SuperMario around at #5?

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is TT has some tough decisions. I like all the players mentioned. Our defence could use Williams, Hawk or Huff, but the TE Davis is very intriging (SP) He can even line up as a wideout and draw attention. I don't think they would go with a TE, but if they did I would be happy. TRADE WALKER FOR DENVER'S NO> 1 PICK!!! Just dreaming.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I can remember thinking that Mandarich & Reynolds would also flop in the pro's AND we over paid for a back -up QB from Atlanta when we had the Magic man Majkowski."

Well hey Daz, two out of three is not bad!

I don't watch a whole lot of college football, so for the most part I am happy to defer to others when we discuss potential draft picks. Hawk looked great in the games I saw him play, and I never saw Williams play. I was questioning you because I thought you might have some reasons you could give me for your "gut feeling" about Hawk.

I will be happy if Thompson drafts either one of these players, although neither one of them is guaranteed to be an impact player. My impression is that Williams has more potential to be a major destructive force on opposing offenses, while Hawk is less likely to have that kind of impact but more likely to at least be a very good player.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
" I don't watch a whole lot of college football, so for the most part I am happy to defer to others when we discuss potential draft picks. Hawk looked great in the games I saw him play, and I never saw Williams play. I was questioning you because I thought you might have some reasons you could give me for your "gut feeling" about Hawk.

I am like you mate, I dont get to see much either. There are people on this forum with far more knowledge than me.
I cant explain why, maybe its because the step up to the pro's is such a big one. Certain positions you can get by with physical ability whereas others you cant. Anyone who is super fast and can catch well could potentially make it as a WR providing they can learn a handful of patterns/routes. The playbook responsibilities for a DE are less than that of a LB. With the LB you only have such a short space of time to read the play & react. If we do draft Hawk I hope he become a legend at GB, if someone else gets him I want him to flop haha

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk is one of the top 3 LB's to ever play ball at Ohio State, and there have been some really great ones that have played there.

No player is ever a 100% sure thing, but the chances of Hawk becoming a star is a lot more then him becoming a bust.

Hawk started as a freshmen and only got better each year. He is an animal on the field, a team leader, just a pure football player.

Just an opinion from someone who watched him plays most every game the past four years.

There are other good LB's that will be available in the second or even third round, so even though I would be dissapointed if we pass on Hawk, if we pick up a Mario Williams or Vernon Davis, that would be ok.

Davis has really shot up the draft board lately, he could be one guy who could step in as the 2nd TE and make an impact, he would have to get use to catching those Favre bullets real quick!!!!

MM has said he wants to get back to a real WCO this year which means the 2 TE formation is a big part of the scheme.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What with the draft predictions changing like the Wisconsin weather - it'll be hard to gage what happens for the first three picks, as it is.

I'd like to see if D'Brickashaw is around; I'd take him right off.

But, from RedZone.org, I'm seeing other chatter, along with CBSsportsline Rumor Mill trying to match wits with PFT.com, or PFW.com, for that matter - this year's Draft could go haywire, straight away, and we'd end up seeing some guy at No.11 suddenly being drafted at No.2 - crazier things have happened before.

If I had my top two choices - I'd take Ferguson & Williams, on Defense.
(We all know that ain't gonna happen....)

For the time being, and with most of the top rated Defenders being grabbed in the First Round this year, it is mandatory that the Pack work to bring in some future people for Offense at Left Guard and Center, and then Right Guard (maybe... in that order. I won't b(i)tch too much if they grab Jay Cutler, either, but focusing on Line personnel is incredibly more important than looking at who would be out there throwing or catching the ball.

We all know giving the QB plenty of support & time to throw the ball on his third & fourth reads constitutes a QB being safe(r) as well as getting him the time he would need to learn the System along with his strengths versus weaknesses during 'live' play. Suffice it to say: "A QB with NO protection is a 'dead' QB." Whether that be a 3xMVP, or a Rookie, makes no difference.

The PackersNews article letting MM vent a bit about the media hype is a great read, and it speaks to the truth of the matter with regards to the Team versus whether Favre has impressions of this or that, during our Off season changes.

Quite a few of you are on the bandwagon of "TT's not doing anything to please Favre" -- I don't think it's TT's job to please] the Team's Star Quarterback - that's not what a GM's job definition reads as......

Like it or not - my position is that if Favre truly believes himself to be no better than anyone else on the Team - then he needs to step up and prove it. Sittin' around the Plantation, sipping mai-tai's and handing out ultimatums is for elite-ist snobs. Favre may be the best thing that's ever happened to the Packers for over 20 years - but he doesn't need to be out there rubbin' our nose in it with threats of one nature or another.

He "should have" spoken up already, at the very beginning of Free Agency, as to whether or not -- 1)he felt like coming back; or 2)wanted to become a UFA, so as to gain a chance on another Team who might very well go all the way in the 2006 Season; or 3)keep his word of never playing for any other team, than the Packers, and just plain sit down and retire -- letting one truly bad year "chase Brett Favre outta of NFL Pro Football" - which is what his legacy will be, 3xMVP or not. The Story will be great, but the ending will truly suck and it will mar more than just his Biography, with regards to Green Bay.

It's time for Brett to step up and be counted - he's dangled the carrot out there more than long enough - I know of NO OTHER PLAYER in the NFL who has ever been given so much leeway as what even the Mainstream Sports Media has done with regards to Favre, right along with the Packers Org. They are both to blame with this rot not being settled a long long time ago.

That's the real truth of it - compare his situation to that of Joe Montana.
And, who's got more SB rings than whom? So, therefore, who deserves what more than who? Brett needs to step up and show he deserves to be thought of, in the end, as more than just another Joe Namath, with one Ring, and one Ring only.....

Trust me, I luv the guy - I have a whole wall in my Shrine, dedicated to the guy --- but this nonsense, especially of him going to the four-letter network (first) all the time to let his thoughts and position be known.. is just plain ridiculous. If he really respected Green Bay - he'd take time to stand at the podium with MM & TT before he speaks up on these issues - meaning "keep it in-house" ... like a real Pro. It ain't like he can't afford the cost of an airline ticket.

Imagine just how Vince Lombardi would have responded to Bart Starr, pending Bart ever tried to handle his position with the Team in such a manner - he most likely would have traded him and then waited til the day before the game, to let him know he no longer played there. Seriously! Lombardi would have never stood for it - neither should the Staff, now!

He's startin' to act like a child.... a spoiled child at that.
Ask yourself - when was the last time you got lucky enough to get Favre's autograph, without having to "pay" for it. I'm talking right outside the gate where the Players all walk in to work, day in & day out. He's practically the only one who won't sign anyone's card - he's gotten snobbish in his protected environment. It's gettin' to be that he's no longer 'one of us'.... and it smells bad, period!

JMHO! (And no, you cannot change my mind for me, so don't bother tryin')

Remember - it's still a FREE COUNTRY, and this ain't Feingold's election time slot.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB: If we draft Ferguson, what should we do with Clifton? He still has a few years left on his contract, I think, and there is a lot of money tied up in him. Do you think Thompson should pay Ferguson a #5 draft pick paycheck so he can sit the bench, or should he have Clifton sit the bench? And cutting Clifton at any point within the next couple years will probably create havoc with the salary cap.

That's why I think Thompson should trade down if Ferguson is the best player on the board at #5.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I should have kept rambling on.....

I've seen several reports that Ferguson can also play Guard, pretty well, too!
That was my focus of mentioning him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I guess I should have kept rambling on.....

I've seen several reports that Ferguson can also play Guard, pretty well, too!
That was my focus of mentioning him.

Man....

I hear ferguson can play only LT

then he can play guard too!

Then he can play only one the left side

then he can play guard too!

IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ferguson can play guard? That IS interesting, although it seems like a longshot. I wonder if a guard has ever been taken that high in the draft.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think i read somewhere that he played a little cornerback in high school. but i think they also said he would be better suited for a safety position :lol: :roll:

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
i think i read somewhere that he played a little cornerback in high school. but i think they also said he would be better suited for a safety position :lol: :roll:
Naw, he was an All-American striker in highschool, played in Brazil. He didn't play football until after he got his Ph.D.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
Packnic said:
Naw, he was an All-American striker in highschool, played in Brazil. He didn't play football until after he got his Ph.D.

He got a PhD....? :shock:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
HIGH SCHOOL: Outstanding two-way lineman for coach Russ Cellan at Freeport High School ... SuperPrep All-American ... PrepStar All-American ... rated by SuperPrep as the top offensive lineman in New York and the state's #2 player behind fellow UVa newcomer Kwakou Robinson ... #26 guard in nation by Rivals.com ... #30 offensive lineman in the nation by SuperPrep ... ranked as the fifth-best offensive lineman in the East region by PrepStar ... Prep Football Report's #35 player in the East region ... received the Thorp Award as Nassau County's top player ... is the first lineman to win the award since 1979 ... Newsday All-State honoree ... recorded 55 tackles, six sacks, and eight quarterback hurries as a defensive end his senior year ... three-year starter.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
1.Reggie
2.jets-leinhart
3. jay cutler
4. NO-mario willams
5.Aj hawk

so far this looks right.... id say tennessee is definetly gonna go with Vince Young instead of cutler though (horrible move) especially after they kicked Air McNair out of practice.(even more horrible move)

if the draft has no trades in the top 5 that is what it will look like, (big IF) we wont get mario unless NO goes for ferguson.... but they will definetly not take hawk because they need LINE help on both sides of the ball... ill take Hawk, Vernon Davis, or Ferguson and be happy.... Mario would be great, but unlikely. all those guys either fill a big need(hawk, mario) or solidify a current shaky area.(Fergie, davis)

(there are a lot of parenthesis in this post)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
IPB: If we draft Ferguson, what should we do with Clifton? He still has a few years left on his contract, I think, and there is a lot of money tied up in him. Do you think Thompson should pay Ferguson a #5 draft pick paycheck so he can sit the bench, or should he have Clifton sit the bench? And cutting Clifton at any point within the next couple years will probably create havoc with the salary cap.

That's why I think Thompson should trade down if Ferguson is the best player on the board at #5.[/quote

Good Post.. Green Bay won't take D'Brick... They can get similar value on the board at pick #5 and fill the need a the sametime..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
gopackgo4 said:
1.Reggie
2.jets-leinhart
3. jay cutler
4. NO-mario willams
5.Aj hawk

so far this looks right.... id say tennessee is definetly gonna go with Vince Young instead of cutler though (horrible move) especially after they kicked Air McNair out of practice.(even more horrible move)

if the draft has no trades in the top 5 that is what it will look like, (big IF) we wont get mario unless NO goes for ferguson.... but they will definetly not take hawk because they need LINE help on both sides of the ball... ill take Hawk, Vernon Davis, or Ferguson and be happy.... Mario would be great, but unlikely. all those guys either fill a big need(hawk, mario) or solidify a current shaky area.(Fergie, davis)

(there are a lot of parenthesis in this post)

i agree with most of that, but you think TE is a shaky spot for us? i think it's pretty solid.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Greg C. said:

That's why I think Thompson should trade down if Ferguson is the best player on the board at #5.[/quote

Good Post.. Green Bay won't take D'Brick... They can get similar value on the board at pick #5 and fill the need a the sametime..

If D'Brick is available, I think you put him at RT amd move Tauscher to guard. Ferguson is the best OT to come out of college in several years. You don't get a chance to draft guys like this very often. Tauscher is a smart, heady player who would solidify the interior line. I thought they should have done it last year when it became evident that Klemm and Whitticker werew struggling.

Having said that, the latest mock draft at Sporting News has the Packers getting Mario. It could still happen if New Orleans doesn't take him.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every scouting report I read on D'Brick states he's only a LT... So maybe draft D'Brick start him at LT and if Clifton can move to RT do that and move Tausher to RG

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah that came out wrong bozz,

TE is very solid... that being said i still wouldnt mind vernon davis.... the kid is sick.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Every scouting report I read on D'Brick states he's only a LT... So maybe draft D'Brick start him at LT and if Clifton can move to RT do that and move Tausher to RG

i think that would be a good move, if clifton can hangle being on the move. he's big, like 6'6", 330 lbs. LT means protecting the QB's blind side, mostly pedaling backwards and requiring excellent hand and foot coordination for fending off no. 1 pass rushers. moving to RT would mean moving from this role to being the primary role as containing the outside and moving the pile forward for a strong side running game.

i think clifton's a good player, but for his size i don't know how well this would fit in with the new zone blocking scheme. granted the zone scheme means that players are responsible for areas, not individuals, during pass blocking, but i think he could handle this fine... it's the run blocking that i'm not sold on. i am not convinced he could handle being the primary contain on the outside of the run. he would be required to seal off outside opposition, and his size might make it difficult for him to keep the group intact, which is vital for zone run-blocking.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know we really cant lose. But I dont really want ferguson. One because I think AJ or Mario would be a better help.Two look at the last OL we took real high.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading about guard that was projected somewhat high that was in a zone blocking scheme in college. Spencer or something like that maybe? I think something like that would be ideal, because we'd know they would fit into the scheme and be fairly good. Not until the 2nd or third round at earliest though, AJ Mario or even Vernon would be best for the 5th overall.

Members online

Latest posts