Studs n duds Seattle

D

Deleted member 6794

Ya know, Randall gave up 0 catches on I seem to recall was 5 targets in week 1. Against Seattle, I can't recall if they even threw at him. Captain...can we get a 2-fer?

Randall only played 14 snaps vs. the Seahawks and was targeted only once, not allowing Kearse to catch the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that some people get hung up on draft position, but who cares. They are on the 53 and are on the fringe because they haven't produced as of yet. They currently get playing time and are still important in terms of whether they contribute to our successes or failures.

Neal has played 70% and Perry 46% of the defensive snaps so far this season, hardly what I consider players on the fringe.

H

HardRightEdge

Neal has played 70% and Perry 46% of the defensive snaps so far this season, hardly what I consider players on the fringe.
Whatever one wants to say about these guys, they hold the edge very well in the run game. I like Neal better than Perry in the pass rush.

H

HardRightEdge

The Chiefs ranked 20th in the league last season in blitz percentage at 27.8%. Pretty close to the Seahawks (24th, 23.3%).
That's good news. The other news is they probably don't blitz much because of their edge rushers.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, the season started with two of the front seven on suspension and continued with more on IR, plus Boyd out yesterday. Sarcasm alert, but if you can walk and play DLine or LB, you'll probably get a bunch of snaps, even fringe players.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it pleases you Captain, I'll change the term from "fringe" to "mediocre." It doesn't matter. They both played better than they've played in a long time.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great game by everybody. Solid game on offense, defense and special teams.

Super Studs
  • BJ Raji - Somebody found the 2011 version of BJ Raji. He dominated the line of scrimmage.
  • Aaron Rodgers - Amazing as always
  • Tom Clements - Didn't panic with a late lead and gave Starks 20 carries!

H

HardRightEdge

He has played 75 defensive snaps over the first two games, 50 of them were in pass coverage.
I think I remember that Kearse ball now...it was a deep right sideline ball fairly early in the game, I think, where Randall was inside and behind Kearse with the receiver running up his back. Nice play.

So, if I recall the game 1 stats correctly, that's 6 targets on 50 pass plays with 0 catches surrendered. Without going through the all-22 tape focusing only on him, it's hard to tell how much safety help he's getting. Regardless, those are impressive stats. I look forward to seeing what he can do against the better pitch-and-catch combos.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Carroll's whining - couldn't agree more. How can he ***** about 12 men on the field - the replay clearly showed it. And good points about the fumble PFanCan. contrast the BS he said about the fumble to what he said about the fail Mary play.

Good point. The BS and the cheerleading from carroll after the horrific call which just about everyone thought was an int. was insufferable. I'm not hearing any controversy about the fumble.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So, if I recall the game 1 stats correctly, that's 6 targets on 50 pass plays with 0 catches surrendered. Without going through the all-22 tape focusing only on him, it's hard to tell how much safety help he's getting. Regardless, those are impressive stats. I look forward to seeing what he can do against the better pitch-and-catch combos.
McGinn had him with 61 snaps against the Bears and wrote 'he did OK'. Of course a big INT would be great but he's quietly having a good start to his career - I haven't noticed him once in a bad way and that's saying something for a rookie DB. Thompson may have hit on his first, first-round CB, but it is early.

Aside: Does anyone have a theory why Jimmy Graham was only targeted twice? They gave up a very good OC (who they missed last night BTW) and a first round pick for him (they also received a fourth rounder from the Saints). I'm glad they ignored him, I just can't for the life of me figure why.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Aside: Does anyone have a theory why Jimmy Graham was only targeted twice? They gave up a very good OC (who they missed last night BTW) and a first round pick for him (they also received a fourth rounder from the Saints). I'm glad they ignored him, I just can't for the life of me figure why.

At one point, Collinsworth mentioned that Hyde was doing a good job covering Graham. But, other than that, IDK. Hard to imagine that a 6'7" receiver wasn't open more often when covered by a 6'0" defender...

Also mentioned was that on the Seahawks, adjusting one's routes to match a scrambling Wilson is a different play style to what Graham is probably used to (i.e. pocket passer Brees throwing from a pre-defined spot to a pre-defined spot).

Just thoughts.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense absolutely sucked in the NFCCG. Not tonight.
The seahawks didn't score on the defense until two minutes were left in the 4th quarter and had four (or five, I can't recall) turnovers. They weren't the reason that game was lost, it was no killer instinct by the coach.

H

HardRightEdge

McGinn had him with 61 snaps against the Bears and wrote 'he did OK'.
He recorded one tackle in those 61 snaps. With Forte in the second level all day, one might have expected him to put his nose into it more often. No tackles against Seattle.

H

HardRightEdge

The seahawks didn't score on the defense until two minutes were left in the 4th quarter and had four (or five, I can't recall) turnovers. They weren't the reason that game was lost, it was no killer instinct by the coach.
It's all about finishing, last night being an example.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One disturbing thing. Wilson goes back to pass, he has pretty much all day to find somebody. It seemed like every time Rogers went back, he ended up running to avoid a sack. Now granted with Lacy out, Seattle was blitzing a lot more than they normally would.

Seattle didn't blitz much last night, if at all.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle didn't blitz much last night, if at all.
Right. Seattle's 4 man rush was giving our tackles fits. Rogers again showed why he is the best qb in the game by avoiding the pressure and finding receivers time and time again.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one else thought that Palmer looked a lot better in coverage than any of our ILBs have been in a while. I'd say it was just because they were playing a team without much receiver talent, but Jimmy Graham is supposed to be pretty good, right?

I wonder if our MO this year is gonna be that we can deal with big, downhill runners because our dline is pretty good and our safeties and ILBs can fill running straight ahead, but we'll have trouble with shifty guys who can run outside and cut back because our safeties and ILBs aren't that good at breaking down and aren't that athletic. In a sample size of two, that's the way it seems to me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one else thought that Palmer looked a lot better in coverage than any of our ILBs have been in a while. I'd say it was just because they were playing a team without much receiver talent, but Jimmy Graham is supposed to be pretty good, right?

I wonder if our MO this year is gonna be that we can deal with big, downhill runners because our dline is pretty good and our safeties and ILBs can fill running straight ahead, but we'll have trouble with shifty guys who can run outside and cut back because our safeties and ILBs aren't that good at breaking down and aren't that athletic. In a sample size of two, that's the way it seems to me.

Agreed. Palmer was better in coverage than Barrington.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol I've never seen Daytone Jones and Nick Perry both listed as studs. Two guys taken in the first round on defense finally doing something.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts