1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Study showing that Social Media stifles personal opinion. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by NorthWestCheeseHead, Aug 26, 2014.

1. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/26/so...g-personal-opinion-even-in-the-offline-world/

2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,230
    Well, except for here, I choose to not participate even though I have the technological capabilities.

I don't have a Facebook account (and never will) nor do I use Twitter (and never will). I set up a LinkedIn account that I never go to ... blah blah blah ... that's not to say that you can avoid it even if you wanted to ... for instance, Gannett Newspapers online commentary sections require that you log on to your Facebook to post a comment. Those commentary sections are largely overrun by organized "posters" if you will, hired by, and coached by "professionals" to put forth the company line. This is particularly true in Wisconsin. All you need do is read any story critical of the guys in the majority (I'm a lifelong Republican - though I'd be called a RINO today) to get my gist - and yes, the other guys are doing it too, so back in your corner ....and it's not just one paper's electronic version, they hit every paper that carries the story. It is so blatant that I don't normally get past 5 or 6 comments before giving it up.

The whole section becomes a hair pulling session and not worth my time. I just can't dumb myself down long enough.

Intolerance to varying opinion is today's benchmark -- though it's roots can be traced back to the 90's. EVERYTHING turns into a pi$$ing match. Is there anything worth the time? I mean ... I'd be interested if there is, but by-and-large, I'll pass on pictures of what people are eating for dinner and that my niece is lounging about doing nothing today... :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    My wife lives her life on Facebook. She tells me this and that even though I`m not interested, and when I complain, she mentions my time on this forum (No comparison !) It drives me crazy at times.

4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Was on this forum a few years back when my teeny bopper niece was visiting. I was explaining what I could do here and also why I did not have Facebook. Pictures posts videos etc. She said this place replaced FB and that is why I would never need it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    FB and here iare in principle the same, or no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,010
    She says (and this is actually making me laugh here..lol) "How can you fight with total strangers ?" :roflmao:. She`s right for pity sake....lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,010
    Having just answered LT, I`ve just had one of those OMG moments......:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    FB and twitter are pure evil. More drama, hate, discontent, spying, tattle tales, and nosy punks use this form of social media to do nothing but cause trouble. Those are the two most evil things created on the web.

9. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Actually it has more to do with the disconnect between anonymity and empathy. Inanimate technological things can't have morals, they cannot be "good" or "evil".

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Oski

Oski Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    #stupidthread

jk

• Agree Agree x 1