Studs n Duds Packers vs Falcons:Back on Horse Edition

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the pass fell incomplete the clock would have stopped, or worse it could have been intercepted.
I was afraid he was going to pass.
And you know when you pass 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad.
The majority of you don't have to agree with me that Flynn should have thrown the ball on the Packers last drive but was I the only one around here who was nervous and on pins and needles?
If Bush hadn't saved the day then would the Falcons have been close enough to try for the FG if the Falcons had caught it?
It was just getting too close for comfort for me. Anyone else?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Agree FF, that was an edge of your seat type game for sure. I kinda felt like I was there...after it was over, my voice was all raspy from yelling at the TV.

Still...... WAY to many missed opportunities, missed tackles and hesitations. Someone please give me a valid reason as to why Brad Jones gets paid to play on this team? He missed several tackles (complete wiffs), he missed the opportunity to get an INT twice and he was guilty of committing a dumb penalty......C'mon, you know who tony gonzalez is, dont hug the damn guy and expect to get away with it.

The refs tried their hardest to break us off too. There was a blatant block in the back that happened to us on a kick return that also happened right in front of the ref that never got called. Our WR's were getting mugged hard with no calls. The no call on the falcons for hitting flynn like they did???? C'mon....if that was Brady they would have thrown every flag at once. The damn guy left his feet to hit Flynn, that is called "launching" and is illegal. This game was a nail bitter fir sure, but if we expect to go down to Dallas and beat them in their own house (where they have a good record this season), we WILL need #12 back, no doubt on that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs

Flynn he made key passes to Quarless and others. When given time he was great.

Andrew Quarless. This kid finally broke out of his shell. He played great. Almost Finley like.

Johnny Jolly for recovering that Fumble. I loved the Crowd Chanting Jolly. That was awesome.

Lacy. Another reason why he is a beast. Hes a bull in a china shop.

Nelson money as always.

Crosby perfect on the day. Hes back from his slump.

Duds

O-Line. Almost no protection.

Cant think of any other Duds there were big and noticed.

P.S 100th POST!!!

I think Sean Richardson deserves a mention in the stud category. He only produced one tackle, but he really provided a physical presence in run support. The Dirty Birds only managed a 1.9 ypc after Richardson came in.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the opponent is on the goal line and your man is Tony Gonzalez, you probably shouldn't let him go free. I could be wrong, but it seems Gonzalez has something of a track record in catching TDs in those situations.

Burnett can't seen to get through a game without making a couple of bad decisions.
Absolutely. His forte seems to be chase and grab air at the last moment.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Bush nor House touched the punt. It was actually a good play by both to avoid it. If either touched it while part of their bodies were in the EZ it would have been a touchback. The Falcon picked it up and ran it to the 9 yard line.
Only time I yelled at the computer (streaming). Bush and House needed to slow down. The ball stopped and they continued on at full speed and dove past the ball. I understand they were preparing to bat the ball back in, but they needed to realize sooner that the ball had stopped.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Bush hadn't saved the day then would the Falcons have been close enough to try for the FG if the Falcons had caught it?

Bush intercepted the ball at the Packers 37, so if Douglas would have caught that ball it would have been a tough FG. But the Falcons wouldn´t have been able to get another play off (at least if the Packers would have been able to tackle Douglas in bounds).

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, you questioned cutting Ross. I didn't comment much on it because I was pretty much on the fence over it. But keep it humble because you did miss the call on Crosby :p
I would have cut Crosby last year 100%, on more than one occasion.
Yes, admitted.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Duds: The fans who booed the team off the field after the first half. Since when did Green Bay become Philadelphia Midwest?? :mad:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my addition to Mike being a dud:

Season on the line.
Packers have just one more chance to score or end the game by getting first downs.
And what does he do for all three downs?
Running plays only!!!!
3rd and 9 and not a pass?
What a dummy! (I was cursing up a storm at him.)
The defense is catching on to the run and he doesn't even want to try for first downs to dominate possession?
Mike had better give Bush a very, very generous Christmas present because Bush with that game saving interception might have saved Mike's job as a play caller.
(Which I'm beginning to agree with others that he shouldn't be doing anymore. That is, if those last plays were all on him.)

Passing in that situation could have been a complete disaster.

There were 44 seconds left when Atlanta took over and they needed to go at least 60 yards to win. You pass and it's incomplete, you add 40 seconds to that and Ryan has double the time, 1:24. Whole different ballgame. If it's intercepted and you lose, it's the most second-guessed call of the season.

I understand the mentality of wanting to play to win, but that's neither the time nor place. There's nothing wrong with Mike calling run-run-run in that situation. You're playing the clock game at that point. You run another 40 seconds off, punt it away, and count on your defense being able to simply prevent the opposition from going 60 yards in 45 seconds with no timeouts. I'll take those odds.

It was absolutely the right call to run. In fact, good chance we might not be talking about a win today if they don't. No reason for Ryan to try to force it in to coverage on that 3rd and 10 if there were 40 more seconds on the clock.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood why people get so uptight about the booing. Just like you'll have players on a team get frustrated and vent after a loss, of course you're going to have SOME fans in a group of nearly 80,000 who start to get frustrated after 5 straight winless weeks and a poor half. Just the way it is. Asking them not to boo is asking a group of 80,000 heavily invested fans not to show any negative emotion about the team. Just not realistic. For any team. You can't show me one team in the 32 team NFL that has never booed their team.

I'd rather have fans that obviously care than have half a stadium in Jacksonville show no more emotion one way or another because they simply don't care. They played much better in the 2nd half, so whatever it takes to light that fire again.

Cheering an injury, much different story. That's where the line should be drawn.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood why people get so uptight about the booing. Just like you'll have players on a team get frustrated and vent after a loss, of course you're going to have SOME fans in a group of nearly 80,000 who start to get frustrated after 5 straight winless weeks and a poor half. Just the way it is. Asking them not to boo is asking a group of 80,000 heavily invested fans not to show any negative emotion about the team. Just not realistic. For any team. You can't show me one team in the 32 team NFL that has never booed their team.

I'd rather have fans that obviously care than have half a stadium in Jacksonville show no more emotion one way or another because they simply don't care. They played much better in the 2nd half, so whatever it takes to light that fire again.

Cheering an injury, much different story. That's where the line should be drawn.
Agree. The Packer fans are among the most knowledgeable in the League. They know bad football when they see it. I didn't think their boos were out of place.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

If a fan is "heavily invested" that fan should know that booing their own team at half time doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the players. They depend on "home field" advantage; ie. fans who will be the 12th man. Booing your own team is bad form, just plain bad form. It's one thing for players to get upset at themselves and each other because they are actually *playing* the game. The fan's job is to give them support, not tear them down.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
If a fan is "heavily invested" that fan should know that booing their own team at half time doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the players. They depend on "home field" advantage; ie. fans who will be the 12th man. Booing your own team is bad form, just plain bad form. It's one thing for players to get upset at themselves and each other because they are actually *playing* the game. The fan's job is to give them support, not tear them down.
On the other hand, if a fan held a sign saying "Newhouse for MVP" I think that the players would think that the fans were idiots. Not booing this team, over the last few games, is really nothing more than rational.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Did anyone mention AJ Hawk's chin strap yet?
what...wait...did I miss something? Would Hawk's chin strap classify as a stud or a dud this week?!?!

If I saw the game correctly, its definitely a stud this week! :D

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's your opinion. To some players, the negative emotion might be motivating. Not every player is going to respond positively to the "don't worry guys, its going to be okay" fan approach after 5 weeks of which it is clearly not okay.

In any event, again, you have 80,000 fans. Asking restraint from all is unrealistic. They paid and they aren't obligated to restrain all emotion as long as they adhere to the stadium code of conduct. Its just part of sports. Sorry, but no team has, or ever was, above it. Some fans are much more restrained than fans like Philly and New York, and I believe we fall into that more restrained category. I don't hold some sort of false illusion that we should realistically expect a crowd of 80,000 people to either cheer or remain silent when losing 21-10 at home against a 3 win team during an already existing 5 game winless streak.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans pay good money to go watch their team play, and some sit in the horrible weather to do so..if the team is sucking the fans have every right to boo. Most players will admit that they would boo themselves to if they suck.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Yes, you questioned cutting Ross. I didn't comment much on it because I was pretty much on the fence over it. But keep it humble because you did miss the call on Crosby :p

I support cutting Ross, maybe he is doing great cause the Lions staff is doing a better job at coaching him to avoid drops. Maybe he took motivation to improve. Either way I didn't feel he had what it takes to fill in Cobb's shoes

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Ross's small dose of success in the past 2 games is fluke-ish at best. He burned a very crappy packers secondary....well, who hasnt? He ran back a kick return vs the eagles in 6+ inches of snow....c'mon gimmie a break......all that slipping and sliding and what not....that was pure luck. He will show his true colors sooner than later with the Lions. He might be looking for another job come next season. He aint that damn good.....below average at best.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
If you could get a player that would guarantee you two kick off returns and a punt return for an ENTIRE SEASON, you'd sign him. Was way too early to let him go, especially when you take our depleted WR corps into account. I'd take a fluke over half of the proven busts we have

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you could get a player that would guarantee you two kick off returns and a punt return for an ENTIRE SEASON, you'd sign him. Was way too early to let him go, especially when you take our depleted WR corps into account. I'd take a fluke over half of the proven busts we have

Yep cus i like Hyde but he's not a very good kick returner at all. His average is near the bottom of the league.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts