slipping on both sides of the ball, so I wonder if there was something on the field that made it a bit tough for our CBs to get a solid footing when trying to come back to make a play on the ball. Perhaps the slipping thing was more-so the players diving purposely, but to me it initially looked like players were slipping.

A replay would really help get a clearer picture.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point aadp, to add to that can you think of a huge game breaking play our defense has given up this year or this game, I cannot!!

I love our d, their blue collar and touch nosed

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
They were playing after a bye week, so it isn't inconceivable that the players were a little rusty/stiff (what ever term you want to use) at the start, and needed some reps to get going.

I think the altitude was also a big factor, our D looked really tired on occasions when they really shouldn't have been as tired as they looked.

Also, I noticed a few players slipping on both sides of the ball, so I wonder if there was something on the field that made it a bit tough for our CBs to get a solid footing when trying to come back to make a play on the ball. Perhaps the slipping thing was more-so the players diving purposely, but to me it initially looked like players were slipping.

A replay would really help get a clearer picture.

It did seem like our defenders were sliding all over the place. You would think that the players would switch to a bigger cleat to get a better grip. Who knows?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn that @##hole Shanahan. I bet he had the field trimmed shorter, had his players go longer cleats just to try to get an edge. Seriously would not put it past him...

But on another note, here are my factors for a sub-par defensive showing:

1. Jim Bates. He knows his system, and he knows most of our personell. More should have been said about this, but Vince Vaughn's next movie, Favre/Cutler comparisons, and Pats/Colts hype make for better TV, I guess. :roll:

2. Altitude. Until you've been here, you don't know what it does to your body. You just don't. It really makes you feel every single expense of energy. Players don't like to admit to it, but it's there. See: GJ's sideline interview after the OT catch, like 15 minutes after it, and he's still panting.

3. Invesco crowd. PackerBackers represented surprisingly well, but you can see a huge difference now between our d @ home late in games and on the road. They just seem to feed off of Lambeau's energy, and have a superhuman stamina when they play there.

That's my take for now. I'm gonna go enjoy bein 6-1 in enemy territory!!!

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually over the last two years we are playing way better on the road and winning a higher percentage of games.

thats just facts

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, my statement had nothing to do with our winning percentage.

Watch the defense's intensity level at home in late games. It's huge compared to what we saw tonight. Invesco is a famously difficult crowd to visit and beat, as is KC.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i never really bought into that altitude stuff but i was thinking the same thing when i saw greorious after the catch gasping like 10 minutes later.
It must play some role

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, you just don't know until you're here. It's like you breathe, but it just doesn't get you anywhere. If you wanna know what it's like, run like thirty yards with a plastic bag over your head. It's pretty much the same sensation. :lol:

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
damn i just noticed you live there, i heard colorado springs is beautiful!!!

ill take your word for it, i think even a 30 yard sprint without a bag on my head and id be gasping lol :)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Like I said, you just don't know until you're here. It's like you breathe, but it just doesn't get you anywhere. If you wanna know what it's like, run like thirty yards with a plastic bag over your head. It's pretty much the same sensation. :lol:
I just went outside and tried that...............damn..........i guess i should have used a CLEAR bag so i could see where i was goin! That telephone pole was HARD!!! :lol:

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could've made a few more big plays, but man, we're nitpicking about a D that gave up only 13 points, yet again. Pretty sweet. :)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good point aadp, to add to that can you think of a huge game breaking play our defense has given up this year or this game, I cannot!!

I like how well our D is playing, but we lost only 1 game this year and the play we gave up was where Collins let the Bears TE get past him for a TD.

That being said, the offense should have never left that game in the defense's hands. We lost to duh bears because of stupid offensive mistakes.

The defense is far from perfect, but I still think it's great!

GO PACK GO!!!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I like how well our D is playing, but we lost only 1 game this year and the play we gave up was where Collins let the Bears TE get past him for a TD.

That play was Poppinga's fault, not Nick's. It's been broken down like three times on here before, with quotes from MM describing it. Collins did his job, and 'the swarmin mormon' did not.

...and just to address the thread title, I'm gonna take it WEST on our defensive performance-YEEEEHAWWW!!!!

arapaho

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember this kid Cutler is an up and coming star. Ive said it all season our D might bend but they dont break, id take our defense over maybe 28 or 29 other teams in the league. And i know most of us can agree with that.

The truth came out when they held on the last posession of regulation for only a field goal. That was a sign of a mature defense.

We are getting better every game, this was the only sub-par defensive game ive seen this year.

GO PACK!!!!!!

your defense is for real...but i believe the broncos screwed up on that drive... for one they were moveing down the field, had momentum , but didnt show any urgency, didnt try to stop the clock, and it seemed as if shanny was playing for the tie instead of the win... we had a first down on the Gb 26 with 1:16 on the clock and didnt snap the ball till we had 38 seconds left

1-10-GB 26 (1:16) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to GB 13 for 13 yards (50-A.Hawk).
1-10-GB 13 :)38) 35-S.Young right tackle to GB 4 for 9 yards (94-K.Gbaja-Biamila).
Timeout #3 by DEN at 00:25.
2-1-GB 4 :)25) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 15-B.Marshall.
3-1-GB 4 :)22) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler up the middle to GB 4 for no gain (79-R.Pickett).
4-1-GB 4 :)03) 1-J.Elam 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-83-M.Leach, Holder-10-T.Sauerbrun

now i know we didnt want to give brett time to score but comeon thats 38 seconds in a hurry up offense, rediculous!! then after cutler missed the winning TD on his low pass to marshel, shanny calls for a QB draw? wtf was that...pass the ball, incomplete we stop the clock and kick the FG, complete its a TD and we win...shanny played to tie and not win ...he's gotta listen to ol herm...you play to win the game!!

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMHO we didn't hold them on that last drive, luckily they just ran out of time...and some questionable play calling. Those boys were GASSED, and I never wanted the Packers to win a coin toss as much as I wanted them to win that OT toss. I truly believe (IMHO of course) that the Broncos could have marched right down on our already spent D.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:

GO PACK!!!!!!

your defense is for real...but i believe the broncos screwed up on that drive... for one they were moveing down the field, had momentum , but didnt show any urgency, didnt try to stop the clock, and it seemed as if shanny was playing for the tie instead of the win... we had a first down on the Gb 26 with 1:16 on the clock and didnt snap the ball till we had 38 seconds left

1-10-GB 26 (1:16) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass short middle to 15-B.Marshall to GB 13 for 13 yards (50-A.Hawk).
1-10-GB 13 :)38) 35-S.Young right tackle to GB 4 for 9 yards (94-K.Gbaja-Biamila).
Timeout #3 by DEN at 00:25.
2-1-GB 4 :)25) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler pass incomplete short left to 15-B.Marshall.
3-1-GB 4 :)22) (Shotgun) 6-J.Cutler up the middle to GB 4 for no gain (79-R.Pickett).
4-1-GB 4 :)03) 1-J.Elam 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-83-M.Leach, Holder-10-T.Sauerbrun

now i know we didnt want to give brett time to score but comeon thats 38 seconds in a hurry up offense, rediculous!! then after cutler missed the winning TD on his low pass to marshel, shanny calls for a QB draw? wtf was that...pass the ball, incomplete we stop the clock and kick the FG, complete its a TD and we win...shanny played to tie and not win ...he's gotta listen to ol herm...you play to win the game!!

The same thing happened to us in the Bears game (i think) McCarthy called one of slowest 2 minute drills ever and we wasted a TO and had to kick a field goal.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will say our 2nd half performances in the last 3 games have been atrocious!

thats got to change if this team wants to be an elite team

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will say our 2nd half performances in the last 3 games have been atrocious!

thats got to change if this team wants to be an elite team

Didn't the Pack shut out the Redskins in the 2nd half? :-?

Here is how you know you have a good Defense. You D gives up only 13 points and people are complaining about it. I wasn't that impressed with the D but we shut down the run and we held them out of the end zone. They did enough to win.

OP
OP
B

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right, i actually meant our offensive production in the second half has been weak at best

Members online