Studs and dud bears official

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In case it wasn't mentioned prior.....

Stud: Kyle Fuller. First for opting to not sign a big FA deal with the Packers and two for dropping a gift wrapped interception that probably seals the game for the Bears.

Perhaps Fuller and Gute stuck up a deal back in March. "Mr. Gute, if you offer me some big FA money to up the Bears offer, I will repay you somehow and in someway". Thanks Kyle, enjoy your extra Millions.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just gave up on shoutbox. glad I continued to watch though. what a game!
Lol, the shoutbox in the first half was in classic meltdown mode. If I were a Bear’s fan I would have camped out and enjoyed the train wreck and then snuck out about 10 minutes into the third quarter when it was clear things were not going to end well for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shoutbox was the worst I have ever seen it last night.

When I first joined the sight I enjoyed the Shoutbox, then I quickly found out it was not the place for me during a game. Sure still fun, but a bit too tense and dramatic as well as distracting from the game itself, but I still read the log occasionally. Some great guys in there, so no complaints from me. However, I am going to read last nights log and I'm taking names...some of you are going on the "Wall of Shame" for giving up too easy! ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I just do not understand why MM chooses not to start the game with that way. He also never does. The offensive play-calling in the first half was offensive in the extreme. Then finally at halftime they make an adjustment. It happens like, eery other week.

Rodgers is a great pocket, ball-control passer. I hate seeing him hold the ball for 4+ seconds on every passing play.
espn.com has the play-by-play for each game going back to 2001. They designate each pass as short, intermediate or long. I believe "short" is anything where the ball travels under 10 yards from the LOS. The first opening possession I looked at just now in search of an example was in 2017, week 1, Seattle.

7 plays, 51 yards, ending in an INT. Including the penalty on the opening play it was 8 plays, all short passes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400951601

The Packers went to primarily the pistol set a couple of years ago to facilitate it...the QB gets his eyes up quicker. That's for short timing throws and short route progression.

What I don't understand is why, when the pass rush is killing them or the rhythm is off, McCarthy doesn't go to it. Maybe he is, but the throw isn't there. If I remember, I'll look at the coaches tape for this game once it is available on NFL Game Pass to see what routes were being run early vs. late.

If Collinsworth wasn't so busy running his mouth he'd illustrate some all 22 views. Romo does that. Romo will also set up the play pre-snap, highlighting things we don't see on the screen.

I understand some Packer fans like Collinsworth because he has a habit of gushing over Rodgers, until something goes wrong of course. Some Packer fan boys have expressed dislike of Romo as a commentator because, I guess, it's a Romo/Cowboys thing. If Belichick were running the broadcasts Collinsworth would be traded. ;) "Do your job."

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

In case it wasn't mentioned prior.....

Stud: Kyle Fuller. First for opting to not sign a big FA deal with the Packers and two for dropping a gift wrapped interception that probably seals the game for the Bears.
You know what they say. Many CBs became CBs and not WRs because of their hands.

That terrific pitch and catch on the Allison TD that got the ball rolling was against Fuller. I have Fuller for 3 other short throws surrendered. He's a good ballplayer and will have better days. Schadenfreude is usually not a good look.

Of course had the Packers signed Fuller, it might have been an OLB in round 1 or 2 and we would not have had to suffer through Mack Mania. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Williams had a couple huge blocks for both Kizer and Rodgers.
Williams step-up to stone the blitzing LB on the long toss to Adams was key. You'd be hard pressed to find a better pass blocking RB than Williams. Gold Standard: Marshall Faulk.

I would not overlook Montgomery's two chip blocks that Cobb set up on the winning TD.

There's a lot more to winning actual football games than fantasy stats.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, not worth starting an entire thread over but, since he was a stud, does anyone know why Mike Daniels played so few snaps compared to Wilkerson and Clark? Daniels played 33 snaps while Clark and Wilkerson played 54 and 43, respectively.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these have been mentioned, but:

Studs

Rodgers: the TD throws to Allison and Cobb were top drawer for an uninjured QB. For a QB with a bad knee . . . awesome.
Cobb: 9 catches on 10 targets, including the 75 yarder for the TD. That was one of Cobb's best games ever.
Allison: that TD catch was tough. He was well covered. Excellent concentration.
D. Adams: gets open, makes catches. His TD catch was far from routine. Nice jukes to get it across the line.
Williams: some really excellent blocking in pass protection.
Monty: hustle, effort, ran interference for Cobb on the long TD.
Bakhtiari: did his job
Scott: dude can really kick it
Young DBs: avoiding getting torched. Trubisky made some nice throws into tight coverage in the first half.

Duds

Matthews: not much to show for a lot of running around. Almost blew the game with the stupid late hit.
Offensive coaching staff in the first half: you're facing a very good defense. Call faster developing plays.
Linsley's lookout block on that Kizer interception. ??? Hope never to see that particular screwup again.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should add that it was really nice to see Tramon Williams back. I feel a LOT better about our secondary.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine has us as the 6th best defense right now in terms of yardage.

I can't believe these defensive ranking web sites include Kizer's pick 6 against our defense in terms of points allowed.

H

HardRightEdge

Dud:

I was looking at some replays on NFL Game Pass and noticed something I had missed. Just before the first snap of the winning possession, there was a shot of Danica in the sky box. Sitting right in front of her was some guy in a "Green Bay Packers" t-shirt. He was nodding off!

"What the hell is going on up there!"

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Most of these have been mentioned, but:

Studs

Rodgers: the TD throws to Allison and Cobb were top drawer for an uninjured QB. For a QB with a bad knee . . . awesome.
Cobb: 9 catches on 10 targets, including the 75 yarder for the TD. That was one of Cobb's best games ever.
Allison: that TD catch was tough. He was well covered. Excellent concentration.
D. Adams: gets open, makes catches. His TD catch was far from routine. Nice jukes to get it across the line.
Williams: some really excellent blocking in pass protection.
Monty: hustle, effort, ran interference for Cobb on the long TD.
Bakhtiari: did his job
Scott: dude can really kick it
Young DBs: avoiding getting torched. Trubisky made some nice throws into tight coverage in the first half.

Duds

Matthews: not much to show for a lot of running around. Almost blew the game with the stupid late hit.
Offensive coaching staff in the first half: you're facing a very good defense. Call faster developing plays.
Linsley's lookout block on that Kizer interception. ??? Hope never to see that particular screwup again.
Some really good observations.

A lot of good to take from the 2nd half. The entire team showed me something in the last 30 minutes.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I should add that it was really nice to see Tramon Williams back. I feel a LOT better about our secondary.

The secondary and the defense in general looked better. Not a "lights out" defense by any stretch, but at least competent. Last year there were so many opposing wide receivers running unmolested through GB's secondary, now at least most catches are contested.....The stand at the end of the game was a sign of growth.

I'm not sure how they'll look against elite quarterbacks, but then, most defenses struggle with those. At least they don't have to face Aaron Rodgers......He's a BAAAAD man.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud:

I was looking at some replays on NFL Game Pass and noticed something I had missed. Just before the first snap of the winning possession, there was a shot of Danica in the sky box. Sitting right in front of her was some guy in a "Green Bay Packers" t-shirt. He was nodding off!

That might have been me, I was praying. Me and Danica are old friends. Didnt you know she was Amish?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I can't believe these defensive ranking web sites include Kizer's pick 6 against our defense in terms of points allowed.
They always have. They count kick return TDs against the D as well. Have you ever seen defenses graded by factoring in how good or bad the field position rendered by their respective offenses happen to be? I haven't. Good red zone defense, where 7 points becomes 3, hardly gets a mention. It's one of those things where it gets complicated so you get a raw number that doesn't necessarily mean a lot without getting deep in the weeds. Clearly the upper vs. lower scoring defenses, without point adjustments, are clearly better vs. worse. Those other factors could move a team up or down 5 positions in the rankings if factored in. Maybe more.

A composite of run yard average, passer rating against, red zone TD% and 4th. quarter scoring against would be a better measure than points surrendered even if you took out the messes caused the offense and special teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It wasn't just the play calls. It was the no huddle...Mack and the D-Line were gassed.

I posted this after the game, but I hope to never see the Packers in offensive huddle again, unless they have a large lead. The no huddle is when Rodgers is at his best and as you said, the defense can't substitute and players gets gassed, but more importantly, the DC can't rotate substitutional guys in. Not sure why MM feels the need, especially at home, to pretend that "we got this, no need to look like we are in a hurry". Really, the effect on the play clock is the same, Rodgers takes it down to 5 or under each time anyway, but the key differences are, Rodgers can stand back and study what the defense is looking like and that defense can't substitute.

Dud:

Are you sure that wasn't TT nodding off?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The secondary and the defense in general looked better. Not a "lights out" defense by any stretch, but at least competent. Last year there were so many opposing wide receivers running unmolested through GB's secondary, now at least most catches are contested.....The stand at the end of the game was a sign of growth.

I'm not sure how they'll look against elite quarterbacks, but then, most defenses struggle with those. At least they don't have to face Aaron Rodgers......He's a BAAAAD man.

Seems like Gute has done a good job rebuilding that secondary. Just think, 4 corners played extensive snaps that were not available either all or most of last year. Gute has managed to revamp pretty much the entire cornerback group in one offseason.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They always have. They count kick return TDs against the D as well. Have you ever seen defenses graded by factoring in how good or bad the field position rendered by their respective offenses happen to be? I haven't. Good red zone defense, where 7 points becomes 3, hardly gets a mention. It's one of those things where it gets complicated so you get a raw number that doesn't necessarily mean a lot without getting deep in the weeds. Clearly the upper vs. lower scoring defenses, without point adjustments, are clearly better vs. worse. Those other factors could move a team up or down 5 positions in the rankings if factored in. Maybe more.

A composite of run yard average, passer rating against, red zone TD% and 4th. quarter scoring against would be a better measure than points surrendered even if you took out the messes caused the offense and special teams.

Football Outsiders does this with their defensive grades.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed the first quarter but I was really impressed with Kevin King. This week will be a much bigger test but these young cbs can play. Alexander was a crazy amount of energy as well. Outside of the bad missed tackle I think Dix was solid too. The Packers did a great job with the Bears TEs

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Dud:

somebody not is season form yet for tailgating?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers
Cobb
All the CBs

Duds
Clay
Posters who gave up on the packers
Losers who went to bed at halftime
Fans who hated cobb

I told my son to pick Adams over Cobb for his fantasy team. I told him Cobb was good, but Adams would be the number one target. He took Cobb. Boy was he gloating last night. Heh heh heh...……..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts