Super Bowl 1 Special

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Who watched the special and what did you think? I actually remember watching part of SB1. I remember the rocket guys and halftime. I remember Dad complaining about the AFL. But sometime in the second half, I'm pretty sure we went outside and played football.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Totally disappointed in the format it was presented. I tuned in to watch the game and listen to the original broadcast. To have nothing but dribble being served up by the studio idiots, who seemed only interested in telling stories, throughout the whole game!! Reminded me of being dragged to a Super Bowl Party with the intention of watching the game, but ending up being surrounded by a bunch of drunks who drowned out the sound.

Toss in all the crap on the screen running, that in itself was bad enough.

Total let down. I hope they run it as was, without the studio commentary and video noise.

Super Bowl 1.......Welcome to the world of high tech....50 years later!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here's the full game, as it was played.
Thanks PL......will be nice to watch and listen to it as it originally was broadcast. I can not figure out how The NFL Network thought that the Audio portion was not important enough to include it, but to replaced by a bunch of studio heads talking nonsense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL.....like this post on FB:

So after discovering how bad this attempt at a "historic" NFL broadcast was, I decided to do something else tonight. I got 7 of my friends together, and went to see Star Wars at the theater. From the moment the movie started we all chatted as loud as possible about the original Star Wars while everyone else in the theater tried to watch the movie. You know what we discovered? This concept doesn't work at the movie theater either. Next up.....the Opera.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who watched the special and what did you think? I actually remember watching part of SB1. I remember the rocket guys and halftime. I remember Dad complaining about the AFL. But sometime in the second half, I'm pretty sure we went outside and played football.

I enjoyed it, but it would have been better if they would have limited the modern commentary to pre-game, halftime, and post game. I wanted to hear the actual broadcast of the game.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I enjoyed Mooch's stories though. Go to church, come home to an Italian feast and watch the Packers followed by going outside to play football and pretend you are Packers players represents down home Midwest living and and traditional Packers fan nostalgia.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Maybe NFL films will release a DVD of the game without all the stuff from last night's special. That would be worth buying.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Here's the full game, as it was played.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Was it just me or was there way too much freeze up and buffering? Running windows 10 but the Dailymotion vid just wasn't all there...anyone else or is it my system?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here's a question....when the original owner passes along, will the family still continue to keep the film from the NFL? Surely you would think SOMETHING will be worked out eventually.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally disappointed in the format it was presented. I tuned in to watch the game and listen to the original broadcast. To have nothing but dribble being served up by the studio idiots, who seemed only interested in telling stories, throughout the whole game!! Reminded me of being dragged to a Super Bowl Party with the intention of watching the game, but ending up being surrounded by a bunch of drunks who drowned out the sound.

Total let down. I hope they run it as was, without the studio commentary and video noise.

Apparently others feel the way way. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rops-the-ball-with-super-bowl-i-re-broadcast/

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

I recorded it and waited until after the Packers season was over to watch so I did so last night. I could have written this post. I didn't mind it being 15 hours long and I didn't mind the 25 commentators. Having a few participants talk about it was an obvious but good choice. But for cry'n out loud after advertising this big "discovery" of the "lost" game I really expected to be able to watch the game without the distraction of the idiots talking over it. At one point the "host" had to say something like, 'Oh, the Packers are about to score, we should watch it'. It would have been better to let us watch every play "recovered" with the original commentary even if they wanted to stop it and talk after every few plays. They certainly didn’t act as if having the game film available was any special.

BTW, some people never change: KC DB Fred Williamson "The Hammer" was a braggart and an *** before Super Bowl I and he's still an *** today. Even knowing the outcome he couldn't give the Packers any credit. What a classless clown. Too bad they didn’t keep him around until he got knocked out of the game so he could watch the Packers make fun of him on the sideline. His teammate RB Mike Garrett provided a stark contrast.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Spot on TJV. What the idiots at the NFL Network didn't realize is that most people tuned in to watch a Football Game that had been "lost" for 50 years, not to listen to mindless chatter. To take something that historic and bastardize it with what basically turned into barroom chat of ex players telling "old war stories" while the game played in the background was just beyond stupid. Show the game, original sound, nothing else and after that, let people stick around if they want to hear all the dribble. I am a fan of Much, but not in that situation.

Can you imagine the flack NBC would get if they broadcast Super Bowl 50 like that?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Was it just me or was there way too much freeze up and buffering? Running windows 10 but the Dailymotion vid just wasn't all there...anyone else or is it my system?
Same for me - and on Chrome too.

BTW, I have vivid memories of watching the game. We went to a neighbor's house who had just purchased the 'latest & greatest' TV but they weren't die-hard football fans so I worried they'd be talking all the way through it. But they didn't. I remember being worried at halftime; like many NFL fans I expected a bigger margin.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Same for me - and on Chrome too.

BTW, I have vivid memories of watching the game. We went to a neighbor's house who had just purchased the 'latest & greatest' TV but they weren't die-hard football fans so I worried they'd be talking all the way through it. But they didn't. I remember being worried at halftime; like many NFL fans I expected a bigger margin.

I was 9...and watching. I don't remember much of it. I was probably drunk and calling for Vince Lombardi to be fired...because he was too conservative. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts