Superbowl 2

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've just finished watching the Super bowl 2 winning season on Sky Sports here in Little old Wales. As you can imagine up until the last few years, NFL coverage wasn't huge. It's now on 24/7 and it's a joy to be able to watch historical matches as well as every NFL game live on TV and Gamepass.

Watching the run into that winning season has just made me hungry to learn more about the Packers history and the Sport all together. Lombardi, Starr, Kramer, Robinson are names that probably hold so much for you natives. Can anybody recommend any good Documentaries, Biographies or Historical books I could get into?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Amazon have the book "History of the Green Bay Packers" which is a fantastic book with enough information to get you started.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Packers centric must read books:

When Pride Still Mattered - David Marniss & Instant Replay - **** Schaap and Jerry Kramer

That First Season by Eisenberg was quite OK too.

Some other football (but not Packers themed books) that I liked are

Paper Lion by George Plimpton is a funny read about a author training with the Lions.
Dixieland Delight by Clay Travis is a fun read about the college atmosphere (stadiums, tailgating etc) in SEC

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The Ultimate Super Bowl Book" by Bob McGinn was pretty good. It focuses mostly on interviews with a lot of the coaches, players, and the stories from each Super Bowl instead of just telling you about how each game went.

There are quite a few documentaries that I've watched and recorded over time. One DVD that I bought about the Ice Bowl is especially good. It's got the entire game from start to finish.

H

HardRightEdge

For the Lombardi years I would recommend the following:

You can geek out on this video.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You'll see that the Power Sweep is not just a play but the fulcrum of a system, with a variety of plays run out of a single set. You'll see the demands he places on the linemen and lead blocker to read the defensive formation and react post snap in determining their blocking assignments in concert with each other. The principles of zone blocking are laid out here. This is genius football. We tend to forget there were no helmet speakers in those days; Starr was managing the process on the field, calling the plays.

Less geeky, I agree with XPack in highly recommending the following books:

When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss, a comprehesive biography of Lombardi.

You get the full picture of the Lombardi principles of professionalism, discipline and dedication to a craft, quaint and often sorely lacking notions today. Lombardi was both a paradoxical and a master psychologist, if that makes any sense, and you get the full flavor of that in this book.

Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer, a diary of a season by a Hall of Fame lineman with a look inside the locker room which was controversial at the time.

I can't recall how much these books touch on the subject of integration and tolerance, but Lombardi was at the forefront. There were black players before Lombardi, but I don't know if anyone before was as outspoken in their defense. Consider the case of Lionell Aldridge:

"Aldridge, also a black man, wanted to marry a white woman. There was another player, Cookie Gilchrist, who was said to have been blackballed from the league for marrying a white woman. Aldridge went to Lombardi and said, "Coach, I don't not want to play football, but I want to marry this woman." Lombardi responded, "You marry her. You're a good man. And I'll handle Pete Rozelle and the NFL. Don't you worry about it." Aldridge just started crying. Then Lombardi said, "And I'd better get an invitation to that wedding, or you'll regret it the rest of your life."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...i-of-broadway-dan-lauria-reflects-on-nfl-icon

Marv Fleming, a Packer tight end, was the first NFL player to wear an earring. He was a softspoken guy so rumors circulated that he was gay. While Fleming says the rumors were false, it was a time where that would have gotten him bounced out of most locker rooms but not Lombardi's.

Going back to the first golden age of Packer football, I see there's a biography of Curly Lambeau:

I haven't read it. If you do you can tell me if its any good. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We tend to forget there were no helmet speakers in those days; Starr was managing the process on the field, calling the plays.
I recall reading that in the very early days of football, the coach was not able to make the play calls. An official would join the huddle to verify the QB was calling the plays and not the coach via a substitute player.

H

HardRightEdge

I recall reading that in the very early days of football, the coach was not able to make the play calls. An official would join the huddle to verify the QB was calling the plays and not the coach via a substitute player.
I was not aware of that so I looked it up:

http://fieldsoffriendlystrife.com/2...came-football-why-qbs-used-to-call-the-plays/

According to this piece, from 1892 to 1967 coaching from the sidelines was all but banned in college football.

I don't think these rules applied in the NFL during the Lombardi years, but I could be wrong. I seem to recall a team using rotating guards to bring in plays around this time, the Redskins stick in my mind by that could be wrong too. In any case, Lombardi might have sent in a play from time to time, but it was not the normal mode of operation.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't recall how much these books books touch on the subject of integration and tolerance, but Lombardi was at the forefront.

He was a pioneer in more ways than one.

An incident goes where Lombardi took his team to a restaurant which mandated that black players need to enter and exit through back door. Lombardi made the entire team enter and exit through the back door.

There was another incident when Tim Brown was invited by a white girl for dinner with her parents. Several white players reported this to Lombardi. And the next day, Lombardi called the team to gather at the field and made it clear that words like "n*****" are banned and anyone who had prejudices won't be kept in the team.

There was one other incident I recall vaguely where the hotel they were to stay didn't permit black players who were to stay a nearby place. Lombardi said, they can't have any Packers if they can't permit all packers and moved the team to a different hotel where all can stay together.

What a coach and a man!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've just finished watching the Super bowl 2 winning season on Sky Sports here in Little old Wales. As you can imagine up until the last few years, NFL coverage wasn't huge. It's now on 24/7 and it's a joy to be able to watch historical matches
Wait a minute, are you saying you were able to watch the entire 1967-68 season? I'm actually surprised film of those games even exist still if so. They must have looked a little grainy. I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a pioneer in more ways than one.

An incident goes where Lombardi took his team to a restaurant which mandated that black players need to enter and exit through back door. Lombardi made the entire team enter and exit through the back door.
I'
There was another incident when Tim Brown was invited by a white girl for dinner with her parents. Several white players reported this to Lombardi. And the next day, Lombardi called the team to gather at the field and made it clear that words like "n*****" are banned and anyone who had prejudices won't be kept in the team.

There was one other incident I recall vaguely where the hotel they were to stay didn't permit black players who were to stay a nearby place. Lombardi said, they can't have any Packers if they can't permit all packers and moved the team to a different hotel where all can stay together.

What a coach and a man!
Heck of difference from what those old Boston Celtics black players had to put up with. A downright travesty. From what I heard, when Bob Cousy learned afterwards what was happening, he broke down and cried. Lombardi would never have put up with that crap like xPack was saying. I'm surprised that Red Auerback did.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Super Bow 2 doesn't exist. It's the AFL-NFL Championship Game. Says so right on the Trophy.

That would be in line with a Viking fan's contention that they have a World Championship in spite of the fact that the Vikes lost the last game they played that year... the final AFL-NFL World Championship Game. It wasn't so much a loss as a big freekin' beat down by the Chiefs 23-7. Fact is that a "Champion" wins the last game of the season when there's a playoff involved.

It's OK. "Super Bowl" is nothing more than a marketing term anyway not unlike "America's Team" is to the Cowboys. I'm allowing them to prop up their own frail vanities the same way I allow the Viking fans I know to prop up theirs.

No extra charge. :rolleyes::whistling::sneaky:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That would be in line with a Viking fan's contention that they have a World Championship in spite of the fact that the Vikes lost the last game they played that year... the final AFL-NFL World Championship Game. It wasn't so much a loss as a big freekin' beat down by the Chiefs 23-7. Fact is that a "Champion" wins the last game of the season when there's a playoff involved.

It's OK. "Super Bowl" is nothing more than a marketing term anyway not unlike "America's Team" is to the Cowboys. I'm allowing them to prop up their own frail vanities the same way I allow the Viking fans I know to prop up theirs.

No extra charge. :rolleyes::whistling::sneaky:
Word that carefully because we all know if you don't it makes the Packers 1930 and 31 championships suspect.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Word that carefully because we all know if you don't it makes the Packers 1930 and 31 championships suspect.

It is what it was...there was no playoff. The trophy is in the Packers Hall of Fame. Just sayin'. Not our fault the Vikes didn't exist.

OP
OP
Fozastuta

Fozastuta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least opening this thread has taught me who the good people are and who the absolute virgins on here are.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
At least opening this thread has taught me who the good people are and who the absolute virgins on here are.

Keep posting my man.

Don't count Raptor among the virgins. He is a real live guy and a real live Vikings fan. One of the good guys. Knows his stuff, dishes it as well as he takes it ... BUT ... as a Vikings fan, he has been screwed soooo many times that he doesn't count as a ****** any longer. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
"world" champions :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

how many other nations have teams competing in this competition?
They could just as easily and more impressively used Solarian or galactic also. Did you not watch the "Miss Universe" pageant?
all look like they are from the same planet as I am:

(to be sure I'd need to examine them MUCH more closely)

Members online

Latest posts