studs & duds: eagles

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That screen play in the 3 rd where he had 3 blockers in front of him and still managed to get tackled by the only defender in the area pretty much made him dead to me.

Yes, that was a disappointing end result, but I think some of the blame can be put on those 3 blockers and credit to I believe it was Jenkins who knifed his way through basically untouched to make a nice tackle on Starks. While Starks didn't have an eye popping stats night, he helped move the chains a few times running and receiving.

H

HardRightEdge

A small dud: Jordy for dropping another TD pass late in the 4th quarter. Perfectly thrown ball from AR, CB did have good coverage on Nelson but he still should have caught that ball and he would have been gone. You expect your playmakers to step up and make those plays.
You mean the play where Nelson missed a one-handed catch because the corner grabbed his left arm? Sheesh. Maybe you went to the kitchen for cheese curds during the replay.

The ref evened it up by not calling Nelson for a push off a few plays later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They started out like the old Packers! Energized, spring in their step, had a sense of urgency, and as the game moved on it seemed like they took their foot off the gas for a while. I'm not saying they didn't play well, because they did. It looked like they just slowed down a bit. It was awesome to see them come out with the short quick passes moving the chains consistently. Loved the game!
The D backs did however look like they forgot how to play defense (actually defending the pass and just started to let the Eagle receivers catch the ball and then make the tackle.) Afraid to get burned? I'm sure Gunter was feeling that way.

DS

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also giving up a FIELD GOAL at the end of the first half rather than the TOUCHDOWN we are accustomed too showed the defense is improving

H

HardRightEdge

They started out like the old Packers! Energized, spring in their step, had a sense of urgency, and as the game moved on it seemed like they took their foot off the gas for a while.
Really?

Packer possessions in sequence:

11 plays, 81 yards, TD
9 plays, 75 yards, TD
12 plays, 43 yards, punt
1 play, end of half kneel down
5 plays, 57 yards, FG
13 plays, 75 yards, TD
17 plays, 78 yards, FG
2 plays, end of game kneel down

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers -- didn't see him throw a single bad pass last night. The tight window throws to Adams were exceptional.
Adams -- great concentration to hang onto the aforementioned tight window throws.
O-line -- great job in pass protection as usual.
Schumm -- one punt, and it was perfectly placed.
Special teams in general. Good coverage.
Coaching -- the team looked ready to play from the moment of kickoff. Aggressive at the right times and conservative at the right times.

Duds:
pass defense in the first half -- slightly better than the last four games, but not good enough. Randall might be a decent number two corner when fully healthy. That still leaves us without a number one.

The Packers played like they know they need to win every game from here on out. Let's hope they can sustain it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud #1: Whomever it was (Datone/Peppers?) that drilled Wentz the play before HaHa's interception. It was a hard hit to his throwing side, they showed Wentz walking gimpy afterward, then Wentz had a horrible release of his next pass. It sailed passed his target and right to Dix. Wentz wasn't the same after that hit. Somebody on our D deserves an ice cold beer.

Nelson may be on the decline, but I'm more in the camp of believing that he is still re-adjusting to the game. Yes, it does take some players a lot longer than a year to recover. They can't all be AP. If Nelson isn't back to his old self at the start of next season, then I'll join the chorus.

Starks ran hard but still struggles to change direction effectively and hit the right holes. His running has certainly improved since his return so hopefully his vision will improve as well. However, he's a known quantity. He's already close to his ceiling but there is room for improvement.

Stud #2: McCarthy pulled out more formations and route combinations in the first quarter than I've seen all season combined. For those correctly calling McCarthy out for calling predictable games up to this point, he followed your advice. Can anyone recall the last time Rodgers ran the option or we consistently used that many players in the backfield?

Stud #3: Ripkowski seems to run hard when given the opportunity at appears to get the yards when needed. He still has a ways to go to replace Kuhn's blitz pickup and leadership, but he's at least offering something to the running game.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Studs:
Rodgers -- didn't see him throw a single bad pass last night. The tight window throws to Adams were exceptional.
Adams -- great concentration to hang onto the aforementioned tight window throws.
Yes, it's not enough to throw the ball to "the only spot where it could be caught". This implies the play is being defended. Touch catches need to be made on those throws. It takes two to tango.

Opponents throwing 10-20 yard balls in the middle of the field against zone coverage encounter these requirements less frequently for some reason. :confused:

Sky King

Reaction score
Stud: The entire staff and team for not yet giving-up on the season.

Dud: They will probably need to run the table for the remainder of the season to even have a chance at winning the division, let alone also needing to continue running the table throughout the playoffs in order to win another championship. That's a surreal string of games to win in a row. Doing so would qualify it as one of the most significant miracles in all of sports history considering their recent history.

For those who believe these numbers are a sign of how much bettors like one's team and not about the books making money, as of 11/22 the odds were 80:1 but they will likely improve somewhat this week. The odds were not yet updated just a few minutes ago.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/i...per-bowl-51-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few duds are Mathews,Peppers, Perry and Starks.

Mathews is just injury prone now and not worth the money.

Pepper gets pushed around and is no longer a game changer.

Perry jumping offsides twice on 3rd down.

Starks just dances around too much to gain 1 yard. He needs to find a hole and hit it. Ty is a much better RB than him

Studs. Rodgers, Adams, Rip, Burnett and Dix. Spriggs is a solid player too.

Lol, injury prone. He got drilled on that play. I have to believe other players may not have gotten up or came back into the game. Is he injury prone (hamstring)? Maybe, but not because of that play.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those who believe these numbers are a sign of how much bettors like one's team and not about the books making money,

Don't those two things have to be joined at the hip? Are there really people that believe the odds are something other than a reflection of the amount of money placed on a particular option?

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?

Packer possessions in sequence:

11 plays, 81 yards, TD
9 plays, 75 yards, TD
12 plays, 43 yards, punt
1 play, end of half kneel down
5 plays, 57 yards, FG
13 plays, 75 yards, TD
17 plays, 78 yards, FG
2 plays, end of game kneel down
Yes. I'm used to the old "3 and out" plays they usually run. If you don't think they came out and moved the ball, we watched different games.

DS

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Clay Matthews... there I said it. He got back in the game despite a shoulder sprain and while his game was uneven inside he made his presence felt big time in the passing game. Clay knotched a sack and it was pretty clear that him showing pressure over the middle was giving Wentz the heeby jeebies. With most MLB/ILBs if you can pick him up with a center/guard it's advantage to the offense. But with Matthews even if you do pick him up with an OL he still has a favorable matchup, if you don't he might knock a quarterback out for the season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, injury prone. He got drilled on that play. I have to believe other players may not have gotten up or came back into the game. Is he injury prone (hamstring)? Maybe, but not because of that play.
Drilled is a huge understatement... he was blindsided at full speed by an offensive Tackle. I think he might have preferred getting hit by a car.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Sky King

Reaction score
Don't those two things have to be joined at the hip? Are there really people that believe the odds are something other than a reflection of the amount of money placed on a particular option?
Not exactly. The sports books try to keep the bets as balanced as possible. You'll find a pretty good explanation of how and why they set the betting line here:
http://www.oddsshark.com/sports-betting/who-sets-line

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Yes. I'm used to the old "3 and out" plays they usually run. If you don't think they came out and moved the ball, we watched different games.
I wasn't questioning that they came out and moved the ball. I was questioning the "foot off the pedal" part. Unless, of course, you expect a TD on every possession.

They ran the same ball control passing offense all day, in the same way, with consistent success. What was unique in this game was the high rate of success on a handful of +20 yd. throws, both early and late. Who was it that wasn't watching? Unless, of course, you think every drive should end in a TD. Or perhaps you think it imprudent to run the ball in the back half of 4th. quarter with a 2 score lead?

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Seeing an awful lot of different duds which is interesting considering we won a road game we were 4 point underdogs in, by two touchdowns.
I'm thrilled with the overall performance. Really proud of the patched up O-line performance.

Reaction score
He came through in the pass game but was almost a liability in the rush game. If not for 2 carries he would have had under 30 yards on 15 touches.
He was accosted in the backfield on numerous occasions and did good to get back to the LOS. If this was the Dallas O line he would've ran for 4YPC.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drilled is a huge understatement... he was blindsided at full speed by an offensive Tackle. I think he might have preferred getting hit by a car.

People might not remember but Barbaro was always a physical freak. Small college prospect who neverr really learned to play while he was here but the guy was a 300 pound player who used to be a freaking gunner in college. Even in Green Bay where he was generally awful his drive blocking ability was freakish at times. Just a brutal combination of strength and speed. The hit Barbre was on Matthews was absolutely savage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts