Studs and duds bear game

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hahaha......this is getting a bit too much testosterone filled now. Why don`t we all admit who the bosses are in our lives.

Fair enough.

The hierarchy in my household is, starting at the top, my wife, my oldest daughter, my youngest daughter, the female dog, the female rabbit, bugs, dirt, me. So, am guilty as charged.

But... when the Packer game is on, I get the couch, the remote, the TV, my cold beer, a pillow or two to throw at my whim and anything else I damn well want. It's my one slice of heaven. The house would have to be burning down for my wife or kids to interrupt my world. No joke.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Fair enough.

The hierarchy in my household is, starting at the top, my wife, my oldest daughter, my youngest daughter, the female dog, the female rabbit, bugs, dirt, me. So, am guilty as charged.

But... when the Packer game is on, I get the couch, the remote, the TV, my cold beer, a pillow or two to throw at my whim and anything else I damn well want. It's my one slice of heaven. The house would have to be burning down for my wife or kids to interrupt my world. No joke.

I did refuse to let my wife sit up late with me to watch a championship game. When she asked why, I pointed out she would support the other team JUST to pee me off.
She gets pushed upstairs when the Packer are on, but only with a bribe of chocolate.

Sky King

Reaction score
Taking what the defense gives you might work for a game or two but if the Packers are forced into this for the season they won't be a good team. Last year the Packers ranked 29th in the NFL in yards per attempt with 5.7. It's a myth that the offense has to take what the defense gives. At some point, the offense needs to be able to do what it wants.

A passing game that averages less than 6 yards per attempt is a dud, there's no room for argument on that point. An elite offense is averaging 7+ yards per attempt.
The problem has been that the offense has been trying to do what it wants to do all along and it still averaged only 5.7 yards per attempt.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Bears are usually a good cure for what ails a team. Now nine days to get some guys healthy. Let's keep getting Montgomery involved. Is Adams a deep threat ?
I can't remember which corner it was, but on one play, Adams shook dude out of his shows on a hesitation route. Would have had the touchdown, but the corner had no choice but to wrap him up.

H

HardRightEdge

The problem has been that the offense has been trying to do what it wants to do all along and it still averaged only 5.7 yards per attempt.
That passage I've bolded is absolutely not true the last 2 games. It's an entirely different game plan.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
To end the game, Rodgers completed 14 of his last 15 passes for 133 yards and 3 TD's by my count.

Yards per attempt: 8.87.

I know it was just a small stretch of the game, but that's when Rodgers really hit his stride. Hopefully they can take a lot of good things from that stretch of play and keep it rolling.

That stretch reminded me of Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed to me that after awhile we started throwing longer passes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
  • Ty Montgomery: Why did it take this long to get him on the field
  • Davante Adams: (This just feels weird.)
  • Nick Perry: Give this man a contract!
  • LaDarius Gunter: Alshon Jeffrey had 3 catches for 33 yards. Solid game by Mr. Undrafted.

H

HardRightEdge

To end the game, Rodgers completed 14 of his last 15 passes for 133 yards and 3 TD's by my count.

Yards per attempt: 8.87.

I know it was just a small stretch of the game, but that's when Rodgers really hit his stride. Hopefully they can take a lot of good things from that stretch of play and keep it rolling.

That stretch reminded me of Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.
With that 93% completion rate over the stretch of game you cite, the yards per attempt are bound to jump and is therefore not indicative of the depth of the passes. The difference is better execution.

The numbers you cite represent 9.5 yards per completion with all but one pass completed. Subtract yards after catch, whatever that might have been, to get to the average depth of the passes. That's a very modest number. Compare to the Dallas game: 31 completions for 294 yards, which is the exact same 9.5 yards per completion.

If by "reminding you of the Green Bay Packers" you mean Rodgers MVP seasons of 2011 and 2014 seasons, consider:

In 2011, with a 68.3% completion rate, Rodgers' yards per completion was 13.5, 42% greater than the stretch you cite.

In 2014, with a 65.6% completion rate, Rodgers' yards per completion was 12.8, 35% greater than the stretch you cite.

Those are wide, wide margins.

Don't confuse getting in the end zone with a sudden return to play calling "normalcy". Instead, what you saw was a very high completion rate on, again, better execution in short to intermediate throws.

There's a tendency among fans and media alike to want a return to the high flying days of yore. Maybe that view has been polluted by the rise of fantasy football measures. And maybe there's no maybe about it. But in the end, what did it get you anyway?

If defenses want to play off coverage and drop 7 all day, now we know there's a possible answer. If they want to bring safeties and LBs up into the short passing lanes, then Rodgers can take his shots. Throwing deep into 2-high safeties is just banging your head against the wall, especially with these receivers, and the head banging has been going for a year, and was building before that. Defenses have adapted to the "old ways"; the offense needs to attack the new vulnerabilities those defensive adjustments expose.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Did they pick up Craig Hentrich to punt farther than 29 yards yet?
Chicago: 1 punt, 46 yds., no return
Dallas: 1 punt, 47 yds., no return

Both kicks were nicely angled to the sidelines. He might be getting the hang of it.

What they are not getting the hang of is punt return blocking, and it's been the same story for going on 2 years. Zook uses single blockers on the gunners. I was watching them against Chicago; they were not even getting a hand on those guys let alone just slowing them down with a chip. Some teams use double blockers on the gunners to set up the return; one presumes Zook is playing for the block. Montgomery did get a block against the Vikes, but is that appropriate in every single situation? How about setting up a return once in awhile when otherwise the likely outcome is a fair catch at the 10 yard line?

I won't get into the kickoff return blocking in detail simply because I have not looked at it close enough to see what's going on. But on those two returns to the 15 against the Bears, there was no lane anywhere.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will very interesting to see if TyMo improves in the backfield! We still need a run game but even with one using TyMo back there could wear down a defense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With that 93% completion rate over the stretch of game you cite, the yards per attempt are bound to jump and is therefore not indicative of the depth of the passes. The difference is better execution.

The numbers you cite represent 9.5 yards per completion with all but one pass completed. Subtract yards after catch, whatever that might have been, to get to the average depth of the passes. That's a very modest number. Compare to the Dallas game: 31 completions for 294 yards, which is the exact same 9.5 yards per completion.

If by "reminding you of the Green Bay Packers" you mean Rodgers MVP seasons of 2011 and 2014 seasons, consider:

In 2011, with a 68.3% completion rate, Rodgers' yards per completion was 13.5, 42% greater than the stretch you cite.

In 2014, with a 65.6% completion rate, Rodgers' yards per completion was 12.8, 35% greater than the stretch you cite.

Those are wide, wide margins.

Don't confuse getting in the end zone with a sudden return to play calling "normalcy". Instead, what you saw was a very high completion rate on, again, better execution in short to intermediate throws.

There's a tendency among fans and media alike to want a return to the high flying days of yore. Maybe that view has been polluted by the rise of fantasy football measures. And maybe there's no maybe about it. But in the end, what did it get you anyway?

If defenses want to play off coverage and drop 7 all day, now we know there's a possible answer. If they want to bring safeties and LBs up into the short passing lanes, then Rodgers can take his shots. Throwing deep into 2-high safeties is just banging your head against the wall, especially with these receivers, and the head banging has been going for a year, and was building before that. Defenses have adapted to the "old ways"; the offense needs to attack the new vulnerabilities those defensive adjustments expose.
I'm pleased with the offensive rythym established in the second half. I think it will boost the confidence of the entire offense. Now they have 10 days to get Davis ready to carry more of the load. I expect he'll get 6-10 carries next game. The short passing game will eventually open up the longer routes. Rodgers still needs to improve his accuracy imo. Throwing behind too many guys yet and it's hurting yac.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm pleased with the offensive rythym established in the second half. I think it will boost the confidence of the entire offense. Now they have 10 days to get Davis ready to carry more of the load. I expect he'll get 6-10 carries next game. The short passing game will eventually open up the longer routes. Rodgers still needs to improve his accuracy imo. Throwing behind too many guys yet and it's hurting yac.
Davis will get 6-10 carries only if does something decent on the first couple, and that's only if he shows something in practice. McCarthy likes to say he goes with the hot hand; what he doesn't say is he's quick to pull the cold hand in search of something warmer.

Reaction score
Studs
Devante Adams.. that post corner he ran with the defender lost in the sauce was what did it for me. Obviously he should catch a bunch of short passes on stops and his TD catch over the guy was great too but why always has gotten to me with him is his route running. We have seen him run great routes but then he will run a half a** slant and the corner step in front and take it away from him.
D line..
Great push. Seemed every play. They got to the QB which made it easier for young corners and the run game although a few broken runs was great again.

Duds:
I don't want to say I don't agree with going with the hot hand because I agree with it but I would love to see them work to get the ball to Jordy again. I know he doesn't get huge desperation but there have been a few plays even on one the announcers looked at that he has a step. Even if it is just one step maybe Aaron lost a little confidence in him but I would like to seek him brought into game plan more.
Don fu***ng Barclay:
I can't believe no one said it yet. Before I could even notice Lang wasn't in Aaron is getting strip sacked for a TD and I look and who is it none other than the piece of crap Barclay. This guy needs to go. Should have never been resigned. He can't play anywhere. I'm so tired of someone getting injured and him coming in and it all hitting the fan.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would love to see them work to get the ball to Jordy again. I know he doesn't get huge desperation but there have been a few plays even on one the announcers looked at that he has a step. Even if it is just one step maybe Aaron lost a little confidence in him but I would like to seek him brought into game plan more.
Don fu***ng Barclay:
I can't believe no one said it yet. Before I could even notice Lang wasn't in Aaron is getting strip sacked for a TD and I look and who is it none other than the piece of crap Barclay. This guy needs to go. Should have never been resigned. He can't play anywhere. I'm so tired of someone getting injured and him coming in and it all hitting the fan.
'nuff said about Barclay. Nobody here would dispute it. I didn't even know he played.
You are wrong on Jordy though. When they stopped force feeding the ball to him is when other receivers magically "became open" for the quicker passes. I think Jordy has not regained full speed so the close coverage on him is being projected to no one is open. Rodgers keeps waiting on him or forcing it with the same passes he did 2-3 years ago and Jordy isn't making the play. Other players having the same 1/2 step or flashing open are being ignored by Rodgers. Why does a not-as-fast-as-2014 Jordy keep getting sent deep and being covered while the truly healthy speed receivers are being used as decoys? The "slow" receivers mantra is actually more "Jordy is not as fast anymore."

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, seconding Gunter for stud: getting back on the left (defensive right) might've been a key for him after his Dallas disaster on the other side?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't get into the kickoff return blocking in detail simply because I have not looked at it close enough to see what's going on. But on those two returns to the 15 against the Bears, there was no lane anywhere.

Which is why they never should have been brought out of the end zone.

D

Deleted member 6794

duds:

running game

Seriously??? The Packers rushed for 103 yards on 23 attempts (4.5 avg.) without having a running back getting more than two attempts.

I am stunned that players haven't learned this. Take a knee. The 25 is decent starting field position. I would guess that the strong majority of times the ball is taken out of the end zone on kickoffs, the starting spot ends up being worse than the 25.

I agree there's no reason to bring a kickoff out of the end zone. Overall the Packers have done a good job with starting field position after a kickoff ranking sixth in the league at an average of 26.11.

Staff online

Members online