Sunday's Loss Proves Green Bay Packers Playoff Success Hinges on Earning Home Field Advantage

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they played the Bears again, they'd probably blow them out. That's why I never use such scores as a barometer.
Like MM said, it's not who you play, it's when you play them.
So if we play the Falcons again, and our tackles are healthy, Jordy is back and MD is playing we should win?

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have to play at Lambeau in a NFCCG to beat a team to go to the Super Bowl because grass is slower. What happens when we play a fast team on turf in the Super Bowl?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have to play at Lambeau in a NFCCG to beat a team to go to the Super Bowl because grass is slower. What happens when we play a fast team on turf in the Super Bowl?

Then we get to curse at wide open WR's running around our secondary again. :D

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's telling to me that, in Rodgers' postgame presser this past Sunday, he was asked about beating the Falcons, and he said "I think we can beat anybody at home".

He actually said it twice. After he has made several comments about the need to get home field advantage after the NFCCG, and throughout the offseason, is this the new r-e-l-a-x, or the new run the table? Hmmmm.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's telling to me that, in Rodgers' postgame presser this past Sunday, he was asked about beating the Falcons, and he said "I think we can beat anybody at home".

He actually said it twice. After he has made several comments about the need to get home field advantage after the NFCCG, and throughout the offseason, is this the new r-e-l-a-x, or the new run the table? Hmmmm.

Losing this game put a real damper on those hopes. Going in, I felt we had a real golden opportunity for #1 seed because we'd be playing all of our main competition for it(Falcons, Cowboys, Seahawks). But with all 3 of those games in the first 5 weeks- and 2 on the road- well, that's a real tall order for any team no matter how good they are.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Losing this game put a real damper on those hopes. Going in, I felt we had a real golden opportunity for #1 seed because we'd be playing all of our main competition for it(Falcons, Cowboys, Seahawks). But with all 3 of those games in the first 5 weeks- and 2 on the road- well, that's a real tall order for any team no matter how good they are.
The magic number for the Packers is 12. They need to get to 12 wins to hopefully guarantee the #1 seed. Maybe 13.

I think Atlanta will have some struggles on the road this year. Some really tough matchups for them with them having to go to Detroit, New England, Seattle, and then obviously their division opponents of New Orleans, Carolina, Tampa Bay. I could see them with another 5 loss season.

Dallas is going up against a 1st place schedule this year after feasting on last place teams a year ago. After a few softballs to start the season (Rams, 49ers, Redskins), they finish up with Chiefs, Falcons, Eagles, Chargers, Raiders, Seahawks, Eagles. With the Skins and Giants sprinkled in. That's pretty brutal. And I like our chances in week 5 with the way Trevor Siemian ripped that secondary to shreds.

The Packers have a pretty favorable home schedule - Cincinnati, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, and then of course our regular divison opponents. The most daunting of that list to me is Baltimore with their defense, but it's a huge advantage drawing them at home with the offense being able to communicate and such. And no one on their offense scares me that much to where I'm ultra worried about our defense. Tampa Bay coming to Lambeau in December isn't something I'm very concerned about.

On the road, we have Dallas, Pittsburgh, Carolina - which are admittedly tough. I like the way we matchup with Dallas this year, Pittsburgh will be a huge challenge though. We'll see what Carolina proves to be in the coming weeks. But Cleveland on the road? That's a bye week.

I think we will have a legit shot. But we have to play some pretty special football between now and the end of the season. We have to take advantage of the stretch between now and Week 10.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I had the same reaction as you. Sounds like he's not too confident about away games.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense was supposed to be electric this season. I think Detroit and Minnesota can outscore us right now.
Well, in the first game we were playing Seattle (one of the best defensive teams in the league).
And in the second we were missing Jordy and our starting tackles.
But I will say that our tight ends have not performed as expected thus far. They need to get it together, or this is going to be a disappointing season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was week 2, with 2 new tackles, we have 2 new TE's this year and were without Jordy from the firs series on. It's going to take some time. Do people pay attention to nothing on this team or in this league?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen enough to know some things, such as we're not as good as Atlanta, and Randall is not and never will be a #1 CB.
But Mondio's right. Week 2 and the situation they were in tells me that we don't know how good we are; too much out of whack to get any real indications. Let's get healthy, play some more games, and see what happens. The bye week we should know a lot more.

Sky King

Reaction score
Week 2 the Falcons were the better team no question. With injuries being the great equalizer, by the end of the season it could be the other way around. Like the old adage goes, "It's not how you start out but it's how you finish."

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Our offense was supposed to be electric this season. I think Detroit and Minnesota can outscore us right now.
The offense rarely clicks immediately early on in September. We went up against Seattle and Atlanta. We're fine offensively.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First two sentences are hard to argue against. Don't necessarily see where that leads to the third.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My "early" concerns with this team are the same we have seen over the last several seasons. Things that could end up costing us games that we need to gain home field advantage:
  1. Offense not in its groove just yet, "they will figure it out."
  2. Injuries forcing unproven developmental kind of guys to play.
  3. Not seeing anything too impressive from the 1-3 year guys (except Clark).
  4. Defense shows signs of looking good against average to below average offenses, can't stop an above average offense.
  5. Absolutely nothing special about the special teams.
Sure, we are only 2 games in, but some of the same tell tale signs that might prevent the Packers from getting out to a "fast start" are there. Fortunately, the schedule making gods were kind to us and gave us two mediocre teams to face the next 2 games. I just hope MM and company view these next 2 games as "must wins" and "must fix things in all facets of the game." Otherwise, we may be looking at a repeat of the past seasons.....Good team, mainly because of AR carrying it, but not good enough to get to a Super Bowl and the excuses once again will be "bad beat on injuries and the young guys didn't progress as much as we thought they would."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts