SuperMario around at #5?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will be gone before #5. Of course i'm just guessing........but i think he will be gone.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I think he will be gone before #5. Of course i'm just guessing........but i think he will be gone.

I think you are right Cheesey, he will be gone which would be a shame. I would take him first .
If that is the case then I wouldnt mind trading down a few picks and getting the TE Davis. He looks a great player, look at the impact Gates has made at SD. I would prefer him to AJ Hawk, and while I dont get the chance that you folks over the pond do to see college games , I cant help but think of "Bosworth" when I see him

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk or Mario

the defense gets an upgrade, and theres not that awkward move of cutting KGB or trading him if we get Mario.

"Hey KGB...yeaaaah....im gonna need you to not come in Sunday.......yeeeah."

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daz666 said:
cheesey said:

I think you are right Cheesey, he will be gone which would be a shame. I would take him first .
If that is the case then I wouldnt mind trading down a few picks and getting the TE Davis. He looks a great player, look at the impact Gates has made at SD. I would prefer him to AJ Hawk, and while I dont get the chance that you folks over the pond do to see college games , I cant help but think of "Bosworth" when I see him

Hawk is NO bosworth! he's urlacher, all the way. all he does is work hard and kick ***. none of the theatricals that Boz brought with him. WOW! bosworth. jeez.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting article. But that #4 pick for the Jets (Winston Justice, OT) sounds strange to me. I hadn't heard of this guy anywhere near the top five up till now. The writer also lost some credibility when he said that "opposing QB's put up ridiculous ratings against the Pack" last year. That's not true. Statistically, the Packers defended the pass pretty well.

Daz666: Do you really think the Packers should draft a tight end in the first round a year after signing Bubba Franks to a multi-year, multimillion dollar contract? Well, maybe you do, but I don't think Thompson (or any other GM, for that matter) would tie up that much money in the tight end position.

Another question: Why does A.J. Hawk remind you of Brian Bosworth? Both were very good college players. I don't see any other similarities. Maybe I'm missing something.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The top four players in this draft are Bush, D'Brick, Leinert, and Mario. The only one I wouldn't draft is Leinert. If any of the other three drop, we have to take him and thank God for blessing us.

At five there is quite a dilemma because this is where position of need comes into play. I understand those of you who covet Hawk, and in any other year I would be right there with you. This draft is loaded with linebacker talent and we can get a solid starter in the second round. But I also will be very happy if the Packer do choose him.

I really think we should take Vernon Davis to put the fear of God into opposing linebackers and safeties. Bubba has been a decent tight end for us, but I don't think he scares anyone between the 20's. I think Vernon is an extraordinary talent both pass catching and blocking. He is as much a physical freak as Mario as his scores at the combine would indicate.

To answer the thread title, no, Mario should not be there unless some team trades up to get a quarterback at #4. That scenario seems less likely the closer we get to the draft.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dakota T: Just for the record, I don't think Bubba scares anyone between the 20's either. That's why I didn't like to see him signed to such a big, long-term contract. I have not seen Vernon Davis play, but maybe he would be worth a first-round pick if he could be used creatively, to create matchup problems for opposing defenses, the way that Jeremy Shockey does. But it seems doubtful to me.

Another guy I don't want the Packers to take is Ferguson, for the same reason I don't want them to take Vernon Davis. With Chad Clifton's contract, we already have a whole pile of money committed to the left tackle position for the next few years. If Thompson ends up with Davis or Ferguson as the best player on the board at #5, he should look to trade down.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like donald lee. Donald Lee scares me everywhere. I think hes a darn fine TE, who could have a GREAT year.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Trom, Lee did make some great catches last year.

Discussing Ferguson is moot, because he will not be there. You're point is well taken Greg.

I think we are going to be moving down in the draft to either Oakland or Arizona. I think both those teams want Vince Young. This whole Favre charade is a poker game to get those teams thinking we need a quarterback.

Realistically the only position the Packers don't need to address in the draft is OT and probably safety.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Williams falls to five, and I too would be delirious, but not a very likely scenario. The odds against that happening would have to be around 50 - 1
Still think Hawk would be a very positive addition to GB's defense, but I am willing to take anyone of the top nine players on the draft list. That's the list with Young at ten.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Hawk is NO bosworth! he's urlacher, all the way. all he does is work hard and kick ***. none of the theatricals that Boz brought with him. WOW! bosworth. jeez.

Hey calm down mate. :noflame:
I DID state that I dont get to see very many college games this side of the pond and as such I am in no position to have a truly informed view. :roll:
Its just my gut feeling. An opinion.
Wasnt Bosworth rated as one of the best ever linebackers coming out of college, brash & arrogant but still a real talent. Didnt he win the Butkus award TWICE.

If we do end up drafting Hawk I hope you are right and I am wrong but until then you have your opinion and I will have mine. We can chat again in a years time :bye:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daz: I haven't heard anything about Hawk being arrogant. Brash maybe, but not arrogant. From what I've heard he seems to have his head on straight, and he is not a showboat like Bosworth. He doesn't have a weird haircut or anything.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:D gopack4. Like your draft scenario. Sounds about right unless some agitation from down the list trading for a higher pick occurs. keepin' my fingers crossed. Hawk is the real thing and certainly no headcase.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints also need a LB the draft could possibly go like this

1.) Texans- Reggie Bush
2.) Saints- AJ Hawk
3.) Titans- Matt Leinart
4.) Jets- D'Brickshaw Ferguson
5.) Packers- Mario Williams

I really dont know what is going to happen guess we see what happens at the draft but AJ Hawk or Mario Williams would be nice.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
The Saints also need a LB the draft could possibly go like this

1.) Texans- Reggie Bush
2.) Saints- AJ Hawk
3.) Titans- Matt Leinart
4.) Jets- D'Brickshaw Ferguson
5.) Packers- Mario Williams

I really dont know what is going to happen guess we see what happens at the draft but AJ Hawk or Mario Williams would be nice.

Hawk isn't worth a top 3 pick where as Mario Williams is.

I sure hope the Pack get Mario though but I doubt it.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Daz: I haven't heard anything about Hawk being arrogant. Brash maybe, but not arrogant. From what I've heard he seems to have his head on straight, and he is not a showboat like Bosworth. He doesn't have a weird haircut or anything.

Hi Greg. I meant that Bosworth was brash and arrogant, not Hawk.
The point I was trying to make was based on how highly rated they both were coming out of college.

All the best

Daz

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we draft hawk, and he burns out like Bos, i promise i will get a bos hair cut and post pics on the site. tell TT, maybe this would entice him to draft hawk and not williams.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the all-knowing Kiper, Mario is the next julius peppers (is that a good thing?!?) and will go #2

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daz666: I guess I misunderstood you. You mentioned that Bosworth was brash and arrogant, so I thought you were implying that Hawk is like that too. If that's not what you meant, then I guess you are just saying that we shouldn't draft any linebacker who was good in college, since Bosworth was a good linebacker in college and went nowhere in the pros. I don't follow that logic. You could say the same thing about any position.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers should draft Mario Williams at 5 if he is still available. He is both blessed with exceptional athletic ability for a DE and apparently is a skilled player who is motivated. His favorite ex NFL player is Reggie White and right now his unique size and speed compares to the rare talent of Reggie White. A player the Packers needed to win the Super Bowl.
Another rare talent is this tightend from Maryland Vernon Davis. He is a great blocker with exceptional speed. The NFL scouts are crazy about his exceptional speed and strength. This man plays TE, but he could play almost any position in the NFL.
I am for the Packers drafting an exceptional player at # 5 and giving him a contract that will get him at training camp early. If Super Mario is gone before the Packers 1st round pick, I think the Packers should draft V. Davis the Super Tightend. This might entice Favre to play one more exceptional year.
I would strongly consider trading the disgruntled Javon Walker for a low 1st round pick (Denver Broncos rumor) or a high 2nd round pick. I believe Javon Walker still has top skills, but all of that negativity could damage a 1st year coaches season.

Daz666

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Daz666: I guess I misunderstood you. You mentioned that Bosworth was brash and arrogant, so I thought you were implying that Hawk is like that too. If that's not what you meant, then I guess you are just saying that we shouldn't draft any linebacker who was good in college, since Bosworth was a good linebacker in college and went nowhere in the pros. I don't follow that logic. You could say the same thing about any position.

Like everything in life Greg, we all have a personal opion. We will agree on some and disagree on others. As you stated there wouldnt be any logic not to draft any good player coming out of college. The point I was attempting to make was that I, ME , Myself personally have a gut feeling that Hawk will not have the impact in the pro's that someone like Williams would. This time next year we will talk again when we know how each has performed (or not).
At the end of the day, what do I know, If I was that good at predicting who would be a hit and who would flop then I would be scouting in the NFL, and not typing this reply. I can remember thinking that Mandarich & Reynolds would also flop in the pro's AND we over paid for a back -up QB from Atlanta :roll: when we had the Magic man Majkowski.

Members online