Studs n Duds atlanta

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going to have to rewatch the game. My impression was we were getting lots of pressure. we didn't rack up sacks because Ryan was throwing quickly. I thought Capers blitzed the most this fgame this year.

Capers blitzed on only 24.4% of the plays, the lowest number since week 3 at Detroit.

D

Deleted member 6794

What's interesting is that Julio only went off in the second off.

Lack of energy or focus? A good adjustment by the Falcons and a poor one by us? Julio just getting better as the game when on? Could be any of those.

Jones already had 5 receptions for 100 yards in the first half.

D

Deleted member 6794

You think being ranked 26th in the league in total defense is solid? Wow, you must have the 3-D Rose colored glasses haha. No but seriously, they have at least been able to generate a turnover or two a game but they give up way to many free yards and they struggle stopping people in the red zone. We've done it...but rarely do they hold teams to three points once they get down there.

I don´t think yards allowed is a good indicator for a defense´s performance. The Packers are ranked 18th in points allowed and IMO reflects the talent level on defense pretty accurately.

If the defense plays up or close to their talent level we´ll be fine. I´m concerned what happens if the unit has an off day though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Capers was using this as live-action training to help the DB's get better at zone, because at least that would give their horrible 2nd half performance a purpose. We'll need some practice double-covering stud WR's (Megatron, Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, Jones again (?))... why not practice THAT last night in the 2nd half?

Gotta wonder why we are STILL having contain issues (Ryan's scramble to the left where there was nobody within 15 yds of him when he started left).

Don't want to see that type of defensive complacency ever again... that's putting too much pressure on the offense to continue excelling.

I hope so as well, the Zone scheme is useful against running quarterbacks if your defense can execute it. Unfortunately our's can't. Either our guys don't get it or our Coach's suck at teaching it. This is why our D has been a little Jekkyl and Hyde lately.

BTW is it possible that despite Hawk's declining play that his absence resulted in some of the defensive breakdowns? Monday night the communication between all three levels of defense was just horrific, perhaps AJs intangibles are more important than some acknowledge?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are overrating the Packers pathetic defense. Against good quarterbacks the defense has been shredded. Against the likes of Ponder, Bridgewater, cutler, Sanchez the D can get by with giving up 350 yds and 14-24 pts. But when playoff teams loom with good quarterbacks and stud receivers the defense gets exposed. The only reason why Brady didn't light the defense up with a 400 td effort was that Rodgers kept him off the field with incredible throws on 3rd down. Pass rush has been terrible was a capital TT. 2 sacks in the past 2 games is not getting it done. Other than the game against the Vikes at home, the pass rush is setting the secondary up for failure. Capets and McCarthy can't seem to adjust their defensive screens during the game. It seems that if they don't prepare during the week they won't trust their players to go to something that wasn't in the game plan. If defense wins championships then the Packers are mere pretenders. The Packers could play the Seahawks 10 times and lose all 10. The defense is just too slow and soft t o match up against a physical team.

Ten out of ten times? That is just a ridiculous statement. According to your statement regarding playing good QB's the Hawks haven't played an upper tier QB in 8 weeks where they lost to Romo and the Boys at home. In fact Philip Rivers got em pretty good and Manning took em to overtime at Seattle this year. That's hardly domination of good QB's.

And if anyone plays "Clock Hog" and "School Girl Offense" it's the Seahawks. Geez, Talk about inching it down the field and hoarding the ball.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are overrating the Packers pathetic defense. Against good quarterbacks the defense has been shredded. Against the likes of Ponder, Bridgewater, cutler, Sanchez the D can get by with giving up 350 yds and 14-24 pts. But when playoff teams loom with good quarterbacks and stud receivers the defense gets exposed. The only reason why Brady didn't light the defense up with a 400 td effort was that Rodgers kept him off the field with incredible throws on 3rd down. Pass rush has been terrible was a capital TT. 2 sacks in the past 2 games is not getting it done. Other than the game against the Vikes at home, the pass rush is setting the secondary up for failure. Capets and McCarthy can't seem to adjust their defensive screens during the game. It seems that if they don't prepare during the week they won't trust their players to go to something that wasn't in the game plan. If defense wins championships then the Packers are mere pretenders. The Packers could play the Seahawks 10 times and lose all 10. The defense is just too slow and soft t o match up against a physical team.

Pass rush was great vs. the Patriots. Sacks don't tell the whole story. Did you even watch that game?

They held Brady to 21 points and you complain about it. Sounds like you won't be happy with anything other than a shutout.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, yards versus points. The defense only allowed 7 points in the first half. They took a nap in the second and Sam Shields is still concussed. He played foggy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all save all this talk about the defense until they get Into the playoffs. I won't be here but I'm pretty sure that they will get exposed and then the "complaining "will start again, and the the "supporters" will find ways to defend them smh haha.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all save all this talk about the defense until they get Into the playoffs. I won't be here but I'm pretty sure that they will get exposed and then the "complaining "will start again, and the the "supporters" will find ways to defend them smh haha.

I think that's one of the problems. We are dividing ourselves into "complainers" and "supporters." There are 3 games left in this regular season and the playoffs are coming. We are witnessing a 10-3 team with one of the best offenses in recent history. Instead of separating ourselves and wondering about future weeks, playoffs etc., let's all remember that we are all Packer fans at the end of the day and support a team. We are witnessing history every week with future Hall of Famers. Let's look back on this time as enjoying being able to witness this team and not let this time go by debating things that haven't occurred yet. Debates will happen, of course, but let's not spend all of our time focusing on that and not enjoying what we are seeing. Go Pack Go!

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's one of the problems. We are dividing ourselves into "complainers" and "supporters." There are 3 games left in this regular season and the playoffs are coming. We are witnessing a 10-3 team with one of the best offenses in recent history. Instead of separating ourselves and wondering about future weeks, playoffs etc., let's all remember that we are all Packer fans at the end of the day and support a team. We are witnessing history every week with future Hall of Famers. Let's look back on this time as enjoying being able to witness this team and not let this time go by debating things that haven't occurred yet. Debates will happen, of course, but let's not spend all of our time focusing on that and not enjoying what we are seeing. Go Pack Go!
Nice post. 60's great/70's & 80's not good. Although some great games and interesting players/90's thru today great. The GB fan base has had many things to be happy about including the fact that they had 2 HOF QB's for the last 25 years. Most teams have gone through 5 or more.

My only negative comment is that TT should dip into the FA market more frequently. Outside of that, it has been and will continue to be a great experience watching GB with Rodgers at the helm.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
N
Ten out of ten times? That is just a ridiculous statement. According to your statement regarding playing good QB's the Hawks haven't played an upper tier QB in 8 weeks where they lost to Romo and the Boys at home. In fact Philip Rivers got em pretty good and Manning took em to overtime at Seattle this year. That's hardly domination of good QB's.

And if anyone plays "Clock Hog" and "School Girl Offense" it's the Seahawks. Geez, Talk about inching it down the field and hoarding the ball.Nobody fears the Packers defense its that simple. The defense is soft and slow. When a finesse team plays a physical team the physical team almost always wins that's why I don't think the Packers can compete with the Seahawks. Just watch last yeRs Super Bowl if you think a finesse team cn compete with the Seahawks

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass rush was great vs. the Patriots. Sacks don't tell the whole story. Did you even watch that game?

They held Brady to 21 points and you complain about it. Sounds like you won't be happy with anything other than a shutout.
Pass rush isn't the whole story but they are not getting shrinking the pocket. Ryan could step up into the pocket with ease. The Packers are only averAging 2.2 sacks per game. That's not getting it done! You bet I'm a complainer! I love hitting and tough defense and what I see out of the Packers is softness

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Overreacting after a bad "win"? Predicting doom and gloom and getting exposed for your favorite team that happens to be 10-3? That's just not like you, rodell330. You're usually so level-headed and rational.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass rush isn't the whole story but they are not getting shrinking the pocket. Ryan could step up into the pocket with ease. The Packers are only averAging 2.2 sacks per game. That's not getting it done! You bet I'm a complainer! I love hitting and tough defense and what I see out of the Packers is softness

We've already established the defense wasn't good yesterday. You're still ignoring that it's been solid 10/13 games though.

The Packers are:
  • 9th in the league in opponent passer rating
  • 5th in the league in interceptions (one away from second)
  • 10th in completion percentage
  • 12th in yards per attempt (which is much better than total yards as their opponent have been behind a lot this year),
  • Near or in the middle in giving up plays over 20 and 40 yards (16th and 17th).
The bottom line is the pass defense, which includes the pass rush, is getting it done.

I still don't think you watched the Patriots game as the pass rush that game was fantastic. If Brady wasn't so good at stepping up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball fast, there would been a lot of sacks.

You can look at one game and one stat all you want, but the all that does is give you a very small sample size and make you wrong.

(All the stats from NFL. com http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go)

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post. 60's great/70's & 80's not good. Although some great games and interesting players/90's thru today great. The GB fan base has had many things to be happy about including the fact that they had 2 HOF QB's for the last 25 years. Most teams have gone through 5 or more.

My only negative comment is that TT should dip into the FA market more frequently. Outside of that, it has been and will continue to be a great experience watching GB with Rodgers at the helm.

Oh yeah, that's a whole other discussion. There have been times when there have been players on the FA market that would've been nice to go after. But, I have to admit, I kinda like the "home grown/drafted" players we have.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overreacting after a bad "win"? Predicting doom and gloom and getting exposed for your favorite team that happens to be 10-3? That's just not like you, rodell330. You're usually so level-headed and rational.

Whatever you say Adam..I'm finished talking about the defense until after this game. Either way a bunch of us see what we call quality defense differently. Quality defense to me isn't giving up almost 300 yds Recieving to ONE wr and 2 tds. No matter how good he is. Especially when you know where the ball is going. Another effort like that against a quality opponent equals a loss.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's a whole other discussion. There have been times when there have been players on the FA market that would've been nice to go after. But, I have to admit, I kinda like the "home grown/drafted" players we have.
Agreed. Thompson always cognizant of managing the "cap" and draft and develop. If the draft pays dividends, like this year--Which has been excellent, it works. If not, just like Peppers, roll the dice with your eye on financial implications.

When the program is successful, like this year, it is possible to plug situational veterans into the roster that want a shot at a "ring" that can be signed at a reasonable price. Wolf and Belicheck always willing to consider this option. TT sometimes.

Looking forward to a win at Buffalo!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever you say Adam..I'm finished talking about the defense until after this game. Either way a bunch of us see what we call quality defense differently. Quality defense to me isn't giving up almost 300 yds Recieving to ONE wr and 2 tds. No matter how good he is. Especially when you know where the ball is going. Another effort like that against a quality opponent equals a loss.

Oh I'm not saying it was a quality defense in the second half. Certainly it wasn't. But I also don't think that that kind of football for one half means that that's who we are. Shields had a horrible, abysmal game. That was a big reason why it happened. He (hopefully) won't have that bad of performance again coming off full practice weeks. We've done much better defensively than that this season against better offenses than Atlanta's.

Defense that we saw against Philly and New England should be enough to win in the playoffs. The one in the second half on Monday obviously won't.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I'm not saying it was a quality defense in the second half. Certainly it wasn't. But I also don't think that that kind of football for one half means that that's who we are. Shields had a horrible, abysmal game. That was a big reason why it happened. He (hopefully) won't have that bad of performance again coming off full practice weeks. We've done much better defensively than that this season against better offenses than Atlanta's.

Defense that we saw against Philly and New England should be enough to win in the playoffs. The one in the second half on Monday obviously won't.

I think the defense has become so dependent on Rodgers and the offense scoring points they don't always play hungry. I think the attitude is the offense will bail us out so whatever happens happens..because they have shown flashes so their capable... They are just inconsistent as heck.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe he did go after others. I think it's rather unlikely that Thompson is getting his target 100% of the time. You know of any GM that is?

Members online

Latest posts