Superbowl is winnable.

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Eagles can go into Gillette on a Sunday night without their starting QB and almost pull the upset of the year, think of what the Packers can do with Favre on a neutral field, on a warm Arizona evening. The season just got that much better.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If the Eagles can go into Gillette on a Sunday night without their starting QB and almost pull the upset of the year, think of what the Packers can do with Favre on a neutral field, on a warm Arizona evening. The season just got that much better.

Sometimes the starting QB isn't the best answer.

Reaction score
The Eagles made it a key point to pressure Brady.

They used the blitz very effectively, and they weren't afraid to send more than one blitzer.

I hope the Packers saw this match, and are more willing to send DBs on a blitz. Bigby blitzing was successful in the pre-season, and our DBs (Collins, C-Wood, Bush) have speed to get to the QB quickly.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles were very effective when throwing short passes in the middle of the field.

Hmmm...who do we know who is great at that?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I liked best about the Eagles' game plan was how they constantly jammed Randy Moss and kept him out of his routes. The Packer CB's jam receivers better than anyone. Al Harris learned the technique during his time in Philadelphia.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg and DGB454 just stole my thunder and hit the nail on the head w/ their points about jamming the wrs, and passing in the middle. W/ the speed of driver and jennings, their ancient lbs wouldn't stand a chance!

But one thing the pats are good at is adjusting...and I think them not running the ball was a big mistake last night because it afforded the eagles the opportunity to be blitz happy. If belichek mixes it up a little more, maybe they don't blitz as much, thus not pressuring brady as much.

Plus, they seemed to start to discover (again) how effective welker can be, so tramon williams or hawk would have their work cut out for them even if woodson and harris were jamming and covering randy and stallworth like a glove

Rios39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we can cover over the middle better which is where Welkers kills you then we can take them. Similar to the cowboys woodson and harris can cover the top tier receivers. I think Collins is a very good cover Safety he doesn't give up big plays. Rouse seems to be better play maker but we are giving up more big plays in that area.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
What I liked best about the Eagles' game plan was how they constantly jammed Randy Moss and kept him out of his routes. The Packer CB's jam receivers better than anyone. Al Harris learned the technique during his time in Philadelphia.

It helped that they got a couple of big hits on Moss early and trust me.. Randy's head was on a swivel the rest of the game.. on one pass down the sidelines Moss had is hands on the ball but was waiting for the hit to come and dropped it. That is a key to stopping the Pats.. pressure and be physical with them.. When little Welker is the toughest wideout on the field.. it bodes well for the rest of the league.

On defense, the Pats were exposed for the what they are... smart players but a little slow in the feet. They struggled keeping up all night long.. they played outside.. the Eagles came in.. the played inside at CB the Eagles went outside.. the Safeties and LBers in coverage are a weakness that can be exposed.. as mentioned above.. if you spread this team out and force them to cover... they can be had.

I am liking the Steeler to end the prefect season more and more.. plus it might not be such a cakewalk through the Playoffs for the Pats.. if Indy can get healthy...watch out for an upset. Jags are a sleeper team as well..

All in all.. take care of the business at hand first.. then worry about the AFC later... hopefully much later this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heh. That game reminded me of Rocky IV when Rocky first cut Ivan Drago. "He's cut! He's cut!"

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
The Eagles made it a key point to pressure Brady.

They used the blitz very effectively, and they weren't afraid to send more than one blitzer.

I hope the Packers saw this match, and are more willing to send DBs on a blitz. Bigby blitzing was successful in the pre-season, and our DBs (Collins, C-Wood, Bush) have speed to get to the QB quickly.

Oh, believe me. MM will be studying this film.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favrefourevre said:

Sometimes the starting QB isn't the best answer.

I agree, Z2C. If we make the SB this year, we should throw a huge wrench in the Patriots gameplan (assuming they represent the AFC) by starting Rodgers instead of Favre!!! Wait, nevermind....

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to post the same thing. We can beat the Pats. I didn't think it was really possible. I mean we all know what Jimmy Johnson said is right, but who can do it?

the key is bumping the receivers, especially Welker. Moss is not the issue, it's welker. Knock that short white guy on his butt a few times and put him where he needs to be and all of a sudden, Brady is average.

we've got the corners and the pass rush to do this.

Furthermore the Pats can't cover our 4 and 5 wide receiver sets. I say that the Superbowl is ours.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to post the same thing. We can beat the Pats. I didn't think it was really possible. I mean we all know what Jimmy Johnson said is right, but who can do it?

the key is bumping the receivers, especially Welker. Moss is not the issue, it's welker. Knock that short white guy on his butt a few times and put him where he needs to be and all of a sudden, Brady is average.

we've got the corners and the pass rush to do this.

Furthermore the Pats can't cover our 4 and 5 wide receiver sets. I say that the Superbowl is ours.

Moss and Welker are issues. But both can be bumped, and that would really throw Brady off. However, we still have Stallworth to worry about.

I think the funny thing about this game is both they and we have the same concerns. They're probably thinking they can cover so and so, but what about that other guy?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Moss and Welker are issues. But both can be bumped, and that would really throw Brady off. However, we still have Stallworth to worry about.

I think the funny thing about this game is both they and we have the same concerns. They're probably thinking they can cover so and so, but what about that other guy?

Stallworth is a poor route runner, IMO.. he has YAC skills and speed, but he doesn't run very good routes.. rounds off the corners and just doesn't seem to have the knack to sit down and find a hole in the zone. Watch how they get him the ball.. very simple routes and let him take it from there.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that the Eagles pressed Moss, but not Welker. Welker was running free. Even Bush could press him, me thinks. He's small, and disctractable from his routes.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, we know that Korey Hall likes playing in Arizona! I am sure he wouldnt mind getting back on that field

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying bush could cover welker, but he could press him. If he had Over the top safety help, then we're set.

I'd put DirtyOne on Moss, Wood on Stallworth. That leaves Bush for Welker. To my point, I say do it with the press coverage. I don't think Welker can deal with it.

rkoRKOrko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these are the keys to beating the Patriots:

Offensively:
1. You can use one of two methods - you can either try to slow the pace down by running the ball a lot and trying to sustain long drives. It is easier to keep up with the Pats offense when they only have 6 or 7 drives instead of 10 or 11. Otherwise, I feel going into a no huddle type offense would also be effective, as they like to change their defensive personnel, and like using multiple players in different ways (i.e., Adalius Thomas).
2. Short slants and posts would be very effective, as shown by the Eagles.
3. Going into a 4 or 5 receiver set would also be effective, especially for the Packers, as they wouldn't be able to cover all of our WRs.

Defensively:
1. Blitzing is important, but it has to be effective. If you are bringing the blitz but the RB or linemen are able to pick it up, it just gives Brady time to find someone wide open downfield.
2. Bump Moss and Welker as much as you can. Even if you get a penalty in the beginning of the game for being too rough on Moss, it may be worth it in the span of the game, as it would get into Moss' head.
3. Blitzing may not be as important for the Packers, especially since their line is very effective in getting to the QB.
4. I wouldn't be too worried about Stallworth as he is a pretty poor route runner, and from what I've seen over the course of his NFL career, drops the ball a fairly decent amount. I would be more focused on Welker.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think these are the keys to beating the Patriots:

Offensively:
1. You can use one of two methods - you can either try to slow the pace down by running the ball a lot and trying to sustain long drives. It is easier to keep up with the Pats offense when they only have 6 or 7 drives instead of 10 or 11. Otherwise, I feel going into a no huddle type offense would also be effective, as they like to change their defensive personnel, and like using multiple players in different ways (i.e., Adalius Thomas).
2. Short slants and posts would be very effective, as shown by the Eagles.
3. Going into a 4 or 5 receiver set would also be effective, especially for the Packers, as they wouldn't be able to cover all of our WRs.

Defensively:
1. Blitzing is important, but it has to be effective. If you are bringing the blitz but the RB or linemen are able to pick it up, it just gives Brady time to find someone wide open downfield.
2. Bump Moss and Welker as much as you can. Even if you get a penalty in the beginning of the game for being too rough on Moss, it may be worth it in the span of the game, as it would get into Moss' head.
3. Blitzing may not be as important for the Packers, especially since their line is very effective in getting to the QB.
4. I wouldn't be too worried about Stallworth as he is a pretty poor route runner, and from what I've seen over the course of his NFL career, drops the ball a fairly decent amount. I would be more focused on Welker.

agree for the most part.
1. grinding it out and effective blitzing are predicated upon not getting too far behind in the game.
2. bumping Moss may be effective, but i don't think it will "take him out of the game" like it does to TO. I believe Moss to be a very mentally tough player, not likely to get rattled. he may get pissed off or fed up, but if he thinks the game is winnable, he plays hard, period.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Didnt know the teams were all ready determined who will play in the SB

got to search the news for it

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like thinking about the Packers in the SB too.......but man, there are ALOT of games between now and that possibility. If we don't take care of week to week business, we won't have to worry about the Pats.
Week by week.......thats how we need to think of it. Dallas first, then the Raiders, and so on. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Members online

Latest posts