Tak to the Pack?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Takkarist McKinley become Green Bay's new No. 3 edge rusher

Analyzing the roster, I am quite confident that GB needs to shore up the edge rushing depth for this upcoming season.

I think Joe Barry is a great addition as the DC and I would expect this defense to be Top 3 for the 2022 season.

Tak McKinley is realistically a perfect candidate for the No. 3 edge rush position.

His addition would further weaponize what I strongly believe could be the best defense ever in Green Bay history.

His age, production, and pedigree at the very least warrants discussion.

I found the above article and I completely agree with his addition...at a reasonable cost.

Thoughts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is Clark's backup?

All depends on situation. We have three experienced NFL Veteran starts in Clark, Lowry and Reed. Behind them we have a massively talented rookie in Wyatt, a second year Slaton as the main two there...followed by most likely Heflin/Ford/Byers/Pututau/Slayton all battling for that final spot on 53.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Camp starts in 2 weeks... I think the OLB position will be more than good. Ramsey was the #4 OLB heading into 2021 camp and promptly F'd up his leg and was IR'd. Behind Gary & Smith are Ramsey, Enagbare, Garvin, Galeai & Hamilton. Also mentioned as possibly playing some snaps at OLB/Edge was Quay Walker to put the best rushers on the field in some situations. IMHO pass on Tak McKinley, who's under-performed when available, and not available more than you'd like to see over the last 5 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Camp starts in 2 weeks... I think the OLB position will be more than good. Ramsey was the #4 OLB heading into 2021 camp and promptly F'd up his leg and was IR'd. Behind Gary & Smith are Ramsey, Enagbare, Garvin, Galeai & Hamilton. Also mentioned as possibly playing some snaps at OLB/Edge was Quay Walker to put the best rushers on the field in some situations. IMHO pass on Tak McKinley, who's under-performed when available, and not available more than you'd like to see over the last 5 years.

Only type of guy I'm adding is a Whitney Mercilus type again if needed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only type of guy I'm adding is a Whitney Mercilus type again if needed.
Yeah I mean there's nothing in Talk McKinley's stats that jumps out at me. He's injured a lot, when he's on the field he can't consistently get to the QB. Am I missing something here?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I mean there's nothing in Talk McKinley's stats that jumps out at me. He's injured a lot, when he's on the field he can't consistently get to the QB. Am I missing something here?

You're not. A better option at OLB for depth would be guys like:

Pernell McPhee
Jamie Collins

Lessor degree there is Malcolm Smith

I would 100% support a McPhee signing for Vet min with incentives.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pernell McPhee
Jamie Collins

I would 100% support a McPhee signing for Vet min with incentives.
That sounds good. There's been early talk of playing Quay Walker outside. I trust the talent evaluators in GB, but really don't like the idea. Walker and Campbell would be a force in stopping or slowing the running game, something GB has needed for a while.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds good. There's been early talk of playing Quay Walker outside. I trust the talent evaluators in GB, but really don't like the idea. Walker and Campbell would be a force in stopping or slowing the running game, something GB has needed for a while.
Just guessing, but I think the situations where Walker would be outside would be definite passing situations where Gary &/or Preston Smith would slide inside. Agree that Walker & Campbell are a dynamic interior presence when run or pass is a play option.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just guessing, but I think the situations where Walker would be outside would be definite passing situations where Gary &/or Preston Smith would slide inside. Agree that Walker & Campbell are a dynamic interior presence when run or pass is a play option.
They may go to something like that once Walker has some experience to 1) confuse the O and 2) have three rushers coming from the LB group. I like it and can't remember when the Packers had one stud at ILB (aside from Campbell last year) rather than two. And now Clark has some help in Wyatt. It worked well for Tampa Bay with Devin White and the other ILB whose name I can't recall. It will work for the Packers now.

D

Deleted member 6794

His addition would further weaponize what I strongly believe could be the best defense ever in Green Bay history.

I highly doubt this year's Packers' defense will be the best in the history of the franchise. It's even extremely unrealistic to expect them to perform better than the 1996 unit which allowed an average of 13.1 points per game.

Pernell McPhee
Jamie Collins

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Collins and Smith primarily inside linebackers?

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt this year's Packers' defense will be the best in the history of the franchise. It's even extremely unrealistic to expect them to perform better than the 1996 unit which allowed an average of 13.1 points per game.
Nearly 30 years removed from the greatest GB defense ever, were clearly in a different era.

Expecting a 2022 GB defense to only surrender 13.1pts/gm is unrealistic.

With a difference of 27 seasons and emphasis on passing over running, I would imagine the 2022 defense will challenge the '96 defense for supremacy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Nearly 30 years removed from the greatest GB defense ever, were clearly in a different era.

With a difference of 27 seasons and emphasis on passing over running, I would imagine the 2022 defense will challenge the '96 defense for supremacy.
The '96 #1 scoring defense followed 2 years of top 5 scoring defenses. Expecting this years team to leap from low teens to the top of the heap is a big ask.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The '96 #1 scoring defense followed 2 years of top 5 scoring defenses. Expecting this years team to leap from low teens to the top of the heap is a big ask.
Fair enough. Time will tell. Very excited for the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and if I recall the 96/97 defense had a lot of proven names - to your point that they were top 5 in the previous 2 years.

Don't get me wrong, I like the changes the Packers have made and I like the way this D has been built. But we're counting on repeat stellar seasons form Douglas and Campbell, and big years form the rookies Wyatt and Walker. I think Campbell and Douglas will be fine, but want to see the repeat after career seasons. As for Walker and Wyatt, they're rookies. Yes first rounders, but I expect a learning curve.

I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. The D looks great. Now they gotta prove it. But I'd be happy with a top 10 finish this year for the D and a big improvement with STs. That looks like a complete team, where each unit is excelling to different extents. (Could it be a year where the D carries the O? I doubt it but the D will have a bigger contribution than past years.)

D

Deleted member 6794

I was replying to your claim of this year's defense could end up being the best in the team's history, which I believe is completely unrealistic.

But, I truly believe this is the most talented unit on that side of the ball since the 2010 Super Bowl team.

I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. The D looks great. Now they gotta prove it. But I'd be happy with a top 10 finish this year for the D and a big improvement with STs.

I fully expect the Packers defense to be one of the best scoring defenses in the league this year as long as they stay fairly healthy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was replying to your claim of this year's defense could end up being the best in the team's history, which I believe is completely unrealistic.

But, I truly believe this is the most talented unit on that side of the ball since the 2010 Super Bowl team.

I fully expect the Packers defense to be one of the best scoring defenses in the league this year as long as they stay fairly healthy.
Among the best scoring defenses? Interesting point. We know Douglas can take the ball away and put up points. Stokes is coming into his own and I expect he'll have at least 1 or 2 pic sixes this year and more INTs. Ditto for Alexander. Campbell and Quay can generate TOs I think. And I consider points off turnovers as attributable, at least in part, to the D. Where else do you see this D helping with scoring? I would also say the team is gonna need it. In the past points scored by the D and after takeaways were "nice to have". With unknowns on offense, I'd say D scoring is more of a "gotta have". Same with STs if Bisaccia can get them in shape. I expect he will.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. Time will tell. Very excited for the season.
I think this D has the potential to be one of the finest units GB has fielded. Potential. There are a lot of ifs. Can Campbell and Douglas repeat their stellar seasons? Will Walker and Campbell together shut down run games, and interfere just enough in the passing game? There's more, and I'm not being pessimistic. There are a lot of moving parts. But damn this sure looks like a good D. And it's been a long time since any of us could say that. Too long actually.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No love for the '62 Packers defense?

You guys seem awfully confident about the Packers D this year. I hope you're right, but my optimism has been basically broken since last year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No love for the '62 Packers defense?

You guys seem awfully confident about the Packers D this year. I hope you're right, but my optimism has been basically broken since last year.
Yeah the key word is "potential". Any remaining optimism I had after 4 losses in the NFCCG were dashed by January's disaster against the Niners. The D allowed zero TDs but the team lost the game. Just keeps things in perspective. Good advice is to never get too high on the Packers chances to win another SB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Takkarist McKinley become Green Bay's new No. 3 edge rusher

Analyzing the roster, I am quite confident that GB needs to shore up the edge rushing depth for this upcoming season.

I think Joe Barry is a great addition as the DC and I would expect this defense to be Top 3 for the 2022 season.

Tak McKinley is realistically a perfect candidate for the No. 3 edge rush position.

His age, production, and pedigree at the very least warrants discussion.

I found the above article and I completely agree with his addition...at a reasonable cost.

Thoughts?
What I like about Joe is that he appears to look for new wrinkles. Even go against what may have worked for him in the past. Our last 5 DCs were so vanilla. Teams figured them out soon enough.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like about Joe is that he appears to look for new wrinkles. Even go against what may have worked for him in the past. Our last 5 DCs were so vanilla. Teams figured them out soon enough.

That's what I like about Joe as well.

Its really fascinating to me how most older coaches refuse to adapt and grow with the changing of the times.

Outliers like Belichick and Reid were humble enough to adjust their ego, which is essential to sustain excellence.

Members online

Latest posts