Tactics under Matt LeFleur

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe we should contact Bill Belichick and ask how to win in these desperate times.

I guess some of us don't consider these to be, "desperate times".

Come on man, you said the Packers weren't going to win this one, so why are you ruffled? I get it, it was an ugly game, but that happens in Football and most sports. The 49'ers are a good team and have strung together many bad seasons and used them to draft some top talent. People are starting to realize that the 49'ers are back. This is what the NFL wants, parity. The Packers are going to need some time to recover from several bad drafts, poor FA signings, as well as being a team that for the most part was stuck at the back of every round in the draft until the last 2 seasons of losing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me in what ways MLF is better than MM? I can't come up with much right now.

Play clock management? Still the same crap with MLF.

Receivers can't get open? We blamed MM's outdated scheme for that. I guess MLF's scheme sucks too.

Fourth down calls? Either last year or the year before MM had a bad play call on 4th down that failed, and the following week he made the exact same call that failed again! I thought MLF was supposed to be more creative than that, but he did the exact same thing last game against Carolina and last night against the 9ers!

Usage of Aaron Jones? There is the perception that MLF is using Jones a lot more than MM did. But looking at Jones game log this season, he's had one game with 19 carries, one game with 23 carries, and all the remaining games he's had 13 carries or less. So not really that much different from MM.
Total touches...what's that number

Receiving is way up

Attachments

• F0BAD1A9-C6A0-4468-B06F-B1C9AA848865.png
    F0BAD1A9-C6A0-4468-B06F-B1C9AA848865.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 117
D

Deleted member 6794

Can anyone tell me in what ways MLF is better than MM? I can't come up with much right now.

Play clock management? Still the same crap with MLF.

Receivers can't get open? We blamed MM's outdated scheme for that. I guess MLF's scheme sucks too.

Fourth down calls? Either last year or the year before MM had a bad play call on 4th down that failed, and the following week he made the exact same call that failed again! I thought MLF was supposed to be more creative than that, but he did the exact same thing last game against Carolina and last night against the 9ers!

Maybe it makes fans realize that execution is of utmost importance after all.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say I like LaFleur, and getting to 10 wins as a rookie HC and the first in Packer history to do that no matter who your QB is is a big deal. I like our HC and believe he'll only get better.

But man, sometimes I just wish he'd get more animated and start angrily yelling at the offense demanding that they show more energy and put more points on the board. Too much complacency on that side of the ball out there.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It happens in every game I watch not named Packers too. Is it really uncommon? Or unique?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It happens in every game I watch not named Packers too. Is it really uncommon? Or unique?

Would love to see some stats on average time on play clock before snaps. Only thing one can base it on is delay of game penalties which the Packers are up there on. Not to mention, sure seems this year there are a decent number of false start penalties based on cadence/play changes.

D

Deleted member 6794

But man, sometimes I just wish he'd get more animated and start angrily yelling at the offense demanding that they show more energy and put more points on the board. Too much complacency on that side of the ball out there.

The Packers offense struggles because of a lack of talent at both receiver and tight end not too much complacency.

Would love to see some stats on average time on play clock before snaps. Only thing one can base it on is delay of game penalties which the Packers are up there on. Not to mention, sure seems this year there are a decent number of false start penalties based on cadence/play changes.

According to Football Outsider only the Ravens take more time than the Packers to snap the ball.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats/2019

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offense struggles because of a lack of talent at both receiver and tight end not too much complacency.

According to Football Outsider only the Ravens take more time than the Packers to snap the ball.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/pacestats/2019
further investigation would show that in the first half, they are 21st. in the 2nd half they take the longest of anyone. I think there is a very explainable reason why.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was convinced of it last year and more convinced of it this year. That's a Rodgers issue, not a coach issue.

I LOVE Aaron...but this aspect of him is seriously drawing my last straw of patience on him. It is ridiculous at this point.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving here to not derail other thread....

it was disheartening to hear they couldn't do any hurry up style offense because guys were having trouble functioning even in the slow down offense still at the end of the year. That has to change.

Which really begs the question...how different/difficult is MLF's offence? What really has changed from previous season? Esp in the passing!

We have a better run game.
Rodgers attempted more short passes (but then lack of a good slot WR and TE hampered this)

What else? SF D mentioned they were able to guess plays to a good extent.

What has changed that makes the entire passing O have so much trouble in even running a slow down O?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What has changed that makes the entire passing O have so much trouble in even running a slow down O?

I am just guessing, but the IQ of the players involved has a lot to do with it. If a completely new offense was inserted, including different terminology, you have 22 or so guys trying to learn it. No fingers were pointed, nor should they, but its pretty obvious that MLF didn't feel that certain players were ready for the full playbook,especially at a faster pace. That could have been anyone really, but if I had to guess, it was a result of some pretty green WR's.

This also helps explain why it often seemed like forever before the Packers broke from a huddle and/or got the ball snapped. Has to be extremely frustrating for both the coach and the QB.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just guessing, but the IQ of the players involved has a lot to do with it.
but if I had to guess, it was a result of some pretty green WR's.

Players switch team all the time and get exposed to new playbooks and terms. Nothing really special in learning a new playbook provided you have been there since OTAs.

If it's really an IQ issue, I have to bring down my expectations from this WR cadere!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If it's really an IQ issue, I have to bring down my expectations from this WR cadere!

Well BINGO! There was your problem, you were expecting too much out of this WR group! ;)

Not to belabor the point, but there is a reason why most of those guy went undrafted or drafted late.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players switch team all the time and get exposed to new playbooks and terms. Nothing really special in learning a new playbook provided you have been there since OTAs.

There probably isn’t one singular reason, like most other things. Some was available playmakers, I think a big part. Some was new staff getting all their stuff right too. Getting systems right to have most efficient plan, practice groupings on field etc. lots of stuff going on.

And I’d say it’s much easier for 1 player to be worked into an established system than it is to take the system and make it new for everyone. More moving parts and variables to consider when it’s new for everyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hmm, to be a passable WR is expecting too much?? :eek:

There is a big difference between bringing one new guy into a well established system and what the Packers just went through.
  • New HC/offensive coordinator
  • New Offense
  • QB learning new offense
  • One WR with proven talent on Roster
  • No pass catching threats at TE
  • new RG and LG

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And I’d say it’s much easier for 1 player to be worked into an established system than it is to take the system and make it new for everyone. More moving parts and variables to consider when it’s new for everyone.

Stop peeking over my shoulder!

D

Deleted member 6794

You have to realize that learning a new system seems to be way harder than you imagine. The other seven clubs with a new head coach combined to have a 39-72-1 (.353) record last season.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16-3 under MLF as of now. Better start than any of the coaches we've had before including Lombardi and Lambeau. And 2 games without Davante and Clark plus other injuries and still get 122 points in 3 games. AR12 looks rejuvenated!

Go Matt Go!

Members online