Studs n duds Seattle

D

Deleted member 6794

Most studs already mentioned but IMO Barclay in particular should be singled out as a stud - consider how far he's come from the first preseason game. The KOR team was excellent tonight - excellent!

It was a great effort by the entire team and coaching staff. The offensive tackles have to improve in pass blocking though, they're fortunate Rodgers is that mobile. According to PFF Barclay allowed a total of 10 QB hurries and Bakhtiari was responsible for both sacks and another seven hurries.

Last edited by a moderator:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
... Seattle was blitzing a lot more than they normally would.
I don't think Seattle blitzed much, if at all. I saw a lot of 4 man rushes last night from them. Pretty vanilla stuff. They don't need to get fancy to be good.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of my general knocks on AR is that i sometimes dont feel like he's great at rising to the big occasion of a "need to score" drive. But he did a great job tonight leading those final 2 scoring drives, especially when they were having a tough time getting things going offensively outside of the false start plays.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great game all around, hard to find a dud other than those ankles...

It was a great game all around but the duds are easy to find from last night. They played the Tackle spots. We're lucky Rodgers is so mobile. He was under pressure from the outside all night

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Dud: Pete Carroll. For his incessant whining.

First off, he was shown *****ing while chawing his ***-o-gum after the penalty for having 12 men on the field. Now, maybe he was yacking about something else, but from the broadcast, it seemed as if he was arguing whether his 12 guys actually only added up to 11 somehow. Maybe West Coast math? IDK, but he came away from that episode not looking good.

Then, his post game whine about the fumble recovery that was awarded to the Packers, even though his guy came away from that monster monkey-pile with the ball about five minutes after that play ended. Here is what he is quoted in saying:

"I don't know what the heck happened," Carroll said. "I'm going to say it out loud here about this fumble thing. When ... there's a big pileup, we're trying to get that football... Somewhere in there, the officials said that they declared that it was down, that they had the ball. Nobody pointed. Nobody told us that. So we kept battling, and we have the football. I don't really understand that very well.... we want to walk away from those piles with it, and we did. We just didn't get it..."

Huh? Did he actually say anything of substance in that rant? I don't think so.

Then, the guy who came out of the pile with the ball (Justin Britt) was reported to have said this:

Britt said he wrestled the ball away from Elliott before the officials declared the Packers had possession.

Uh, ok. So, Britt is admitting that Elliot had the ball while on the ground. Hmmm... Then, he said this:

"I pulled the tip and pulled it away. I walked away with it. Explain to me how that's their ball."

It's probably in the rule book somewhere. Something about being on the ground with the ball.

Anyhow, that's my dud.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Semi Stud: Datone Jones. I saw some life un him and he did a few food plays.

Raji looked awesome, but then again he was playing against a player making his first start.

A lot to be excited about.

Dud. Pete Carroll. Shut the hell up you little bitckh. Yelling at the refs when you are clearly wrong makes you look like an ***.

Anyone who.says the hawls recovered the fumble. If the hawks recovered it, why are the 3 Hawks frantically grabbing under Elliott for the first few seconds and Elliott remains motionless? Elliot was not struggling because he had the ball. Hawks were struggling because they didnt.
The best one was *****ing about having 12 men on the field, i guess he thinks they photoshopped an extra player on there? The guy is a class a d-bag that happens to be able to coach. He's nothing more than Jim Schwartz with some coaching talent.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It was a great effort by the entire team and coaching staff. The offensive tackles have to improve in pass blocking though, they're fortunate Rodgers is that mobile. According to PFF Barclay allowed a total of 10 QB hurries and Bakhtiari was responsible for both sacks and another seven hurries.
My expectations for Barclay were low and I do think it matters who a player is playing against regarding expectations and evaluation. On plays where he kept himself between the DL and Rodgers I score that as a win, even if PFF calls it a hurry. Yes Rodgers is mobile but he was only sacked twice - against that DL with Barclay starting at RT that exceeded my expectations.

And again, the KOR team was great - Seattle averaged less than 20 yards per return. They gave up one long PR but even so, if Zook keeps this up...

Regarding Carroll's whining - couldn't agree more. How can he ***** about 12 men on the field - the replay clearly showed it. And good points about the fumble PFanCan. contrast the BS he said about the fumble to what he said about the fail Mary play.

Last edited:

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

James Starks for stepping up, despite a potentially costly fumble. He may well have to step in for 1-2 weeks if they play cautious with Lacy, so he'll have to keep his hands tight on that ball.

Aaron Rodgers for a quick first strike and utilizing that amazing hard count. Seriously, the hard count is what won us this game- without it we probably don't win.

Jayrone Elliott for two great defensive plays that helped seal the deal, hoping he makes this a trend!

Duds:

Pretty much the entire offensive line, yes there were some late adjustments but for the majority of the game they looked lost and couldn't do anything against a non-blitzing Seattle defense that is suspect at best right now. We also didn't look overly impressive offensively against a bad Bears defense, so the Green Bay O has me slightly concerned- but we'll see what happens going forward.

Offensive playcalling- maybe Seattle's secondary was just playing that sticky, I don't know, but I got tired of seeing all the check down plays. We're supposed to be a juggernaut offense, not a play it safe offense that plays for field position.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the check downs are exactly what we needed. It's where Seattle is vulnerable. Rodgers hit on big plays when they presented themselves rather than trying to push it all the time, which is boom or bust. Our D doesn't need 3 and outs from our offense. Big plays can be demoralizing, even more so when you've been driven on the length of the field a few times and dinked and dunked for 1st downs all game. and with our Oline (tackles) playing like the did in pass protection, longer developing plays could have been disasterous

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Offensive playcalling- maybe Seattle's secondary was just playing that sticky, I don't know, but I got tired of seeing all the check down plays. We're supposed to be a juggernaut offense, not a play it safe offense that plays for field position.

I cant even begin to say how much I disagree with this take. The Packers running backs went for over 100 yards with their Pro Bowl back on the shelf for most of the game. Their averaged 10 yards per completion and 7.5 per attempt which would be even higher if you count the 40 plus they got on the pass interference call. They won time of possession.

This is the type of offense that beats Seattle. Patient. Take what they give you and capitalize on your chances. They put up 27 with having to settle for a short field goal at the end of the half and only punted 3 times. Not sure what there is to complain about there

D

Deleted member 6794

One of my general knocks on AR is that i sometimes dont feel like he's great at rising to the big occasion of a "need to score" drive. But he did a great job tonight leading those final 2 scoring drives, especially when they were having a tough time getting things going offensively outside of the false start plays.

Since Rodgers became the starter he leads all QBs in passer rating during the fourth quarter. Because of his lack of gourth quarter comebacks some people think he isn't as efficient late in games but it's bogus.

My expectations for Barclay were low and I do think it matters who a player is playing against regarding expectations and evaluation. On plays where he kept himself between the DL and Rodgers I score that as a win, even if PFF calls it a hurry. Yes Rodgers is mobile but he was only sacked twice - against that DL with Barclay starting at RT that exceeded my expectations.

The reason Rodgers was only sacked twice is because he was able to get away from the pressure, not because of pass protection. Barclay going up against Justin Houston has me worried.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant even begin to say how much I disagree with this take. The Packers running backs went for over 100 yards with their Pro Bowl back on the shelf for most of the game. Their averaged 10 yards per completion and 7.5 per attempt which would be even higher if you count the 40 plus they got on the pass interference call. They won time of possession.

This is the type of offense that beats Seattle. Patient. Take what they give you and capitalize on your chances. They put up 27 with having to settle for a short field goal at the end of the half and only punted 3 times. Not sure what there is to complain about there
I agree. Some people seemingly dismiss the idea that the other team is comprised of great athletes and coaches who have dedicated their lives to winning football games too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best one was *****ing about having 12 men on the field, i guess he thinks they photoshopped an extra player on there? The guy is a class a d-bag that happens to be able to coach. He's nothing more than Jim Schwartz with some coaching talent.
Stud: Mike McCarthy. Seeing an embarrassing ****** like Carroll makes me appreciate what a class act MM is. When we truly got robbed in the fail mary against Carroll, I didnt hear MM ***** an iota. In fact, he called the ref and wished him well and told him he was sorry for all the grief he was put through.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The reason Rodgers was only sacked twice is because he was able to get away from the pressure, not because of pass protection. Barclay going up against Justin Houston has me worried.
It has me worried too, but one potential disaster at a time. Here's what Rodney at Packers Notes had to say about Barclay in a post titled "Backups Save the Day":
I’ll have to closely re-watch the game to see how right tackle Don Barclay fared in place of Bryan Bulaga, but I don’t need to look at the tape to know he wasn’t a disaster. Sure Rodgers’ mobility saved Barclay a number of times, but the scrappy former undrafted free agent at least made Michael Bennett work to get near the QB. That was a huge improvement from the preseason, when Barclay was either whiffing or getting driven straight back by much lesser players.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/09/backups-save-the-day/
Look at the TD to RRodgers to take the lead in the fourth quarter. Seattle goes with a three man rush and both OTs stay between the rushers and Rodgers as they work their way to where Rodgers was in the pocket. Rodgers steps forward in the pocket and then to his left. That's certainly not a great play by Barclay but again, look how far he's come from preseason.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- Rodgers was his usual inhuman self. What a mastery of the position.
Montgomery stepped up.
Richard Rodgers is rounding into a fine player.
Good work by Dom Capers and the defense.

Duds- The Oline , especially the tackles. A little shaky, fellas.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is from Pete Dougherty's 4 Downs:
The Packers' kick and punt coverage teams had an excellent night against Seattle’s dynamic rookie return man, Tyler Lockett, a third-round pick from Kansas State. In the Seahawks’ opener against St. Louis last week, Lockett had a 57-yard punt return for a touchdown and averaged 28 yards on two kickoff returns. But the Packers held Lockett to an average of only 19.8 yards on four kickoff returns — Mason Crosby also kicked three touchbacks — and the Seahawks’ starting points were their own 10, 13, 18 and 16. Lockett also averaged only 8.5 yards on two punt returns, and punter Tim Masthay’s net average on three punts was 39 yards.
I'm not sure about the punt return stats quoted. Lockett returned the first Packers punt of the game 22 yards. The jsonline box score lists 2 punt returns for 22 yards... still not bad considering what Lockett's potential looks like. Most impressive is the starting position after KOs the Seahawks "enjoyed". That was a big help to the defense.

Dougherty had this to say about the OTs:
The Seahawks’ defensive front was as good as advertised, and Packers tackles David Bakhtiari and Don Barclay had their hands full all night. Michael Bennett, the Seahawks’ most disruptive defensive lineman, and Bruce Irvin, their most explosive outside rusher, each beat Bakhtiari for a sack. Barclay gave up a couple of pressures but appeared to do a credible job playing in place of injured Bryan Bulaga...
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...1/4-downs-dougherty-packers-big-win/72549110/

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a rare shout-out: Nick Perry. He saved a possible Lynch TD with a shoestring tackle in the open field and he had a few other nice plays, as well, including getting Wilson. He gets some hard-earned some love.
There have been two minor mentions of Nick Perry and a deleted "stud" vote for Mike Neal. IMO - both of those guys had the best games of their careers. There were plenty of stars to gush about, but if our defense is truly going to get better, it's got to come from these fringe type of players. The Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnetts of the world will play well regardless. When these fringe guys play up to potential, then we become a much more solid unit.

Perry and Neal definitely earned my praise for their efforts. I bet all of us are a bit skeptical that they can repeat their performances, but I truly hope that they do. It will make all the difference in the long run for another title.

H

HardRightEdge

H

HardRightEdge

Ya know, Randall gave up 0 catches on I seem to recall was 5 targets in week 1. Against Seattle, I can't recall if they even threw at him. Captain...can we get a 2-fer?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KC didn't blitz Manning much on TNF. But they got to him a few times with outside pressure. The inside of the Chiefs D can be ran on.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya know, Randall gave up 0 catches on I seem to recall was 5 targets in week 1. Against Seattle, I can't recall if they even threw at him. Captain...can we get a 2-fer?

I recall one throw in Randall's direction that he deflected against Seattle. He was covering Kearse down the sideline about 15 yards on the play.

D

Deleted member 6794

There have been two minor mentions of Nick Perry and a deleted "stud" vote for Mike Neal. IMO - both of those guys had the best games of their careers. There were plenty of stars to gush about, but if our defense is truly going to get better, it's got to come from these fringe type of players. The Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnetts of the world will play well regardless. When these fringe guys play up to potential, then we become a much more solid unit.

Perry and Neal definitely earned my praise for their efforts. I bet all of us are a bit skeptical that they can repeat their performances, but I truly hope that they do. It will make all the difference in the long run for another title.

Neal was pretty effective defending the run but didn't offer anything rushing the passer. Perry didn't do anything special. With one of them being a first-rounder and the other a second-round pick I don't consider either of them a fringe player.

Barclay had the distinct advantage of on the right side where Rodgers could find his escape routes. Against a blitzing team, it won't look so easy. Dunno if KC is a blitz-heavy team, but I'm sure the Captain can tell us. ;) If that's the case, Rodgers is going to have to go to quick throws to slow them down.

The Chiefs ranked 20th in the league last season in blitz percentage at 27.8%. Pretty close to the Seahawks (24th, 23.3%).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that some people get hung up on draft position, but who cares. They are on the 53 and are on the fringe because they haven't produced as of yet. They currently get playing time and are still important in terms of whether they contribute to our successes or failures.

Staff online

Latest posts