Studs vs Duds: 2nd Half Collapse Edition

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Another dud: refs... the PI on Shields was crap. Should have been OPI all the way. Shields was playing the ball the whole time and probably would have had a pick if he hadn't gotten shoved. This makes 3 weeks in a row the other team scores off of a horrid call.

That did lead to a Td by the colts and not a long 3rd down

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Someone else with Rodgers thinks more of his stats?

What evidence leads you to that

how about this: His receivers are often open. But he looks too hesitant to throw anything other than a sure thing. He seems content to just take the sack rather than avoid 3rd and longs by tossing the ball in the stands or even using the MVP arm of his and giving our "top quality" receivers a chance to go get the ball.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
how about this: His receivers are often open. But he looks too hesitant to throw anything other than a sure thing. He seems content to just take the sack rather than avoid 3rd and longs by tossing the ball in the stands or even using the MVP arm of his and giving our "top quality" receivers a chance to go get the ball.

Ok..so to protect his stats, he decides on a sack than tossing to a open WR?

What was the int toss to Jones? That wasnt a sure thing..

I think your opinion is way off, as he has tossed many times this year that wasnt a sure thing...but if that is what you see, can't argue with you on it

PFanCan

Reaction score
Ok..so to protect his stats, he decides on a sack than tossing to a open WR?

What was the int toss to Jones? That wasnt a sure thing..

I think your opinion is way off, as he has tossed many times this year that wasnt a sure thing...but if that is what you see, can't argue with you on it

LT, I was not clear on my last post. I was not any longer trying to support my earlier comment regarding Rodgers and his stats. Instead I rewrote the earlier sentence by removing my supposition and replaced it with other text.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Randall Cobb, James Jones, Alex Green, Erik Walden, Nick Perry, Mike Neal, Casey Hayward

Duds: Refs, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Mike McCarthy, Crabtree, Crosby, Dom Capers

It's weird. Some games Cobb looks like an All-Pro. Others he dissapears, or isn't played. Nick Perry looked great today in his pass rush. Still has to improve in his Pass defending and surprisingly today, run blocking. Mike Neal looked fresh, going against bodies that had been worn down for 4 weeks. Casey Hayward looks great, we just have to continue to bring him along slow.

Even though he doesn't play for the Packers, shout out to Reggie Wayne. He played like something mean today.

The Refs. Damn. I know every team says they never get calls to go their way. But have you ever seen a team get so many crucial calls go against them through 5 weeks? It's ridiculous. Woodson and Tramon could not cover Wayne to save their lives. Whether that was they weren't performing, or Wayne just played that good, I'm not sure. Aaron Rodgers simply put, is not playing like an MVP. He's gotta get rid of the ball sometimes. I don't care what he does with it. But nothing good ever happened to a quarterback that sat in the pocket 5-10 seconds. Jordy has dissapeared for half the season. Just *gone* And the big plays we were so accustomed to seeing last year, aren't there. He's not getting seperation from the DB's. McCarthy's play calling has... puzzled me the past few weeks. Crabtree didn't look like the blocker we were used to seeing him be. Freeney and Mathis aren't that good coming out of their linebacker positions. Crosby. Ahh. Have I been dieing to bring him up. Before you guys go run him out of town here are a few stats:

Crosby's career FG percentage- 80.0%. Not adjusted to today yet. Which ranks him around 34th all-time, if he were to retire yesterday. 34th all-time!!!
48.1% of kicks 50+. For reference Morten Anderen, considered by most to be the best kicker of all time is 47.6% in that stat. Morten Andersen didn't have to kick every winter on the Frozen Tundra either.
Has averaged 4th in points scored throughout his career.
111 touchbacks.
I would give you situational stats for his career to show you he is in fact, NOT a choker but nfl.com doesn't allow me to see situational stats for a career. And really guys, would you rather go back to the Dave Rayner days? -_-

The defensive "genius" Dom Capers has looked incredibly mediocre his past 2 years. He has the talent this year. And going against all these rookie quarterbacks, I thought this would be his chance to finally put it together. Supongo que no. One of the announcers said today he thought Dom would get another head coaching job soon. I couldn't believe it! Really, after the way he's performed the past 2 years to give the man a promotion? On a seperate note, under his term all his defenses have stalled midway through his tenure and struggled. Can't say it won't be the same case with this team. He still has a beautiful opportunity to change things around though.

Whew, really long post. Lol could of made this into a thread.. Let me know what you think guys, and what you agree/disagree on me with.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's weird. Some games Cobb looks like an All-Pro. Others he dissapears, or isn't played. Nick Perry looked great today in his pass rush.

I'm not sure its so weird for Cobb to be up and down. He's 4th in depth after all. Not having Jennings hurt a lot. Also the penalty on Agent P on that sack was BS.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure its so weird for Cobb to be up and down. He's 4th in depth after all. Not having Jennings hurt a lot. Also the penalty on Agent P on that sack was BS.
Yeah. Perry clearly hit his shoulder and then Luck kind of ducked his head at the last second. Stupid call.

4th on the depth chart? Yes. But Jennings has been injured a lot. And Cobb still gets work on ST's and out of the backfield to keep him fresh. But I hear where you're coming from.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Cobb has run the ball twice this season with both runs going over 20 yards.

Apparently, this isn't good enough for McCarthy as we haven't seen Cobb get any touches out of the backfield for a while.

12theTruth

Stud No one.. however Walden and Neal looked pretty good out there. Cobb on offense did pretty good not quite a stud though

Duds Everyone but the biggest were Crosby, Saturday, Rodgers, Woodson, Burnett, CJ Wilson, Pickett.

Well the biggest positive at this point appears that we have a good chance at Top 15 draft pick next year.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for real.... what the hell happened out there today?

They just didn't show up after halftime.... and the Colts never gave up.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cobb has run the ball twice this season with both runs going over 20 yards.

Apparently, this isn't good enough for McCarthy as we haven't seen Cobb get any touches out of the backfield for a while.
I would be careful about that. RC isn't a RB. He's not built to take that kind of pounding too often.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Clay Matthews - plays with passion every snap. You can definitely see the difference when he is healthy.

James Jones - does he have a problem with Jennings or what? Ever since GJ has been out, JJ is serviceable.

Benson - Had a great first half before his injury.

Duds:

Jeff Saturday - getting blown up regularly, didnt expect this from him considering his history.

Jerdroppal Finley - enough is enough....come next yr...baa bye.

Mason Crosby - missed 2 in a dome. we needed either of them. Ryan Longwell IS available!

Aaron Rodgers - 7 to 10 seconds of protection is enough. Get rid of the ball!

Mike McCarthy - relying on this lateral passing game is easy to defend when you call it 6 times in a row.
He is really stinking it up this year on his play calling.

DJ Smith - constantly out of position on running plays, taking bad angles and not reading gaps very well.

Okkkaaaayyyy....injuries aside, this team is underachieving, and seems to have lost its swagger. A lot of people keep saying we still have our division to win. I don't know the way they have been playing - whomever has Rodgers in practice, they need to put the 3 second clock and alarm blaring so he understands it and gets his rhythm back into sync. I fully expect the D to start improving within the next 2 games. Truly the offense is starting to hang the D out to dry. If they can start moving the ball and keeping it longer, you will see their season turn around, if not, its 7-9.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if your receivers are covered, or they just can't catch the ball, and you're getting pressure from the defense, where's the screen pass? Line Cobb up in the backfield and throw a screen if your RB is out with an injury. I can't for the life of me understand why we aren't running ANY screens.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Pissed off is the only words that could politely describe me after the game. We had a TON of duds on the field today.
The only real studs on the field were Luck and Wayne.
How in the hell do you let Wayne be open so damn often? Really...200+ rec. yards......Luck was looking like a salty veteran. Woodson got burned so often that he should be in the intensive care unit at the local hospital.

Just an overall poor performance. Rodgers was inaccurate to many times with VERY over thrown balls. Our WR's look like they just gave up on the idea of getting open, just jogging down field....what a joke. Our defense was sluggish and couldn't pursue off the edge or keep outside containment AT ALL.

We are going to get our *** kicked in Houston. I'm betting on a 35+ point output from Houston, their running game is outright nasty and their defense is lights out.

2 - 4 here we come.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Almost forgot: BIGGEST DUD = Mason crosby. Inside a dome, no wind and major misses.....what a joke. I wouldn't be so pissed if they had just barely missed or banged off the upright post.....but c'mon....wide by 30 feet+....WTF MAN????

Latest posts