Studs and duds bear game

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paddlehands is a hero this week....but next he will have a forcefield up so that balls ricochet off of his pine tar gloves...enjoy the moment.

Does Crosby have the yips again>\? This season is attrition filled!

Adams has been pretty good year and it was a whopping two kicks.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Just adding my own flavor to what everyone has said. But..

Studs:
D. Adams - I hope this is the beginning of him and Rodgers getting a real chemistry going we'll see how they do against corners that aren't chicago bears.

Ty - Very versital player. He and Cobb are nightmares for other teams if you use them in certain ways so i'm hoping we see more of what we saw today from them both. Speaking of Cobb...

Cobb - gotta catch the ball and get those feet down though.

O-line - Best pass blocking o-line in football in my opinion. TT has to be prasied for releasing Sitton. I'll say that till the season is over.

Perry - gonna be priority to bring him back if he keeps playing like this.

A-rod - He played well. Keep it going.

Duds:
The fact that we played really well for one half against the bears (offensively). Lets not forget they are probably the second worst team in the league.

Kickoff returns when you catch the ball in the end zone.

Not a dud, but Jordy hasn't been a factor the past 3 game now. I'm hoping he's just having a small slump, cause i'm still hoping he can get some speed back and stretch the field as the season goes on.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Studs: Montgomery,(A-rods new ward)
Adams
Clark,Gion
Duds:A-rod first 1/2
MM's challenge(please make a legit one)
Mason
The punter(no auditions this week?)
TT nice experiment at RB but lets one one so that these are not gone leaving Richard Rodgers, or Jordy

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are usually a good cure for what ails a team. Now nine days to get some guys healthy. Let's keep getting Montgomery involved. Is Adams a deep threat ?

H

HardRightEdge

The game plan that was exhibited in the second half tonight was exactly the same plan installed at half time against Dallas, and the same plan employed again in the first half tonight. The only difference was execution. We've waited a year to see it, but when defenses play off coverage and drop 7 down after down, the solution is to throw underneath, control the ball and the clock, and make it death by a thousand cuts. 1 punt against Dallas, 1 punt against Chicago, league leading 3rd. down conversion rate.

The fact this worked so well after just 3 quarters of implementing it, even if tonight was against a lesser opponent, is a credit to all involved given it was a departure from years of running to set up the "downfield first" passing game. Simms observed that Rodgers success tonight was an instance of the offense getting back to what they used to do so well. Hogwash...this offense has never used a ball control passing game as a staple. As I suggested pre-game, we might get a Brees-like 50 throw performance of ****-and-dunk, and that's what we got. If that's what they give you, take it.

Actually, it was working extremely well against Dallas, but was derailed by the turnovers. One notable takeaway from the second half tonight was the receivers working to the open spot on extended plays and made some tough catches.

I wish had a buck for every post where Adams was written off as a bum or wanted him cut in camp, and ten bucks for every time I tried to explain the guy was gimped up all last season. At least some courtesy is being extended to Nelson who clearly is not physically right. I wonder how long that courtesy will last?

Next step: Do it against somebody other than a rookie from Pittsburgh State.

I'd take a quarter for each post bashing McCarthy and Rodgers the last few weeks; you know who you are. While it might have required the RB injuries to force the adjustments, the fact it was impressively tuned up in such short order and on a short week requires a big kudo.

Next step: Do it again against better competition, and that's coming up in 10 days. And when defenses tire of getting dinged to death 4 and 8 times a pop and not being able to get off the field, then the deep game should open up again.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about Jake Ryan? On a play just before a commercial timeout it looked like he got bent back really awkward, saw him grab a knee, but commercial hit and nothing was said. Didn't see him back out there after that.

I seen it. Even said he is hurt bad.... Dont think went to commercial, think they just went to next play, as i was really surprised they showed nothing about it. No injury time out. But dont think it was bad. .

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Paddlehands is a hero this week....but next he will have a forcefield up so that balls ricochet off of his pine tar gloves...enjoy the moment.

Does Crosby have the yips again>\? This season is attrition filled!

I dont think blocks can be soley on a kicker. But he had an impressive streak inside the 40? It was prettty impressive. . . But yips? No

Last edited:

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't really call anybody studs in an ugly win against the Bears and a 3rd string qb. Adams made some good catches for sure. Ty showed some promise. Rodgers got his rhythm with the short passes. But, I still believe this team is sub par.

Major league dud is MM. This idiot continues to pass up points when we aren't moving the ball on the ground. He said it was early in the game, so go for it. BS. You have to take the points in this league, period. I hope this organization cleans house after this season. It's hard to watch.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think any kickoffs fielded in the end zone should be downed and take the ball at the 25. Two attempted returns only made it to the 15. One was the time the Bears recovered the ball for a TD.

I am stunned that players haven't learned this. Take a knee. The 25 is decent starting field position. I would guess that the strong majority of times the ball is taken out of the end zone on kickoffs, the starting spot ends up being worse than the 25.

Unless you are in a position where you really need to try to hit a homerun and you have a home run hitting kick returner, which we don't, it's just not worth it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't really call anybody studs in an ugly win against the Bears and a 3rd string qb. Adams made some good catches for sure. Ty showed some promise. Rodgers got his rhythm with the short passes. But, I still believe this team is sub par.

Major league dud is MM. This idiot continues to pass up points when we aren't moving the ball on the ground. He said it was early in the game, so go for it. BS. You have to take the points in this league, period. I hope this organization cleans house after this season. It's hard to watch.

I will never disagree with a team (other than in rare situational instances) for going for a 4th down at the opposing 1. Even if you fail, you're at such an advantage backing the opposing team up way in their own territory that most of the time you can either force a safety (Matthews should have had one) and get the ball back or force a punt to get another drive in opposing territory.

A power run to Montgomery is probably not the call I would have made, but the concept of going for it in that situation makes sense to me.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Defense, oline and receivers not named Jordy (mainly because Adams looked very good and Coob and Montgomery pulled double duty as running backs). I'm actually hopeful that the Packers will continue to use Montgomery like this even when Lacy gets healthy. Many said that Montgomery played WR like a RB.

Duds: Passing game. I don't care how many completions Rodgers had, the Packers averaged a sterling 5.8 yards per attempt; for reference, the Packers were a terrible offense last season and averaged.....5.8 yards per attempt. An offense that throws 36 passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage is a terrible offense. It worked last night because the Packers were playing a very bad defense but people used to mock Alex Smith for being the exact same QB that Rodgers was last night; the only difference is that Rodgers was allowed to attempt 56 passes.

MM also a dud for not realizing the weapon he had in Montgomery until injuries forced him to stumble upon something that many have been saying, Ty is a terrific, versatile weapon that would allow this offense to create match up issues for defenses.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MM made the wise decision. Playing to win is always preferable over playing to lose by as little as possible. I'm glad that coaches are finally wising up and learning to play the game more aggressively.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The game plan that was exhibited in the second half tonight was exactly the same plan installed at half time against Dallas, and the same play employed again in the first half tonight. The only difference was execution. We've waited a year to see it, but when defenses play off coverage and drop 7 down after down, the solution is to throw underneath, control the ball and the clock, and make it death by a thousand cuts. 1 punt against Dallas, 1 punt against Chicago, lead leading 3rd. down conversion rate.

The fact this worked so well after just 3 quarters of implementing it, even if tonight was against a lesser opponent, is a credit to all involved given it was a departure from years of running to set up the "downfield first" passing game. Simms observed that Rodgers success tonight was an instance of the offense getting back to what they used to do so well. Hogwash...this offense has never used a ball control passing game as a staple. As I suggested pre-game, we might get a Brees-like 50 throw performance of ****-and-dunk, and that's what we got. If that's what they give you, take it.

Actually, it was working extremely well against Dallas, but was derailed by the turnovers. One notable takeaway from the second half tonight was the receivers working to the open spot on extended plays and made some tough catches.

I wish had a buck for every post where Adams was written off as a bum or wanted him cut in camp, and ten bucks for every time I tried to explain the guy was gimped up all last season. At least some courtesy is being extended to Nelson who clearly is not physically right. I wonder how long that courtesy will last?

Next step: Do it against somebody other than a rookie from Pittsburgh State.

I'd take a quarter for each post bashing McCarthy and Rodgers the last few weeks; you know who you are. While it might have required the RB injuries to force the adjustments, the fact it was impressively tuned up in such short order and on a short week requires a big kudo.

Next step: Do it again against better competition, and that's coming up in 10 days. And when defenses tire of getting dinged to death 4 and 8 times a pop and not being able to get off the field, then the deep game should open up again.
I was impressed with the Bears open field tackling. We'd have had some long plays against many teams playing off the receivers like that. A lot of NFL db's struggle to consistently track down and bring down guys like Cobb, Montgomery and Adams in an openfield one on one situation repeatedly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
MM: We had a running game with no running backs.
Rodgers: 2nd half he got his rhythm going
Hunter and Goodson: raw players 4th and 5th string thrust into starting role. With the Pack having an epic run D, I expected bears to attack them relentlessly. With the help of stellar safety play, the young CBs did very well.
Ty and Adams: Yeeeha!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds...special teams
Our special teams coach does not seem to know how to teach blocking. Our punt returner never has a chance to return a punt because tacklers are all over him before he catches the ball. Not even close.
And his choice of Janis as a kickoff returner sucks. Yeah, Janis got lucky a couple times last year but if you watch him; he does not have a clue how to return. And the blocking there sucks also.
Went to bed with a better frame of mind last night. Can't help it. Even though our special teams are not getting the basics down.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Passing game. I don't care how many completions Rodgers had, the Packers averaged a sterling 5.8 yards per attempt; for reference, the Packers were a terrible offense last season and averaged.....5.8 yards per attempt. An offense that throws 36 passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage is a terrible offense. It worked last night because the Packers were playing a very bad defense but people used to mock Alex Smith for being the exact same QB that Rodgers was last night; the only difference is that Rodgers was allowed to attempt 56 passes.

Gotta take what the defense is giving you. It's been pretty obvious this season that the downfield ball isn't working. Whether it's the receivers not getting separation or Rodgers missing throws is another discussion all together. If we can move the chains and control the clock throwing the underneath routes, then by all means keep throwing them.

Going forward, if we can keep having success throwing the underneath routes it's going to force the safeties to play up. That should open up some opportunities to hit the deep ball.

It's not the passing game we've gotten used to seeing from this team, but I definitely wouldn't call it a dud.

Sky King

Reaction score
Stud: Offensive game plan of taking what they're being given rather than trying to impose those tired old game plans that had not been working very well for more than a season's worth of games.

Dud: Da Bears.

This game was like a 5th grader beating-up on a 2nd grader. Of course they should have beaten them. Next game we should know better whether or not they'll fall back into that same old pattern of stubbornly and impatiently attacking the strength of a defense's cover 2 game plan or if they'll consistently seek to attack it's vulnerabilities.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This Packer fan has noticed a lot more stack sets and a lot more clean releases, which I really like. There's going to be growing pains as they move away from the spread ISO but I think that in the end the offense will be much better for it.

Agreed on Adams, with Nelson it seemed like Rodgers wasn't giving him much of a chance to throw him open. On the dropped(defensed) td pass to Cobb Nelson was wide open 5 yards short of the end zone and he might have walked in if Rodgers threw to him. As for his running, they say it can take a player 2 years to fully recover from an ACL, one to come back from an injury and one to trust the knee fully again. I did notice a deep route where Nelson had a step on his man but Rodgers didn't pull the trigger.

I think part of the problem is the connection between Nelson and Rodgers, Rodgers doesn't seem to have a lot of trust in that combination right now.

Ive always been impressed by MMs ability to lock down problems and fix them, I just wish he'd be a bit more proactive at times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts