Studs & Duds: Steelers Edition

D

Deleted member 6794

Flynn was aware, as was MM...the refs on the other hand screwed up yesterday at that 10 sec mark

I don't think so. It was obvious and the ref told them the clock will start running once he blows the whistle, I don't know why they didn't snap the ball immediately.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think so. It was obvious and the ref told them the clock will start running once he blows the whistle, I don't know why they didn't snap the ball immediately.

Ref was standing over EDS while the guys were waiting to get in their stance

MM mentioned it, Sitton mentioned it as well

They are saying the ref wouldn't let them snap it right away...

I just re watched it..

Whistle blows, clock starts almost right away...Then the guys have to be in their stance for 1 secs

So that is at 8 seconds

Matt doesnt get the ball until the 3 sec mark..

So if anything Matt waited 5 secs to call for the snap, or EDS waited to long to snap it,..

As Matt is waiting for the ball, the ref runs back to matt to say something and that was prob the clock is running

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...-final-few-moments-of-loss-to-steelers-122213

"We were up, set and ready to go," left guard Josh Sitton said. "Told Evan to take his hand off of the ball. When they did that, we all kind of got up and looked like, 'What's going on?' Then he went back and wound the clock as he was going back. I don't know. I don't know what their process in that situation is supposed to be.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...-final-few-moments-of-loss-to-steelers-122213

"We were up, set and ready to go," left guard Josh Sitton said. "Told Evan to take his hand off of the ball. When they did that, we all kind of got up and looked like, 'What's going on?' Then he went back and wound the clock as he was going back. I don't know. I don't know what their process in that situation is supposed to be.

That's what Sitton said, but it wasn't true. I've rewatched it many times. The ref certainly preventing the snap for a long time (and I'm sure that's what Sitton was referencing), but the clock wasn't running then. Sitton wouldn't have been looking at the clock then anyway. EDS had the ball without interference when the whistle blew and the clock started. Just took too long to snap.

It was a screw-up, but that kind of stuff happens when there's a backup quarterback in there. That's why they are backups. Gotta expect that kind of thing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the play several times as well. At the time the umpire talks to EDS he can't snap the ball because the clock is not running. At the time the ref blows the whistle and the clock starts to run there's no official near EDS, no reason to wait to snap the ball.

Did you not see what I posted?

I just re watched it..

Whistle blows, clock starts almost right away...Then the guys have to be in their stance for 1 secs

So that is at 8 seconds

So if anything Matt waited 5 secs to call for the snap, or EDS waited to long to snap it,..

As Matt is waiting for the ball, the ref runs back to matt to say something and that was prob the clock is running

D

Deleted member 6794

I just re watched it..

So that is at 8 seconds

I read that the first time. Don't understand though why you think the refs screwed that up as you mentioned earlier.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All those F-ups aside, it didn't matter if we won or lost: The Bears game IS a playoff game either way. Had we beaten the Steelers, we still would have had to beat Chicago to play on. It's the same now having blown the game.
The game meant nothing for division purposes, but in the end, will give us about a 4 spot move-up in next year's draft.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read that the first time. Don't understand though why you think the refs screwed that up as you mentioned earlier.

Because I was going off on Sitton and Mm's comments..

Then I went and re watched it, which is what I said in my post

MM mentioned it, Sitton mentioned it as well

They are saying the ref wouldn't let them snap it right away...

I just re watched it..

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I saw nothing wrong with his play-calling. IMO, criticism of play-calling by fans is usually misguided anyway. If plays are successful, nobody complains. If the team doesn't execute, the complaints come. I thought the handoff to Kuhn for the TD was a stroke of genius, frankly. Nobody on the Steelers saw it coming.
isn't that the idea, complain when its wrong silence when its right I thought that was the upside of criticism….

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just re watched it..

So that is at 8 seconds

According to McCarthy, umpire Undrey Wash kept center Evan Dietrich-Smith from being able to snap the ball as soon as the clock started running with 10 seconds remaining, following the 10-second runoff the Packers absorbed because of a false start penalty.

“I wish the officiating mechanics were intact,” McCarthy said Monday. “I think it's clear to everybody, it doesn't take 10 seconds to throw a (pass off a) three-step drop.”

McCarthy said Wash told Dietrich-Smith he was not allowed to snap the ball until Wash pointed to him. Looking at the replay of the final 10 seconds, not only doesn’t Wash point to Dietrich-Smith after the whistle blows and the clock stars, but it looks like the reason Cheffers runs into the play with about 5 seconds left is to tell Wash he needed to point to Dietrich-Smith.

Replay showed that Wash finally pointed at Dietrich-Smith with 4 seconds to go, and the ball was finally snapped with 3 seconds to go.

“Those are questions probably more for the officials department,” McCarthy said. “The referee and the umpire need to be on the same page as far as the way the umpire stands over the ball, he backs out, the coordination of the referee starting the clock. Dietrich(-Smith) was informed, don't snap the ball until the umpire pointed at him. The umpire pointed at him at 3 seconds.

"If you watch the game, obviously we were all up in arms about it after the game. But if you go back and watch the video, I think it's clear exactly what happened.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“So it just wasn't coordinated. I'm not trying to get in trouble here or anything, but it doesn't take 10 seconds to run a three-step drop pass. I think we all understand that.”

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the play several times as well. At the time the umpire talks to EDS he can't snap the ball because the clock is not running. At the time the ref blows the whistle and the clock starts to run there's no official near EDS, no reason to wait to snap the ball.

I guess my initial assessment was right, the refs screwed up...Not only the blocked Fg but the last 10 secs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ted-prematurely-on-final-play-of-packers-game

Due to a miscommunication between members of the officiating crew, the game clock was started prematurely on the final play of the game.”

Dietrich[-Smith] was informed don't snap the ball until the umpire pointed at him. The umpire pointed at him at 3 seconds.
"If you watch the game, obviously we were all up in arms about it after the game. But if you go back and watch the video, I think it's clear exactly what happened."

D

Deleted member 6794

Members online

Latest posts