Studs and duds Bear game

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel showed that he's still a project, he did have atleast one nice stuff but showed he was otherwise too erratic to stay in the game. Look for him to be a difference maker next year.
He is still learning, but I'm liking what I see. He has effort, and strength and he's improving. Give me guys like that all day long, they turn into football players because they know how to work. Right now, he's young and it shows, he'll learn to control that energy and strength and not be out of control on plays, like that cut back by Forte. he should have been the one to clean his clock and put him down right there, instead he took himself out of the play and it went for 20+. I think he'll get better. But I like his pop off the line.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May I ask what McCarthy did wrong? I might be missing something but I am not sure what he did wrong.

Want to say Lacy was a stud.

Duds were the flags, though we were in Chicago and well I expect a lot there.

Who else is there to blame for 10 penalties and double digit missed tackles? Missed tackles have been a problem for the defense for 3-4 season and the problem is still there. The defense looked completely unprepared for the game. If Rodgers wasn't the best player in football, the Packers lose that game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly did MM do wrong to earn a Dud?

Hes not the playcaller anymore. Please explain as I am at a lost as to why MM was a dud today.

Team was sloppy and unprepared. Too many penalties and too many missed tackles. Rodgers bailed him out of another game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who else is there to blame for 10 penalties and double digit missed tackles? Missed tackles have been a problem for the defense for 3-4 season and the problem is still there. The defense looked completely unprepared for the game. If Rodgers wasn't the best player in football, the Packers lose that game.

Team was sloppy and unprepared. Too many penalties and too many missed tackles. Rodgers bailed him out of another game.

Well, we can blame Shields for jumping offsides unless MM is supposed to tell all veteran players not jump offsides before FGs.

Also, the offense and special teams were good and prepared. Does MM not get credit for that?

Does Rodgers get the credit for the two big 4th quarter stops by the defense too? It wasnt just Rodgers late.

Besides, it's week one. Mistakes are expected. There wasn't a single team in week 1 that didn't make them.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we can blame Shields for jumping offsides unless MM is supposed to tell all veteran players not jump offsides before FGs.

Also, the offense and special teams were good and prepared. Does MM not get credit for that?

Does Rodgers get the credit for the two big 4th quarter stops by the defense too? It wasnt just Rodgers late.

Besides, it's week one. Mistakes are expected. There wasn't a single team in week 1 that didn't make them.

Here's my whole point: If MM no longer calls plays for the offense or takes part in the defense or special teams, what are his responsibilities? One would be having the team ready to play and having the right players in the right position. The defense look completely unprepared for the Bears game plan. Penalties and missed tackles was the storyline again. Do you blame Capers for the scheme or MM for not having the players ready?

I just think Fox was the better coach on Sunday.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what you're looking for. Do you want specific tackles that were missed, specific third down conversions that were allowed, specific ground gains against a scheme designed to stop just that? If you'll get specific in your request, I'll do my best to get specific in my examples.

You stated
Unfortunately, these are things that could be fixed, we've been told over and over will be fixed, and then we see them again...and again.

Your word was "these things"

so what things are you referring to?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's my whole point: If MM no longer calls plays for the offense or takes part in the defense or special teams, what are his responsibilities? One would be having the team ready to play and having the right players in the right position. The defense look completely unprepared for the Bears game plan. Penalties and missed tackles was the storyline again. Do you blame Capers for the scheme or MM for not having the players ready?

MM has assistants.. They can be as much to blame as MM along with making sure they have the right workers in the right spots....In my working world, my CEO and very top managers dont get the blame....It starts at supervisors, then their managers, then the upper managers..

I am guessing MM goes over his assistants plans and what players they want where. He probably has final say over it all, but I am pretty sure he would allow his assistants to handle it all..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they did not look completely unprepared for the Bears. They looked very prepared, they just executed for horse hockey on more than a few of them on the defensive side of the ball.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just because he's not calling the plays doesn't mean MM doesn't have a role in the offense during the week. I'd bet he's still heavily involved in the game planning. One of the reasons he let go of play calling was to focus more on STs, so he's also involved in them.

I have no idea who to blame and there are certainly a lot of position coaches involved too so I couldn't even narrow it down to two guys. If the missed tackling continues, then maybe it could be coaches.

The Packers only had the 7th and 8th most penalties in the league the last two seasons so I don't see how it's a storyline again. There's a good chance it's just an anomaly.

John Fox and the Bears have years of tape on the Packers and the Packers had no tape of the Bears new offense too. Overall, when a team is up 31-16 with minutes to go in the game the head coach did his job.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
duds
1. cant stand the offensive line penalties. You know the count! cmon. one or two i can live with. but can we take penalties that would prevent a huge play or something. not ones that directly help the opposing D
2. obviously the run defense. but no Burnett was a factor for sure. The silver lining is that we can give up that many yards on the ground and still win the ball game. What did forte have? 157 yards? If they can limit him to 117 or 127, that in a way could mean less positive down and distance opportunities for the bears or less first downs. Both would lead to another possession or two for the pack.

studs
1. lacy aaron clay. the usual suspects. as well as James Jones who i knew would've been a good pick up months ago even with jordy in the fold. His 2012 season will be repeated to some extent.

Members online

Latest posts