Tackling

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching other games and other teams closely and looking at the tackling. I was thinking that, certainly the Packers tackling can't be THAT bad and it must just be the typical fan bashing and complaining.

It's clear however that the Packers in general are a God awful tackling team. I watched the game last night and honestly... it's embarrassing how bad the Packers look in comparison to a team like the 49ers....and even the Rams look much better tackling.

I would love to get some feedback and information from somebody/coach, scout etc... that's watches film and knows the reason. Is it simply bad technique or is it that the Packers are just not coached well and are seldom in position...whereas the niners for instance are often in position so it's not a matter of tackling better but actually just being in better position to make the tackle...?

It really is a night and day difference watching most of the NFL and then watching the Packers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers tackling has been all that bad this year except when Brad Jones is in the game. I would say that these guys don't 100 percent trust their teammates to be in the right place so they don't sell out 100 percent and attack the ball carrier always. That is why I think once they started to gel as a unit with Lattimore they seemed to get better. When Jones came back in the game he was missing tackles because he is terrible at tackling and everything else and other guys were playing hesitant to cover for him and not attacking.

Watch how AJ Hawk plays when Lattimore is in vs Jones. He never fully attacks his gap when Jones is in because he is staying home to cover for Jone's ******** up his own assignment. When Lattimore was in he would shoot his gap and make some great run stopping tackles near the LOS and not 5 yards off it.

I think the general difference is that the 49ers have some better players but besides that they play a 100 percent sell out and attack style and the packers have more of a bend dont break mentality towards tackling........and that is accentuated when untrusted backups are in the game.

I will take their performance vs the bears and Vikings and the 1st half vs the dolphins any day.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I coach and i tell the boys all the time a tackle is a tackle...if you get ran over and the guy falls? guess what? it's still considered a tackle. It's really more effort and concentration more than anything when it comes to tackling.. a lot of the time i see our guys in position to make tackles but they miss because they don't focus on bringing the guy down. Whats funny is as much as i can't stand Pete Carrol the Seahawks they tackle well because this is something they practice on and put major emphasis on during the week. We've even tought our boys how to perform the "Hawk" tackle. YouTube it..it actually works because it teaches you how to breakdown, wrap up, and roll or spin the defender to the ground vs the arm tackling i see so much of. Packers need to watch that video.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers tackling has been all that bad this year except when Brad Jones is in the game. I would say that these guys don't 100 percent trust their teammates to be in the right place so they don't sell out 100 percent and attack the ball carrier always. That is why I think once they started to gel as a unit with Lattimore they seemed to get better. When Jones came back in the game he was missing tackles because he is terrible at tackling and everything else and other guys were playing hesitant to cover for him and not attacking.

Watch how AJ Hawk plays when Lattimore is in vs Jones. He never fully attacks his gap when Jones is in because he is staying home to cover for Jone's ******** up his own assignment. When Lattimore was in he would shoot his gap and make some great run stopping tackles near the LOS and not 5 yards off it.

I think the general difference is that the 49ers have some better players but besides that they play a 100 percent sell out and attack style and the packers have more of a bend dont break mentality towards tackling........and that is accentuated when untrusted backups are in the game.

I will take their performance vs the bears and Vikings and the 1st half vs the dolphins any day.

That is exactly dead nuts on to what I'm seeing! I seldom see them sell out like I see most teams defenses.

Although I'm not sold yet that some of our LB have all-pro instincts back there. Even Lattimore... I remember a play a where he was standing 5 yards in the endzone on a TD run on a play it was obvious what hole the back was going to shoot. He stood flat footed and ended up making contact 3 yards deep into the endzone. That's not good.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've read, we don't practice tackling. We're concentrating on turnovers, not tackles; and it shows. It worked in 2011 until the playoffs; and it will fail this year as well. The 2 most important things in football: Blocking and tackling. We're nowhere near the best in either.

Reaction score
Listen? I'm not a tackling expert. I played 7th,8th grade football but I know this much from my short tenure. You don't watch the head bob. You don't watch the shoulders. You don't take the fancy foot bait. And you damn sure don't hesitate and wait and let the runner dictate. You focus on the waist and the waist only because it doesn't lie and you gotta be the aggressor, you wrap the waist and slide down. Those principles won't get you necessarily in position directly but I can all but assure you those Brad Jones shoe string tackles won't work any better than those concepts. I honestly think we are weak in fundamentals.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that the Packers have been a terrible tackling team in general the past few years. However, I feel like it has actually gotten better the last few weeks. Especially the Vikings game. Did you see how they were flying to the ball that game?

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that the Packers have been a terrible tackling team in general the past few years. However, I feel like it has actually gotten better the last few weeks. Especially the Vikings game. Did you see how they were flying to the ball that game?

I don't think we can hang our hat on that game for anything. We won and I don't ever take a win lightly, but that Vikings team was as flat as I have ever seen a team. Also, in watching the replay of that game, Burnett actually saved our LB azzez on several plays where they were standing around. So, I'm not sold it was as good as we might think.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the Packers are more inconsistent than horrible tackling. For example in the first half vs. the Dolphins the tackling was pretty good. I don't like the source but in any discussion of tackling this video should probably be included.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Seahawks-Tackling/af5b80dd-7e39-4519-8b80-ad558292b1a6
NorthWestCheeseHead linked to it about a month ago (may have been mentioned/linked earlier). Sound tackling can be practiced without a high risk of injury and even without pads. I don't like Carroll but this is an excellent instruction video IMO.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the Packers are more inconsistent than horrible tackling. For example in the first half vs. the Dolphins the tackling was pretty good. I don't like the source but in any discussion of tackling this video should probably be included.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Seahawks-Tackling/af5b80dd-7e39-4519-8b80-ad558292b1a6
NorthWestCheeseHead linked to it about a month ago (may have been mentioned/linked earlier). Sound tackling can be practiced without a high risk of injury and even without pads. I don't like Carroll but this is an excellent instruction video IMO.
What I find interesting about that video is that we get to hear a head coach talk about strategy and technique.
It also shows why the Sea Hawks are as good as they are, why they beat us and why they are SB winners.
And with the emphasis on reducing injury reduces some of the dislike I have for them.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Against average teams anyway.
I wouldn't care if we played the Cleveland Clowns for all 16 weeks. I'll take a win against any team.
Though I am hoping that these are just warm ups for when we go to the playoffs.

Last edited:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if we played the Cleveland Clowns for all 16 weeks. I'll take a win against any team.
Though I am hoping that these are just warm ups for when we go to the playoffs.
Those clowns kind of put the beat down on the Steelers. Be better to versus the Jaguars, where their mascot's words aren't half as offensive as what they call an offense. Was in a league last year to pick what team would win, my boss and I had the strategy pick against the Jags, it worked.

Packers are a team that lives and dies by turnovers, and with our offense that has been an effective strategy, when it fails, well 9/10 I wouldn't point to our offense not putting up the points.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's that often played clip of Lombardi yelling from the sideline." Nobody tackling, everybody just grabbing. Grab, grab, grab. Put your shoulder into it."

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not only the Packers. I've heard a number of veteran sources say that tackling in the NFL generally is as bad as they've ever seen it. Why is anybody's guess. Watch films of football from the '60's and '70's and you'll see good, proper tackling. Seems to have begun to drop off as the NFL and college both began to shift to more offensive emphases and advantages during the last twenty or so years.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not only the Packers. I've heard a number of veteran sources say that tackling in the NFL generally is as bad as they've ever seen it. Why is anybody's guess. Watch films of football from the '60's and '70's and you'll see good, proper tackling. Seems to have begun to drop off as the NFL and college both began to shift to more offensive emphases and advantages during the last twenty or so years.

I think there other reasons too. The number of practices is very limited compared to back in the day. They only have 14 padded practices per regular season and when they use them, I highly doubt they do much tackling as injury rates are so high.

Middle school teams do more hitting than NFL teams.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there other reasons too. The number of practices is very limited compared to back in the day. They only have 14 padded practices per regular season and when they use them, I highly doubt they do much tackling as injury rates are so high.

Middle school teams do more hitting than NFL teams.

Yep...and...as far as the downfield tackling...obviously the rule changes have an impact.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
The number of practices is very limited compared to back in the day. They only have 14 padded practices per regular season

....and to think HCs might save a few for the playoffs. No wonder ACL injuries are up.....(over 50 last year)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe poor technique is the #1 problem. While the cutback in practice time doesn't help, I've long been of the opinion that these guys rely on getting by too much with their size, speed and athletic ability.
You can see a better fundamentally played game in Pop Warner than in the NFL.

Reaction score
Thank you! I need to tell ya, This really upset my boss though.
Apparently I left a large bruise on his thigh as I drove through him on his way into the building. But boy, that lateral tracking worked eloquently when he tried to get away.. He didn't stand a chance

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Thank you! I need to tell ya, This really upset my boss though.
Apparently I left a large bruise on his thigh as I drove through him on his way into the building. But boy, that lateral tracking worked eloquently when he tried to get away.. He didn't stand a chance

You seriously need help !! :roflmao:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts