Studs and duds vs Vikings

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lol, how many int’s does Stafford have now. He’s hanging close to Cousins too?

Believe it or not, this season Cousins already has 6! He is on pace for a 32 interception season! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Stafford has only thrown 2 thus far, but the season is young.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet the Lions dropped backed to throw 38 times against the Packers while having only 20 designed run plays.

In addition they averaged less yards per carry against the Packers (4.45) than vs. the Bears (4.76).

They were behind much of the game. Teams tend to pass more when they're losing, run more when they're winning.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They were behind much of the game. Teams tend to pass more when they're losing, run more when they're winning.

Yep. And yesterday, when the game script was even for the entire game, their offense was pretty darn balanced.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer answering questions as to why the Vikings are 0-3

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mike Zimmer answering questions as to why the Vikings are 0-3

My bold preseason prediction was that Gute/Petals would be the only GM/HC duo left standing in the division at the end of the season. Then they went and extended Zimmer for 3 seasons. But maybe, just maybe, he's still going to be a goner.

I don't think he's a terrible coach, but his leadership has hampered that offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My bold preseason prediction was that Gute/Petals would be the only GM/HC duo left standing in the division at the end of the season. Then they went and extended Zimmer for 3 seasons. But maybe, just maybe, he's still going to be a goner.

I don't think he's a terrible coach, but his leadership has hampered that offense.

I'm not going to claim to know a ton about the Vikings, but I think they messed up when they signed Cousins to a big contract. Reminds me a bit of the Bears signing Cutler way back when. That was way too much money invested in an average QB and now its costing them on retention of some of their better defensive players. I also think letting Diggs walk was a huge mistake, but that might have been a decision made due to cap and team chemistry.

Zimmer doesn't seem to be a bad coach, but possibly much like McCarthy, he just can't do enough with the pieces he is given. Losing DC George Edwards and a couple of starters might not be helping either.

I used to think Matt Nagy was a really good coach, now I am not so sure about that. Although, he finally woke up and it appears that the Mitch Turdbiscuit experiment is sadly (for Packer fans) over. I can see his tenure being cut short at the end of the year if the Bears don't have a winning season.

Matt Patricia.....meh, I see him going the exact route of most Lions coaches.......gone in a few.

All that said, I think the #1 key to most teams is the GM and I do believe that we have the best GM in the division. I would rank the rest of them as follows....Rick Spielman, Ryan Pace, Bob Quinn.

Speaking of the Bears, anyone know that Khalil Mack's cap hit is $26.6M this year and a bit above and a bit below it for the next 4 years after? :roflmao:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not going to claim to know a ton about the Vikings, but I think they messed up when they signed Cousins to a big contract. Reminds me a bit of the Bears signing Cutler way back when. That was way too much money invested in an average QB and now its costing them on retention of some of their better defensive players. I also think letting Diggs walk was a huge mistake, but that might have been a decision made due to cap and team chemistry.

Zimmer doesn't seem to be a bad coach, but possibly much like McCarthy, he just can't do enough with the pieces he is given. Losing DC George Edwards and a couple of starters might not be helping either.

I used to think Matt Nagy was a really good coach, now I am not so sure about that. Although, he finally woke up and it appears that the Mitch Turdbiscuit experiment is sadly (for Packer fans) over. I can see his tenure being cut short at the end of the year if the Bears don't have a winning season.

Matt Patricia.....meh, I see him going the exact route of most Lions coaches.......gone in a few.

All that said, I think the #1 key to most teams is the GM and I do believe that we have the best GM in the division. I would rank the rest of them as follows....Rick Spielman, Ryan Pace, Bob Quinn.

Speaking of the Bears, anyone know that Khalil Mack's cap hit is $26.6M this year and a bit above and a bit below it for the next 4 years after? :roflmao:

Yes, I think Cousins was a mistake. He was perceived as a huge upgrade for them at QB, but he really wasn't in actuality. The season prior to him signing there, they actually got fantastic play out of the position with Case Keenum working under Pat Shurmur. Don't get me wrong, Cousins is a better player than Keenum over their respective careers. But the typical Cousins season isn't all that much better than the high end outlier season that Keenum has just provided. So what many felt would be a big upgrade was really more of a lateral move.

I also think that letting Diggs go was undersold as a blow to the team. From what I saw, there was way more coverage of how the Vikings got a great return for him, and a lot less about how their best offensive player was heading out the door.

But where Zimmer factors into the offense, in my opinion, is in wanting to reign in the passing game and just focus on running the ball. Rushing is great, but he is committed to it to a fault.

And now Spielman has really cut his legs out from under him because of the cap. They ended up losing Linval Joseph, Everson Griffen, Stephen Weatherly, Trae Waynes, Xavier Rhodes, and Mackensie Alexander. So half of his starting DL, his top backup at edge, and his three top corners. Basically half of the guys he would run out there in nickel are gone in one offseason.

I also don't think Nagy is a terrible coach, but if his team can't win with Foles then the perception will be that he's been given a fair shake and can't get it done. Now I think that's bogus, because I don't think Foles is a very good player, but perception often determines reality.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I always like to see our 3 North Division opponents have moderately average to ok years, with all loses to the Packers, don't get far in the playoffs and land somewhere in the middle of the draft. This is one season I hope all 3 land in the 12-25 pick range of the draft, no way do I want to see any of them get a shot at Trevor Lawrence.

Edit: This isn't to say that I don't mind them being pathetically terrible and then trade up in the draft to pick Turd Biscuit. :D I just don't want to see one of our division opponents finally land that marquee QB.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts