Stock, new special teams coach, his last job they ranked 32

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
... out of the 32 teams in the NFL -- which certainly seems compatible with McCarthy's last coaching job, where he was offensive coordinator of the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL with the 2005 San Francisco 49ers.

The guy is 66 years old, which at least breaks the emerging pattern of hires on that level anyway.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Stock, new special teams coach, his last job they ranked

Yeah, but if you read any article about that, he is identified as a highly qualified candidate whose last year was in St. Louis who, by several accounts, never gave a **** about special teams. Practiced all week and on Friday Martz would pull a Slowik and change up scheme and personnel on ST.

His record previous to St. Louis is consistently pretty good....plus I like the "sage veteran" feel of this hire.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Special teams coach Bobby April was fired at the end of the season. Coverage teams were a continual problem in April's three seasons with the Rams. Last year they surrendered two touchdowns on kick returns, two on punt returns, and one on a fumbled punt in the end zone. April's replacement, Mike Stock, has 39 years of coaching experience, the last three as the special teams coach for the Redskins. He was named Special Teams Coach of the Year with the Chiefs in 1997 and his units have consistently ranked among the league's best.

This is what i found on Mike Stock...Looks like he was a fine Special Teams coach before he landed in St. Louis. Take away the Rams job and he has a stellar coaching career.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The guy might be a good coach, but let's look at what he has done in this century;

In 2000 he was in KC and his special teams ranked 25th out of 30 teams.
In 2001 he was in Washington, where his units ranked 17th out of 30 teams.
In 2002 still in Washington, his units finished 31st out of 32 teams.
In 2003 coaching in Washinton they rose to 19th out of 32 teams.
In 2004 in St Louis his special teams ranked last/32nd of 32 teams.
(NOTE: He sat out in 2005 with hip surgery)

So his 5 year average was 25th (two years out of 30 and three years out of 32 teams) This was under 4 different head coaches -- so attempts to but this on Martz (whom he only coached for one season) are pretty weak attempts at rationalization IMO

gotarace27 said:
Special teams coach Bobby April was fired at the end of the season. Coverage teams were a continual problem in April's three seasons with the Rams. Last year they surrendered two touchdowns on kick returns, two on punt returns, and one on a fumbled punt in the end zone. April's replacement, Mike Stock, has 39 years of coaching experience, the last three as the special teams coach for the Redskins. He was named Special Teams Coach of the Year with the Chiefs in 1997 and his units have consistently ranked among the league's best.

This is what i found on Mike Stock...Looks like he was a fine Special Teams coach before he landed in St. Louis. Take away the Rams job and he has a stellar coaching career.

ag

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bruce, at least he has some history. i will take him over the pathetic special teams under mike sherman. i will at least give him the opportunity to show what he can do here.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ag said:
bruce, at least he has some history. i will take him over the pathetic special teams under mike sherman. i will at least give him the opportunity to show what he can do here.

Head to head the numbers don't look good.

Under Bonamego, the Packers ranked eighth in '03, ninth in '04 and 31st in '05 -- when the Packers went into many weeks without a full roster and were scrambling to sign NFLE quality players

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think every coach of every team is a direct reflection of the head coach. Head coaches who put a premium on special teams playing well, always do. But some GM's and head coaches don't draft well and that causes problems. Special teams are generally filled with second and third team players and those who want to make a name for themselves play well on special teams. Under Mike Sherman as an example, I think the schemes were bad. How many times did you see a guy just not stay in his lane. I also thought Mike's teams played soft. I can't remember but a few times when I ever saw anyone on special teams or on defense when any player just knocked someone out of their shoes. That's not a reflection on Bonemego or Nowak, it's a reflection on the head coach.

My point you ask? We have to wait and see what McCarthy and his staff will emphasize. If he wants a tough team he'll have to draft players who are tough and he'll have to set expectations for toughness. Now if they play the schemes right, they'll be good on special teams.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

digsthepack said:
Yeah, but if you read any article about that, he is identified as a highly qualified candidate whose last year was in St. Louis who, by several accounts, never gave a **** about special teams. Practiced all week and on Friday Martz would pull a Slowik and change up scheme and personnel on ST.

His record previous to St. Louis is consistently pretty good....plus I like the "sage veteran" feel of this hire.

I dunno how i feel about this. His immediate numbers dont look good at all, but then theres the 'highly qualified' that is thrown around his name, and some of the teams he was on, their players were malcontents and stuff...a lot of other factors besides the ranking of the 32 teams.

I'll assume MM\TT feel he is a football guy and right for the team. 66 years old...that should be funny, i picture the old trainer guy in Seinfeld. Innocent until proven guilty. At least theres some hope here. We KNEW bonegememo sucked balls, and this guy is at least respected(theres probably a reason for it, naysayers, reasons you dont know about..so your opinion means less than theirs). Why dont you pick up that TV?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a very exciting hire. Hopefully this guy's special teams can be more like they were in the 90's and less like they were in the 00's. I always thought that all of the dumping on Bonamego was misguided. The quality of the players is what is most important to special teams. The schemes are very similar all over the league. The performance of the special teams this year will mostly tell us if Ted Thompson is filling out the lower half of the roster with quality players. And if they play with fire, that will be more a reflection of the head coach than the special teams coach.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

this hire is like the Jagnonowski hire. You dont know much about the man, but he'll have to do a hell of a job to be worse than the man before him.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:
this hire is like the Jagnonowski hire. You dont know much about the man, but he'll have to do a hell of a job to be worse than the man before him.

And if they do I have a lot of tequila to ease the pain !!!!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
ag said:

Under Bonamego, the Packers ranked eighth in '03, ninth in '04 and 31st in '05 -- when the Packers went into many weeks without a full roster and were scrambling to sign NFLE quality players

Hold on now - ag's right - you take away the Rams job and he looks waay better than Bonamego. We all know a definite change was in order - how many times did Bonamego ever get a Desmond Howard run back....ever?
What's more, I read that Mike Martz was even more controlling than Mike Sherman (Havel reported that MS wouldn't allow Assistants to chew out the Players... why is that?). Martz would allow Special Teams to practice with a certain set of Players and approach - then on Friday switch everythng without warning - I read a similar report about Sherman some time ago --- that will kill a team's option for winning every time... Let's back up the ship just a bit and see what happens.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was not just in St. Louis

here are the numbers -- which I admit only tell a partial story

Bruce said:
The guy might be a good coach, but let's look at what he has done in this century;

In 2000 he was in KC and his special teams ranked 25th out of 30 teams.
In 2001 he was in Washington, where his units ranked 17th out of 30 teams.
In 2002 still in Washington, his units finished 31st out of 32 teams.
In 2003 coaching in Washinton they rose to 19th out of 32 teams.
In 2004 in St Louis his special teams ranked last/32nd of 32 teams.
(NOTE: He sat out in 2005 with hip surgery)

So his 5 year average was 25th (two years out of 30 and three years out of 32 teams) This was under 4 different head coaches -- so attempts to but this on Martz (whom he only coached for one season) are pretty weak attempts at rationalization IMO

IPBprez said:
Bruce said:
ag said:

Hold on now - ag's right - you take away the Rams job and he looks waay better than Bonamego. We all know a definite change was in order - how many times did Bonamego ever get a Desmond Howard run back....ever?
What's more, I read that Mike Martz was even more controlling than Mike Sherman (Havel reported that MS wouldn't allow Assistants to chew out the Players... why is that?). Martz would allow Special Teams to practice with a certain set of Players and approach - then on Friday switch everythng without warning - I read a similar report about Sherman some time ago --- that will kill a team's option for winning every time... Let's back up the ship just a bit and see what happens.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The comment about Mike Martz "was valid" - it's in print.....
What is this - the 9/11 Commission avoiding Able Danger for profit?

This guy has just as much a chance to prove himself as Bonamego was given - I would even offer "more of a chance"... It all depends on how much real consistency and support the STC sees from his HC.

Remember, Bonamego had to deal with a very similar coaching style with Mike Sherman, as what this guy saw from Mike Martz. Tell me again why Martz is no longer the HC of St. Louis? It has to be more than medical.....

quoted from the PackersNews article on Winston Moss said:
In addition to his stint with the Chiefs, Stock coached special teams for the Washington Redskins from 2001 to 2003 and with the St. Louis Rams in 2004. Stock was fired by former St. Louis coach Mike Martz after the 2004 season and spent the last season out of football while he recovered from hip replacement surgery.

After the year away from football, Stock is excited to get back into coaching.

“I’m as spry as a guy can be half my age,â€

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPB: I wrote the guy might be a good coach...

Some one please explain to me how saying let's look at his recent accomplishments is being a half-empty glass kind of guy???

I thought this was a football forum to discuss the Green Bay Packers and football. I offered nothing negative about anyone and lined up his recent accomplishments -- since it is the off season there is not a lot more to look at is there? I have always said stats don't tell the whole story, but they do offer information from which some opinions can be formed in an informed method -- nothing more, nothing less.

I have not beef with you and never had one in the past. How did we evolve to the place that if anyone questions or analyses front office moves and coaching hires that they are seen as being excessively negative or half full kind of guys.

I think I have been around long enough for anyone who knows my writing to know I am not excessively negative or pessimistic.

In a thread above DePack asks about whether or not McCarthy has talked about getting involved with local charities yet, and follows that with predicting that he will follow that Packer prediction. The responses he got were as if he said McCarthy was Satans evil twin -- why is that???

IPBprez said:
The comment about Mike Martz "was valid" - it's in print.....
What is this - the 9/11 Commission avoiding Able Danger for profit?

This guy has just as much a chance to prove himself as Bonamego was given - I would even offer "more of a chance"... It all depends on how much real consistency and support the STC sees from his HC.

Remember, Bonamego had to deal with a very similar coaching style with Mike Sherman, as what this guy saw from Mike Martz. Tell me again why Martz is no longer the HC of St. Louis? It has to be more than medical.....

quoted from the PackersNews article on Winston Moss said:
In addition to his stint with the Chiefs, Stock coached special teams for the Washington Redskins from 2001 to 2003 and with the St. Louis Rams in 2004. Stock was fired by former St. Louis coach Mike Martz after the 2004 season and spent the last season out of football while he recovered from hip replacement surgery.

After the year away from football, Stock is excited to get back into coaching.

“I’m as spry as a guy can be half my age,â€

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On that other thread - all that was said about MM was supportive --- the original poster left it open to what people "might think" he meant... which was done, obviously, on purpose... to get a pre-planned reaction from the masses.

As for this line of thought - I wasn't jumping down your throat....
Remember, it's Beer Friday - relax a bit... I was saying that we need to be optimistic -- I, for one, am glad Sherman's moved on - I wish him luck, but still glad he's gone. His indecisiveness was a cancer, as was his conservativism to play prevent football, ala Marty Schottenheimer - and you guys know... how I feel about that.... He who hesitates is lost.. remember?

I have yet to see (or feel) a bad move, so far, with what McCarthy's done. Personally, with the youth on this Team, it can't hurt to have a younger Coaching Staff - even if Stock is on the nigh side of 900. Like he said, he's got two new hips and he's ready to get out there in uniform, himself - I like that kind of moxie and I think he'll generate quite a bit of respect amongst the troops.

When I see (or feel) a bad move - you can bet I'll speak up about it.
Hang in there, Bruce - we're fine!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bruce said:
IPB: I wrote the guy might be a good coach...

Some one please explain to me how saying let's look at his recent accomplishments is being a half-empty glass kind of guy???

I thought this was a football forum to discuss the Green Bay Packers and football. I offered nothing negative about anyone and lined up his recent accomplishments -- since it is the off season there is not a lot more to look at is there? I have always said stats don't tell the whole story, but they do offer information from which some opinions can be formed in an informed method -- nothing more, nothing less.

I have not beef with you and never had one in the past. How did we evolve to the place that if anyone questions or analyses front office moves and coaching hires that they are seen as being excessively negative or half full kind of guys.

I think I have been around long enough for anyone who knows my writing to know I am not excessively negative or pessimistic.

In a thread above DePack asks about whether or not McCarthy has talked about getting involved with local charities yet, and follows that with predicting that he will follow that Packer prediction. The responses he got were as if he said McCarthy was Satans evil twin -- why is that???

Because there are some here who will get all pissy and defensive no matter what you say. The truth is that the changes that the Packers are making seem to be poorly thought out and uninspiring at best.
Out come the green & gold glasses and anyone who dares speak about what is obvious to the rest of the league will be labeled as a ******, a troll or a fair weather Packer fan.
This is just a desperate attempt to put a spin on some bad moves and I personally love what the Packers are doing this off-season. Keep up the good work guys!
:D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IPBprez said:
On that other thread - all that was said about MM was supportive --- the original poster left it open to what people "might think" he meant... which was done, obviously, on purpose... to get a pre-planned reaction from the masses.

As for this line of thought - I wasn't jumping down your throat....
Remember, it's Beer Friday - relax a bit... I was saying that we need to be optimistic -- I, for one, am glad Sherman's moved on - I wish him luck, but still glad he's gone. His indecisiveness was a cancer, as was his conservativism to play prevent football, ala Marty Schottenheimer - and you guys know... how I feel about that.... He who hesitates is lost.. remember?

I have yet to see (or feel) a bad move, so far, with what McCarthy's done. Personally, with the youth on this Team, it can't hurt to have a younger Coaching Staff - even if Stock is on the nigh side of 900. Like he said, he's got two new hips and he's ready to get out there in uniform, himself - I like that kind of moxie and I think he'll generate quite a bit of respect amongst the troops.

When I see (or feel) a bad move - you can bet I'll speak up about it.
Hang in there, Bruce - we're fine!

WTF are you talking about. I opened that thread in an honest attempt to get some information. Don't read into it....expert :twisted:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then re-phrase your contemplations..... You left it open for interpretation...mister :twisted: :twisted:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interpret this......just read the post and stop trying to be some sort of forum expert psychologist.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts