Studs and duds Bear game

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
grrrrr......if I read one more comment about how terrible Sam Shields is, I'm going to go postal. The latest comment was someone suggesting Randall or Rollins should be starting ahead of Shields, really?

He had one bad game people, remember what he has done in the past and chill out.
He should at least be able to pick out cleats that allow him to stay upright. I recall seeing him falling on many cuts.

D

Deleted member 6794

This I agree with (so far) and felt like we overpaid at the time. But currently, he is our best option at his position. So the knee jerk reaction of benching him for the mistakes he made in yesterdays game, aren't founded IMO.

I haven't seen a single post on this forum suggesting to bench Shields.

H

HardRightEdge

Before TJV busts another vein ;), I'd like to share some thoughts not relating to the defense.

First of all, the starting 11 played nearly the entire game, with 3-wide the dominant formation. In 4 wide, Rodgers split out. When a blocking back was called for, Rodgers was the guy as H-back. Starks got a smattering of snaps, Quarless a few late. Did I see Kuhn out there for one offensive snap? Not sure. That's about it.

Interestingly, when Rodgers was not under center he was in pistol, a reprise of last season's injury-compensation approach. I don't think I saw a single 7-yard-deep shotgun set. McCarthy said in the offseason that he liked the pistol set enough to bring it back this year. I seem to recall Rodgers echoing that.

So, what's the reason now that Rodgers is healthy and how should we grade the outcome? The shorter set allows Rodgers to get the ball out a fraction quicker...it's an enhancement to the short passing game. It's early, but for one game anyway it was transformative. It actually looked like a West Coast passing offense with a lot of short timing throws. Rodgers went down field only 3 times, with 2 of those being free plays (complete to Jones, miss to Cobb). There was only one premeditated deep ball that came late in the game. This is quite a departure from Rodgers comments of just a year ago where he said, in effect, that in the final analysis this is a down-the-field passing offense.

It's a good thing to see. Some might argue it's an accommodation to Nelson's absence, and that might be part of it, but it's also the logical answer to the struggles the offense encountered against better defenses playing 2-high safety. Death by 1,000 cuts can be just as effective as a few shotgun blasts.

All in all, a fine group performance, with the emphasis on group. The only notable stumble was that flurry of penalties...Bakhtiari for holding, Bulaga for holding, Bakhtiari for a false start, I think it was, in fairly short order.

"Studs" to the starting 11, to Clements for the play calling, and McCarthy to whatever extent he was involved in the game planning.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to most of it on the radio and have only watched the first quarter on DVR so far, but in terms of the run D it wasn't what I expected to see based on hearing it. I had just assumed that our dlinemen were getting blown off the ball, but that really wasn't it. On Forte's 22 yarder, it was a run left and Raji and Daniels stoned them. It was Pennel who left his gap that opened a huge cutback lane. Also, on Jeffrey's 25 yarder, Sheilds let him go into zone and Barrington just stood there and let Jeffrey go. Two mental mistakes, which I'll take since they can be corrected. Getting smoked because you're not strong enough or have lousy technique is a lot harder to deal with.

Anyway, that's my impression of the first quarter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to most of it on the radio and have only watched the first quarter on DVR so far, but in terms of the run D it wasn't what I expected to see based on hearing it. I had just assumed that our dlinemen were getting blown off the ball, but that really wasn't it. On Forte's 22 yarder, it was a run left and Raji and Daniels stoned them. It was Pennel who left his gap that opened a huge cutback lane. Also, on Jeffrey's 25 yarder, Sheilds let him go into zone and Barrington just stood there and let Jeffrey go. Two mental mistakes, which I'll take since they can be corrected. Getting smoked because you're not strong enough or have lousy technique is a lot harder to deal with.

Anyway, that's my impression of the first quarter.
You're mostly right, they were in positions, they "should" have been making plays. But it alway seems to be something. Thankfully what I saw were somethings that could be fixed, and I think they will get better as the season goes on.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these are things that could be fixed, we've been told will be fixed, and then we see them again...and again.
You're mostly right, they were in positions, they "should" have been making plays. But it alway seems to be something. Thankfully what I saw were somethings that could be fixed, and I think they will get better as the season goes on.

Unfortunately, these are things that could be fixed, we've been told over and over will be fixed, and then we see them again...and again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this defense was playing much better in for much of last year. I think they'll be better. Unless missing 2 DL starters, a run stuffing LB and your best run defender safety shouldn't hinder a defense at all?

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds....run defense(can you say Groundhog Day?) with Datone returning next week and Guion after week 3 we will be just fine.

Datone Jones isn't going to help the run defense. Pennel played pretty well yesterday from what I've seen so far, apart from where he got out of is G-D gap and left a cutback lane. Jones will help the pass rush, but that wasn't that bad yesterday. Guion will help the run defense stay fresh in the 4th quarter, but I really don't think he's better than Pennel anymore. He might be an upgrade over Boyd, but that's probably it. Raji played pretty well too. Most of the big runs were not A-gap runs, they were around the ends where our OLBs are supposed to be setting an edge and our ILBs and safeties are supposed to be flowing and filling and tackling. I really think the issue is with the ILBs and safeties more than the dlinemen and OLBs, and I'm not sure what to do about that. HHCD needs to tackle better, but if he hasn't learned that yet then I'm not sure why we'd think that he will. Also, our ILBs are what they are. I don't see them getting way better, except for maybe Ryan as he picks up the pro game.

Otherwise, I think it's wait until the draft where, for the third or fourth year in a row, we'll all howl about how TT should take an ILB.

H

HardRightEdge

Datone Jones isn't going to help the run defense. Pennel played pretty well yesterday from what I've seen so far, apart from where he got out of is G-D gap and left a cutback lane. Jones will help the pass rush, but that wasn't that bad yesterday. Guion will help the run defense stay fresh in the 4th quarter, but I really don't think he's better than Pennel anymore. He might be an upgrade over Boyd, but that's probably it. Raji played pretty well too. Most of the big runs were not A-gap runs, they were around the ends where our OLBs are supposed to be setting an edge and our ILBs and safeties are supposed to be flowing and filling and tackling. I really think the issue is with the ILBs and safeties more than the dlinemen and OLBs, and I'm not sure what to do about that. HHCD needs to tackle better, but if he hasn't learned that yet then I'm not sure why we'd think that he will. Also, our ILBs are what they are. I don't see them getting way better, except for maybe Ryan as he picks up the pro game.

Otherwise, I think it's wait until the draft where, for the third or fourth year in a row, we'll all howl about how TT should take an ILB.
I think that's an outstanding analysis. The D-Linemen looked be holding ground whereas the second level looked out of sync.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
the O'line, Rodgers was never sacked. The center did a good job.
Rodgers
Lacy
Jones
Matthews

Duds:
Shields
The Packer run defense

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these are things that could be fixed, we've been told will be fixed, and then we see them again...and again.

Unfortunately, these are things that could be fixed, we've been told over and over will be fixed, and then we see them again...and again.

Examples

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

No link or video...

But I know one play Rodgers was back to pass and Kuhn was open 5 yards in middle of field and Rodgers didn't toss to him... I said after why not dump to Kuhn he was open

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nothing BearDropping says in the shout box should ever be paid attention to.
Never heard of the guy before today for sure, but anyone screaming to bench Shields after that game, can't know what they are talking about.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure what you're looking for. Do you want specific tackles that were missed, specific third down conversions that were allowed, specific ground gains against a scheme designed to stop just that? If you'll get specific in your request, I'll do my best to get specific in my examples.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still haven´t been able to watch the replay but PFF has Kuhn with seven snaps on offense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's an outstanding analysis. The D-Linemen looked be holding ground whereas the second level looked out of sync.

Pennel showed that he's still a project, he did have atleast one nice stuff but showed he was otherwise too erratic to stay in the game. Look for him to be a difference maker next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts