Studs n Duds atlanta

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers has been our best defensive player this year so far. If he's been a failure imagine what everyone else is?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the D was trying some different schemes and personnel packages,or maybe they were just over confident after halftime. They were not getting any pressure on Ryan and he was in rhythm with his receivers. If they couldn't pressure him they should have done some bump and run with the WR's at the LOS to throw it off some. It was scary,kind of reminded me of the saints game when we didn't pressure brees. Maybe it was a fluke/wake up call because I do not believe this defense is this bad.
I'm going to have to rewatch the game. My impression was we were getting lots of pressure. we didn't rack up sacks because Ryan was throwing quickly. I thought Capers blitzed the most this fgame this year.
I just think he should have backed down to 4 or 5 rushing and put a safety over the top.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Peppers wasMIA. That experiment can now be called a failure.
What a reasonable comment – it makes all kinds of sense to judge a player on one of thirteen games. Thank goodness you didn’t overreact.

Seriously I agree with AmishMafia – I thought there was pretty good pressure but Ryan was getting the ball out quickly. I also agree with most everyone else in not understanding what Capers was doing. Why in the world wasn’t Julio doubled every play? The problem I have with “plain” zone coverage is it often looks like players forget at some point they have to cover a man. That seemed to happen frequently in the second half with Julio. Even in a zone concept, why not have House cover him man-to-man?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron said it without saying it but the defense can't stop people consistently so we have to score a bunch of points. The thing with that is it won't cut it against Detroit who can score and play defense or against Seattle who's definitely going to allow us to score 38 points. And I can almost guarantee you we will have to beat at least one of those teams to get to the SB excluding the regular season . Capers can sit in his cozy booth all he wants but if he fails to fix this defense and it cost us a game I'm done with him completely and will jump fully on board with all the ppl who want him gone. He's got no more excuses as this is the healthiest we've been on defense in years this late in the season.

Last edited:

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the offense was flying high, and looks pretty unstoppable this year, particularly at home. Rodgers can do no wrong, the offensive line looks incredibly solid, and our run game even with Lacy exiting early got the job done. Our defense came away with a pick and played solid in the first half, but obviously looked gag-worthy in the second half.

Let's first acknowledge the fact that for whatever reason, Julio Jones is going OFF right now. The way he's playing he might even beat Revis and Sherman. Not making up excuses for how pathetic it was, but he is playing lights out football right now. Secondly we had ZERO pass rush for about 90% of that game, and I can't explain why. I'm used to seeing our guys consistently reaching and hurrying the QB this season, but there was virtually none of that in this game. I'm chocking it up to simply one bad game, no sense getting all concerned.

Going forward I think it's important that we clinch home field throughout (although at this point I could see us easily going into Arizona and also winning) but why leave it to chance? We control our destiny now. Whatever happens I do NOT want to see us having to go into Seattle, it's just not the way I want to go out.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have been better this year more times than not. When your defense leads the league in turnover ratio they are living off of more than just 1 game. As a matter of fact, if our offense is just hogging the ball and not letting our defense on the field as much, it would be difficult to own that record.

Are we the best defense in the NFL? No. But when you are 9-1 in the last 10 games, you aren't a bad defense. In these last 10 games, aside from last night's win and our bad game in New Orleans, do you know what the most points our defense has allowed is? 24 points. Our defense is not consistently letting teams score 30 points.

I know some think that if our offense doesn't perform well, then we are done. Our offense stalled in Miami and our defense held them. Our offense stalled against the Jets and let them continually get great field position, but they stepped up. Our defense held off a good Lions offense early in the season, but our offense wasn't what it is now. Our defense also stopped the great Tom Brady and allowed Gronk to get in the endzone zero times. (Despite no one knowing how ANY team could stop Gronk)

Now, when the playoffs come will our offense have to score points or else we will lose? Of course, because it will be the best of the best. If ANY team's offense stalls during the playoffs, they are in trouble. I just think that this team has shown more signs of being able to get it done on defense more times than not. To disregard all of this and only focus on the most recent 2 bad quarters is not a clear representation.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs. Vast majority of the offense. You put up 40+ points a week and keep your QB upright, you're doing your job. Hands team on special teams. Recovering those two onside kicks were critical in hanging on to the W.

Duds. Almost the entire defense second half, coaching staff and all. There's bend but don't break, but they just literally fell asleep at the wheel. Capers inability to even make a decent attempt to contain Julio the second half was head-scratching. They hadn't played this bad since the New Orleans game and we all know they're capable of better given how they've played since that game. I'm willing to chalk this one up to a gassed defense playing a no huddle offense, but if the 2011 defense rears it's ugly head again come playoff time even with a bye and/or HFA, the chances of playing deep into January are not good if the offense struggles in any significant way.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from not double-covering Julio, I saw more bad play than bad scheme last night. All of our ILBs were terrible. Then Aaron tossed out this nugget:
Rodgers acknowledged there might have been a "slight relaxation" at halftime up 24.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554433

People worried about a trap game. It happened, they let up, and they still won. Don't freak out. Eat some cheetos or something

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a reasonable comment – it makes all kinds of sense to judge a player on one of thirteen games. Thank goodness you didn’t overreact.

Seriously I agree with AmishMafia – I thought there was pretty good pressure but Ryan was getting the ball out quickly. I also agree with most everyone else in not understanding what Capers was doing. Why in the world wasn’t Julio doubled every play? The problem I have with “plain” zone coverage is it often looks like players forget at some point they have to cover a man. That seemed to happen frequently in the second half with Julio. Even in a zone concept, why not have House cover him man-to-man?

I don't get it. I really don't. I said before the game that Julio Jones was all that frightened me about that team. That's not exactly an earth shattering statement considering that roster. White is a shadow of what he was and there's not much of a run game to worry about.

So why in the name of God would they not double triple or quadruple :roflmao: Jones?! That was brutal. Even for the sake of getting him off his game just a little and just simply attempting to break the rhythm would have been nice. I had visions of Matthews standing at the line once or twice and just jacking his butt...ala a certain 49ers playoff game a few years back!

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously I agree with AmishMafia – I thought there was pretty good pressure but Ryan was getting the ball out quickly. I also agree with most everyone else in not understanding what Capers was doing.

I was at work and didnt see game live----I just scanned the game on dvr this morning..

But on way home last night, two post game shows (wtmj and wssp) said the dl wasnt getting any pressure--Even compared the pressure vs Brady and Ryan..Both stations were saying they got a lot more pressure on Brady...

This was one of their reasons as to why the secondary had SOME issues..

But your saying there was decent pressure?

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at work and didnt see game live----I just scanned the game on dvr this morning..

But on way home last night, two post game shows (wtmj and wssp) said the dl wasnt getting any pressure--Even compared the pressure vs Brady and Ryan..Both stations were saying they got a lot more pressure on Brady...

This was one of their reasons as to why the secondary had SOME issues..

But your saying there was decent pressure?

Ryan was stepping up and eye balling JJones and they couldn't stop him end of story.

Jones got hurt is the only reason ATL didnt score again.....or did they score again?

They are going to have to fix something because the next 3 games have elite WR's.

The coach said they focused on Jones in the game planning as well during the week.

It may be they focused to much on stopping him and the reverse happened.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan was stepping up and eye balling JJones and they couldn't stop him end of story.

Jones got hurt is the only reason ATL didnt score again.....

They are going to have to fix something because the next 3 games have elite WR's.

The coach said they focused on Jones in the game planning as well during the week.

It may be they focused to much on stopping him and the reverse happened.

The dl has to get in Matts face tho...That is what the radio guys were saying..that Matt had very clear passing lanes...Any q.b can tear up a def, if he has time to throw.

I think JJ is on a tear...He blew out the Cards def last week, and they are pretty good..It is upsetting that JJ was game planned for and it didnt work..MM did say JJ beat their game plan.

I saw plays from Sam where he really looked lost..Not sure why? Maybe scared to get hit in head again?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think JJ is on a tear...He blew out the Cards def last week, and they are pretty good..It is upsetting that JJ was game planned for and it didnt work..MM did say JJ beat their game plan.

I saw plays from Sam where he really looked lost..Not sure why? Maybe scared to get hit in head again?

What's interesting is that Julio only went off in the second off.

Lack of energy or focus? A good adjustment by the Falcons and a poor one by us? Julio just getting better as the game when on? Could be any of those.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dl has to get in Matts face tho...That is what the radio guys were saying..that Matt had very clear passing lanes...Any q.b can tear up a def, if he has time to throw.

maybe hes scared.....but AZ is like one of the worst Passing D's in the NFL.
What's interesting is that Julio only went off in the second off.

Lack of energy or focus? A good adjustment by the Falcons and a poor one by us? Julio just getting better as the game when on? Could be any of those.

It did look like they got tired and couldn't do anything about it. Ryan started playing better as well after giving away a pass earlier.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs:packer fans in chilly Lambeau
Duds:(1) Packers secondary
(2) MM yes MM, how many times has he done a post game interview, saying we have to play better in 2nd 1/2.
(3) Atlanta Falcons D'back Weems, once again we see a dancing and prancing (FOOL), when your team is (5-8)
(4) ME, for thinking 30-7 was a lock for victory, forgot we have a problem with 60minutes of football..

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brad Jones proved once again why he is the worst defensive player in the history of football. I was at the game. I focused on him when he was in and he was BAD. Getting picked by the official.... letting matty ice run right past him on the play that set up the FG attempt before the half. Being completely lost as to where he should be and what he should be doing. I would like to see if PFF once again graded him as the worst ILB in football this week.

What in the world was capers thinking putting him in the game after he has proven to be awful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: 1st half Packers.
Duds: 2nd half Packers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:packer fans in chilly Lambeau
Duds:(1) Packers secondary
(2) MM yes MM, how many times has he done a post game interview, saying we have to play better in 2nd 1/2.
(3) Atlanta Falcons D'back Weems, once again we see a dancing and prancing (FOOL), when your team is (5-8)
(4) ME, for thinking 30-7 was a lock for victory, forgot we have a problem with 60minutes of football..
Weems is such a piece of trash. Hated him on the bears and still can't stand him. Constant dancing, and agitating of the opposing team on special teams. He is in the middle of crap after every single special teams play. He NEVER gets flagged for it either. If I were a player I would put DESTROY WEEMS on my list of things to accomplish before retiring. One time when it doesn't matter.....take the 15 yards and send him into next week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts