Studs vs Duds:Crosby's Black Hole Edition

L

Lunchboxer

Studs Arron Rodgers not great but Clutch when it mattered.

D-Line 5 Sacks with out the Claymaker good.

Hayward 5th INT of the season. Great young talent.

Finley caught everything thrown to him today.

The Running game was quite decent. But I felt it was a tad overused.

Duds Mason Crosby. Good lord he cant make a FG to save his life. Made the last one but 38 yard he almost missed that even.

The Secondary was okay but I felt gave too many big plays today. No full dud but not great eather.

MM Playcalling was bad. The confusion on that 58 yard att was awful.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your points except i think the confusion was deliberate. They never were going for that attempt.
Glad you gave kudos to Finley.

Crosby is a head case and how can you depend on him?

Pickett played a very good game. Raji takes too many plays off.

Play calling was the biggest disappointment for me. I don't understand why we pass long on third and short or why we run against a poor pass defense. I thought Mike called an incredibly poor game.

DB's are an up and coming group.

OL was pourous as it has been all season.

Rodgers hit an miss with some poor decisions

L

Lunchboxer

I agree with your points except i think the confusion was deliberate. They never were going for that attempt.
Glad you gave kudos to Finley.

Crosby is a head case and how can you depend on him?

Pickett played a very good game. Raji takes too many plays off.

Play calling was the biggest disappointment for me. I don't understand why we pass long on third and short or why we run against a poor pass defense. I thought Mike called an incredibly poor game.

DB's are an up and coming group.

OL was pourous as it has been all season.

Rodgers hit an miss with some poor decisions

Yea but were they trying for a fake or what. To me I dont know what was going on. Maybe that was the point for the other team too not knowing whats going on.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think mikey was ever going for the Field goal. Why would he? He tried to gain an advantage, one of few good coaching decisions he made today. I thought he called a horrible game.

12theTruth

Studs Starks, Finley, Cobb, MD Jennings, Starting OLB's

Duds Crosby, Raji, Tramon Williams, MM playcalling, MM vote of confidence to Crosby after game.

Packers should feel lucky to get the win today. Certain aspects played well but Lion WR's were open throughout much of the game and Stafford missed them on many occasions. I still give all the credit in the world to our defense. They played more than well enough to win the game. A few players gave negative performances such as Raji and Tramon Williams. Also with Matthews, Woodson and Shields out on defense today along with still being down 2 of our top 3 inside LB's for the year I give MAJOR PROPS for their efforts.

Crosby simply deserves to be waived. Eat his contract and sign Longwell to a 1 year deal. He easily could have cost us today's game and DID cost us the Colts game. He had two weeks to make adjustments and improve. HE GOT WORSE. Then we have to turn on the TV to see Johnnie Gray making ridiculous apologies with a total disgard of fact and reality in regards to Mason Crosby.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This secondary is going to be stout with House and Hayward in the future. House is pretty big...he might be a safety though when this thing is perfected.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House , Hayward, and Jennings are all going to have a great future. Williams needs to start playing up to his mouth.

Reaction score
There wasn't confusion... Crabtree was motioning like the play was supposed to and the Refs thought it was a false start, even though it was a legal motion. If it was a purposeful false start, it was smart because it helped Masthay punt it easier.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-

Casey Hayward - another great game. I am beginning to really like him. He really hawks coverage and reacts very well to changing plays.

Jerdroppal Paddlehands! - Made some big plays. And when he got hot they sent him the ball. Now no celebrations and he will be ok.

Eric Walden - had a nice motor today and kept it going.

Cobb - the guy is Percy Harvin times 2. I love his ability to find open field.

Rodgers - he was shaky a few times, but his line needs to wake up.

Duds -

Mike McCarthy - come on. Giving Mason Crosby a vote of confidence after the game? MM called one of the worst games EVER with the exception of seeing that Finley was on today and getting him the ball in crunch time.

Mason Crosby - enough is enough, he should be waived. ANY other nfl kicker doesnt have these major of problems. Get Longwell out of retirement. Nate Kaeding is Mason Crosby, Jr. Crosby is going to cost this team a playoff game if they hang on to him.

Referees in the first half of this game - many calls appeared to be phantom and nit picky. They did redeem themselves when House basically tackled Young in the end zone in the 4th quarter. Also what homer was running the clock? Whomever they were they were only giving a 6 second play 3 seconds.

Tramon Williams - when Shields comes back, they need to seriously think about only playing him in the dime. He cannot tackle or cover. I think his best days are far behind him.

The Packers stole that game. Once again MM calls a sheep-like game at best. Thank goodness Stafford is consistantly inconsistant, or we could have lost big. Get a new K in NOW. I think UW's kicker is now about at Crosby's level. This team keeps winning ugly and the D keeps improving on pass D. Considering who is on the shelf, I have to tip my hat to all the next men that are up. Now get a new kicker before it costs this team a playoff game.

12theTruth

There are quite a few kickers out there. Rackers, Longwell, Gano, Mare, Kasay, Brown...

Great, bring in a couple of them. Only the ones with major cold weather kicking experience. Have a tryout. Let the best one take Crosby's spot on 53 man roster. Since the above probably won't happen Thompson SHOULD

clear up a spot on the practice squad, have a tryout for undrafted free agent or 1st year K and sign the best one to practice squad to groom for possible replacement of Crosby if he can't rebound to a respectable showing as the season progresses.

For those who say this would put undue pressure on Crosby, give me a break. Isn't that being a bit of a mentally inferior person if you can't be a man and respond to a healthy competition.

Can the Packers afford to wait and rely on Crosby? Shouldn't the Packers at least take the second option to cover themselves?

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly Crosby is in a funk. But he did help us win a SuperBowl, and was considered one of the most reliable kickers up til this year. Bring in some other kickers, but don't show Crosby the door just yet. I remember Longwell having a year where his 50 yd attempts were not even making it to the crossbar. Then a few years later he was helping the Vikings beat us with a heroic 50+ yd kick with time running out. Kick Crosby out now and I have a feeling a division rival would pick him up and we would be regretting the decision a few years down the road.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We owe a lot to Fairley for not body slamming Rodgers. That could have ended an era right there.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby is slumping right now yes. I feel bad for him. Greg Jennings couldn't even get that "Dougie" smile out of him. I know it's his job and he's getting paid millions for it and everything. But before this slump he was doing really well and now that will be overshadowed.

I was a big supporter of him before this. Heck, he came into the year on fire with 16 in a row dating back to last year. But now, well I don't know how long this slump will last. And we can't afford to have him missing kicks in the playoffs when it might will matter. We can't keep 2 kickers on the roster either. He's just got to get back to his basics and start pushing em' through again.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Mason Crosby. Cut him! Cut him! Then cut him again! It doesnt mattter how far you can kick it when you ar inaccurate. Nat Kaeding is out there and is far more accurate than Crosby. I pray we dont need him to win a game.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby is slumping right now yes. I feel bad for him. Greg Jennings couldn't even get that "Dougie" smile out of him. I know it's his job and he's getting paid millions for it and everything. But before this slump he was doing really well and now that will be overshadowed.

I was a big supporter of him before this. Heck, he came into the year on fire with 16 in a row dating back to last year. But now, well I don't know how long this slump will last. And we can't afford to have him missing kicks in the playoffs when it might will matter. We can't keep 2 kickers on the roster either. He's just got to get back to his basics and start pushing em' through again.

I agree. Give him a chance to get back in form. And if he can not do so in the next few games, then maybe we have to look elsewhere. They all choke or falter at some point. Remember Gary Anderson?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs Arron Rodgers not great but Clutch when it mattered.

D-Line 5 Sacks with out the Claymaker good.

Hayward 5th INT of the season. Great young talent.

Finley caught everything thrown to him today.

The Running game was quite decent. But I felt it was a tad overused.

Duds Mason Crosby. Good lord he cant make a FG to save his life. Made the last one but 38 yard he almost missed that even.

The Secondary was okay but I felt gave too many big plays today. No full dud but not great eather.

I agree but U have to give McCarthy a STUD for finally showing some Lombardi Temper with his teams performance, It's about time he had a mouth full of butt chewing, our O'line really lives up to the meaning of OFFENSIVE...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Duds not mentioned: Cobb as KR. Again he was a stud on offense, but he cost the Packers starting field position two or three times when he should have just downed it. EDS - I realize he was facing a very good DT, but at times he would have done better just falling down in front of him. He needs to improve a lot in a hurry.

When Crosby has missed kicks outdoors I assumed the wind was affecting the flight of the ball but his kicks seemed to move from side to side in the dome - like a knuckle ball only they were end-over-end. Whether or not McCarthy replaces him this season (and I doubt he will), this last pre-season should be the last time another kicker isn't brought in IMO. I know Thompson would rather not "waste" the roster spot but perhaps Mason could use some pre-season anxiety about keeping his job.

12theTruth

Duds not mentioned: Cobb as KR. Again he was a stud on offense, but he cost the Packers starting field position two or three times when he should have just downed it. EDS - I realize he was facing a very good DT, but at times he would have done better just falling down in front of him. He needs to improve a lot in a hurry.

When Crosby has missed kicks outdoors I assumed the wind was affecting the flight of the ball but his kicks seemed to move from side to side in the dome - like a knuckle ball only they were end-over-end. Whether or not McCarthy replaces him this season (and I doubt he will), this last pre-season should be the last time another kicker isn't brought in IMO. I know Thompson would rather not "waste" the roster spot but perhaps Mason could use some pre-season anxiety about keeping his job.

Ted wouldn't be "wasting" a roster spot if he opens up a practice squad spot for a K. Dezman Moses an UNDRAFTED free agent started for the Pack yesterday. Did pretty good ya think? A K can also fill a needed role off the squad and subsequently provide value to the 53 man unit. Have a tryout, scour preseason footage from this season and last, explore every avenue and get the best candidate and practice him up for the next several weeks. That way the Pack isn't stuck in case Crosby can't get out of his season-long rut.

I'd give Crosby another month at the most, if he is still horrible, release Crosby. Packers can't afford to have an unrealiable K to cost them a game come playoff time.

If Crosby corrects his problems then great, but at least you have an "insurance" policy with meaningful reps with Goode and Masthay.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts