Superbowling

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently KC got its shot at a Superbowl only catch is they have to cover the stadium. I often find it questionable that thier is some strange need to have Superbowls in warm areas of the country. I think that the NFL should build a stadium say in Canton that would become Suberbowl Central because it would always be a neutral site.

Any thoughts?

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. Or, they could have the pro-bowl game in the middle of the year and have the winning conference play at their team's stadium. ;)

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
That's not a bad idea. Or, they could have the pro-bowl game in the middle of the year and have the winning conference play at their team's stadium. ;)

The risk for injury would be too great. Also, the Super Bowl is so big that it takes cities years to prepare.

If they built a stadium in Canton it couldn't cost too much because it's used once a year. That means it would be plain and boring.

Besides, I like having it the way it is. It always makes me wonder if some year some team will have homefiled advantage in the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is it is like the Olympics when it comes to Choosing a Superbowl City and why does it have to be in warm climates I mean they have the Pro Bowl in Hawaii so they have one game They could also do a lottery for the cities to make it equitable. Since there is so much money in it I think every NFL city should at least have a chance.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
My point is it is like the Olympics when it comes to Choosing a Superbowl City and why does it have to be in warm climates I mean they have the Pro Bowl in Hawaii so they have one game They could also do a lottery for the cities to make it equitable. Since there is so much money in it I think every NFL city should at least have a chance.

They have to take into account what the surrounding area offers for the visitors, most of whom are not hardcore football fans ( OK, broad brush there ). Lot's of corporados and celebs have to have their behinds wiped for this large of an event. Green Bay would probably never do unless everyone that got a ticket was a real football fan. The SB is an event more than a football game. Before anyone piles on, please note that I am a rural guy, still live in the country, and prefer small cities to large cities. I would relish the opportunity to go to a game at Lambeau anytime. Not all SB attendees would not welcome the same opportunity. The only reason Detroit gets one, is because it is a large city and they're set up for it. That said, I think it would be outstanding if the game was ever played at Lambeau.
Hammer

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living up in here in Winnipeg , Canada, I can tell you for what it's worth that we have never had to worry about Grey Cup's outside in Cold weather. If my memory serves correct, we have sold out in minus 20 with the snow. Just as you have for your home games. ( for what it's worth ).

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Pleasure JB,

I was wrong about the coldest temps for the grey cups however, according to this 2001 piece on Flutie when he was up here, it gets a lot colder ( Gee I need a trip somewhere warm ). Anyways, here is a piece from the article and Cheers.

No, they don't know the half of it. They don't know the bitter-cold temperatures Flutie used to see in Canada, when he was regularly winning Grey Cups in the CFL. "My coldest game up there? It was minus-24 at kickoff, minus-44 by the end of the game, minus-85 wind chill. With six inches of snow, and 35-mile-an-hour winds.

"I had 200 yards passing at halftime. But in the second half, the heaters broke. Well, they didn't actually break. They turned the heaters off at halftime, because they took an extended halftime to plow the field, and the propane thickened up, and wouldn't go through the heaters, so they shut down. And we were a passing team ... By the end of the game, people couldn't run."

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
No, they don't know the half of it. They don't know the bitter-cold temperatures Flutie used to see in Canada, when he was regularly winning Grey Cups in the CFL. "My coldest game up there? It was minus-24 at kickoff, minus-44 by the end of the game, minus-85 wind chill. With six inches of snow, and 35-mile-an-hour winds.

How could they physically even play? Those people would all have frostbite.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Super Bowl will never be played in Green Bay even Lambeau Field would be domed. Green Bay facilities( Hotels, etc ) could not handle the many, many people coming into Green Bay from all parts of the world if a Super Bowl was scheduled for Green Bay. Most people going to Super Bowl are not Packer fans who for the most part live with in driving distance of GB. The hotel space within driving distance of Green Bay is scarce enough just for a Packer game. Plus the Packers have no plans to dome Lambeau Field. The citizens of Green Bay would not go for financing another 150M or so of taxpayers money to dome Lambeau Field after spending 295M to completely renovate lambeau Field four years ago.This is only a city of 220,000. Canton, OH would not be a position to host a Super Bowl for same reasons Green Bay could not. Canton hasn't a much of a football stadium as it is. it seats 20,000 or so. The owners of NFL franchise would never finance a domed 400M stadium to have just a Super Bowl played there once a year. That would be financially unfeasible. The system they are using right now works just fine. The coldest game at Lambeau Field was Ice Bowl (NFL Championship game) on December 31, 1967 which the Packers beat the Cowboys. Temperature was -17 with a wind chill factor of -48. It was not very nice conditions to play in or watch a football game. I was there. All fans were happy when Bart Starr QB sneaked for a TD, in stead of kicking a FG which would have forced the game into overtime. Nobody wanted to spend any additional time outside in those conditions. Lombardi made a lot of friends when he decided call a QB sneak and Lombardi said "get the Hell out of here"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts