Studs and Duds: Total Beat-down

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1) you can't run slants and all these plays right up the middle when the defense is dropping players into coverage. It's harder to do than you think and I doubt Mike McCarthy doesn't call these plays. 2) I somewhat agree with you on this one, but Crosby has been terrible from far out. His kicks have movement on them and they never go straight. Right now I trust Rodgers completing a 4th and short than Crosby kicking a 50 yarder. 3) if you watched the early games you would know that when the packers got pass happy Aaron Rodgers got man handled by the pass rush. For instance Seattle 7 sacks early. We ran the ball in the 2nd half and we had no sacks. This is why we ran Green 20 times to take pressure off Rodgers. Then We started to mention split backs when it wasn't working and we did. We included Starks and now Dujan Harris and grant. 4) this one is an obviously a bad play call with the laterall backwards because it didn't work. But our special teams plays have worked for the most part. It helped us win the first bears game
1. Thank you. If it was that easy, we'd have done it by now.
2. I'd probably trust Masthay and the defense more, unless we had to go for it.
3. He's not exactly wrong in his evaluation of Green. As has been said, beast way to stop a rusher is to run right at him.
4. Yeah, just because it works doesn't mean it wasn't stupid. Same applies to the fake kick. Then again, it's kind of a requirement for STC to be just crazy enough.

H

HardRightEdge

1) you can't run slants and all these plays right up the middle when the defense is dropping players into coverage. It's harder to do than you think and I doubt Mike McCarthy doesn't call these plays. 2) I somewhat agree with you on this one, but Crosby has been terrible from far out. His kicks have movement on them and they never go straight. Right now I trust Rodgers completing a 4th and short than Crosby kicking a 50 yarder. 3) if you watched the early games you would know that when the packers got pass happy Aaron Rodgers got man handled by the pass rush. For instance Seattle 7 sacks early. We ran the ball in the 2nd half and we had no sacks. This is why we ran Green 20 times to take pressure off Rodgers. Then We started to mention split backs when it wasn't working and we did. We included Starks and now Dujan Harris and grant. 4) this one is an obviously a bad play call with the laterall backwards because it didn't work. But our special teams plays have worked for the most part. It helped us win the first bears game

(1) I don't agree, I don't think what's happened is what you described, and nobody said it's "easy".

(2) & (3) What you said are not counter arguments to my points. Perhaps a closer reading of what I wrote is in order.

(4) The point is not that the call in the CHI game was a bad call. You said no "Monday Morning QBing". The point is that it was no worse than the Kuhn run call, which I criticized at the time for the same reason the call in the CHI game was a poor one. What's gained is succeeding if of significantly less value than what's lost in failing.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
(1) I don't agree, I don't think what's happened is what you described, and nobody said it's "easy".
Lets use cover 2 man nickel as an example:
2 DB deep, 3 CB covering 3 of the WR, and a LB covering a TE, and 4 DL rush. That leaves a LB sitting smack dab in the middle of the field watching what the QB will do.
Have the TE block, That leaves 2 LB sitting in the middle of the field watching the QB.

Lets use a slant. The LB will double the man over the middle.
How about a screen? The LB will follow the man being used on the screen, and usually one or more of the DL will sniff the play and follow as well (see below)

Add in the element that these teams know slants and screens are coming and are watching for these exact plays.

Reaction score

(2) & (3) What you said are not counter arguments to my points. Perhaps a closer reading of what I wrote is in order.

(4) The point is not that the call in the CHI game was a bad call. You said no "Monday Morning QBing". The point is that it was no worse than the Kuhn run call, which I criticized at the time for the same reason the call in the CHI game was a poor one. What's gained is succeeding if of significantly less value than what's lost in failing.
For number 2 and 3 I was telling the reasoning behind the two. Running Alex Green was necessary to be ran 20 times a game despite his lack of success. For number 4 they come up with these calls before the day is even played. They decide to do a play if the special teams sees a certain look. A look of a team overloading one side (Bears 1st game) I love this type of coaching. This should obviously be done at good times. You obviously shouldn't do this at certain times in games (Bears 2nd game). I have no problem with a coach being aggressive and trusting a call. You are probably not a fan of this because you are more of a fan of a standard approach. That's your opinion and i agree with some of it but like I said I don't mind his coaching style and I respect it.

H

HardRightEdge

Lets use cover 2 man nickel as an example:
2 DB deep, 3 CB covering 3 of the WR, and a LB covering a TE, and 4 DL rush. That leaves a LB sitting smack dab in the middle of the field watching what the QB will do.
Have the TE block, That leaves 2 LB sitting in the middle of the field watching the QB.

Lets use a slant. The LB will double the man over the middle.
How about a screen? The LB will follow the man being used on the screen, and usually one or more of the DL will sniff the play and follow as well (see below)

Add in the element that these teams know slants and screens are coming and are watching for these exact plays.

You seem to have us playing with 10 men.

Members online

Latest posts