Such a touchy subject...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone should be in the middle right now about TT but many are crowning him King.

1. Thanks for telling people how they should feel.

2. Who is crowning him king?

3. I've got nothing here, but every list should have at least 3 things.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any one of us on this forum could be thrust into an Nfl General Managers job and create "cap Space" for that particular team. All you have to do is gut the team which is what Teddy did.
Now what makes you or breaks you as a GM is what you do after you have gutted the team.
Make no mistake about this, I despise Teddy and his management style, but I believe that at this point in time he has the Green Bay Packers going in the right direction.
Although I think the 2007 season should be Teddys defining year, I would like Teddy to be able to fulfill his 5 year contract and see where the Green Bay Packers are then.
I will never be a fan of any manager of any organization who has a "secret squirel" non communicative style like Teddy does I will always be a fan of the Green Bay Packers.

If Teddys style work, I'm thinking we will all be happy, after all we are not a fan of only one person we are fans of the Green Bay Packers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any one of us on this forum could be thrust into an Nfl General Managers job and create "cap Space" for that particular team. All you have to do is gut the team which is what Teddy did.
Now what makes you or breaks you as a GM is what you do after you have gutted the team.
Make no mistake about this, I despise Teddy and his management style, but I believe that at this point in time he has the Green Bay Packers going in the right direction.
Although I think the 2007 season should be Teddys defining year, I would like Teddy to be able to fulfill his 5 year contract and see where the Green Bay Packers are then.
I will never be a fan of any manager of any organization who has a "secret squirel" non communicative style like Teddy does I will always be a fan of the Green Bay Packers.

If Teddys style work, I'm thinking we will all be happy, after all we are not a fan of only one person we are fans of the Green Bay Packers.
My question is.......who did Ted "gut" on the team? Walker wanted out for greener pastures, Longwell wanted to kick in a dome. Sharper was the only one that i would have liked see stay here.
I'm not sure what you mean by "secret squirrel" management. Do you mean because he doesn't openly share what he's gonna do with anyone outside the organization? If thats what you mean, it doesn't bother me. He's like a card player, that doesn't show his hand to everyone at the table. To me, thats a smart approach. If he spouts off "I wanna go after this guy, and this guy, then the other teams will up the anty cause they KNOW he's chomping at the bit to get the guys.
Yeah, i'd like to know what he is gonna do too, but not so that it screws up what he's trying to accomplish.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson is heading into his third offseason with total control over the Packers' football operations, and no doubt he's run with his mandate to rebuild the team. Besides firing former coach Mike Sherman last year and hiring McCarthy to replace him, Thompson has remade the team's roster: Of the 74 players who were on the active roster, injured reserve and practice squad at the end of the 2004 season, right before Thompson became GM, only 19 remain. That means 75 percent of the players have turned over.

Also, McCarthy's starting lineup for the final game last season contained 12 different players than Sherman had in his final game as a dual coach-GM in '05: receiver Greg Jennings (for Robert Ferguson), guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz (for Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera), center Scott Wells (for Grey Reugamer), defensive tackles Pickett and Corey Williams (for Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt), defensive end Cullen Jenkins (for Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila), linebacker Brady Poppinga (for Hannibal Navies), linebacker Hawk (for Na'il Diggs), cornerback Woodson (for Ahmad Carroll), and safeties Nick Collins and Manuel (for Darren Sharper and Mark Roman).
Maybe gutting the team was a little strong Cheesey but to be a little kinder I'll change it to "turning the roster over".
How the heck do you think he gained cap space.
At any rate I think he has us headed in the right direction.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson did gut the team. It was obvious it was in a state of decline everywhere you looked. He should have found a way to keep Wahle and Walker...mostly Wahle. Other than that, I agree on most of his roster moves.

The main thing is that the Packers pretty solid at every postition and his approach to free agency should be to find some veteran depth especially at CB, S, OL and WR.

In the draft, it's the best player available, regardless of postition except at LB.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson is heading into his third offseason with total control over the Packers' football operations, and no doubt he's run with his mandate to rebuild the team. Besides firing former coach Mike Sherman last year and hiring McCarthy to replace him, Thompson has remade the team's roster: Of the 74 players who were on the active roster, injured reserve and practice squad at the end of the 2004 season, right before Thompson became GM, only 19 remain. That means 75 percent of the players have turned over.

Also, McCarthy's starting lineup for the final game last season contained 12 different players than Sherman had in his final game as a dual coach-GM in '05: receiver Greg Jennings (for Robert Ferguson), guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz (for Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera), center Scott Wells (for Grey Reugamer), defensive tackles Pickett and Corey Williams (for Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt), defensive end Cullen Jenkins (for Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila), linebacker Brady Poppinga (for Hannibal Navies), linebacker Hawk (for Na'il Diggs), cornerback Woodson (for Ahmad Carroll), and safeties Nick Collins and Manuel (for Darren Sharper and Mark Roman).
Maybe gutting the team was a little strong Cheesey but to be a little kinder I'll change it to "turning the roster over".
How the heck do you think he gained cap space.
At any rate I think he has us headed in the right direction.
Oh....i understand what you meant now.
Yeah, he has made lots of changes. I also agree with you that they were necessary and have us headed in the right direction. Hopefully the needed pieces will get picked up this off season!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once thing's for sure, we shall all see if Ted's the right man for the job.

Having been a Packers fans for around 50 years, I've pretty much seen it all. I've lived through the 60s where we experienced our fair share of success yet fans were still critical. I've lived through the 70s & 80s and listened to fans there too say "We're on the way up, we're making changes for the better" yet it never seemed to happen.

The bottom line, as someone mentioned, is the win/loss record. Maybe's, woulda's, shoulda's & coulda's don't count in the NFL. Are we really better than we were when TT got here? We haven't been yet IMO, but we've got another year coming up to show us where we stand.

Personally, I don't think we were as bad off as many people say we were before TT got here. I've yet to see anything proving to me we were in "Cap Hell" as some people term it. And our poor, old, decrepit team did manage to drag their worn out bodies to a pretty good record those previous years. In fact, some of them are still doing a pretty good job of it.

But in reality, it doesn't make any difference what I think about the caliber of those teams or the GMs and coaches that were here then. Because, the record book is only going to show the win/loss records. And that's the same way it'll be for TT.

Regardless of what happens, I'm guessing in two years the same people will still be saying "We're getting better, give him time!" and the same people will be saying "He sucks, fire his ***". And there'll be evidence to support both opinions.

Because, like life, the Packers will still go on with or without Ted Thompson.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Personally, I don't think we were as bad off as many people say we were before TT got here. I've yet to see anything proving to me we were in "Cap Hell" as some people term it.

2004 Salary Cap
Estimated/available cap space 725,426

2005 Salary Cap
cap space 1,904,595

Sorry, I can't see the pages you linked Z2C, my browser turns them into a jumble.

But what I'm guessing they show, depending on the date, is that the Packers could have kept any free agent had they wanted to. I'm not going to get into another argument over whether or not it would have been a wise decision to do so, but as opposed to "Cap Hell" when a team absolutely has to clean house just to get down to the limit, the Packers did have options. And I'm sure even TT would admit that he chose the route they took, it wasn't something they HAD to do.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Lare said:
Personally, I don't think we were as bad off as many people say we were before TT got here. I've yet to see anything proving to me we were in "Cap Hell" as some people term it.

2004 Salary Cap
Estimated/available cap space 725,426

2005 Salary Cap
cap space 1,904,595

Sorry, I can't see the pages you linked Z2C, my browser turns them into a jumble.

But what I'm guessing they show, depending on the date, is that the Packers could have kept any free agent had they wanted to. I'm not going to get into another argument over whether or not it would have been a wise decision to do so, but as opposed to "Cap Hell" when a team absolutely has to clean house just to get down to the limit, the Packers did have options. And I'm sure even TT would admit that he chose the route they took, it wasn't something they HAD to do.

I had to use IE to view them, some reason FireFox gargled them up. :shrug:

The Packers were in cap 'hell' as some say. They could have worked out deals for players such as Wahle (per Andrew Brandt) but at what cost? He said they would had to restructure other contracts to fit him in. Brandt also said he can manipulate the cap to accomodate any player if necessary.

I'd like to see other teams wasted cash vs our wasted cash. I also can't find where the money we are paying Sherman is being taken from our salary cap.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because they're ignorant? I don't know. Last time I checked, coaching salary and salary cap are completely unrelated.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sarcasm is hard to detect through written media, but I, being the not-so-average Joe that I am, am QUITE capable of detecting even the slightest suggestion. that being said, are you calling me stupid? or crazy? or what?

Reaction score
Honestly, a lot of people here have unconventional humour. You, kmac, Yared-Yam are people that come to mind right away. It's not that you are crazy, or stupid, but just more of a different kind of funny that is a refreshing read.

The psychology student thing was just a take off that; being unconventional in your humour. The 'not-so-average Joe' part was meant as a joke, although it isn't really that funny.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everybody knows where "Whammy!" comes from, right? Anchorman. So anyway, i was at this bar in Fargo ND about a year and a half ago, and there was this group of guys there who were all dressed up nicely, I'm guessing they were there for bachelor party. And there's this one guy in the group who's sitting at a table looking like he was about ready to either puke or fall off the chair. Needless to say, this dude was partied out. So i'm watching him hoping that i get to see some alcohol-related theatrics, and one of the bar tenders comes up to him and says "I just got off the phone with your mom and she'll be here to pick you up in 15 minutes. Can you make it that long?" Just then one of his buddies comes up behind him and screams "WHAMMY! WHAMMY! WHA..." he almost got the third whammy out but before he could finish, his buddy turned around to see what was going on, and he must have turned his head too fast, because by the time his head was turned, he had puked ALL OVER his buddy. Quite possibly the funniest thing I ever saw.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
everybody knows where "Whammy!" comes from, right? Anchorman. So anyway, i was at this bar in Fargo ND about a year and a half ago, and there was this group of guys there who were all dressed up nicely, I'm guessing they were there for bachelor party. And there's this one guy in the group who's sitting at a table looking like he was about ready to either puke or fall off the chair. Needless to say, this dude was partied out. So i'm watching him hoping that i get to see some alcohol-related theatrics, and one of the bar tenders comes up to him and says "I just got off the phone with your mom and she'll be here to pick you up in 15 minutes. Can you make it that long?" Just then one of his buddies comes up behind him and screams "WHAMMY! WHAMMY! WHA..." he almost got the third whammy out but before he could finish, his buddy turned around to see what was going on, and he must have turned his head too fast, because by the time his head was turned, he had puked ALL OVER his buddy. Quite possibly the funniest thing I ever saw.

I once saw a drunk guy puke in the bar, then he raised his head like no one saw him, he had bits of puke all over his mouth but intead of grabbing a napkin, or using his shirt sleve he just licked it off like it was ice cream and took another swig of his beer.

OFF TOPIC!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts