Studs n Duds atlanta

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense looked good.. To say they had a slow second half when the put up 40 points tells you how bad the defense truly was.

Duds- the entire second half defense. With how they play it'll be a short ban for me once the playoffs start because it'll be an early exit against a good team! Frauds, posers, inconsistent...call it what you want I don't sugarcoat the truth! they will be the reason we get beat!! And not go to the SB!! A dome team ran us up and down the field! A dome team with 1 semi healthy wr .

Reaction score
Studs: not surprising Rodgers and Jordy. I'll also give a shout out to James Starks.
Duds: the secondary. They were tremendous last week but they were total duds tonight, particularly the second half

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense was pathetic. Peppers wasMIA. That experiment can now be called a failure. No pass rush at all. Daniels and Neal were terrible no push at all. The rest of the league is salivating to face the Packers pathetic defense. One and done again.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the offense...Studs of course.

Second half pass Defense a dud obviously.

Strange turnaround. Since we were good agaisnt better offenses in the Pats and Eagles and were good in the first half, I bet it's an anomaly though. We know the defense is capable of playing a lot better than it did.

Plus, if it was a close game, the Falcons wouldn't have gone for it on 4th down three times, which all lead to touchdowns. Those are stops or FGs in a closer game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense was pathetic. Peppers wasMIA. That experiment can now be called a failure. No pass rush at all. Daniels and Neal were terrible no push at all. The rest of the league is salivating to face the Packers pathetic defense. One and done again.

Forgot about last week already I see.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgot about last week already I see.
No pass rush and not covering anybody won't be forgotten by the rest of the league. Atlanta just torched this team. Any time the Packers face a first rate receiver they are in trouble. Sammy Watkins can look forward to a career game next week.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No pass rush and not covering anybody won't be forgotten by the rest of the league. Atlanta just torched this team. Any time the Packers face a first rate receiver they are in trouble. Sammy Watkins can look forward to a career game next week.

But the pass rush and good coverage from the week before will be forgotten by the rest of the league? They also know what the defense is capable of.

The rest of league won't only look at this game tape and make a plan, just like we shouldn't make conclusions based on one week.

Also, Orton to Watkins is nowhere near as good as Ryan to Julio.

H

HardRightEdge

The offense was studly once again; hard to find fault with anybody. While Atlanta's D looks well schemed and coached, that won't take you very far when there's a lack of talent on the field. They simply lack a pass rush and any play makers...you can't go very far without talent.

That Packers zone D scheme was really quite poor. There were a lot of gaping holes in the secondary in that rush 4 / drop 7 mess, and the 4 didn't get home enough to impact the game against a line that's gone 3 and 4 deep into the bench at several spots. This is an illustration of why I repeat each week what nobody wants to hear...this defense is not coherent and the blame lies with Capers.

Peppers may be running out of gas. B. Jones looked worse than Hawk has. I wanted to say House had a couple nice pass defenses against Jones but I'm sure I'd be reminded he gave up the wide open crosser TD to White. I think Guion had a decent game, but that's about it.

The run D was decent, but once again it was a game where the opponent was out of their game plan for most of the affair and Steven Jackson is not what he once was running behind a patchwork line.

A win is a win, but this one was not particularly satisfying.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Hester was contained. The kickoff and punt units (one punt) get a "stud".

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers. Once again on fire at home.
The receivers. Played great as usual.
Lacy & Starks. Not only running, but catching several passes, as well. 2TDs for Lacy and a good TD by Starks on the first drive. Also good job icing the game by Starks at the end.
Quarless. Several passes where he was able to pick up good yardage.
Special Teams containing Hester and making sure we recovered 2 onside kicks when Atlanta attempted them.

Duds:
Second half defense. Really struggled in the 2nd half.

Thoughts:
1. A win is a win
2. Sometimes after a tough, physical game (like the one we had with the Patriots) it isn't the easiest thing to respond. Glad we were able to secure the win tonight.
3. We handled Brady and Gronk (didn't even allow Gronk to get in the endzone) a week ago. I'm not going to put too much emphasis on the defense struggling in the second half. It happens.
4. Sometimes it is games like this when a team realizes what things to focus on. We are lucky, though. A lot of times that lesson comes with a loss.
5. All in all, great team win. And I can be called a "homer" but the facts don't lie. We started 1-2 and are now 10-3. Bad teams and "okay" teams don't pull that off. We are a very good football team right now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you still living off the hype of the Patriots game and the defense? Please keep in mind that our offense controlled that game and had the ball for a long time. When New England got in the red zone we didn't stop them from scoring touchdowns.

No one is being negative when you say a 400 pound man is obese right? Because he is obese. Just like when you call this defense fraudulent because they are fraudulent. Some if you with your Rose colored shades expect us realist to just jump on the bandwagon after a game or two of ok defense when they have stunk for yrs and are inconsistent? Yea not this guy, I'll be the first to give them credit when they perform like a SB contending defense but I'm also going to let them have it when they suck. I'm not wishywashy like that. If I'm "negative" at least I'm CONSISTENT... which they are not. I have no faith they can go on the road against a solid team and win so now in my mind they have to lock up home field and have the crowd behind them.
If the offense has an off day we are toast, I've said that all yeAr and that won't change my stance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously the offense played a great game, anytime you put 43 points it should be enough to win comfortably.

I really have no idea what happened with the defense in the second half. The unit played pretty well in the first half allowing only 7 points, 9 first downs and 161 total yards (although they already weren´t able to stop Julio Jones). In addition they had a turnover and could have gotten another one or two.

It´s possible the team came out overconfident after half time, expecting the Falcons to not show up for the second half anymore. Whatever the reason for it the secondary was terrible, plain and simple awful. It was pretty obvious Matt Ryan would try to get the ball to Jones on every single play yet the defense didn´t make any adjustments in how to cover him or double team him at some point. While our defensive backs made a lot of mistakes (I think House was the only guy covering Jones adequately) Capers has to be blamed as well because he didn´t shift the coverage to Jones.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUDS
Capers. Julio is up to a half mile in receiving (easier than counting in yards) and you have him single covered with no safety help by our #4 CB?!? I like House, but come on! everyone and their sister knew where the ball was going!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the offense...Studs of course.

Second half pass Defense a dud obviously.

Strange turnaround. Since we were good agaisnt better offenses in the Pats and Eagles and were good in the first half, I bet it's an anomaly though. We know the defense is capable of playing a lot better than it did.

Plus, if it was a close game, the Falcons wouldn't have gone for it on 4th down three times, which all lead to touchdowns. Those are stops or FGs in a closer game.

We played a completely different scheme throughout much of the second half. As the announcers noted we pretty stopped playing press coverage and used more of a zone scheme. Our corners excel at the former and suck at the latter.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DUDS
Capers. Julio is up to a half mile in receiving (easier than counting in yards) and you have him single covered with no safety help by our #4 CB?!? I like House, but come on! everyone and their sister knew where the ball was going!

House actually did a respectable job against him. Shields was getting scorched.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
House actually did a respectable job against him. Shields was getting scorched.
agreed, but I would still give him some help. Slide a safety over. Julio was getting more than 50% of the passes his way. 17 targets, how many throws did Ryan have up to Jones going out? Seemed about 50%.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
DUDS

Totally agreed. I was about to burst a vein in my neck when I saw that we had Julio lined up one-on-one versus House all alone on that half of the field.

Where is Ryan going to throw the ball? Duh... maybe to Julio?

My goodness.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Defense was pathetic. Peppers wasMIA. That experiment can now be called a failure.

I don't consider Peppers a failure this year. I think he has played quite well and has made some monster plays this season. Just not yesterday.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the D was trying some different schemes and personnel packages,or maybe they were just over confident after halftime. They were not getting any pressure on Ryan and he was in rhythm with his receivers. If they couldn't pressure him they should have done some bump and run with the WR's at the LOS to throw it off some. It was scary,kind of reminded me of the saints game when we didn't pressure brees. Maybe it was a fluke/wake up call because I do not believe this defense is this bad.

PFanCan

Reaction score
Totally agreed. I was about to burst a vein in my neck when I saw that we had Julio lined up one-on-one versus House all alone on that half of the field.

Where is Ryan going to throw the ball? Duh... maybe to Julio?

My goodness.

From the following SI article: http://www.si.com/2014/12/09/nfl-we...-football-aaron-rodgers-julio-jones-matt-ryan

"Still, there's a lot to fix if the Packers want to make it all the way to the Super Bowl, and that's on the defense. Inexplicably, Dom Capers and Green Bay's pass defense was unable to adjust to Jones' great play with the simplest of counters, such as putting a dedicated safety up top to bracket the receiver and give help to the poor souls who had to cover Jones one-on-one from the line of scrimmage."

Have to agree that this one lies with the Packer coaching staff for not adjusting as needed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We played a completely different scheme throughout much of the second half. As the announcers noted we pretty stopped playing press coverage and used more of a zone scheme. Our corners excel at the former and suck at the latter.
I hope Capers was using this as live-action training to help the DB's get better at zone, because at least that would give their horrible 2nd half performance a purpose. We'll need some practice double-covering stud WR's (Megatron, Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, Jones again (?))... why not practice THAT last night in the 2nd half?

Gotta wonder why we are STILL having contain issues (Ryan's scramble to the left where there was nobody within 15 yds of him when he started left).

Don't want to see that type of defensive complacency ever again... that's putting too much pressure on the offense to continue excelling.

Members online

Latest posts