Tactics under Matt LeFleur

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe it was mentioned already and I missed it, but Adams caught five passes for 70 yards and a touchdown while operating as the slot receiver in a trips formation against the Lions this past season.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we had a first look at MLFs short horizontal snap offence with AR making throws under 3 seconds....and how it failed miserably. But what made me happy is that he realized it within a quarter and switched to a more familiar vertical offence showing immediate improvement.

So what do you think our setup will be for next game?

Snap throws may still be in playbook when the opponent defence is not as dominant as the Bears. But against Top 10 Ds we'll probably see a hybrid short drop back pass to someone near the LoS for a short carry as mainstay interspersed with some vertical longs to keep opposition jumping.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m really not too concerned with the O, nor with players there that don’t necessarily show up on the stat line, like Geronimo last night.

SO many targets...

You only get good at football by playing football. LaFleur & Rodgers will get this running like a well oiled machine in about 3-4 weeks.

What encouraged me most was LaFleur having the balls to stick with the run, whether he suffered a loss, a pile of dust, or an 8 yd gain. To me, this will be the most vital factor in righting the ship on O. It will augment the effectiveness of our passing game, and will save Rodgers.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense wins championships. That defense last night looked so different, so much more confident, so cocky(whether warranted or not). It has been so long since I've seen that. And I will say it again, having a great punter and really good special team play is so important. Without both last night they wouldn't have won last night. This teams overall attitude is so different from years past. Keep it up gentlemen! Bears/Packers games are almost always stinkers as far as offense goes so I don't put much credence in that. As 12 said years ago, RELAX because really that was there first real game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF's decision to run on 3rd down late when they needed a first down thankfully didn't come back to bite them. abandoned the run too. he'll learn from that.
He didn't abandon the run. When you're 0 or -2 on first down run production or 2nd down run production, you're not setting yourself up to run more plays or more running plays. Run on 3rd and 10? so we have more run plays? Running well sets up more run plays. getting stoned repeatedly means you're going to run less because down, distance and number of plays requires it. If you want to have a chance to win that is.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we had a first look at MLFs short horizontal snap offence with AR making throws under 3 seconds....and how it failed miserably. But what made me happy is that he realized it within a quarter and switched to a more familiar vertical offence showing immediate improvement.

So what do you think our setup will be for next game?

Snap throws may still be in playbook when the opponent defence is not as dominant as the Bears. But against Top 10 Ds we'll probably see a hybrid short drop back pass to someone near the LoS for a short carry as mainstay interspersed with some vertical longs to keep opposition jumping.
3 seconds is a long time. every team aspires to get the ball out in less than 3. and when have quick throws ever been a problem for rodgers?..who can make ALL the throws. the thing was he never set his feet last night and many of his sacks were due to him holding the ball too long..again. i'd love to see the coaches tape to see if guys weren't getting open or he was passing up open guys.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 seconds is a long time. every team aspires to get the ball out in less than 3. and when have quick throws ever been a problem for rodgers?..who can make ALL the throws. the thing was he never set his feet last night and many of his sacks were due to him holding the ball too long..again. i'd love to see the coaches tape to see if guys weren't getting open or he was passing up open guys.

Early on when he didn't hold on to the ball, we didn't get any traction. It's only when he started dropping back and going vertical, we made progress. I think against a Top 5 D we really should let AR drop out of pocket often.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was a real challenge for MLF as he likely was aware that McVay's offense put up 6 points on that defense last year. Goff in that game through 4 ints and Gurley only ran for about 30 yards, so I think they were cautious with the game plan and really shortened the bench in some respects to probably limit mistakes. Hence why we saw little from the Tonyan's, Kumerows, Davis (until he had that remarkable play), Allison and why we saw more two TE sets. I was surprised to see Lewis involved in the passing game. I was also surprised that Vitali didn't get much work in the passing game considering he seemed to be making plays in the offseason.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't abandon the run. When you're 0 or -2 on first down run production or 2nd down run production, you're not setting yourself up to run more plays or more running plays. Run on 3rd and 10? so we have more run plays? Running well sets up more run plays. getting stoned repeatedly means you're going to run less because down, distance and number of plays requires it. If you want to have a chance to win that is.

Well, now, we'll have to see. Even my wife questioned the pass on 2nd down instead of the run... and, damn. I'd like to see that coaches tape too. This might be one of those teaching moments, coming together moments, where Aaron and LaFleur further establish what needs to happen. We don't know. Did Aaron check out of run? Did Matt want pass? What were the factors in play?

Sticking with the run, and not giving up on the run are one in the same. It requires a commitment to pounding the rock. We had such horrid blocking, that might have been a factor too... As long as they get this cleared up.

Also, 2 yds and a pile of dust is fine. There are the other big ones that break opponent's backs. We didn't even get there with the low number of reps. I wonder why? There might be some "I gotta do it all" stuff remaining with Rodgers causing him to switch out, possibly. The whole thing is a process. They will figure it out, and clearly look to be working well with each other. All in good time.

Imagine being a fly on the wall for that OL mtg...

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this was a real challenge for MLF as he likely was aware that McVay's offense put up 6 points on that defense last year. Goff in that game through 4 ints and Gurley only ran for about 30 yards, so I think they were cautious with the game plan and really shortened the bench in some respects to probably limit mistakes. Hence why we saw little from the Tonyan's, Kumerows, Davis (until he had that remarkable play), Allison and why we saw more two TE sets. I was surprised to see Lewis involved in the passing game. I was also surprised that Vitali didn't get much work in the passing game considering he seemed to be making plays in the offseason.

WINNER WINNER WINNER!!!!!!! poppy San, tell him what he's won!

BTW, Lewis is a perfectly good receiver. He got those veteran reps you are referring to here. I was thrilled to see him get his touches.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People worried about the Packer running game after one game against the Bears need to realize....it was against the Bears. Give the Bears credit, that is a pretty darn good defense, one that gave up the fewest rushing yards in 2018 and 3rd fewest total yards. I actually wasn't expecting the Packer offense to do a whole lot last night. First game of the year, no work for AR in preseason and most importantly on the road against an extremely good defense.

Give AR, MLF and the rest of the offense a few weeks and they will be just fine.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF admitted to it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF admitted to it.
which you take to mean, he just didn't want to run any more and he'll "learn" to stick to it. To which I responded, he stopped because it wasn't ****ing working and he'd have been an idiot to do what you suggest. There's a very big difference, but you think "he admitted to it" LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now, we'll have to see. Even my wife questioned the pass on 2nd down instead of the run... and, damn. I'd like to see that coaches tape too. This might be one of those teaching moments, coming together moments, where Aaron and LaFleur further establish what needs to happen. We don't know. Did Aaron check out of run? Did Matt want pass? What were the factors in play?

Sticking with the run, and not giving up on the run are one in the same. It requires a commitment to pounding the rock. We had such horrid blocking, that might have been a factor too... As long as they get this cleared up.

Also, 2 yds and a pile of dust is fine. There are the other big ones that break opponent's backs. We didn't even get there with the low number of reps. I wonder why? There might be some "I gotta do it all" stuff remaining with Rodgers causing him to switch out, possibly. The whole thing is a process. They will figure it out, and clearly look to be working well with each other. All in good time.

Imagine being a fly on the wall for that OL mtg...
There was nothing wrong with that pass at the end of the game on 2nd down. It needed to be a better pass, that's it. at worst, it's 3rd and 1, or likely a first down if he makes a clean catch and can turn up field. Game over. At that point in the game it was either get the first down and seal the victory OR our defense was going to have to make a stop. The Bears were going to have plenty of time when they got the ball back. At that point, getting the first down was a lot more important than making the Bears use a timeout. It's not as if GB was going to be able to run it down to 30 seconds or something before they kicked.

There was nothing wrong with passing on that play, other than the pass itself. That should have been a gimme, especially for Rodgers.

and we weren't getting 2 yards and a pile of dust. We gained zero or lost yards on plenty of runs last night.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with passing on that play, other than the pass itself. That should have been a gimme, especially for Rodgers.
I'd run the ball, but I'm torn a little. We should have made them burn all their timeouts by running. But on the other hand, they knew we were going to run. So with that defense (and our run game), I'm not sure how likely it would have been that we would have gotten a first down.

Could be one of those I knew that you knew that I knew that you knew type of things.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which you take to mean, he just didn't want to run any more and he'll "learn" to stick to it. To which I responded, he stopped because it wasn't ******* working and he'd have been an idiot to do what you suggest. There's a very big difference, but you think "he admitted to it" LOL
i didn't suggest anything (?). oh and i looked at the tape again...he said he didn't do a good job staying committed to the run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didn't suggest anything (?). oh and i looked at the tape again...he said he didn't do a good job staying committed to the run.
Oh, ok.

This is another one of those times you say something and then pretend it has no meaning lol

MLF's decision to run on 3rd down late when they needed a first down thankfully didn't come back to bite them. abandoned the run too. he'll learn from that.

He didn’t abandon the run and need to learn from it, you’re rewatching the tape apparently. Pay closer attention to the run production and you’ll see he learned just fine. You can only gain zero yards so many times on first down or the one time you actually gain 5 you can’t lose 2 on the next.

But just note the production on runs and you’ll see why they didn’t run more. Toss in at least 5 3rd and 10+ situations it shouldn’t shock anyone we didn’t run more.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Dexter Williams gets activated soon. Like having two sets of fresh legs back there when Jones is spelled.
I hope we see more 2TE with #12 under center.
I don't understand all the East/West motion with the FB. I thought we were going to get penalties for sure. We'll see.
Anyway, like everybody else, I am pumped! :cool:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with that pass at the end of the game on 2nd down. It needed to be a better pass, that's it. at worst, it's 3rd and 1, or likely a first down if he makes a clean catch and can turn up field. Game over. At that point in the game it was either get the first down and seal the victory OR our defense was going to have to make a stop. The Bears were going to have plenty of time when they got the ball back. At that point, getting the first down was a lot more important than making the Bears use a timeout. It's not as if GB was going to be able to run it down to 30 seconds or something before they kicked.

and we weren't getting 2 yards and a pile of dust. We gained zero or lost yards on plenty of runs last night.

Fully agree and had it been a better pass and a catch, people in here would be posting how much they love MLF for not being as conservative as MM would have been in that situation.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Fully agree and had it been a better pass and a catch, people in here would be posting how much they love MLF for not being as conservative as MM would have been in that situation.
Totally agree. Nothing wrong with the call, AR just made a lousy throw.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...ur-aaron-rodgers-play-action-week-1-bears-win

The only remarkable offensive play from Week 1 came off play-action, yet it was something the Packers called just six times compared to 30 straight drops.

With run fakes, Aaron Rodgers went 4/5 for 84 yards and a QB rating of 118.8, which would have been good for third in the league last season off play-action. Without it, Rodgers struggled, going 14 of 25 for 119 yards and a 81.9 rating, although he did toss his lone touchdown.

Members online

Latest posts