Stinkin' It Up in San Diego

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, last night's game was a rude awakening for Packer fans. The first-team offense and defense could not have played worse in the first quarter, and they weren't much better in the second. This looked like the same team that went 4-12 last season. Hopefully things will get better as the preseason continues. Here are some thoughts:

The first-team interior O-line was a disaster, especially on pass plays. I don't know who exactly was to blame in there, because I didn't videotape it and the broadcasters were being stingy with the replays. But the pressure on pass plays was all coming through the middle, just like last season.

Davenport, Gado, and Herron did very little, not that they had much opportunity with the poor blocking. Davenport runs just as high as he always has, and he still looks like an injury waiting to happen. And at least to me, he still looks like a change-of-pace back, rather than a starter.

Greg Jennings had two crucial drops on that drive late in the second quarter. But he made a couple good plays later, and I think he'll be fine. Rookies are going to have some drops, especially in the preseason. The encouraging thing is that he got open consistently.

Fergie made a very nice catch on a long, high pass from Favre. I think he will be our #2 receiver.

Rod Gardner made a couple of nice catches, and he should be either the #3 or #4 receiver, along with Jennings.

Aaron Rodgers looked even better in this game than he did in the scrimmage. There is no longer a big drop-off in quality between Favre and Rodgers, like there was last year, although Favre is still better. Bummer about the interception, but Boerigter, a tall receiver, was one-on-one with a DB, and he is supposed to catch that high pass or at least knock it away.

Brian Wrobel was the third QB to come in, so he must've passed up Ingle Martin on the depth chart.

Ahmad Carroll sucked. Whatever progress he made late last season was not in evidence last night. He's short and he has poor ball skills. The coaching staff has always maintained that his speed will make up for getting beaten in coverage, but it doesn't, unless the ball is underthrown. This is the NFL. No cornerback can afford to get beaten in coverage.

Woodson and Harris didn't look very good either. But Harris has always sucked in the preseason, and Woodson seems like the same kind of player. There is reason to think that they will step it up when the games count. I'm more worried about Woodson, because he's been injured a lot and needs to prove himself again.

Rookie safety Tyrone Culver always seems to be around the ball, but he is usually a step too late to make the play. With more experience, maybe he can gain that extra step and be a good player for us.

A.J. Hawk got torched by Antonio Gates on the first drive, but he made a few nice plays after that. I was encouraged by his performance.

Abdul Hodge, on the other hand, did not look like anything special. Neither did Ben Taylor, Roy Manning, or that guy named White. Except for Hawk, the outside linebackers did a poor job.

Ryan outpunted Sander again, easily. He hit a 55-yarder and a 51-yarder, both of which had 10-yard penalties tacked onto the end of them.

Rich Gannon made his debut as a color commentator. He talked and talked and talked without saying much of anything original. At times I thought I was still listening to Bill Maas. He used his "chalkboard" like a child with a color crayon. He said lots of nonsense like, "Consistency (or some such thing) is important, especially in the preseason." Really, Rich? More important than in the regular season? You might want to think about that.

Anyway, it was a shaky start for the McCarthy era. The Packers were completely outclassed on both sides of the ball. Let's hope for better next week.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will get better. How much? No one knows. Coaches can give you the information, but you have to hope that the talent level of the players is as such that they will be able to execute what the coaches want. Here is the bottom line, as it always is, the players have to want to make the improvements. The head coach has to inspire his team to be better and if all that happens, we'll get better.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have lots of correcting to do, will they get this all in time for a regular game? I dont know, lots to do.

I just felt sorry for Brett, we need some great veterin players around him that know what they are doing. A team that plays physical, they surely werent physical against San Diego...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, the O-Line was awful as I have been predicting. But, hey, they will be OK because they have bodies in those positions, or at least thats what I hear

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the oline was fine, except the left side(and when backups [coston] ) came in.

i love this 'the sky is falling' bullsh!t, you guys sound stupid.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

i love this 'the sky is falling' b.s., you guys sound stupid.

I'm not sure how you can say the oline was fine...they were terrible. The defense was getting WAY too much pressure on Favre and Rodgers even if they were blitzing. Not happy at all with the performance last night.

If one side of the line is falling apart, it brings down the entire line.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well there have been a lot of upsets this weak......but its only preseason

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

LOLOLOLOL - The O-Line was fine? One Side was fine? Are you kidding? Brett was being put on his back left and right. The pressure wasn't from one side it was from all sides. Outside, inside, left, right

Our RB'S had 14 carries for 23 yards!!!! How can you say the O-Line was fine?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well no one has been saying how do we beat San Diego because for the past weeks they've only been playing themselves.

Remember Caroline a few years ago went 4-0 in preseason then went 7-9 in regular season.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
no, mostly left actually.

It was the whole line. The pressure was coming from the right and the middle just as much as the left, sorry.

Not to mention we couldn't run the ball to either side.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, it was mostly left. sorry. you should still be gloating though, you predicted the colledge struggle. I woulda expected it more from spitz myself, since colledge was drafted before him,etc.

and yeah, colts did 0-4 it up last year.

(im not saying we're the colts...)

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preseason is mostly second and third stringers so none of that matters

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except when your first stringers are out there and getting it handed to them play in and play out. If I was MM I would have yanked Brett after the first sack. GB better straighten out this line or just let Brett sit all pre-season.

Reaction score
tromadz said:
no, it was mostly left. sorry. you should still be gloating though, you predicted the colledge struggle. I woulda expected it more from spitz myself, since colledge was drafted before him,etc.

and yeah, colts did 0-4 it up last year.

(im not saying we're the colts...)

Spitz still has a ways to go. He delivered half decent cut blocks, but it's no good if the defender falls on top of you and is up in about 2 seconds. However he did play average, and played like he was a rookie who was prepared to step into a starters role.

Wells was decent. Not great, but he was tough. His man did get penetration at times, but Wells stood his ground.

College struggled. No other way to sugar coat it. He was just awful. It isn't mental mistakes, but moreso that College played stiff, and his man was able to go around College without having College put much of a fight. Seemed to be too passive, instead of being aggresive and taking the fight to the D-Line.

Henderson surprisingly missed (slipped?) on a blitz, he read it pefectly, just failed to block.

Davenport was bad. He failed to pickup blitzes, and when he did, he looked uninterested in blocking. He was responsible for the dreadful first Q, along with College for the most part.

College needs some MAJOR work.

Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Except when your first stringers are out there and getting it handed to them play in and play out. If I was MM I would have yanked Brett after the first sack. GB better straighten out this line or just let Brett sit all pre-season.

I agree. I was yelling when Favre got hit, then hit again, and hit yet again on 3 straight plays. McCarthy would have become public enemy #1 if anything happened to Favre, which was very possible after the beating he took.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

The O-line was fine??? How many times was Favre on his back in the first quarter???

tromadz said:

It is pretty obvious who the idiot is if you think that o-line was doing a good job. Take off the green and gold glasses for a minute and try looking at reality. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
please dont call me an idiot, Robert C. Hedley.

I never said the oline was doing a good job. Maybe the idiot is the one who can not read.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its week 1 preseason and there are a lot of new changes and I think everyone is entirly to worried. Are o-line has never played together yet in a game and McCarthy waited to long to roll Favre out and once he did we really started doing better. I for one and not happy with how we played but i also understand that this game means nothing and it is the time were we are going to get pratice see how certain things work. Next week we should see improvement, but dont expect to be blown away with how much better the lines plays. I thoght Rodgers looked great and we have all heard about the 50-50 ball, well Rodgers threw it and Boerighter didnt really try to come down with it or atleast knock it away from the cb. I thought Jennings looked good he had 2 drops early 1 was for a 1st down but he looked sharp after that catching everything that came his way even when the cb was holding onto one of his arms he caught like a 50 yarder Gardner looked good as well. Our cbs played a lot of man to man and the coaches just wanted to see how well they would do. I didnt see a lot of blitzing i think we should have did a little more but it is only preseason so it doesnt matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts