1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Swedish music!

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Dagento, Mar 9, 2008.

1. DarkaneRules

DarkaneRules Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Oh cool! Yeah making money and making metal rarely mix haha.

I suppose offering recommendations really depends on what you are in the mood for. My mood varies constantly but it usually dictates I listen to metal no matter what, and with so many sub-genres, that is always possible :)

I actually have a recommendation for you on the epic metal side of things which seems to be where you hold the most interest. Check out this link:
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=92890

That is a story about the upcoming album from the band Pyramaze with two song downloads to preview. Their upcoming album has Matt Barlow who was Iced Earth's original singer (he has since joined that band again after being away for years working in law enforcement). This is actually some of the better epic metal I have heard in recent years. I find most of it too hokey and not actually powerful enough, but this is quite good and I think you will like it a lot.

Elsewhere in metal I just love so many bands, but here are some bands in different sub-genres that I have a personal love for. I could obviously list more. The styles range from band to band and even album to album so all I can do is list the name otherwise my head would explode trying to describe them all.

Darkane
    Soilwork
    Theory In Practice
    Ram-Zet
    Unexpect
    Decapitated
    Circus Maximus
    Extol
    Andromeda
    Angra
    Scar Symmetry
    Symphony X
    Nevermore
    Devin Townsend (solo) / Strapping Young Lad
    Dream Theater
    Sybreed

2. Packers_Finland

Packers_Finland Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've seen them live. Turunen was in my opinion a lot more still, not really being a good performer, but Anette is great a performer.

3. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Of that list, Nevermore was really good live and their album Dead Heart in a Dead World is quite good. I had one Scar Symmetry album and didn't like and it sold it back to the record store (the record store here buys back albums). Dream Theater is excellent.

SYL/Townsend I can only stomach if I'm in the right mood. The guy is literally crazy, so I can't take a steady dose of him.

4. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From the DVDs I've seen Turunen, she looked very stiff live. My wife isn't too crazy about her. She said she was something along the lines of "robotic." But she loves Annette.

Annette doesn't have the voice of Tarja, but she does have better stage presence and is more charismatic. I've also heard she's more "professional" and not so much a "diva." I hate divas, and I couldn't be in a band with one. I guess neither could Tuomas, Emmpu, Jukka, and Marco.

5. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bumping.

I'm a member of eMusic and my month resets tonight, so if any of those bands are on eMusic, I'll download their albums. For those of you who don't know, it's just another one of those music services that artists upload their mp3s and get paid per download. So the more people who download, the more the band makes.

Anyways, Scythe, I'll let you know what I think of those bands in the next few days (if they use this service).

6. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    holy wow - i MUST be old if cheesey & i know the SAME friggin band?!? ;)

7. ElleBlue

ElleBlue Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Opeth, Nightwish, HIM, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are great bands. Is Cradle of Filth a Swede band too?

German music?
    Rammstein and Larm Micht kick butt!

8. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! You and I have almost the same taste.

Of those bands, I've seen them all live except for Opeth which I really wanted to see.

As for nationalities:
    Opeth - Swedish
    Nightwish & HIM - Finnish
    Cradle of Filth - English
    Dimmu Borgir - I think Norwegian but not sure

9. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    David Hasselhoff! :lol:

10. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't trust Swedish music...it insists upon itself.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was a kid when Night Rider came out and even then, I knew that guy shouldn't sing. He sang on a few episodes of Night Rider, and it was bad, really bad.

12. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Scythe - Pain of Salvation, Paatos, and Anekdoten:

Of the 3, I only liked Paatos. I like her voice and love their use of the mellotron although their music sometimes goes off in tangents or into space in some weird direction and it takes several minutes to come back down to Earth.

Their instrumentation is quite good, but sometimes it's too much. It's one of those things where good musicians get carried away and venture too far from the original idea of the song. Sometimes it works (as Pink Floyd always seemed to make it do) and sometimes it doesn't (some of you might hate me for saying this, but I think Sonic Youth is the prime example of when it doesn't).

I now have 3 of their albums. I'm sure they're one of those bands that will grow on you so I'll keep listening to them. So far, I do like them though.

13. Scythe

Scythe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree that Paatos is the best amongst the three. I think PoS and Anekdoten are much more of an acquired taste. Which PoS album(s) did you listen to?

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The newest one that was on eMusic.com. They had 30 second samples and I listen to half of them. They just didn't do it for me.

Paatos though is really growing on me.

15. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, no love for Meshuggah? What about The Refused? They're more on the hardcore side, but they were way ahead of anything going on here in the states.

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You probably heard it on the "oldies" station........while it was "new" music for me!!! :lol: