Surprise, Surprise...... Grady Jackson wants out of GB.

Reaction score
Jackson met on Thursday with TT and Andrew Brandt regarding a new deal, and was flat out told "NO", and now hes *****ing and moaning. Here's the article:

"I just told them I want to be cut or traded," Jackson said as he departed Lambeau Field after his meeting with the two executives. "I just talked to them and told them how I feel."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/344560.asp

What an idiot! Honestly, to say something like that at this time, you have to be a *******. I respect Grady for playing hurt and all, but he is ONE player and we can replace him. I say sit his *** down, because if his heart isn't in it anymore, don't let him win by giving him to another team, just sit his *** down. This is getting way out of hand. I wish more players were like Farve, putting the team first and never holding out or any of that crap.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson wants out

Nose tackle asks to be cut or traded

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: July 28, 2005

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers will have every one of their signed players on board when the first full-squad training camp practice commences Friday, but it doesn't necessarily mean all of them will have grins on their faces.

The first to express his public displeasure with management was nose tackle Grady Jackson, who reported for a mandatory meeting Wednesday night but in a Thursday meeting with general manager Ted Thompson and vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt said he didn't want to play here anymore.

"I just told them I want to be cut or traded," Jackson said as he departed Lambeau Field after his meeting with the two executives. "I just talked to them and told them how I feel."

Asked what response he got, Jackson said: "They said they aren't going to do it, it's not going to happen. I wish it happened because I feel like if they don't want me here, then they should get someone else who they think can do the job."

Jackson stopped short of saying he wouldn't give 100% once in uniform, but he made it clear that his heart was not with the organization the way it was after signing a two-year, $2.31 million contract at the end of the 2003 season. He said he thought the Packers' refusal to upgrade the deal after a year in which he said he played hurt was a slap in the face.

He said he gave some thought to not reporting but decided it would be financially unwise given that the team could fine him $6,000 a day. When he arrived in camp, he went directly to the front office to discuss his situation.

"They act like they don't want to respect me," Jackson said. "The simple fact is that if I'm ranked in the top 20 or top 10 of run-stoppers, then I feel like they need to honor that. They're not honoring that.

"I feel like, get someone else to do the job, let him do the job and let me go."

Jackson was asked several times whether he would give less than 100% for the Packers, but each time he said no. He said he thought his best chance for the future was to play for himself and then hope another team trades for him or makes an offer after the season, when he is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent.

Asked if his heart would be in it, this season, Jackson said, "It's hard to say. Probably will, probably not. I feel like I'm in the top 10 of D-tackles - run-stopper D-tackles - and I'm not getting paid like Ted Washington, Sam Adams and Pat Williams, and what's the different between us? That's how I look at it."

Quite awhile later, wide receiver Javon Walker, another Packer who is unhappy with his contract, left Lambeau Field. Walker was not willing yet to discuss his return to the team, one day after he decided against holding out.

Walker said he would address the situation soon but he gave no clue as to his reasons for reporting after skipping a mandatory minicamp and threatening to holdout out of training camp.

Unlike Jackson, Walker did not have a sit-down with Thompson, the Packers' first-year general manager. Thompson said he expected to talk with Walker soon, but hadn't had the opportunity to do so.

On Wednesday, Thompson heard from a number of fans at the team's shareholders meeting that the Packers should not give in to Walker's demands to renegotiate the final two years of his contract. When asked whether the Packers had done anything for Walker, Thompson said no.

"We don't comment on what we discuss with players or agents, but nothing's changed," Thompson said.

Several media stories quoting sources from the Walker camp have suggested that the Packers dropped the $18,000 in fines the wide receiver accrued for missing a three-day minicamp in April in exchange for him returning, but Thompson said that wasn't true.

"None of those things have been determined," he said.

As for Jackson's request to be traded or cut, Thompson said he preferred not to address a private conversation between himself and a player. He said he thought Jackson could be a productive player for the Packers and was eager to see him on the field for the first time.

Thompson said he found it hard to believe either Jackson or Walker would give less than 100% once he took the field.

"From everything I've been told, and I don't know these fellas as well as a lot of people in this building, both of them are very professional as they go about their craft," Thompson said. "They conduct themselves in a professional manner."

Jackson, who is scheduled to make $665,000 this year, $65,000 of which was advanced to him earlier this year, said he didn't feel a connection with Walker because he has only one year left on his contract and thinks it is not out of line to reward him for his services. Last year, Jackson missed five games because of a dislocated kneecap but returned to play in 10 others and was a solid contributor when in the lineup.

Since he joined the team on Nov. 4, 2003, the Packers are 15-6, including playoffs, when he has played and 2-4 when he hasn't.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the Packers," Jackson said. "It's with upstairs, it's not the Packers. (It's) the business side I'm unhappy with. It's not my teammates and this and that. It's just from the business."

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It amazes me how quickly some of these guys forget. When he was cut by the Saints, most teams didn't want him because he had a bad reputation. I remember the Packers and Panthers being interested in him, but I don't remember a lot of interest from other teams. At the time I got the impression the experience of being cut humbled him a little as he seemed to be doing his best to try and fit in Green Bay. He had to stay the straight and narrow just to keep a low paying job back then with the Packers after the majority of the teams didn't want him.

Then last year when McKenzie left for New Orleans, I remember Grady saying he wishes McKenzie luck, but that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. He made some comments about how good it was in Green Bay compared to other places. So I thought Grady kind of learned his lesson from his experience of being cut by the Saints.

He's now older and has had more serious injuries with his knee since he wasn't highly wanted after the Saints let him go. And if he continues to show that angry mood, that bad reputation he had in New Orleans won't go away either.

I look at all of that, and I just don't see teams giving him a big raise even if he is cut or traded by the Packers. I think he would be picked up by some team, but with so many teams up against the cap and worried about his knee, I don't think he'd land a big contract now. And it wouldn't surprise me if the teams that were interested in him would try and get him for the vet minimum or close to it.

I thought Grady learned more from the first experience of being cut, but it looks like he is quickly forgetting it.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan-excellent posting and assessment of Grady Jackson. If his conduct continues into training camp, as becomes distraction. he will no longer be on the Green Bay Packer team, and the Packers will look to a young player on the roster to step up and fill his spot. This will just have to occur earlier than next year or later on in the season, when Jackson would probably miss some games because of injuries. Team unity is all important for the success of this Packer team in '05. let us hope that Grady is just posturing ,another way of trying to get more money after threat of holdout did not work. This will fail, Ted Thompson will not go for this tactic either!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Since he (Jackson) joined the team on Nov. 4, 2003, the Packers are 15-6, including playoffs, when he has played and 2-4 when he hasn't. "

Don't forget people, that it works both ways...we're not talking a fortune here that Grady is getting, and who do you replace him with? These guys don't grow on trees ya' know....put a younger go in there and maybe he'll be blown right back into the LB's...creating a sieve in the middle of the line...

There has to be some kind of performance compensation built into these nfl contracts...because where is the incentive..when a Sherman signed load like Hunt can sit on his fat *** and collect millions...when Grady...a real contributor...is makingn the minimum...

Don't be so high and mighty PAcker fans...your defense is not that good...and if a guy like Grady sits out...and the defense performs like last year...you will all whine like beyotches for Grady to be in there....look at the results..."15-6 with Grady....2-4 without.."

The Green Bay Packers are a business and a football team.....it is not like it is some holy priviledge to play in GB...

TT...do the right thing....

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson is just a selfish baby, and that fat man isn't worth anything to the packers. Hey I hope that the packers dont trade him or cut him, but then again who would be stupid enough to pick him up?!?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66- I agree that performance incentives make sense, in fact, I think Cletius Hunt has some (although I doubt he's been on the receiving end of many of them). I don't know how often it happens, or how it works w/ $ against the cap, though.

As for doing the right thing, the Packers are really walking on egg shells. Everyone knows he's a KEY contributor when healthy, but all the signs are pointing towards his performance falling off rapidly...he's huge, has had a number of knee problems, and he's not getting any younger. Grady will want a binding long-term deal with a lot of $. If the Packers "do the right thing" this could very easily turn into another Joe Johnson.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First: He cant compare himself to Sam Adams, Sam Adams is a real nice beer and he is just a greedy fat player.

Second: Pack 66 if Sherman made a stupid mistake giving a lot of $$$ to Porky Hunt I doesnt mean that we need to give a lot of $$$$ to anyone who asks for it, yes incentives look ok but players would better get a big signing bonus this is money in the bank incentives need to be make. If you made a mistake in the past the right way to fix it is never to make the same mistake again, and IMHO TT is doing so very well, TEAM FIRST AFTER ALL THIS STUPID GUYS HAVE GONE AWAY THE TEAM WILL STILL BE HERE AND IT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM TO ACT WITH CLASS AND WITH BALLS IN ORDER TO CONTROL THIS KIDS WITH SOME KIND OF BEHAVIOUR DISSORDER.

Third: Either TT stands and makes a point that players must honor their contracts or he gaves up to a couple of guys unfair and stupid demands and the opens Pandora`s box and let this cancer reach other players, IMHO I wouldn

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cut or trade me cut or trade me, I'm a piece of crap...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Play our your contract like a man. So sick of this crap.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well...if Sherman wasn't such a MORON as a GM and didn't go signing worthless players and giving them tons of $$$, thereby tying up cap space, then maybe there would have been some money to go around to pay some other players who are worth something.....like Grady and Walker....

...but i'm sure you won't say BOO about good ol' Shermy baby!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically, 66, by your logic TT should do stupid, precedent-setting contract alterations to make up for Sherman's stupid GM moves.

As two wrongs do not make a right...two stupids do not make it bright!

Damn, Johnnie Cochran would be proud of that one!! :lol:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, in hindsight, Sherman screwed up with Hunt, JJ, and in my opinion Harris too.

However, if you're going to go on another "Sherman screwed the Packers" tangent, then aren't you talking out of both sides of your mouth when you say TT "must do the right thing" and sign a player who is older, at least as injury prone, and at least as disgruntled as any of the other players Sherman signed - the same players you use to justify why Sherman failed miserably as a GM?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Since he (Jackson) joined the team on Nov. 4, 2003, the Packers are 15-6, including playoffs, when he has played and 2-4 when he hasn't. "

Well..i would agree with you in theory Musscy if it were true...but that's simply not true...Grady has been very productive for the Packers...and there's no reason to think that he won't be this year...

i don't buy that "old and inury prone" argument....i think it's a rationalization for undervaluing a player....(you were saying that about Levens a few years ago when he wanted more $$$..and he was averaging 5 yards per carry for the Eagles for the past few seasons)

...there are plenty of defensive linemen in the league in their 30's that play out the full season....and barring any misfortune...Grady should be one of them...

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, if Mr Jackson doesn't want to play...so be it!! go ahead and have some beers with Mr Hunt, he sure can pay for the drinks!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would seem to me that the Packers, in planning ahead for the next couple years, do not have any intention to retain Grady beyond this year. And because he took an advance on this year's salary, it cannot be altered.

I mean, c'mon....they're gonna extend the contract of a guy they have no intention of keeping just to make him a happy camper this year?!? I don't think so.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not arguing what he has done w/ the Packers, you can't argue the W:L stats. However,

Someone who is ~350 lbs, 32 yrs. old, missed 6 games last year, and was slowed in others by injury raises some big flags. It sounds an awful lot like Gilbert.

Could last year have just been an anomoly, and he'll be able to be effective for a few more years...certainly, but signs from last year don't really point in that direction. And, now he wants a long-term deal and a fairly large sign. bonus when his longevity and health are in question, and the Packers have some young guys waiting in the wings...it just doesn't make sense to give him a lot of money right now.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Don't forget people, that it works both ways...we're not talking a fortune here that Grady is getting, and who do you replace him with? These guys don't grow on trees ya' know....put a younger go in there and maybe he'll be blown right back into the LB's...creating a sieve in the middle of the line...

There has to be some kind of performance compensation built into these nfl contracts...because where is the incentive..when a Sherman signed load like Hunt can sit on his fat *** and collect millions...when Grady...a real contributor...is makingn the minimum...

Don't be so high and mighty PAcker fans...your defense is not that good...and if a guy like Grady sits out...and the defense performs like last year...you will all whine like beyotches for Grady to be in there....look at the results..."15-6 with Grady....2-4 without.."

The Green Bay Packers are a business and a football team.....it is not like it is some holy priviledge to play in GB...

TT...do the right thing....

It may not be a "holy" privilege to play in GB (although some may argue that), but it is a HUGE privilege to play for the Packers because it is a classy organization and it is getting kind of old listening to so-called Packer fans like you rant and rave all over Sherman. He's the Packers coach right now - deal with it! If you don't or can't, jump off the wagon and go cheer for the Vikings, I hear they accept all fickle fans! :p

The right thing to do is hold tight on Jackson. He's got a history of complaining wherever he goes and his reputation scared half the league away. GB gave him a chance to continue his career and he's done that. He asked GB for an advance of $65,000 and GB gave him that. The least he can do is come in, play his *** off for his final year, and then leave if he wants to. All the while, it would be even better if he'd shut his fat mouth while doing it.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Grady should be given a light raise, however he's going around about it the wrong way, big surprise another inpatient athlete. Packers are under a new GM and right away ppl want cash NOW NOW NOW or trade me.

Was there ever a time where players trusted their employers? If so I wish I was around for it, this is getting sickening.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
it is getting kind of old listening to so-called Packer fans like you rant and rave all over Sherman. He's the Packers coach right now - deal with it! If you don't or can't, jump off the wagon and go cheer for the Vikings, I hear they accept all fickle fans! :p

I'd wouldn't question Pack66's loyalty to the Pack, he just has a different view of the coaching staff and GM vs. players than the majority of the ppl on this board.

In spite of the fact that I tend to disagree with most of what Pack66 or steelwheels say, I'm glad to have them on this board. They generate good discussion rather than just having every post be...

Post A: I think the Packers and Brett Favre are great.
Post B: Yeah, I agree
Post C: Me too, Brett is swell.
Post D: Yeah, me three. That pass to Chatman sure was nifty
Post E: Yeah, I agree too...um, hmm, so, read any good books lately?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy, I am glad to have everyone on this board too. I'm just saying that now is that small moment of time in every year that any NFL fan can find optimism because the year is just beginning. Every team in the NFL has the same aspirations of greatness. Many will fall short and the Packers may be one of them; however, how can just about every single post some of these guys make turn around and accuse Sherman of ******** something up? The forum would be much better if we had one thread labeled "Sherman Bashing" and let the rest of it be made up of true Packer discussion.

You could add Post F: "Sherman sucks, fire his ***!" That's pretty much what some of these guys put in almost every post no matter what the subject. Is that what you want to see? I don't.

The problem I have is this: I'm not even a so-called "Sherman Supporter" either. He's made mistakes, and plenty of them. I do think he should be given some of the credit for the Packers having the success they've had too. It's funny how there are some references to having green and gold glasses on for some of us. What type of glasses are they when people can't post anything positive about the Packers on here? Purple and gold glasses perhaps???

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPF...I understand and agree w/ most of what you're saying. Do some ppl go a little overboard bashing some aspects of the Packers, maybe, but I'd rather have that and something to discuss than a non-stop pat on the back session.

As for the green and gold glasses...if we take Pack66 for example, he's pretty optimistic/supportive of a lot of the players, just not so much Mike Sherman. I'm sort of the same way...I'm not too fond of Favre, and quite honestly wouldn't mind going off on a rant about him right now, but I still have high hopes for the season, and am a big packer fan.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy -

OK, fair enough. I think a mix of both posting what's going right as well as acknowledging the problems within the organization are really what we both would want on this forum. I agree with you that just patting this team on the back all the time isn't the right thing to do b/c right now, the Packers have a lot of work to do. I also know that there are many teams in the NFL right now that would want to be in the Packers situation.

GO PACK!!!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing with Grady. He got signed by Green Bay and in some ways resurrected his career here. Until this contract stuff came up he loved it in Green Bay. He's throwing a fit like a little kid might if he doesn't get his way. The Packers aren't going to renogiate his contract hopefully, because he doens't play enough and is hurt too often. So Grady has only one choice, play, play well, play hard, and earn a more money based on your play. I feel badly that Grady does this stuff because I think he's genuinely a good guy who has been led down the wrong path by his agent. I can assure you that the first game will be played whether Grady is there or not. I can also assure you that Sherman is coaching for his contract as well and he's not going to going to play Grady if he's not working hard and producing.

Grady you're caught in a no win situation. The best thing you can do is shut up and play hard.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Here is the thing with Grady. He got signed by Green Bay and in some ways resurrected his career here. Until this contract stuff came up he loved it in Green Bay. He's throwing a fit like a little kid might if he doesn't get his way. The Packers aren't going to renogiate his contract hopefully, because he doens't play enough and is hurt too often. So Grady has only one choice, play, play well, play hard, and earn a more money based on your play. I feel badly that Grady does this stuff because I think he's genuinely a good guy who has been led down the wrong path by his agent. I can assure you that the first game will be played whether Grady is there or not. I can also assure you that Sherman is coaching for his contract as well and he's not going to going to play Grady if he's not working hard and producing.

Grady you're caught in a no win situation. The best thing you can do is shut up and play hard.

Good post packedhouse...I agree with everything until the second to last line. There is a "win" in this situation. Play your tail off, go off into free agency and make some serious money if someone is willing to pay you. Green Bay gets a quality defensive player for another year and Jackson ultimately gets what he wants...more money.

GO PACK!!!

Members online

Latest posts