Take heart Packer fans - the season isn't over yet

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To all Green Bay Packer fans – take heart. The season isn’t over yet - although with all the injuries, poor coaching, no front office moves or trades and poor special teams, it does look bleak. Let’s consider however what a strange start to the 2010 NFL Season we have witnessed so far. Through the first 5 weeks, here are 10 things to consider and think about:

1 - Five teams with winning records that have allowed more points than they have scored:

Arizona (3-2) 88 points scored, 138 points allowed (+50)

Jacksonville (3-2) 107 points scored, 137 points allowed (+30)

Houston (3-2) 111 points scored, 136 points allowed (+25)

Tampa Bay (3-1) 74 points scored, 80 points allowed

Washington (3-2) 89 points scored, 92 points allowed

2 - The SHAUN HILL led Lions (1-4) have put up more points than any team in the NFC, and that includes the potent Packers (3-2) – Lions 126 points, Packers 119 points

3 - The Chicago Bears, who most “experts” predicted to finish last in the NFC North, received a gift WIN from the refs and the NFL rules against Detroit, got a gift WIN from the Packers with their 18 penalties, won Sunday by 17 points even though their backup QB (T. Collins) was 6 for 16, for 32 yards and 4 INTERCEPTIONS, and yet they are 4-1 and in first place in the NFC North (BEARS STILL SUCK!).

4 - There are no undefeated NFL teams thru the first 5 weeks. And TADA, here are your 1 loss teams in the NFC: Atlanta 4-1, Chicago 4-1 and Tamp Bay 3-1. And HAHA, here are your 1 win and no win teams in the NFC: Dallas 1-3, Minnesota 1-3, 0-5 San Francisco , and 0-5 Carolina . And just think, Dallas , Minnesota and San Francisco were picked by many to win their divisions.

5 - Half of the free world picked the Dallas Cowboys to be the first team in NFL history to play a Super Bowl in their home stadium (JERRY JONES WORLD). They are currently 1-3, at the bottom of their division, and their head coach really, really sucks and acts like a big fat baby most of the time on the sidelines.

6 - The defending Super Bowl champion Saints are 3-2, are in 3rd place in their division behind the Falcons and Buccaneers, have not scored more than 25 points in a game this year after being the highest scoring team in 2009, barely defeated the winless Panthers at home 16-14, and lost Sunday 30-20 to the Arizona Cardinals who were playing with a rookie at QB (Max Hall - who?).

7 - Speaking of the Arizona Cardinals, they were supposed to do nothing this year, they have a QB situation that you would not wish on your worst enemy (other than the Bears or Vikings), they have been outscored in the first 5 games by 50 points, and yet they are 3-2 and in first place in the NFC West.

8 - The Steelers are 3-1 even though they had to play their second and third string QB's in the first 4 games due to Roethlisberger's suspension.

9a - The Peyton Manning led Indianapolis Colts are 3-2, are in last place in their division behind the Texans, Jaguars and Titans because of their 0-2 division record (lost to Jacksonville and Houston) and could only muster 1 rushing TD against the Kansas City Chiefs in Sunday's 19-9 win. The Colts could not score 1 passing TD with Peyton Manning against the Chiefs at home? You have got to be kidding me.

9b - The San Diego Chargers, who were predicted by most to win the AFC West, are 2-3 and in last place in their division behind the Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos because of their 0-2 division record (lost to Kansas City and Oakland), and lost on Sunday to the Raiders, 35-27, for the first time in 13 games.

10 - The Packers started the season without their starting Safety (Bigby), starting CB (Harris), lost their starting RB (Grant) in the second quarter of the first game of the year, lost many defensive players (Barnett, Burnett, Harrell, Jolly, Matthews, Chillar, Zombo), QB has received a concussion in game 5 and might miss game 6 against the Dolphins, lost starting TE (Finley) for 3 to 6 weeks and backup TE (Lee) for 2 or more weeks, and yet, through it all, they have lost to the 4-1 Bears 20-17 on a last second FG and to the 3-2 Redskins 16-13 on a FG in overtime.

Strange things have happened the first 5 weeks of the 2010 season, and it seems to be getting stranger by the minute. Favre supposed sex messages and pics; Moss and Brady getting into it in the locker room; Moss traded to the Vikings; TT not pulling the trigger on Lynch - oh wait, that's not strange at all for TT; all of the injuries to the Packers.

I am holding out hope that the Packers can get it done this year – that is make the playoffs as a wildcard. I am not even going to mention the “Super ...”, well, you know what I am talking about. It will be tough sledding for the Packers, but it appears that the NFC is wide open for any team this year - no matter how many injuries, poor coaching, non front office moves or trades, bad special teams play, etc., etc.

Heard this discussion today on ESPN radio – some are now debating whether the NY Giants are the best team in the NFC? Not Green Bay, not New Orleans, not Dallas, not Minnesota, not Atlanta – the New York Football Giants. Wow – the first 5 weeks of the season have been absolutely crazy!

As Lombardi would say, “What the hell is going on out there?”

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
Hey dude, that was actually a pretty good read...thanks for that. I agree, its anybody's conference at the moment..."any given Sunday" x5

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we win the NFC North. Mark it.

look at my post where I predicted the cowboys were going to be big time choke artists (before the season even started).

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Seriously, what is going on out there? I wasn't aware that the Lions had the most points scored in the NFC. The NFL is up for grabs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading about teams that are doing better than the Pack, including Da Bears, doesn't make me feel any better.

As I posted in another thread:

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Throw MM in the funny farm.

I don't have any faith in MM any more. Things are not changing quickly enough and the same mistakes are being repeated over and over again.

He and Ted should have had a much much better O-line by now to protect A-Rod.
Do you think that idiot FINALLY got the message now that the starting QB may not play?
Or are we going to continue to see a crumbling O-Line like last year?
I fear the latter.

Before the season started the Pack were being thought of as contenders.
Now they are starting to look like the underdogs.
They need to be thought of as contenders each and every time they play.
If not, then they don't have to fire MM now but they should seriously consider it if the same mistakes are going to continue and the team doesn't begin to win against better teams.

I've given up on any expectations for the Pack to win while watching.
For now, all I can do is just watch to enjoy a good football game.
Enjoy their highlights. That should help if the Packers lose a game.

And as someone else pointed out in another thread:
The Packers are not a clutch team.
Right now they are not beating the better teams.
I don't mean to be negative, but how can we be positive seeing that they are not the elite team we thought they would be?

OP
OP
Favre3132

Favre3132

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I do not post very often at all (that is probably because my posts always end up being like a novel), I do want Packer fans to realize that this has been a strange year in the NFL, unlike one we have ever seen, and that this season is far from over. Anything, I mean anything is possible and can happen.

You do have to wonder if the upcoming labor negotiations and a possible lock-out for 2011 maybe has something to do with all of this. Or, is it just that in today's NFL, parity rules!

I do no know nor do I even pretend to know. All I do know is that I still believe in the Packers. Not TT or MM, but the Green Bay Packers!

Forget Favre - I have the same issues with TT and MM as you do. But we have only seen 5 weeks of the 2010 NFL season. If this team fails to make the playoffs and continues to underachieve for the remainder of the year, then it will be time to begin to really question whether TT or MM should remain.

Yes, they are now in year 6 of their reign, but lets wait and see what happens this year and how everything plays out.

Besides, there may not even be an NFL season next year - so let's get behind these Packers.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I'm nto worried about "The Season being over" the season isn't over until the last game of the season, duh. But the chances of the packers going to and or winning the superbowl have Dropped off the map completely, that is what disappoints me. We are once again just an average nfc team, if that is good enough for you, congratulations, I however had higher aspirations.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
TheGIftedApe, I am glad you call us average now since as we list the injured it seems like half of our team is on that list. That being said, if our team is just average with half of its starters out how good are we? Lions fans probably are starting to have more hope than us, and we have the better record, and their QB has been out. This year it really feels like any given team can make it, by sheer luck and referee's moderation of flags.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
TheGIftedApe, I am glad you call us average now since as we list the injured it seems like half of our team is on that list. That being said, if our team is just average with half of its starters out how good are we? Lions fans probably are starting to have more hope than us, and we have the better record, and their QB has been out. This year it really feels like any given team can make it, by sheer luck and referee's moderation of flags.

I'm sayin we are average now due to our special teams play once again, and because of injuries. If You asked me at the beginning of the season I'd say were favorites for the nfc side of the superbowl, But obviously we are not.

I woud also say that, it must be even sadder(not a word?) to be a vikings fan, since this year is kind of their "All-In" move, getting brett, randy moss, adrian peterson in his prime, defense is aging, and they are even worse than the packers. Packers still have 10 years of Super Potential Due to A-Rod, but our defense is aging as well, Barnett, Woodson, Harris, Jenkins will all be gone sooner rather than later.

What ****** me off is Ted thompson, holding 4 tight ends and 3 full backs, it's almsot like a slap in the face to your Fans, as well as keeping this special teams guy around, when the special teams is so bad, I feel like me and my little sister could go out there and do atleast just as good. And I'm not talking about kicking or putning, i'm talking about kick COVERAGE, and kick RETURNS, no reason for us to start inside of our own 20, and no reason for the other team to start with good field position all game, its so frustrating it makes me pull hair out.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, that was an awesome read. It really put things into perspective. Would you mind if I posted that to the FootballProsLive.com site?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm nto worried about "The Season being over" the season isn't over until the last game of the season, duh. But the chances of the packers going to and or winning the superbowl have Dropped off the map completely, that is what disappoints me. We are once again just an average nfc team, if that is good enough for you, congratulations, I however had higher aspirations.
Exactly and spot on.

I was thinking positive and being optomistic going into the 'Skins game.
And we were beating them.
But now I'm not so sure.
I'll enjoy watching them and want them to do well.
But without expectations.

Members online

Latest posts