Sunday night sky-camera falls.....

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

SKY CAMERA STARTS SPIN CYCLE

We haven't said anything about the fact that a camera ended up on the field during Sunday night's Saints-Seahawks game because, well, we simply didn't know that the thing had actually ended up on the field.

And that's a compliment (we think) to NBC, whose "show must go on" attitude apparently included suggesting to the guys in the booth that they shouldn't talk about a portion of the show that actually had gone on.

Even now, there's a difference of opinion as to what happened.

The Tacoma News Tribune reports that the camera "dropp[ed] out of the sky like some otherworldly flying saucer, nearly hitting [Matt] Hasselbeck in the head."

"I really don't know what to say," Hasselbeck said. "I just feel really fortunate it didn't hit me on top of the head."

Predictably, the company that operates the camera calls the incident a "controlled descent," according to Michael Hiestand of USA Today.

The NBC and the NFL are satisfied with Cablecam's explanation as to what happened.

In an unrelated development, each of the 32 teams on Monday made sure that they have purchased the "falling equipment on wires" endorsement for their workers' compensation policies.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.......i never knew the camera was that big. Had that landed on someone, it could have killed them.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I really wonder why this isn't getting more play in the media.. maybe if someone gets hit then maybe it will become a concern?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that after this happened they hung the sky camera up near one of the team's benches, and players were looking up, making sure to avoid walking underneath it for the rest of the game.

Maybe they'll get rid of the stupid thing. It doesn't add anything to the broadcast anyway, except to give me vertigo.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Greg. A few times it gave shots that were interesting, but for the most part it really is a waste........plus obviously dangerous.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I like the angles from behind the line. Especially on a running play. I don't think they are quite ready to use it for the live shots but the replays are informative.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I disagree. I like the angles from behind the line. Especially on a running play. I don't think they are quite ready to use it for the live shots but the replays are informative.

I agree that the camera angle is awesome, but I think they need to look at the support system a little.. single cables on each side secured at two anchor points isn't my idea of secure.. either cable breaks.. down it comes.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL! I'm confusing myself........I DO like the angles behind the line that they show. But really, how often do they really USE that shot? Not very much i think. So is it worth someone getting killed because the darn thing comes down? Now, if they can figure out a better system that will ensure it being safe, i have nothing against it. I never realized the thing was so BIG till i saw it on the ground. I thought it was just a normal sized camera. It looks like "R2D2" on a steel cable though!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that these cameras haven't interfered with a punt, or even a pass yet. Maybe it has happened, but I have never seen it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that these cameras haven't interfered with a punt, or even a pass yet. Maybe it has happened, but I have never seen it.
Thats what i was wondering too! Some of those punts go pretty darn high! I don't remember hearing it happen yet either.......but if it does, it could REALLY mess up a game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
On punts it's moved out of the way, I assume.

Also, this article was from PFT.com for those who like to know where articles came from.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think they make sure to keep it behind the line of scrimmage so that can't happen.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say get rid of it, an end zone camera can give almost the same perspective.
They say great minds think alike........that the same thing i was thinking!
I think it's just one of the attempts to "one up" the other stations. "Look what WE have!"
With the great cameras they have, an end zone one can zoom in and like Spardo says, get almost the same view.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sky camera is here to stay. AND you can't get that view from anywhere else. get used to it. What they can do is route a secondary suspension system to keep it from falling again, but it's here to stay and I'm glad that it is. I love the top down view from behind the play.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sky camera is here to stay. AND you can't get that view from anywhere else. get used to it. What they can do is route a secondary suspension system to keep it from falling again, but it's here to stay and I'm glad that it is. I love the top down view from behind the play.
I like the view too.......but they don't actually USE it very much.

Members online

Latest posts