Surprises

Reaction score
In order to change the direction of the forums, let's talk about ANY players (Packers included) that have surprised you this SEASON in a positive way.

I'll start:
- Charles Woodson: Has come on strong after a rought start to the season. Really an improvement over "Holding, 28, Defence" Carroll.

- Aaron Kampman: WOW! Who would have expected him to have such a season? He has given effort every play, and maximized his talent. It's a sad more people aren't like him in the league.

- Ladanian Tomlinson: We all new he was good, but on pace for a record 34 rushing TDs good? He has passed, caught balls, and ran circles around defenders. I have fallen in love with this guy, I made him the first pick in the fantasy team and he has won me games single handedly! :D

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer Related:

Charles Woodson - Has really proven he hasn't lost a step. Leads the team in picks and was the playmaker we all hoped but didn't think he would be. Except for Joker.

Scott Wells - Has gone through some struggles but has made a lot of key blocks and is really tough in the trenches. Should be our Center for years to come.

NFL

Marques Colston - 7th round rookie who was projected to be an H-Back or TE. He's blossomed as a WR that should be really good for years to come. If he wouldn't of gotten hurt he would of likely gone to the Pro Bowl at the pace he was going.

Frank Gore - New he was going to be solid but didn't think he'd lead the NFC in rushing. Has emerged as a great RB and really looks like he'll be something special as long as he remains healthy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Woody, and Kampan, Hawk..

I really hated the woodson pick up, but I am glad to say where is my crow..

Big Ben, what a down fall he has taken..Just wondering what is going on with him..

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers:
Jon Ryan, was just hoping our local boy could make it and he's done better then expected. He does need to work on the hangtime but I believe he'll keep improving.
Kampman, always good to see when lunchpail type player finally gets his credit.

NFL:
LT: As much for his talent as watching how he handles himself. If this guy wouldn't score 30 td's no one would notice him cause he's the quitest palyer around. I love how he celebrates td's by just giving his o-lineman a hug and walking to the bench.
Eric Mangini: If the Jets make the playoffs he is definitaly the best first year coach

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Would Vince Young be on this list?

His numbers are by no means impressive for a QB, but to lead come from behind wins, especially the one against the Giants is impressive.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Surprises huh? Well, this one time I bent ov... ooh wait a tick

I've liked Drew Brees from the time he was drafted. I didn't like Vick at all. I thought the Chargers did good on that trade. Then when he blossomed I held some hope he'd be a Packer when they drafted Phillip Rivers.

After the surgery he had. I think it was similar to the one that shortened Don Majkowski's career.

I didn't think he'd be the same QB ever again.

So I'd have to say his level of play is a surprise to me. Soley because of his injury and I thought maybe it was the system that he finally learned and made a player out of himself.

I'd say Jennings for the Packers but he came on immediately. I'd have to say Woodson for Packers. I was stoked we got him, hated it during the pre season and first few games. Then the Eagles game and I fell in love with the Wolverine all over again.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Packers, Woodson has been the only real positive surprise for me. And Kampman's pass rushing has definitely been a surprise, though he's tailed off lately.

In the NFL, Tomlinson is no surprise because he has been great for years now, but has been vastly underappreciated. There was even one year when he didn't make the Pro Bowl, which was a crime.

Others have already mentioned most of the best candidates, but I have another obvious one: Tony Romo.

Gilbertdaman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what pickett has done this year to be a surprise. Honestly this has got to be one of the worst FA players we picked up. Look at the run game. He never gets double teamed, never is in the backfield, and never is in on many plays. I am sorry if you watched the Bears, Queens or alot of other teams against us thier defensive tackles are always in our back field. How many times have we made a 3 or 4th and a foot. How many times have we stopped another team on such situations. None that I can remember and that goes right back to Pickett.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
In the NFL, Tomlinson is no surprise because he has been great for years now, but has been vastly underappreciated. There was even one year when he didn't make the Pro Bowl, which was a crime.

Others have already mentioned most of the best candidates, but I have another obvious one: Tony Romo.

Very good points on both players..Romo is prob the biggest suprise right now for me as far as being good...And again I said Big Ben as far as being bad..

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what pickett has done this year to be a surprise. Honestly this has got to be one of the worst FA players we picked up. Look at the run game. He never gets double teamed, never is in the backfield, and never is in on many plays. I am sorry if you watched the Bears, Queens or alot of other teams against us thier defensive tackles are always in our back field. How many times have we made a 3 or 4th and a foot. How many times have we stopped another team on such situations. None that I can remember and that goes right back to Pickett.

Pickett isn't a pass rusher or someone who will penerate the backfield. He's not fast enough. Like Gilbert Brown Pickett is a big guy and his job is hold his ground and stop the run. He has 48 tackles which leads the NFC for interior lineman and is 2nd on the team to Aaron Kampman which leads the NFC for Defensive lineman in tackles with 64. He's been rather good. When teams run they run away from Pickett and Kampman because they can play the run. Everyone else is a weak link.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed that Pickett hasn't been a surprise. He's been pretty much what he was expected to be when he was signed. Nothing more, nothing less. You do make a good point about the Packers not being able to stop oppsoing offenses in short yardage situations, and some of that has to be on Pickett.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well explained porky... Pickett has done his job. no complaints. Leading the NFC in tackles at his position. man what a wasted signing.

c-wood is doing what we got him for, and im not very suprised.
I am suprised that kamp has kept up his pace from last year.
im suprised collins has taken such a step back
Im suprised the o-line has done as well as it has. granted they arent great and we have a horrible win record. but we are starting 3 rookies and 1 1st time starter. and a fast aging tackle. doesnt sound like a great line, but they sure have played past expectations.

LT. has been my 1st pick in every NFL Fantasy league ive done the past 3 years. he is so good id pick him first in my NBA fantasy league. the guy is a true force. has been for several years. and the only reason he is still underrated is because he doesnt do the freakin cha-cha every time he scores.

dont jump on the romo bandwagon just yet. hes decent... but wait till the rest of the DC's in the league get good film on him. he will be toast just like bledsoe.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things I am happy about with the Packers.....AJ Hawk, Woodson, and Greg Jennings. I could start on the list of things that suck, but that would take to long.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gilbertdaman said:

Pickett isn't a pass rusher or someone who will penerate the backfield. He's not fast enough. Like Gilbert Brown Pickett is a big guy and his job is hold his ground and stop the run. He has 48 tackles which leads the NFC for interior lineman and is 2nd on the team to Aaron Kampman which leads the NFC for Defensive lineman in tackles with 64. He's been rather good. When teams run they run away from Pickett and Kampman because they can play the run. Everyone else is a weak link.

They run to KGB side

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really surprised by Romo. God i hate the cowboys. i am surprised that the seahawks let hutchinson go and then have been so ****ing surprised that shaun alexander isn't performing like he did last year. I'm surprised that so many packers fans are surprised that marquand manuel sucks. i'm surprised that our defense is SO bad. I am surprised that Frank Gore is kicking so much ***. I have been pleasantly surprised at Vernand Morency's production. I'm surprised that Carson Palmer is able to perform as well as he is this year considering his knee surgery last year. i have experience with that type of injury and i know that the physical healing is one thing, but the mental part, getting back out there and regaining the same mental toughness you had before the injury, that is really hard to do. my last knee surgery was about 7 years ago and that fear of hurting myself again is always in the back of my mind

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Drew Brees? I didnt expect him to be so good after his shoulder surgery. He's the best qb in the NFC this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brad Johnson...really shocked at his performance, and seems like Childress feels the same and prob is benching him..

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on the QB topic did any one expect Rex Grossman to be this bad? I wasnt expeting him to come in and be a great QB. But I wasnt expecting the bad play that he has brought so far this year.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on the QB topic did any one expect Rex Grossman to be this bad? I wasnt expeting him to come in and be a great QB. But I wasnt expecting the bad play that he has brought so far this year.

True and also a reminder of how overall success can help gloss over individual struggles.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts