Studs And Duds: Green Bay Vs Chicago Game 1

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Greg Jennings: Three words; All Day Long. Had so many key plays. Zone and single coverage did the Bears in.
Aaron Rodgers: Had a few hiccups, but this guy is as cool as the other side of the pillow. Kept spreading the ball around after being locked on Jennings and Finley.
Jermichael Finley: Three touchdowns and a wake up. The sleeping giant is awake.
Morgan Burnett: 2 picks helped the team get a defensive lift. I thought he was pretty solid today.
Marshall Newhouse: Comes into the game after Bulaga goes down, and did a pretty darn good job at RT in what probably is his position on the line for a while.
Ryan Grant: Welcome back! Shifty, great cut backs when they needed it.
Run Defensive Unit: Chicago only ran the ball 11 times for 4 yards. Nice job shutting it down on limited duty.

Duds:
James Starks: He looked lost today, had no punch when he got the ball. Fumbles in a critical situation. The team needed more out of him today.
AJ Hawk: I know Capers was playing zone most of the day, but he released a few times into double coverage instead of staying home.
Tramon Williams: Only a mini dud but he has looked a lot better in the past. Have a feeling he is still a bit nicked up.

Overall it was one of those games where usually the Bears come back and triumph in a slop fest. This time it didn't happen. Sure hope Bulaga is going to not be gone for any extended period of time. Improvement is needed in a lot of areas, but imagine this group firing on all cylinders. It was a win on the road again, and a win is a win is a win.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-
Offense: Aaron Rodgers, Jermichael Finley, Marshall Newhouse
Defense: Clay Matthews, Morgan Burnett
Duds-
Offense: Starks,
Defense: Everyone who had to tackle
Clay Matthews was an absolute beast in this game, how many times did he crush forte as soon as he touched the ball? wow. Other than him I'm not sure if anyone is quite sure on how to tackle I counted 3 on that TD in the 4th quarter.
On offense they seemed to be sharp for the most part. I thought McCarthy threw away a couple drives in the first half specifically but I was glad to see he didnt shut down the play book in the 4th quarter. Jermichael really showed up today and I hope we see more multi td games for him this year

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peprah seemed as lost as Starks. Is it time to move Woodson to safety and let Shields take over the other corner? I'm seeing a bit of problems here with both Woodson playing corner and Peprah playing safety. Lot of questionable running plays called by MM on 1 st and 2nd downs. The big downer was Starks. What a horrible game he played. And does Sitton have a hearing problem like Earl Dotson. C'mon man you are getting too many false starts.

Wynn played a great game along with Finlely, Rodgers, Grant, and Matthews.

Cudos to Newhouse stepping in and doing a great job.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One hit forgives a multitude I guess. He got spin around like a top on one play. The center of the field was open a lot and it may not have always been Peprah but its the place you usually see your strong safety.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: Mike McCarthy - Ran an insane amount of delayed handoffs... Ran the ball when he should have passed in the 4th Quarter... Passed the ball when he should have ran in the 4th Quarter... Kept a punt in bounds with less than minutes left n the game and leading by 10

MM was the dud of the game!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the big pass plays had Peprah in coverage. He may lay the wood now and then but in the meantime he was the weakest link. I hope he gets back to form otherwise Bush will replace him in the nickel.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Studs:
A-rod
JMike
Grant
Jennings
Clay
Burnett

Duds:
Starks- didn't look good running the ball, but to me it was the fumble in our own territory late in the game that really made him a dud.
injuries- I mean c'mon, i know we have proved that we can persevere from injuries but key players going down a second year in a row is quite annoying/alarming to see. lets hope bulaga is ok and won't be out for any large amount of time.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Duds- Offensive line and the many penalties against them. They seriously need to work on that.

Its in Chicago and I think the refs were the biggest Duds of all.
Starks was also a dud but I find it comforting that we have Grant for days like today.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the big pass plays had Peprah in coverage. He may lay the wood now and then but in the meantime he was the weakest link. I hope he gets back to form otherwise Bush will replace him in the nickel.
actually I believe Jennings is next up at that spot.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
actually I believe Jennings is next up at that spot.
He may be the next safety up but in nickel and dime, I think the Dom would go with his 4th CB over a rookie at this time in the season if he wants to replace a weak link in coverage. I hope he doesn't go to Pat Lee though.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Dud: Mike McCarthy - Ran an insane amount of delayed handoffs... Ran the ball when he should have passed in the 4th Quarter... Passed the ball when he should have ran in the 4th Quarter... Kept a punt in bounds with less than minutes left n the game and leading by 10

MM was the dud of the game!

I sort of agree, but then I still remember he was doing all the play calling last year, too. They pay him the big bucks, not me.

Wildcatk23

Repeat?
Reaction score
Studs:
Rodgers- Always calm and doesn't panic
Jennings- Record for Catches?
Finley- Red ZOne Beast
Cobb- Kidd is fearless returning punts
Grant- Getting his swagger back.

Duds-
Starks- Bad Game Overall

Questionable-

Mike? Why have an insane amount of talent with your receivers if your gonna run the ball on 1st and second down and then do a 3 foot drop off? Delayed handoffs? Dont get cute with this receiving core. I believe if we stayed aggressive and didn't get conservative after are 3 first drives we could put up 45 a game easy.

OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot a few others:
Mason Crosby was a Stud due to making his FG's again. That new contract of his has him being serviceable. In most cases, it is a given when a kicker makes makeable FG's. And yes the ST coach is a dud. Masthay was hangin them up there, but not kicking OB on a few of those punts to Hester makes no sense. Hester has burned them so many times previously, you would think they'd stay away from him. McCarthy was a dud only for becoming conservative, and not for his playcalling other than when having a good lead. Clifton was also a dud due to his happy Don Majkowski feet, although he was opposite Peppers which was a challenge.

Reaction score
Studs:
Finley - 3 TD's enough said
Rodgers - 1 bad pass, he is completely in control on the field
Jennings - catches everything thrown his way.
Newhouse - played very well after BB went down
Mathews - not getting sacks but still creating havoc
Burnett - 2 picks
DL - running game for Chicago was completely shut down
Grant - ran like the Grant of old

Duds:
Starks - stop dancing and run
Special Teams - luckily there was a penalty on the late punt return. Just inexcusable. Call in the huddle is punt left, the entire coverage team goes right? Really? Find the ball.
MM - stop getting so conservative. Go for the kill!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can there be any duds when the Packers win?

Sure, Starks didn't run the ball well but isn't he blocking when he isn't carrying?

Members online

Latest posts