Strahan retires

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Link

The New York Giants will begin their road to a defense of their Super Bowl title when mini-camp begins on Wednesday. That defense, however, will be attempted without the services of their team leader, Michael Strahan.

Strahan has told FOXSports.com exclusively that he has decided to retire.
After a lengthy and — for Strahan — up-and-down decision-making process, Strahan said he's hanging up the cleats and wanted to finalize a decision before his teammates gathered for their mini-camp. For months, fans, other players, and his own teammates have wondered whether he would return or not.

"It was important that my teammates knew which way I was going before they got on the field to start the work to defend our title," the team's all-time sack leader said from California. "It's time. I'm done."

Strahan finally made up his mind a week ago but wanted to take the extra days to make sure his feeling on the matter was 100 percent.

He has long believed retirement was the route he would choose but the finality of it gave him problems. In the past two years, Strahan said he has spoken with many high-profile retired players and asked for their advice on retired life, the emotions of the decision and how they knew they were done. The one consistent theme was this: Once you're done, it's forever. Thus, the finality was what posed the biggest problem for Strahan in making the ultimate decision.

"It's a tough decision but I wanted to be fair to the Giants and fair to my teammates," he said.

He leaves the Giants as the team's all-time quarterback sack leader and a sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer. He also leaves after having donned the Blue and White more than any player in Giants history.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is perfect for tv which will no doubt be his second career. One of those guys like Bettis that you are happy to see go out with a ring on his finger. Congrats on a fine career on the field Michael. You will be missed.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made the Giants defense with his leadership on and off the field and his obvious love for the game. Great players like him don't come along every day. I'm glad he was able to get his ring before he retired.

Sadie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should be fun to see him on Fox. He'll bring a lot of character to the already lively bunch they have.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He made the Giants defense with his leadership on and off the field and his obvious love for the game. Great players like him don't come along every day. I'm glad he was able to get his ring before he retired.

Me too. I was happy for him when they won the SB because I had a feeling that was his last game.