Studs And Duds: Gb Vs Atlanta

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I thought overall the team as a whole played great and was stretching on my dud picks.

Studs:
Aaron Rodgers-continues to amaze
James Jones- I thought he was the best receiver tonight. Such a heads up play towards the end of the game when he broke a tackle and stayed in bounds
Derek Sharrod- filled in real nicely
Newhouse
Clay Matthews-isnt getting the numbers but is still an impact player
Bishop
Peprah/sheilds-I thought they missed some assignments the first half but their int's made up for it
Mason Crosby- made all his kicks, including that 57 yarder was it?

Duds:
Finley
Grants fumble
first half play was bad on offense/defense

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Rodgers - bar none, this guy is executing this offense beautifully. How good is this guy?! Makes it look so easy and his decision making is unflappable. Dimes to 12 different receivers...incredible!!

Derek Sherrod - Wow nice beginning to his debut in spot duty. had some nice blocks, and is using his body well in pass coverage. He's a keeper.

Marshall Newhouse - Switches over to LT due to Clifton's injury, and did a great job. He's improving week by week.

James Jones - I could see him coming! He played great tonight. If he continues to play like he did tonight, it's going to hard to put DD in there.

BJ Raji - He is a beast and was stuffing the run, and getting some push up the middle. He is the heart of that run D.

Sam Shields - for the most part did a great job in the second half in man coverage. Love to see him look for the ball like a receiver on the fly and post patterns.

Mason Crosby - His consistency has been phenomenal this year. If he continues to be nails, this team is going to be successful for a loooong time.

Greg Jennings - He is so steady every week. Rarely dropping balls and his yak is way up there.

Dom Capers - Nice adjustments at half! This is becoming a recurring theme every game, first half is iffy, second half is stellar. This guy is the mastermind that gets it done.

Duds:

Jeff Triplett - ticky tack calls on Green Bay in a crucial situations in the 2nd half, and he seemed confused at times.
Ryan Grant - ran very well when called upon, but only a mini dud due to a fumble that cost em 7.

This was as good of a team win as there is. Down 2 touches in the first half, and no panic in a resounding comeback W. D shut the birds down in the 2nd half, to give the offense confidence. These 2 rookie Tackles steeping up and doing an admirable job. The depth and talent of this squad is baffling. Great Win.

OP
OP
dbain21

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
67 yrds by a TE isn't much of a dud, sure if you expect 3 TD's from him every week...but still..
I agree, it mainly has to do with his comments earlier in the week. After making comments like those I don't expect 2 drops in crucial situations- a dropped TD catch, and that long 3rd down conversion. He had another drop but I forget if it was any significant kind of play.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

Rodgers - bar none, this guy is executing this offense beautifully. How good is this guy?! Makes it look so easy and his decision making is unflappable. Dimes to 12 different receivers...incredible!!

Derek Sherrod - Wow nice beginning to his debut in spot duty. had some nice blocks, and is using his body well in pass coverage. He's a keeper.

Marshall Newhouse - Switches over to LT due to Clifton's injury, and did a great job. He's improving week by week.

James Jones - I could see him coming! He played great tonight. If he continues to play like he did tonight, it's going to hard to put DD in there.

BJ Raji - He is a beast and was stuffing the run, and getting some push up the middle. He is the heart of that run D.

Sam Shields - for the most part did a great job in the second half in man coverage. Love to see him look for the ball like a receiver on the fly and post patterns.

Mason Crosby - His consistency has been phenomenal this year. If he continues to be nails, this team is going to be successful for a loooong time.

Greg Jennings - He is so steady every week. Rarely dropping balls and his yak is way up there.

Dom Capers - Nice adjustments at half! This is becoming a recurring theme every game, first half is iffy, second half is stellar. This guy is the mastermind that gets it done.

Duds:

Jeff Triplett - ticky tack calls on Green Bay in a crucial situations in the 2nd half, and he seemed confused at times.
Ryan Grant - ran very well when called upon, but only a mini dud due to a fumble that cost em 7.

This was as good of a team win as there is. Down 2 touches in the first half, and no panic in a resounding comeback W. D shut the birds down in the 2nd half, to give the offense confidence. These 2 rookie Tackles steeping up and doing an admirable job. The depth and talent of this squad is baffling. Great Win.​

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Funny, the Running backs are not listed on either list. I guess 58 yards 3.0 yards a carry is ok. As long as Rodgers is throwing well.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finely dropped a TD catch that would have made the game a bit more open. Maybe that doesn't make him a Dud, but somewhere in between.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Funny, the Running backs are not listed on either list. I guess 58 yards 3.0 yards a carry is ok. As long as Rodgers is throwing well.

Where have you been? Haven't you noticed the rules changes have made this a pass driven league? The only thing you need the run for anymore is to set up the pass, which btw is McCarthy's modus operandi.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I dissed Jones in the past for his numerous important drops. It looks like Finley decided to take over that role. It's time for me to give Jones credit. He looked like a big strong intimidating NFL receiver last night. Jordy is my favored receiver of the two, but he just couldn't break open last night. Jones did. So kudos to James Jones.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I dissed Jones in the past for his numerous important drops. It looks like Finley decided to take over that role. It's time for me to give Jones credit. He looked like a big strong intimidating NFL receiver last night. Jordy is my favored receiver of the two, but he just couldn't break open last night. Jones did. So kudos to James Jones.
I know I felt bad, on one finely droped. All I could see was the 8 and yelled "Damn Jones"

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TJ Lang was a dud on one particular play, totally getting deaked like a basketball player guarding Allen Iverson back in the day, for a fast, dangerous inside sack on Rodgers.
You can't have that from a guard. Any one of those sacks on Rodgers could injure the captain. Lang cannot be flat out cleanly beaten like that. He was beaten so badly, he didn't even have a chance to hold the guy.

And they guy was just a guy, not a stud or something like Ndamakong Suh.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Where have you been? Haven't you noticed the rules changes have made this a pass driven league? The only thing you need the run for anymore is to set up the pass, which btw is McCarthy's modus operandi.
Yup, you are so right. As long as you have a QB that can pass the ball it don't matter what your backs can do. But, if Rodgers gets hurt. The Packers are toast. Flynn will not step in and make the throws Rodgers does on a regular basis. See the Colts for a good example.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yup, you are so right. As long as you have a QB that can pass the ball it don't matter what your backs can do. But, if Rodgers gets hurt. The Packers are toast. Flynn will not step in and make the throws Rodgers does on a regular basis. See the Colts for a good example.

If you don't think this has become a passing league, you haven't been watching much football this season. Look at the Saints, no big name RB, yet enough to keep the pass going. Look at the Patriots, not much run production, but enough to keep the ball flying. Sorry my friend, this is a QB's league these days. Look at the Lions, no big running game, yet they are 4-0. The Packers had no big running game last year, won the Super Bowl bowl.

The "if so and so gets hurt then your season is over" is so old it's moldy. That can be true for any number of big name players. You also forget Flynn started against last years 14-2 Patriots in a loss that came down to the last play of the game. He had the Packers ahead early in the fourth quarter. Some questionable coaching decisions and lousy special teams play allowing a "fat guy" run back probably cost the Packers that game more than anything. But Flynn went 24 of 37 for 251 yards and 3 TDs.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think special teams is doing well,not giving up a lot of yards,Greg Jennings t.d wow that was a great play Peprah what a catch,so many studs,can't think of many duds.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The Packer Defense is giving up 7 more point a game this year than last year. That means that in order for them to keep winning the Offense needs to put up 7 more points every game. And that's fine as long as you have a QB that can do it. Rodgers can. I don't think Flynn can. I don't think Flynn steps in and makes all the reads Rodgers does and scores the points he does. So rest on your laurels and talk about how its become a passing league. Thats' great until your QB can't do it or gets hurt. Flynn may be good. But he's no Rodgers.

Look at Buffalo, New England, San Diego and Baltimore. All have running games in the top 10 and they only have one loss each.

And I bet the Colts fans don't think, "Gee, if Payton gets hurt can't play" "Well that's so moldy". They went from a perennial playoff team to the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes with one surgery.

packerfan42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also this post said Mathews was a Stud, I may be going a bit loopy, but I don't think he played. :unsure:
I wasn't feeling good about this game cause I wasn't sure he was gonna play or not. Figured the run defense would break down. Mathews creates that wall of gaurds...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Packer Defense is giving up 7 more point a game this year than last year. That means that in order for them to keep winning the Offense needs to put up 7 more points every game. And that's fine as long as you have a QB that can do it. Rodgers can. I don't think Flynn can. I don't think Flynn steps in and makes all the reads Rodgers does and scores the points he does. So rest on your laurels and talk about how its become a passing league. Thats' great until your QB can't do it or gets hurt. Flynn may be good. But he's no Rodgers.

Look at Buffalo, New England, San Diego and Baltimore. All have running games in the top 10 and they only have one loss each.

And I bet the Colts fans don't think, "Gee, if Payton gets hurt can't play" "Well that's so moldy". They went from a perennial playoff team to the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes with one surgery.

The rules changes have made it a passing league. There are now more rules to protect the QB, and more stringent rules about contact with receivers. Therefore there are more astronomical passing numbers. New England and Baltimore both have plebian running backs. (Tomlinson is over the hill.) I'll give you Buffalo and San Diego. But the thing is, if Mathews is hurt, Philip Rivers will still put up big numbers and keep San Diego in contention. But if Rivers is hurt, their running game won't save them. Rivers runs that team, not the running backs. Flacco is in charge in Baltimore as well. What was the Ravens big addition this year, Lee Evans, a receiver? The Ravens as well as the Chargers both use their running backs as an extra receiver. The "ground and pound" days are over in the NFL for now. It's go up top or go home in January now.

Members online

Latest posts